Wegmans Employee Reviews in United States

Very flexible work schedualing, mostly frienldy to work for
Culinary customer service/Full Time Cook II (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 5, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service and promptly waiting on customers. Management how ever does not look out for it's employees and moving up in the company is very hard to do. Co-workers vary from those who are easy going and like able to just the opposite as is in any work place. For the most part however the environment is easy going and fun. The hardest part of our work day I would say is making every customer happy it's not always easy but we always made sure it happened. The most enjoyable part of the day would be interacting and making customers happy.
Pros
Very flexible work schedual and good benefits
Cons
Hard to work your way up the chain of command
I met some great people and I enjoyed talking about the product I was selling.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 3, 2016
Cultish, Gossipy, Management was not very understanding about employees health problems, hours were inconsistent or changed without team members being made aware.
Pros
Benefits. Good pay and for the most part everyone was nice.
Cons
Sometimes you aren't given a lunch and you are not paid for lunch even if you dont get one, cult-like atmosphere, gossip and drama, some employees were consistently given "garbage work" when co-workers didn't want to do it, co-workers ignored customers, no formal training, and no discussions when we should've been having meetings about shipments, changes, etc.
Decent First Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Wegmans is a good place to work while in high school and college as a way to raise money for college. The management team there is very nice but don't expect to just sit around and get paid they expect ,like any job, that once you punch in you are ready to work.
Pros
25 cents/hr Raises every 6 months and many more breaks than any other part time place around
Cons
hard to get hours if your a college student
Great coworkers Poor advancement Oppurtunities
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYApril 2, 2016
Enjoyed working at wegmans. However when I decided to advance in my career with them after working almost 4 years with them I was told I could have the opportunity to advance. Little did I know that a week later I was told that management had change their minds and decided to give the postion to a less experienced person who had been there for only a year.
Pros
Scholorship
Cons
Lack of Respect from management
Everything is awful except your close coworkers
Baker (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAOctober 9, 2015
Wegman's is said to be the #1 company in America... That may be true in other stores but Downingtown Wegman's is a mess. The benefits are great sure... if you qualify. Management is absolutely atrocious, they don't do any work but they'll spend all day gossiping with each other. If you aren't a manager then you are treated like trash and yes, managers have been known to purposefully sabotage employees and customers through neglect and poor ethics. Also they will cheat you out of pay that you're entitled to if you don't keep constant track of your hours and basically hold their hand until they pay you what you deserve. If you want to work for Wegman's it's a great start to any fulfilling career... Just don't go to Downingtown, Pennsylvania for a job there.
Family oriented enviroment, great company
Customer Service Produce (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 27, 2015
I started at the break of dawn most mornings, pulling shrink and replenishing shelves with new product. Each employee had a particular zone of the produce floor they were responsible for maintaining through out the day. Freshness and quality were top priorities for the produce. Customer interaction was the bright point of the days duties. I learned an tremendous amount of product knowledge and how to apply that knowledge to preparing healthy meals. Management was the best I have experienced thus far. I didn't find any parts of my job particularly hard because I enjoyed what I was doing.
Pros
Benefits, Location
Cons
Very friendly staff and always a welcoming environment
Customer Service Representative /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDDecember 20, 2015
I learned a lot of core values working at Wegmans, it shows that people always be courteous to one another and have plenty of customer service skills. There was never a dull day, employees and management were always kind and concerned for our well being. A typical day at work included signing in and just doing your job while having some laughs with co-workers, and always talking to customers. It was very enjoyable each day, the hardest part would be getting the hang of training at first then everything is easy.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Okay place for part-time
Front-End Customer Service Advanced (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NYDecember 20, 2015
Started in one department and was lucky enough to train and move around to multiple other ones. However upper management is very poor and a lot of nepotism is used to give promotions and hours.
Pros
Good company culture
Cons
Poor upper management, no career growth
Busy but Fulfilling Workplace
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, MDOctober 24, 2015
In my position there's always a bit of short staffing, but the managers do their best to work within your availability so that you can properly balance work with the rest of your life. You could learn the typical busy and slow times during a typical work day/week in under a month as things are relatively predictable. There are frequent employee appreciation events, and interesting charity raffles, bake sales, and contests. The vast majority of my coworkers were wonderful people to work with, and management is pleasant to work with and does their best to listen.
Pros
Lots of employee appreciation, employee-only coupons, great benefits and pay
Cons
Some areas chronically understaffed
Productive place to work with fun people
Market COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYOctober 15, 2015
Wegmans is a great place to work, if you are looking to become a chef or any other career in food service. It is also a great place to start out as a part timer. You can be over looked in advancing your career, if you dont have a close realtionship with managenent. Overall I would reccomend anybody to apply at wegmans, just remember you have to work hard to move up.
Pros
401k, BENEFITS, SALARY
Cons
SHORT BREAKS, SCHEDULING

