Weigels Stores, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Not a team player environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2016
This company is a joke. You are not aloud any breaks except 5 min to smoke or go to the bathroom every 4 or 5 hours. Ive worked a 16 hour shift with no 30 minute breaks, required by labor board. They expect you to give up everything in your personal life to work an extra shift or someone else's. My particular store went through 12 managers and 10 employees in the 8 months i was employed. They hire on the fly with no consideration for the quality of whom they are hiring. The rules change constantly and you never know if you are going to be written up for something the general manager let you do the day prior. Way too much drama and cliques. If you come in just to do your job and leave not to engage in the high school immaturity you will be picked on and forced out. Good luck getting off. At my particular store my coworker was promoted to shift leader didn't like the position and called out numerous shifts to the point of being fired. They hired this person back demoted her and gave her the perfect shift mon through friday 7am to 2pm. I tried to get her to work a weekend for me once due to my children but her response was she doesnt have to work weekends and refuses. Hmm i guess you reward non loyalty and lacking job performance. This place will drain you of your respect for retail.
They don't want hard working dependable employees
Relief Manger (Current Employee) –  vonoreJanuary 1, 2016
I love the job, but the manager plays games. I have been there almost 2 yrs, never been late, never missed a day and told them when I was hired I had to have 40 plus hours. I work 81 hrs a week for a long time because the turnover is horrible. I was used to structure and appreciation when you do a good job. Thats all I want to say.
Pros
The customers
Cons
the manager
Fun place to work
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 4, 2015
I worked alternating weeks of day and night shift. During the day shift you would check vendors in and enter invoice into the computer, stock shelves, check inventory and call in orders with vendors. During the night shift you would help with anything that did not get complete from day shift, call in milk order, clean all coffee makers, fountain machines, and deli supplies, collect and prepare nightly reports along with the nightly deposits.
Pros
Cons
The pay wasn't very good
very good
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 29, 2015
love working at weigel management and the people is nice..just need to chance job with good benefit good company..i will refer this company to my friend,,
good starter job
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 10, 2015
The company prides itself on how much they give back to the community. Perhaps they need to start giving back to their employees instead, I realize this is a convenience store setting but after being in business for over 30 years, should your employees including management really have to work 40-60 hours a week and still be on government assistance?
Pros
good basic starter job for someone to get ther feet wet
Cons
no breaks, no sitting down, extremely high turnover, insurance for family costs over half your paycheck, low pay for amount of work expected
Welcoming, easy entry level job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 17, 2015
Weigel's taught me a lot about customer service and the importance of teamwork in the workplace. Its important to keep co-workers in a good mood, the shift will move by easily and your co-workers will take notice of your attitude. I have enjoyed Weigel's customers, and the relationships that develop through customer service. Evaluating a customer, and understanding how they would like to be treated is enjoyable to me. The hardest part of my job is the quickness they are in and out of the store. I only waited tables before Weigel's, and there was always more time to get to know someone; whereas, with Weigel's the customer is greeted and you may talk to them for a few minutes. And time management is much different at Weigels because of the available down time as a cashier. At the same time, you have to have a sense of urgency accompanied my a cool head in the busy periods.
Pros
Easy to learn and memorize, good hours
Cons
Only cigarette breaks no lunch, 15 minute breaks/ no regular schedule

Comment – December 28, 2015

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is great that you were able to build relationships with customers. At Weigel's we have been growing careers since 1931 and all of our growth is built on the trust of our customers and the relationships we build with them. We hope you find continues success with the skills you are gaining.

weigels
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  tennesseOctober 14, 2015
Weigels is not a family work place as they stress it is they dont care about the employees safety. I liked the people I worked with and it was a team work type of place but upper management does not care about employees safety in bad weather.
Pros
team work
Good starter position to learn skills from
Cashier / stock / customer service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 1, 2015
Very organized and busy, lots of customers. Management was good, but hard to get promoted, limited amount of room to move up. Co-workers were nice, didn't like the late hours.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Late hours
Alright.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corryton, TNSeptember 21, 2015
The day was very typical, which I did not like at all. The manager was nice, but, she could have an attitude very quick. If she was having a bad day, you would know fast. The only thing I learned was how to operate a cash register.
Pros
Being in the public
Cons
Management, co-workers.
Very busy workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNJune 26, 2015
Very busy and coworkers are helpful. Managers are very busy. Customers are great. Work place is clean with a good environment
Fun place to work with the public, if you like that sort of thing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 25, 2015
Mr. Weigel however, does not treat his employees well.
8 hour work day
I learned how to work with people well
The management was very good
Some of my co-workers were not
The hardest part of the job was dealing with dis-grunted people
but the most enjoyable part was working with people
Cons
no breaks, no lunch
constant work but fun people that u get to meet
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  emory rd and clinton hwySeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work is long and continuous work but getting to meet the people that come in is great. I have learned from this job that sometimes if you work hard it doesn't pay off. I know that sounds harsh but it is true from this company. Management was not good here but I loved my coworkers, they were great.. hardest part of the job was the hours I worked 60 hrs at least every week.. the most enjoyable part was getting to know all the people that came in and talking to them..
Pros
making new aquintances and getting to know them
Cons
no breaks, no rewarding for the hard work you do
Short time working
Sales associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2014
Haven't worked long enough to review. Friendly, positive people.
Fun Job, Love my customers
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 9, 2014
This is a really good job for somebody that wants to get management experience and work their way up. I started out as a cashier and got promoted to a relief manager. I hope to eventually get moved up to an Assistant Manager soon. My customers are great! We have all kinds of people that come in and it is awesome to be able to make their day.
Pros
health, dental and vision even when you are part time.
Cons
stand on your feet all day.
Energetic and a Go getter
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 9, 2013
In any job I am always pleasant and ready to get the day started. I am willing to learn and that i defiantly do.There are days that I have rude customers and i handle them pleasantly. I refuse to allow myself to be misery company. I work with great people in my current job and i enjoy their company through my shift. I think that having a good relationship with people at work makes anyone's day more enjoyable.
Pros
i get free coffee and that i love.
Cons
no real breaks just eat and run.
Very fun and positive work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 21, 2013
A typical work day includes opening the store, setting up the cash registers, making coffee, greeting customers, stocking and cleaning, doing invoices, handling cash, running the registers, making bank drops, making the schedules, closing the store. I learned to make manager decisions and run a store on my own. My coworkers where very dependent and hard workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting all the new customers while i worked there.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
no room for advancement
Good coffee
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 14, 2013
I never had a basic routine that I did there. I loved that part because it was always something different going on. I learned how to operate gas pumps. Management could have been better but not bad. My co-workers weren't my type of people. The hardest part was standing for 8 hours straight. I loved it wasn't a normal routine.
Pros
not a normal routine
Cons
no break
Fast fun and friendly
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NORTH SHORE DR KNOXVILLE TN , 37922August 7, 2013
I love working with people and getting to know them as friends ..
Pros
no lunches
Cons
health care is expencive
was fun to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 22, 2013
I enjoyed working there until i wasnt able to move up in the company and my hours were cut in half from one week to the next.
Pros
i could walk to work, met different people daily.
Cons
no breaks at all, rude co-employees and manager, not enough employees for the customer flow
weigels
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clinton, TNJuly 14, 2013
Love my most of my co workers
I love my regular customers
Typical day can sometimes be stressful