Weigels Stores, Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun and fast pace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 7, 2016
I love my job here at Weigels I love meeting g new people and be seeing new faces. Sometimes working in the public is hard. But you have to keep smiling.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Only one day off
Weigel's is a very good -regimented style business, if, you can handle the responsibility!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2016
Weigel's, for a small company,was a fairly good company to work for.Hard long hours,sometimes bare bones scheduling . Held enough meetings, company wide, on a regular basis to keep employees informed of their marketing ,etc. Pay was better than most like businesses, for our area.We as employees did our best to keep their image in this area as professional as others in and around the area.Always were either top , or second in the local pollings of c-store operations, in various publications.
Typical day was open at 6, have coffee ready for first customers,keep sundries stocked, check in vendors, clean,stock,keep up with paperwork, trade places with second shift at 3, do banking,make sure to have store ready for second shifts day.
Management ,co-workers,job can be summed up alike."You get out of this job what you put into it".You want to make a good living then follow that one dictum.
Pros
Having a large extended family / community
Cons
Having a large diverse extended family.
Lots of Stores To Work For
Assistant manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 7, 2016
You run on your feet all day typically about 6-8 hours straight running register. making coffee, filling up items that get used periodically. management was great, co workers are very kind and helpful, hardest part of the job was late night paperwork(management only), most enjoyable part of the job was the amount of people i met. i have a very outstanding personality and customers as well as employees liked me.
Pros
Advancement, and free Weigels coffee
Cons
Corporate Big Wigs!!!
Good place if you like long hours with NO breaks.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNOctober 2, 2016
I liked my job there but long hours with no breaks isn't right. Yes you have to work. But you're also supposed to have breaks every so often and you don't get one unless you're a smoker. That's not right .
Pros
Good checks.
Cons
No breaks.
Good job, not appreciated.
Manager (Former Employee) –  ManyDecember 5, 2016
This is a good job, but they should lower there standards for people. It can be a career, but is horrible to stay in. Overworked, under appreciated, and under paid.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay, upper management, corporate
Fun, Fast Paced, and People Oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNAugust 30, 2016
Best job! Very fast paced. I liked most of my coworkers and managers. There was never a dull moment. I enjoyed cooking, cleaning, and stocking. I was even able to know most of the regular customers names in no time. I also enjoyed promoting new items and products they would introduce at our store.
Pros
Company dinner for Christmas and Great pay, in my opinion.
Cons
NO Breaks!
Worked too many hours
C Store Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Powell, TNNovember 12, 2016
Working in the c-store was and is a very hard job. Learned how the run a store on very little staff. Co-workers come and go, they were hard to keep. I most enjoyed being able to work at other stores.
Pros
Working hard
Cons
Working 6days a week at 60 plus hours a week
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 7, 2016
its just like any other convent store hard work and little pay
this is a job for those who need something until something else comes along
Cons
short hours
just a number
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 29, 2016
this is a tough place to work not much help from distrect mangers or the head office if you work at an old store you will never get a bounes ever just wont happen
Busy environment with lots to do, no down time
RELIEF MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 24, 2016
Was the opening manager, usually worked by myself or with one other person. It is all customer service and re-stocking of store. I work well with one on one customer interaction and enjoy dealing the money. Was responsible for balancing end of shift and taking deposit to bank. Re-stocking coolers could be difficult at times with an influx of customers and being alone.
Pros
Little supervision, flexible breaks
Cons
Worrying about gas drive-offs
unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 31, 2016
Very unprofessional management. Issues between district manager and store manager became a problem within the store. Eventually became an uncomfortable work environment.
Pros
Meeting interesting customers
Cons
Lack of employee respect from management
Not a team player environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2016
This company is a joke. You are not aloud any breaks except 5 min to smoke or go to the bathroom every 4 or 5 hours. Ive worked a 16 hour shift with no 30 minute breaks, required by labor board. They expect you to give up everything in your personal life to work an extra shift or someone else's. My particular store went through 12 managers and 10 employees in the 8 months i was employed. They hire on the fly with no consideration for the quality of whom they are hiring. The rules change constantly and you never know if you are going to be written up for something the general manager let you do the day prior. Way too much drama and cliques. If you come in just to do your job and leave not to engage in the high school immaturity you will be picked on and forced out. Good luck getting off. At my particular store my coworker was promoted to shift leader didn't like the position and called out numerous shifts to the point of being fired. They hired this person back demoted her and gave her the perfect shift mon through friday 7am to 2pm. I tried to get her to work a weekend for me once due to my children but her response was she doesnt have to work weekends and refuses. Hmm i guess you reward non loyalty and lacking job performance. This place will drain you of your respect for retail.
na
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 25, 2016
Inventory, stock, loss prevention, banking, training, payroll for Weigels store with 5-8 staff members.