Want to know more about Wegmans?

Ask a question
Great Benefits at Wegmans
Produce Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYMarch 7, 2016
I enjoy working at Wegmans. I have developed a strong rapport with several of my customers. The company offers great benefits for part time employees.
Cons
Job advancement is difficult.
Wegmans
Service Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 2, 2015
Wegmans has a great atmosphere and provides many opportunities for their employees. Unfortunately they do have an employment ladder which slows down advancement and they do not take a college education into consideration when providing advancement opportunities.
Pros
great culture, positive management, promotes from within
Cons
work life balance
There are worse places
customer service (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 24, 2015
Overall, this is not the worst place to work. They have employee events and a generally positive atmosphere. However, some departments are unpleasant to work for if you need any sort of accommodation. They fired me a week before maternity leave was supposed to start. I mean, that was probably just a coincidence, right? I would advise to keep your personal life personal. Don't add coworkers on facebook. Don't talk about anything not directly relevant to the task at hand. Gossip runs rampant. It doesn't have to be true or even plausible. If anyone asks you how you like working there, make sure you only say positive things. They'll find a way to get rid of people who don't fit there happy façade.
Pros
employee events, free meal coupons, mostly positive staff.
Cons
Evaluations are incredibly subjective, which gives them plenty of room to create reasons to fire people they don't like.
Learned several different areas
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Warrington, PAMarch 2, 2016
The managers were very good at working with your schedule. The only problem was you had to work every weekend. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to make sushi, sub rolls, pizza and work with different cultures. The customers were also enjoyable to meet and help. Customers showed their appreciation when you gave them great service.
Pros
Learning new skills.
Cons
Working every Saturday.
Great opportunity for cross traing in different departments in prepared foods or other departments
Prep Chef /Catering/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gambrills, MDAugust 6, 2015
Wegmans offers good Job and Heath Benefits. One downside as part time employee I am no longer meeting 30 hr requirement for health coverage due to my schooling. Loosing coverage. Wegmans offers job security , not a lot of advancement. Store Manager, outstanding. Kitchen management does not meet my expectations.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Leadership in kitchen
Fun place and people to work with
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 7, 2016
a typical is like the morning sunshine once you wall into the doors of Wegmans food market. The greetings from every angle and hugs just warms my heart on the daily basis. Everyone is committed on getting the work done as a team and incredible customer service is the reason Wegmans is one of the best places to work for in America.
Pros
going above and beyond to help, incorperating family life with work life, alwayas appreciating employees
Cons
none for now
Friendly working environment for all
Bakeshop Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 17, 2016
Wegmans is a fun and friendly workplace. I learned that teamwork helps to complete the biggest or smallest of tasks. You instantly make friends on the job. Hardest part of the job is shifts can be scattered depending on your PT/FT status. Enjoy making a difference to co-workers and customers.
Pros
PTO, benefits
Ok place to work for. Very stressful. Management didn't care enough about my needs and I was constantly on the verge of a panic attack.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJune 2, 2016
A typical day at work was ringing out customers in the café or the front end. The front end was non-stop. I felt that it was slave labor. I learned to stand up for myself and tell them look I can't handle it anymore. I told them either they would have to keep me in the café, switch me to another department or I would have to quit. I felt that certain managers did not care enough about my needs. They knew I have really bad anxiety and they didn't care and wouldn't work with me. My co-workers were really good towards me. The hardest part of the job was the non-stop slaving on the front end. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the café at first because it's not as crazy.
Pros
Coworkers were nice. Got to try different things.
Cons
Managment didn't care enough, slaving on the front end, sometimes rude customers
Team work
Customer Service - Front End/Produce (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 23, 2016
A typcial day at Wegmans has a high paced atmosphere that requires the employees to work hard and work together to effectively run operations. I've learned the importance of effective leadership and what it takes to bring out the best in my co-workers. Management provides the tools necessary to allow growth from within the various departments. My co-workers have grown to be people I can rely and depend on. Building relationships with co-workers has proven to be a big reason for success. The hardest part of the job is not being able to provide exactly what the customer is asking for. The best we can do as employees is find the best alternative to try and satisfy what the customer is looking for. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to establish great and lasting relationships with my co-workers. They have grown to become friends and make the workplace a fun place to be.
Great place to work if you never have plans of moving up in the world.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
I have worked at Wegmans for four years and I can honestly say it is great if you need extra cash, or are really young like I was when I started. Unfortunately, Wegmans has a lot of problems with management and I could list a multiplicity of things but here's four problems with examples.

