Weigels Stores, Inc.

Weigels Stores, Inc. Employer Reviews

constant work but fun people that u get to meet
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), emory rd and clinton hwySeptember 15, 2014
Pros: making new aquintances and getting to know them
Cons: no breaks, no rewarding for the hard work you do
A typical day at work is long and continuous work but getting to meet the people that come in is great. I have learned from this job that sometimes if you work hard it doesn't pay off. I know that sounds harsh but it is true from this company. Management was not good here but I loved my coworkers, they were great.. hardest part of the job was the hours – more... I worked 60 hrs at least every week.. the most enjoyable part was getting to know all the people that came in and talking to them.. – less
DO NOT Work for this Company!!
Cashier (Former Employee), Lenoir City, TNSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: absolutely nothing!
Cons: absolutely everything!
This is my review of my time working for Weigel's in the state of Tennessee. I will be honest with what I saw, as well as what I witnessed while I was with them.

First of all, they operate their stores illegally. I was working 8-10 hour shifts every day standing on my feet with NO breaks of any kind. State Law in Tennessee dictates that if an employee – more... works six hours or more, he is required to have a 30 minute meal break. I never got any kind of breaks. I worked from the time I clocked in to the time I clocked out. If I even tried to relax for a moment, somebody was giving me something to do. Not to forget that the ONLY people in that store who got any breaks were smokers and they were more than happy to abuse that privilege when the Store Manager wasn't there. So yeah...it stinks that the only way you can get any type of break working for Weigel's is if you smoke cigarettes. That's wrong in my opinion.

Another illegal move on their part was that the law requires that customers be carded if they look under the age of 40 for cigarettes and all the time for alcohol. I can personally say AND guarantee that they were not doing this for all their customers. If it was a long line, they would either not bother to ask for an ID for cigarettes or beer, or they would just glance briefly at it and then punch a fake D.O.B. into the machine. If it was a regular customer, they wouldn't even bother to ask for an ID because, in their words, they didn't want to inconvenience somebody who comes in every day. Inconvenient or not, the law's the law. Period!

Thirdly, the separation notice that Weigel's sends out to their employees after they have left the company are supposed to be sent out and arrive 24 hours after separation from the company. I do believe that is stated at the bottom of every separation notice in the state of Tennessee. I left Weigel's on the 22nd of June, yet I didn't get my separation notice paperwork until the middle of JULY!!! In fact, I believe it was July 11th when I got it. They put down 6/22/2014 on the separation notice paperwork itself in the date field, but the accompanying letter that was with the separation notice had July 11, 2014 written on the upperhand corner of it. PLUS the envelope had a time and date stamp that the post office puts on it when they are sending out mail...sure enough....July 11, 2014. So I guess they have a history and habit of falsifying federal (or state...not sure which one) documents as well, considering that they just wrote down 6/22 on a document that they clearly didn't write up or send out until July 11th to cover their own hides.

Fourthly, I left Weigel's because the Assistant Manager always made me feel VERY uncomfortable working there. She would always stand behind me and look over my shoulder like I was always doing something wrong. She would verbally harass me constantly, put me down in front of customers....I remember one time I was working the register with a female co-worker standing next to me manning the other register. When it was time for the female co-worker to leave, the Assistant Manager (who was also female) asked her if she had any voids to have taken care of. She had about three, I believe, and the Assistant Manager said calmly and politely that she would take care of them in a second. She wiped down the hot dog counter and came to help her. It only took about 3 minutes tops to do before she was helping the female worker. When it was time for ME to go home, she asked me the same question...if I had any voids...which I said yes. I only had one that needed to be done. In return, she threw her hands up in the air and said in a loud voice...loud enough to where everybody in the store could hear "Son of a b**ch!!" She had done similar things like this to me on a constant, daily basis whenever I would go to work. She would make rude comments about the male gender with me around, such as "men are such idiots". Then she would look straight at me and then back at whoever she was talking to..."ALL men!" When I told the Store Manager about her rude and very unprofessional attitude and demeanor towards me, the Store Manager literally stated that the attitude was just who she was. She didn't mean anything bad by it, so just get over it and let it go. Really??? Oh yeah! When I called Human Resources to speak to somebody at the corporate office since obviously the Store Manager wasn't going to do anything about it, I left a message on the Human Resource Manager's phone that handles those kinds of complaints and I never have gotten a single phone call from her to this day to discuss the situation with me. I even told her what was going on in the voicemail. If that's not a clear sign that they don't care about an employee's comfort on the job, I don't know what is.

The last straw was when I went to work the week before I quit. I woke up that morning and I was feeling really sick. I went upstairs and got the thermometer out of my bathroom to check my temperature...102.5...half a point away from 103...which doctors say to seek medical care for if it gets that high! I should have gone to the Hospital. I was planning on doing so when I called into work dragging my jeans on to go into the clinic and I told the Store Manager that I couldn't make it. Keep in mind I had already thrown up three times before I made that call and I had only called in once before about 3 or 4 months ago. I'm not the type of guy that tries to get out of work every day by faking being sick or calling in for stupid reasons. It was my second call-in within the time that I had started working there. I spoke to the Store Manager on the phone and told her that I had thrown up several times, I had a high grade fever, I was going to the Hospital. At this point, she cut me off with this loud, exasperated sigh, and told me "Then you need to take something for it, get over it, and get to work because I need you here today. If you're not here today, then you can just consider yourself fired." Again...a perfect example for how Weigel's treats their employees. I went to work that day, needless to say. The Assistant Manager (the one who I mentioned had issues with me) even told me when she came into work that night to "stop faking it". Luckily I brought my thermometer with me and took my temperature right there in front of her. It was holding steady around 102.6 or 102.7. Something like that. I guess the moving around and hard work kept the fever level through the sweat that my body was pushing out. But yeah...she saw it and she didn't even bother to apologize or act like she was sorry. She just walked away with this whole "whatever" attitude.