Day to Day operations of retail and deli store
Not a good place to work unless you have now where else to go.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 20, 2013
Long hours, minimal breaks, no benefits. Do not appear to be following labor laws. Stores cleanliness not adequately maintained. They prefer to work with minimal staff and have the people on hand do it all. If you like working like a slave for minimal pay, this is the job for you.
Pros
customers
Cons
poor management
good starter job
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 10, 2015
The company prides itself on how much they give back to the community. Perhaps they need to start giving back to their employees instead, I realize this is a convenience store setting but after being in business for over 30 years, should your employees including management really have to work 40-60 hours a week and still be on government assistance?
Pros
good basic starter job for someone to get ther feet wet
Cons
no breaks, no sitting down, extremely high turnover, insurance for family costs over half your paycheck, low pay for amount of work expected
I didnt like wiegels 68
cashier (Former Employee) –  Morristown,tnMay 21, 2013
I didnt like working for wiegels #68, you dont get anybreaks, stand on feet for 9 hours straight, employee cussed and was rude, dont get any benefits for part time, had to go 1 hour away for drug test without being paid for mileage and go to a meeting a hour away without any paid mileage. Ask before you get hired. Helping and serving people was okay.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no breaks, no discount on food, rude polysemous at #68

Comment – December 28, 2015

So sorry to hear that this was your experience we work hard to make sure that our associates understand the expectations up front as far as pre-employment drug testing and background checks. Also, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to all associates that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), profit sharing, life insurance, critical illness, accident insurance and employee assistance programs.

Welcoming, easy entry level job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 17, 2015
Weigel's taught me a lot about customer service and the importance of teamwork in the workplace. Its important to keep co-workers in a good mood, the shift will move by easily and your co-workers will take notice of your attitude. I have enjoyed Weigel's customers, and the relationships that develop through customer service. Evaluating a customer, and understanding how they would like to be treated is enjoyable to me. The hardest part of my job is the quickness they are in and out of the store. I only waited tables before Weigel's, and there was always more time to get to know someone; whereas, with Weigel's the customer is greeted and you may talk to them for a few minutes. And time management is much different at Weigels because of the available down time as a cashier. At the same time, you have to have a sense of urgency accompanied my a cool head in the busy periods.
Pros
Easy to learn and memorize, good hours
Cons
Only cigarette breaks no lunch, 15 minute breaks/ no regular schedule

Comment – December 28, 2015

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is great that you were able to build relationships with customers. At Weigel's we have been growing careers since 1931 and all of our growth is built on the trust of our customers and the relationships we build with them. We hope you find continues success with the skills you are gaining.

Fun place to work
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 4, 2015
I worked alternating weeks of day and night shift. During the day shift you would check vendors in and enter invoice into the computer, stock shelves, check inventory and call in orders with vendors. During the night shift you would help with anything that did not get complete from day shift, call in milk order, clean all coffee makers, fountain machines, and deli supplies, collect and prepare nightly reports along with the nightly deposits.
Pros
Cons
The pay wasn't very good
They don't want hard working dependable employees
Relief Manger (Current Employee) –  vonoreJanuary 1, 2016
I love the job, but the manager plays games. I have been there almost 2 yrs, never been late, never missed a day and told them when I was hired I had to have 40 plus hours. I work 81 hrs a week for a long time because the turnover is horrible. I was used to structure and appreciation when you do a good job. Thats all I want to say.
Pros
The customers
Cons
the manager
constant work but fun people that u get to meet
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  emory rd and clinton hwySeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work is long and continuous work but getting to meet the people that come in is great. I have learned from this job that sometimes if you work hard it doesn't pay off. I know that sounds harsh but it is true from this company. Management was not good here but I loved my coworkers, they were great.. hardest part of the job was the hours I worked 60 hrs at least every week.. the most enjoyable part was getting to know all the people that came in and talking to them..
Pros
making new aquintances and getting to know them
Cons
no breaks, no rewarding for the hard work you do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Weigels Stores, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7