Wegmans

Wegmans Employee Reviews

Would not want family or close friends to work there
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  Northboro, MAMarch 14, 2014
Wegmans is a great place to shop. Wegmans is NOT a great place to work, especially if you are over 35. All promotions are geared toward the young.

It is a fast-paced work environment, which is great. As a clerk in the seafood department, primarily on the ready-to-cook side, production of ready to cook entrees was a great way to keep busy and to educate our customers on the policy of sustainability.

The department manager is excellent and fair. The middle-management and upper management are less than fair.

Some of my co-workers are productive and knowledgeable, others come in and collect a paycheck but do not earn it.

The hardest part of the job is watching some skate by and not do the work they are being paid for. Also, it's not fair watching people be promoted when the promotion clearly belongs to someone older who also interviewed for the positions.

I really do enjoy the interaction with the customers. It's fun taking live lobsters out of the tank and showing them to the little ones. I love educating the customers on the differences between the types of fish and the meaning of sustainability.
Pros
meeting people, working with some of the great folks who work there
Cons
long commute, unrealistic treatment of management
Amazing Company That Does What It Says.
Demonstration Chef/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2015
Wegmans is, hands down, the best company I have ever worked for. They focus on happy customers and employees and create a wonderful environment for both. They offer great benefits, flexible schedules, and just a wonderful atmosphere to work in. They hire people with drive and dedication; I did not work with a single person who wasnt a pleasure to work around/with. The management team is caring and understanding. They are approachable and easy to communicate with. During my time with Wegmans I was given so many opportunities to learn and grow, working in multiple departments and always having new training to take part in. Wegmans strives to be the best at what they do and they do a great job at it. Their brand is extremely high quality; and always innovating to provide the best for their employees and customers. The CEO/Owners make a point to visit each and every store and their presence is always celebrated instead of feared. The company is run more like a small business, remaining focused on what is truly important; customer satisfaction, instead of like a big company. Truly a pleasure to work for Wegmans!
Pros
positive and fun work environment, amazing management and coworkers, high quality products and services.
Cons
grocery hours, work most holidays
A great place to buy and learn about food, and the free samples are AWESOME!
Produce Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJOctober 8, 2012
Wegmans is a great place to work if you get your foot in the door. It's a place where you can be challenged with work and interact with the customers in a general capacity or go above and beyond by showing the customer what Wegmans offers. You can also learn from the customers and the staff so the next customer can benefit along with yourself. Management is very flexible in their attitude and allows a worker to take ownership of a project and run with it, but also giving the proper prods so the project stays on track and not over cumbersome. The co-workers are more like family then simple co-workers. Almost all of them will pitch in to help a cause and help the customer have a great shopping experience. I love going to work everyday because there is always something to learn and the customers bring a great wealth of knowledge about food preparation and cultural diversity. I've learn and have come to enjoy so new foods that I would never of known about or how to prepare without being a part of the Wegmans family of workers.
Pros
family like atmosphere, everyone is helpful and a pleasure to deal with on a day to day basis.
Low pay, flexible schedule
Customer service/food prep (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYJune 21, 2014
I am a part time employee. It is always hard to get enough hours and management is always looking to cut hours but at the same time will hire more employees. Wegmans does allow you to cross-train in another department to try to get more hours. Wegmans works well with your schedule but often schedules outside your availability. Inconsistent work times, I have known people to work weeks without a day off. Pay depends on how long you are there and not on the quality of your work. There are opportunities to advance but normally you would have to switch stores. Most of the managers and higher ranking people are friends, so if you have a problem with a manager there's not much you can do. Management positions are not based on ability or experience. Also, Wegmans rarely fires employees, this often results in other employees picking up the slack.