1.) Wegmans Good Ole Boys Club
Wegmans has a habit of employing the young and beautiful. I'm 22, definitely not what you'd consider old, but definitely older than most of my fellow co-workers. Wegmans has no problem promoting you to front end coordinator, pushing you into different departments, or promoting you to department coordinator, as long as you do it in the first 6 months you're working there. For some reason there's this really sick atmosphere that promotes all the newest employees into positions of power while everyone else is left fighting on the bottom end of the totem pole. It's weird and extremely obnoxious considering there are people with degrees who can't get promoted to store manager, but a recent high school grad is upper management before you know it.

2.) Communication is HORRIBLE
If you ever have to call off for something, make sure you call 3 times that day to let them know you can't come in because your message WILL NOT be passed around and you may end up with a strike on your record.

3.) Work/Life Balance is a Joke
I remember when I began at Wegmans, my hours were from 4-8, I was 18 and didn't have a car- the hours were perfect because my father had cancer and had to drive me to work after his chemo. When orientation was over, they switched me from 5-10,
  more... which I was not pleased about since I was starting college and had an 8 o'clock class the next morning. When I talked to a manager about this, she told me that "they had a business to run," and couldn't be concerned with my college schedule or my father's chemotherapy. I think about that a lot now every time I want to quit. Also, there are a lot of employees who work 7 days a week without any breaks in between and in physically demanding positions all for the hope of moving up a job ladder that doesn't exist.

4.) No SECURITY in the store. Unless you're planning on shoplifting.
Literally, there is no security for employees. They have cameras above every register to make sure you're not stealing any precious "nickels and dimes," from the cash register, but let a man walk into the store with a gun and there's no help for you anywhere. I've had plenty of incidents late at night with hostile customers where I've felt less than safe, only to look around and realize my front end manager is not on the front end, and the closest thing to a telephone is behind the customer service desk.

5.) 400 Employees in the store and I can count the number of people of color on one hand.
Wegmans has a horrible habit of not being as "diverse," as they pretend to be and when they do employ people of color, they're often not in the same department. The store I work at has over 400 employees, and I'm pretty sure our store employes maybe 25-30 people of color. It makes for a very unpleasant environment when we are forced to celebrate holiday traditions that are not relatable but also make us feel like we are "mocking," something that does not belong to us.
Pros
Fellow co-workers are nice, Clean working areas, simplification
Cons
No Diversity, Hours are cut or added depending on who does the schedule, Promotion to newly hired employees, Physically demanding in every department

4.3