In the end, $7.50 an hour wasn't worth the abuse and illegal practices that this company demands out of all it's employees. They call the place a family company, but I am one that has worked there and can personally say that they are full of it! DON'T work for Weigel's. You will be mistreated and underpaid while being treated as such. – less
Short time working
Sales associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2014
Haven't worked long enough to review. Friendly, positive people.
Fun Job, Love my customers
Relief Manager (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: health, dental and vision even when you are part time.
Cons: stand on your feet all day.
This is a really good job for somebody that wants to get management experience and work their way up. I started out as a cashier and got promoted to a relief manager. I hope to eventually get moved up to an Assistant Manager soon. My customers are great! We have all kinds of people that come in and it is awesome to be able to make their day.
Very fun and positive work place.
Cashier (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 21, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: no room for advancement
A typical work day includes opening the store, setting up the cash registers, making coffee, greeting customers, stocking and cleaning, doing invoices, handling cash, running the registers, making bank drops, making the schedules, closing the store. I learned to make manager decisions and run a store on my own. My coworkers where very dependent and – more... hard workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting all the new customers while i worked there. – less
GOOD COFFEE
Cashier (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 14, 2013
Pros: not a normal routine
Cons: no break
I never had a basic routine that I did there. I loved that part because it was always something different going on. I learned how to operate gas pumps. Management could have been better but not bad. My co-workers weren't my type of people. The hardest part was standing for 8 hours straight. I loved it wasn't a normal routine.
fun place with great staff
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee), Jefferson City, TNSeptember 10, 2013
I love my job i love working with people, i just don't like not having steady hours
FAST FUN AND FRIENDLY
Store Manager (Former Employee), NORTH SHORE DR KNOXVILLE TN , 37922August 7, 2013
Pros: no lunches
Cons: health care is expencive
I LOVE WORKING WITH PEOPLE AND GETTING TO KNOW THEM AS FRIENDS ..
was fun to work for
Cashier (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 22, 2013
Pros: i could walk to work, met different people daily.
Cons: no breaks at all, rude co-employees and manager, not enough employees for the customer flow
I enjoyed working there until i wasnt able to move up in the company and my hours were cut in half from one week to the next.
weigels
Clerk (Current Employee), Clinton, TNJuly 14, 2013
Love my most of my co workers
I love my regular customers
Typical day can sometimes be stressful
I didnt like wiegels 68
cashier (Former Employee), Morristown,tnMay 21, 2013
Pros: free drinks
Cons: no breaks, no discount on food, rude polysemous at #68
I didnt like working for wiegels #68, you dont get anybreaks, stand on feet for 9 hours straight, employee cussed and was rude, dont get any benefits for part time, had to go 1 hour away for drug test without being paid for mileage and go to a meeting a hour away without any paid mileage. Ask before you get hired. Helping and serving people was okay.
GREAT!
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 22, 2013
Great manager, hours were a little short than expected, opportunity advancements, overtime offered, steady leadership
Great Management
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 13, 2013
The management at the Weigel's I worked at was always willing to work with their employees, especially for those that were attending school but still trying to work full time.
Not a good place to work unless you have now where else to go.
Cashier (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMarch 20, 2013
Pros: customers
Cons: poor management
Long hours, minimal breaks, no benefits. Do not appear to be following labor laws. Stores cleanliness not adequately maintained. They prefer to work with minimal staff and have the people on hand do it all. If you like working like a slave for minimal pay, this is the job for you.
Want to work with the public? Here is your place:
Store Manager (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: wonderful customers and commission
Cons: six day work week
A typical day for a manager is a 10 hour shift either opening or closing the store. Handling any issues that may come up, taking care of the customers, stocking, cleaning, doing paperwork, and ensuring your employees are staying on ask. Although you get to work with some amazing people and get to meet all kinds of people. The customers are definately – more... what makes the job. The hardest part of the job is the demanding hours. A min. of 58 hours a week with 1 day off and each week the shifts rotate. – less
Great Family Company!
Cashier (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 6, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, free icee's, career path
Cons: hours for management (they work really hard)
Weigels has always treated me good. I enjoy working with all my customer and co-workers. They have an outstanding training program and a career path if you want to move into management.
Great family company!
Cashier (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 5, 2012
Pros: free drinks, flexible hours and career opportunities.
Cons: management works alot of hours.
Weigels can be a really fun place to work I really felt like I was part of the family. I enjoy working with everyone at my location and the fact that I was part of a local company that supports our the areas we live in is great. The customers are always nice and I couldn't think of any other job where you can come in and make peoples day every day.

Management – more... works really hard and I always looked forward to the annual service award banquets. – less
Not a job I would go back to unless there was no choice!
Relief Manager (Former Employee), Sevierville, TNOctober 10, 2012
Pros: nice staff, free drinks with your own cup.
Cons: dingy stores, very low pay, left alone in the small stores
Weigel's is a company that has a very small base area with a lot of stores in it. I thought the people were nice overall but I didn't like the environment of most of their stores. Some were dirty and not very inviting. The pay was not good at all for the work put in.
Weigels
Stock Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMarch 19, 2012
Pros: close to home
Cons: unequal treatment of employees.
I saw a big turn over in employees, but the job was good as part time.

About Weigels Stores, Inc.

Apply online for a career opportunity at www.weigels.com. At Weigel's our success is our people; from the beginning our business – Read more

Weigels Stores, Inc. Photos