We get a small raise every 6 months but unfortunately this raises as the same rate as the new minimum wage.
Pros
break room, utensils and water provided, air conditioning, flexible schedule
Cons
scheduled outside availability, short shifts, inexperienced managers, low pay
A clean work environment with a nice break room and fairly decent people.
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYNovember 3, 2013
When I first started working at Wegman's I already heard it was suppose to be a good place to work and it is, I mean it's not terrible. They care about their employees and the lady that hired me specifically said they do not want to hire people to fire them. As in they will work with you to figure it out if something isn't working with you working there and not just let you go. The store is always very clean and neat, the break room is pretty nice it has a soda machine, TV, microwave, a fridge, and a candy bar machine. As far as management goes it is fairly decent, sometimes I feel like they all don't have their stuff together but it's pretty good other then that. I can take or leave my co-workers. Very selected few can I stand but I do anyway because it's my job, the selected few are alright tho. The hardest part of my job is doing it at night, and doing it fairly fast. The most enjoyable part is knowing I'm making a small difference and working for such a well known company.
Pros
work for a company that is well known and well known for treating their employees well.
Cons
the night shift
Very exciting, very busy, positive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 13, 2015
Wegmans is a great company to work for, the management is very flexible with hours on the front end (cashiering). whenever there is a celebration for Wegmans being the NUMBER ONE at anything, cake is always involved. there are opportunities for growth but you must be hardworking, well-liked and favored, ON TIME, and have ZERO customer complaints. my advice to anyone is that if you want to move up from being as a cashier, be reliable, all things stated above and have a great availability and they DO monitor everything. DO NOT accept money from customers, try to get as many great customer reviews from as many people as possible. the performance of cashiers are monitored and they document EVERYTHING that you do from coming in when they need you to work to saying yes to work in another department for a few hours. do as much as you can to look good at wegmans and you will probably not be denied for moving up.
Pros
free cake and food, $6 meal coupons for great customer reviews, opportunites to grow(move up), scholarships, employee discounts to various places, employee car buying program, and many more!
Cons
favoritism, nit-picking, scrutiny, being under a magnifying glass.
Productivity and Employees Appreciation
Customer service/ Meat department (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VANovember 14, 2014
A typical day at Wegman's, would be to cut meat, setup service case. Put grinder together, grind hamburger, wrap, price and put in package case. If left in charge I would delegate work to others, I train Team Leaders. I have learned how to order for the fresh meat and frozen, on a weekly basis. Have learned Wise, which shows me the sales and how to control shrink, as well as bench marking other stores and item movement.

The management are help full and knowledgeable.
Co- workers, I have built a life time family with my Team.
The hardest part of my job, Doing the load, lifting 89 lb boxes of primal beef one is okay, but five or more, kinda get tired after that.
The enjoyable part of my job, is, meeting new people and solving their problems when it comes to meal suggestions, and the fast pace work environment.
Pros
employee appreciation lunchens
Cons
wish they had eye care with health care program
Wonderful place to work!!
Customer Service/ Other (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJanuary 6, 2014
The biggest problem with Wegmans is there is little room for advancement. The full timers pretty much stay till they die (GREAT COMPANY CANT BLAME THEM) and so full time positions rarely open up. When they do half the store applies to them. Other than that this is a great company particularily for high school kids. I started when I was 15 and left when i was 21. they pay very well for a grocery store chain and offer good benefits even for part timers.

They offer no discount on food though. They have a great prepared food section but offer no discounts to employees, so while your eating your tuna sandwich from home (keep in mind you still bought the ingredients from Wegmans) your watching everyone around you scarf down some delicious 10 dollar concoction. Since part of your paycheck goes back to them for lunches they should at least offer a discount.
Pros
friendly environment, lots of flexibility with time off and scheduling, great place for a college student or high school student.
Cons
no discount on food for lunches, few advancement and full time opportunities
Review for Wegmans : The simple pleasure of authentic food !
Prepared Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDJuly 31, 2012
There is no such thing as a typical day at Wegmans ! Even though the store is always crowded , I find that I am exited and concentrated
on pursuing the goal of satisfying any client beyond any of their
expectations .Serving them right is not enough !
So when I start my shift at the store , I start by preparing my tools :
dishes have to look attractive , display has to be clean and if anything misses , I go and get it . Later is never a good time at Wegmans because of the lack of time ! Management at Wegmans
makes you think it is your responsability to be ready and because
of that responsability you feel you have to step up to the name and
brand Wegmans and so you perform at the best level that you know !I have always enjoyed meeting co-workers at Wegmans because most of them share the same respect and love of good food in a quick and reliable manner .Of course there is the hardest part of the job and that is when you close the place at night and cannot serve everybody !!!
Pros
the wegmans culture is so great, i love it !
Cons
i left and would get on board in a second !
Enjoyable but hectic
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYSeptember 2, 2015
A typical day at service desk is great simply due to the coworkers. Bottle redemption center is the worst part of my job because of the fact people return bottles full of liquids and it then proceeds to leak out of the bags when we go to put them on the back of the truck. I love the atmosphere at my job but I do not get enough hours to be able to afford both my 3 year old son and school expenses. I have school full time so I mainly work nights and during that time I have roughly six things I am responsible for. Between Lottery and moneygram we have a lot of people with different needs. Overall, all of our management is good at helping when it is necessary but I do feel like a lot of the issues that customers have are too often settled by always giving away products or money to make them happy and it gets annoying to be told that our policy is one thing only to have a manager say otherwise.
Pros
Great Coworkers and management
Cons
Not enough hours, Bottle Room

