Weigels Stores, Inc.

Weigels Stores, Inc. Employee Reviews

just a number
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 29, 2016
this is a tough place to work not much help from distrect mangers or the head office if you work at an old store you will never get a bounes ever just wont happen
Worked too many hours
C Store Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Powell, TNNovember 12, 2016
Working in the c-store was and is a very hard job. Learned how the run a store on very little staff. Co-workers come and go, they were hard to keep. I most enjoyed being able to work at other stores.
Pros
Working hard
Cons
Working 6days a week at 60 plus hours a week
Weigel's is a very good -regimented style business, if, you can handle the responsibility!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2016
Weigel's, for a small company,was a fairly good company to work for.Hard long hours,sometimes bare bones scheduling . Held enough meetings, company wide, on a regular basis to keep employees informed of their marketing ,etc. Pay was better than most like businesses, for our area.We as employees did our best to keep their image in this area as professional as others in and around the area.Always were either top , or second in the local pollings of c-store operations, in various publications.
Typical day was open at 6, have coffee ready for first customers,keep sundries stocked, check in vendors, clean,stock,keep up with paperwork, trade places with second shift at 3, do banking,make sure to have store ready for second shifts day.
Management ,co-workers,job can be summed up alike."You get out of this job what you put into it".You want to make a good living then follow that one dictum.
Pros
Having a large extended family / community
Cons
Having a large diverse extended family.
Good place if you like long hours with NO breaks.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNOctober 2, 2016
I liked my job there but long hours with no breaks isn't right. Yes you have to work. But you're also supposed to have breaks every so often and you don't get one unless you're a smoker. That's not right .
Pros
Good checks.
Cons
No breaks.
Fun and fast pace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 7, 2016
I love my job here at Weigels I love meeting g new people and be seeing new faces. Sometimes working in the public is hard. But you have to keep smiling.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Only one day off
Fun, Fast Paced, and People Oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNAugust 30, 2016
Best job! Very fast paced. I liked most of my coworkers and managers. There was never a dull moment. I enjoyed cooking, cleaning, and stocking. I was even able to know most of the regular customers names in no time. I also enjoyed promoting new items and products they would introduce at our store.
Pros
Company dinner for Christmas and Great pay, in my opinion.
Cons
NO Breaks!
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 7, 2016
its just like any other convent store hard work and little pay
this is a job for those who need something until something else comes along
Cons
short hours
unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 31, 2016
Very unprofessional management. Issues between district manager and store manager became a problem within the store. Eventually became an uncomfortable work environment.
Pros
Meeting interesting customers
Cons
Lack of employee respect from management
na
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 25, 2016
Inventory, stock, loss prevention, banking, training, payroll for Weigels store with 5-8 staff members.

Day to Day operations of retail and deli store
Busy environment with lots to do, no down time
RELIEF MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 24, 2016
Was the opening manager, usually worked by myself or with one other person. It is all customer service and re-stocking of store. I work well with one on one customer interaction and enjoy dealing the money. Was responsible for balancing end of shift and taking deposit to bank. Re-stocking coolers could be difficult at times with an influx of customers and being alone.
Pros
Little supervision, flexible breaks
Cons
Worrying about gas drive-offs
Not a team player environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2016
This company is a joke. You are not aloud any breaks except 5 min to smoke or go to the bathroom every 4 or 5 hours. Ive worked a 16 hour shift with no 30 minute breaks, required by labor board. They expect you to give up everything in your personal life to work an extra shift or someone else's. My particular store went through 12 managers and 10 employees in the 8 months i was employed. They hire on the fly with no consideration for the quality of whom they are hiring. The rules change constantly and you never know if you are going to be written up for something the general manager let you do the day prior. Way too much drama and cliques. If you come in just to do your job and leave not to engage in the high school immaturity you will be picked on and forced out. Good luck getting off. At my particular store my coworker was promoted to shift leader didn't like the position and called out numerous shifts to the point of being fired. They hired this person back demoted her and gave her the perfect shift mon through friday 7am to 2pm. I tried to get her to work a weekend for me once due to my children but her response was she doesnt have to work weekends and refuses. Hmm i guess you reward non loyalty and lacking job performance. This place will drain you of your respect for retail.
They don't want hard working dependable employees
Relief Manger (Current Employee) –  vonoreJanuary 1, 2016
I love the job, but the manager plays games. I have been there almost 2 yrs, never been late, never missed a day and told them when I was hired I had to have 40 plus hours. I work 81 hrs a week for a long time because the turnover is horrible. I was used to structure and appreciation when you do a good job. Thats all I want to say.
Pros
The customers
Cons
the manager
Fun place to work
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 4, 2015
I worked alternating weeks of day and night shift. During the day shift you would check vendors in and enter invoice into the computer, stock shelves, check inventory and call in orders with vendors. During the night shift you would help with anything that did not get complete from day shift, call in milk order, clean all coffee makers, fountain machines, and deli supplies, collect and prepare nightly reports along with the nightly deposits.
Pros
Cons
The pay wasn't very good
very good
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 29, 2015
love working at weigel management and the people is nice..just need to chance job with good benefit good company..i will refer this company to my friend,,
good starter job
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 10, 2015
The company prides itself on how much they give back to the community. Perhaps they need to start giving back to their employees instead, I realize this is a convenience store setting but after being in business for over 30 years, should your employees including management really have to work 40-60 hours a week and still be on government assistance?
Pros
good basic starter job for someone to get ther feet wet
Cons
no breaks, no sitting down, extremely high turnover, insurance for family costs over half your paycheck, low pay for amount of work expected
Welcoming, easy entry level job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 17, 2015
Weigel's taught me a lot about customer service and the importance of teamwork in the workplace. Its important to keep co-workers in a good mood, the shift will move by easily and your co-workers will take notice of your attitude. I have enjoyed Weigel's customers, and the relationships that develop through customer service. Evaluating a customer, and understanding how they would like to be treated is enjoyable to me. The hardest part of my job is the quickness they are in and out of the store. I only waited tables before Weigel's, and there was always more time to get to know someone; whereas, with Weigel's the customer is greeted and you may talk to them for a few minutes. And time management is much different at Weigels because of the available down time as a cashier. At the same time, you have to have a sense of urgency accompanied my a cool head in the busy periods.
Pros
Easy to learn and memorize, good hours
Cons
Only cigarette breaks no lunch, 15 minute breaks/ no regular schedule

Comment – December 28, 2015

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is great that you were able to build relationships with customers. At Weigel's we have been growing careers since 1931 and all of our growth is built on the trust of our customers and the relationships we build with them. We hope you find continues success with the skills you are gaining.

weigels
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  tennesseOctober 14, 2015
Weigels is not a family work place as they stress it is they dont care about the employees safety. I liked the people I worked with and it was a team work type of place but upper management does not care about employees safety in bad weather.
Pros
team work
Good starter position to learn skills from
Cashier / stock / customer service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 1, 2015
Very organized and busy, lots of customers. Management was good, but hard to get promoted, limited amount of room to move up. Co-workers were nice, didn't like the late hours.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Late hours
Alright.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corryton, TNSeptember 21, 2015
The day was very typical, which I did not like at all. The manager was nice, but, she could have an attitude very quick. If she was having a bad day, you would know fast. The only thing I learned was how to operate a cash register.
Pros
Being in the public
Cons
Management, co-workers.
Very busy workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNJune 26, 2015
Very busy and coworkers are helpful. Managers are very busy. Customers are great. Work place is clean with a good environment

2.7