Want to know more about Wegmans?

Ask a question
Understanding and Supportive Workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 22, 2014
Wegmans is known for spoiling their customers, which is exactly why we all love shopping there, right? They also cater very well to employees. As a trusted employee, I am confident any time something comes up in life, with school, or within the workplace that someone is there to listen and help. I know each day upon clocking in that my wellness as an employee is a priority for my managers. After a lengthy college career, I was able to either limit my schedule or leave temporarily to complete my degree when necessary. I am confident that my job will be there for me as long as I need it, which is incredibly important today, what with all the lay-offs and cut backs. They provide insurance for their part and full timers, as well as the opportunity to donate, participate in charity and company projects, and our input is always welcome. I am very proud to be able to say these things about my company, as not many can!
Pros
flexibility and trust within the company.
Cons
inconsistent schedules and hours.
Sub Shop
Customer Service Associate, Sub Shop (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 23, 2014
My typical day at work consisted of opening up the sub job. I would get there at 6a.m where I would first remove the bread racks from the cooler and put them in the proofer so they could expand to the expecation we sold our bread at. I then would eggwash, score, and seed the bread before putting it in the oven. Once the bread was baked I was then responsible for slicing it and cutting the rolls into appropriate small and medium size subs. I would then begin working on orders for customers who called ahead and work with my co-workers to make sure the shop was ready to go at 9am. I was given leadership responsibility for I was the person who trained the new bakers when they were hired. I also had seniority in the department so instead of waiting on the customers throughout the day, I was asked to do tasks such as place product orders, do inventory, make schedules, and lead by example for new employees.
Pros
i was able to obtain the wegmans scholarship award
Cons
i wish the compensation was enough to have lived on
Great Place!
Sub Shop Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYFebruary 17, 2014
Wegmans was by far the best place I have ever worked at. The only reason why I left the company was because we moved to a place where there wasn't a Wegmans. They even offered to transfer me to another store. I may not have gotten the same position, but they would try to find something similar.
The only thing I can say that might turn people away is that it's extremely customer service oriented. If you don't like to give customer service your 110% then this isn't the place for you. I know of a few people who left because they couldn't handle that expectation.
Wegmans really cares for their people. Speaking from experience, I recently went through several family deaths and even though I used up my leave, they actually encouraged me to take the time off that I needed. They are great and if I get a chance to work for them again, I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
family orinented, easy to advance, great atmosphere
Cons
hard to get time off around holidays
There are worse places
customer service (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 24, 2015
Overall, this is not the worst place to work. They have employee events and a generally positive atmosphere. However, some departments are unpleasant to work for if you need any sort of accommodation. They fired me a week before maternity leave was supposed to start. I mean, that was probably just a coincidence, right? I would advise to keep your personal life personal. Don't add coworkers on facebook. Don't talk about anything not directly relevant to the task at hand. Gossip runs rampant. It doesn't have to be true or even plausible. If anyone asks you how you like working there, make sure you only say positive things. They'll find a way to get rid of people who don't fit there happy façade.
Pros
employee events, free meal coupons, mostly positive staff.
Cons
Evaluations are incredibly subjective, which gives them plenty of room to create reasons to fire people they don't like.
Produce Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJune 27, 2013
I have really enjoyed working at Wegmans through out the years. I have learned many things, like taking inventory, ordering product, time management and working with a multitude of people.

At work, a typical day usually consists of me doing a lot of preparation work, like cutting fruit for the next day, etc. As well as filling displays and assisting customers.

I really enjoy working with my manager, she has been extremely helpful throughout my journey at Wegmans.

I have experienced working with many people at Wegmans from different backgrounds and skills. There are those who go above and beyond the call of duty, and those who do not. I have learned to positively encourage those who don't work well on their own.

My hardest part of the job is to know that you can't please everyone and that I won't like every single person I work with, but I try to be nice and courteous to everyone I come into contact with.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to learn something new everyday.
Pros
great family business to work for
Rightfully one of Fortune's Best Companies to Work For
Cashier, Maintenance and Helping Hands (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 30, 2012
Wegmans is a growing grocery store chain based out of Rochester, NY. Most of the 40,000-plus employees are part time and every position is expected to deliver unmatched customer service. Wegmans has a rabid customer base so there is a lot of company pride. Employees are generally proud of the work they do and are happy to be able to do it for a company like Wegmans. A typical day depends on the department but all departments deal face to face with customers throughout the work day in addition to the duties of their position. Employees work in teams and teams typically have one person to report to. Management tends to be caring and attentive to the needs of their team although the work environment can be cliquey at times. It can be hard to deal with so many people on a daily basis, as you can never please 100% of the customers but it is satisfying to offer great service that so many customers enjoy.
Pros
atmosphere, work with food, treats employees well, many little perks
Cons
cliquey, politics, advancement not always straightforward
the wokery
Cook/Cashier/dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYJuly 15, 2013
works pritty fun overall grate ppl good cutsomers vary frendly a little to frendly at some times but good harted....hard workers on my team so we always got what need to be done fineshed i work well with outher i guess you culd say,i learnd alot for example how to cook chines food wich is my faviorit food.learnd to be a team leader when it was needed. learnd to take calls make call prep work and how to be food save and sanitary.always ware gloves.

hardest part was keeping my area clean and well oginized.also memerizing all the food resipies..but the best part was closeing time feeling acomplished and ready to come back tomaro to feed all my hungery costumers....o! and lunch was aslo good.
Pros
discounts on conserts amusment parks and alot outher stuff outside of wegmans
Cons
no free lunch, long hours, only 15min to eat, and lots of work but worth it
I love my job!
Team Lead Receiver (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJApril 10, 2012
I love my job. On a typical day, I look forward to going to work. I enjoy all of my co workers. I have many great relationships there. My day consits of running and reveiwing reports, ordering all supplies and needs for the store, checking in vendors, scanning in orders that arrive, matching invoices to product, paying invoices, answering emails/phone calls, scheduling, payroll, managing others, attending seminars and meetings. I have learned a lot regarding how to deal with the public, vendors, and co workers. The hardest part of my job is dealing with upper management. They seem to not be forth coming. The most enjoybale thing about my current postion, is everything else. I really dont want to give it up. Seeing fellow co workers and myself being mistreated, and knowing that this is not how Wegmans is perceived, because of their high values and public opinions. I feel it is time for me to move on.
Pros
benefits, pay, co workers
Cons
management
vvvv
Cashier and Stock Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VADecember 16, 2014
Sales Associate
Foot Locker - Woodbridge, VA
July 2009 to July 2010
Responsibilities
Responsibilities included cleaning and keeping a neat display area.
Making sure each customer was greeted in a cheerful manner when walking into the store.
Be proactive in helping customers decide which shoes to purchase without being controlling.
Always mention any sales going on to the customer before closing out the purchase.
Keep cash drawer neat and accurate at all times.
Making sure the back stock room is properly stocked and shelved according to shoe and size.

Accomplishments
While at this job I was remained top sales lead for 8months straight. Receiving employee of the month several times.

Skills Used
Attend
Skating and Bowling Center - Fort Belvoir, VA
May 2008 to June 2009
Responsibilities
This required making shoe and skate rentals along with lane assignments, run cash
Family Friendly buisness, wonderful work environment
Service Team Leader Wegmans Food Market. (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, New YorkApril 3, 2012
A typical work day is making sure that we as a team met all of our customers needs. Make sure outselfs as managers were available at any time for the customers and employees needs. I would do some cross merchandising around the store and empower others to learn with me. I would teach seminars in the evening hours. Ex. Incredible customer service. The co-workers made the day go by much easier. The more you got employees invoved in learning new things, the more they wanted to learn and put in that extra effort. The hardiest part of the job was trying to be in ten places at one time. Sometimes customers and employees are very needy. You just have to take on one thing at time and you will please all parties.
Pros
flexable with scheduling, employee free lunch days
Cons
lack of movement up the ladder

4.3