Weigels Stores, Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun, Fast Paced, and People Oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNAugust 30, 2016
Best job! Very fast paced. I liked most of my coworkers and managers. There was never a dull moment. I enjoyed cooking, cleaning, and stocking. I was even able to know most of the regular customers names in no time. I also enjoyed promoting new items and products they would introduce at our store.
Pros
Company dinner for Christmas and Great pay, in my opinion.
Cons
NO Breaks!
Busy environment with lots to do, no down time
RELIEF MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 24, 2016
Was the opening manager, usually worked by myself or with one other person. It is all customer service and re-stocking of store. I work well with one on one customer interaction and enjoy dealing the money. Was responsible for balancing end of shift and taking deposit to bank. Re-stocking coolers could be difficult at times with an influx of customers and being alone.
Pros
Little supervision, flexible breaks
Cons
Worrying about gas drive-offs
Not a team player environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2016
This company is a joke. You are not aloud any breaks except 5 min to smoke or go to the bathroom every 4 or 5 hours. Ive worked a 16 hour shift with no 30 minute breaks, required by labor board. They expect you to give up everything in your personal life to work an extra shift or someone else's. My particular store went through 12 managers and 10 employees in the 8 months i was employed. They hire on the fly with no consideration for the quality of whom they are hiring. The rules change constantly and you never know if you are going to be written up for something the general manager let you do the day prior. Way too much drama and cliques. If you come in just to do your job and leave not to engage in the high school immaturity you will be picked on and forced out. Good luck getting off. At my particular store my coworker was promoted to shift leader didn't like the position and called out numerous shifts to the point of being fired. They hired this person back demoted her and gave her the perfect shift mon through friday 7am to 2pm. I tried to get her to work a weekend for me once due to my children but her response was she doesnt have to work weekends and refuses. Hmm i guess you reward non loyalty and lacking job performance. This place will drain you of your respect for retail.
Fun and fast pace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 7, 2016
I love my job here at Weigels I love meeting g new people and be seeing new faces. Sometimes working in the public is hard. But you have to keep smiling.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Only one day off
unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 31, 2016
Very unprofessional management. Issues between district manager and store manager became a problem within the store. Eventually became an uncomfortable work environment.
Pros
Meeting interesting customers
Cons
Lack of employee respect from management
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 7, 2016
its just like any other convent store hard work and little pay
this is a job for those who need something until something else comes along
Cons
short hours
good starter job
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 10, 2015
The company prides itself on how much they give back to the community. Perhaps they need to start giving back to their employees instead, I realize this is a convenience store setting but after being in business for over 30 years, should your employees including management really have to work 40-60 hours a week and still be on government assistance?
Pros
good basic starter job for someone to get ther feet wet
Cons
no breaks, no sitting down, extremely high turnover, insurance for family costs over half your paycheck, low pay for amount of work expected
na
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 25, 2016
Inventory, stock, loss prevention, banking, training, payroll for Weigels store with 5-8 staff members.

Day to Day operations of retail and deli store
Welcoming, easy entry level job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 17, 2015
Weigel's taught me a lot about customer service and the importance of teamwork in the workplace. Its important to keep co-workers in a good mood, the shift will move by easily and your co-workers will take notice of your attitude. I have enjoyed Weigel's customers, and the relationships that develop through customer service. Evaluating a customer, and understanding how they would like to be treated is enjoyable to me. The hardest part of my job is the quickness they are in and out of the store. I only waited tables before Weigel's, and there was always more time to get to know someone; whereas, with Weigel's the customer is greeted and you may talk to them for a few minutes. And time management is much different at Weigels because of the available down time as a cashier. At the same time, you have to have a sense of urgency accompanied my a cool head in the busy periods.
Pros
Easy to learn and memorize, good hours
Cons
Only cigarette breaks no lunch, 15 minute breaks/ no regular schedule

Comment – December 28, 2015

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is great that you were able to build relationships with customers. At Weigel's we have been growing careers since 1931 and all of our growth is built on the trust of our customers and the relationships we build with them. We hope you find continues success with the skills you are gaining.

Fun place to work
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 4, 2015
I worked alternating weeks of day and night shift. During the day shift you would check vendors in and enter invoice into the computer, stock shelves, check inventory and call in orders with vendors. During the night shift you would help with anything that did not get complete from day shift, call in milk order, clean all coffee makers, fountain machines, and deli supplies, collect and prepare nightly reports along with the nightly deposits.
Pros
Cons
The pay wasn't very good
Not a good place to work unless you have now where else to go.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 20, 2013
Long hours, minimal breaks, no benefits. Do not appear to be following labor laws. Stores cleanliness not adequately maintained. They prefer to work with minimal staff and have the people on hand do it all. If you like working like a slave for minimal pay, this is the job for you.
Pros
customers
Cons
poor management
They don't want hard working dependable employees
Relief Manger (Current Employee) –  vonoreJanuary 1, 2016
I love the job, but the manager plays games. I have been there almost 2 yrs, never been late, never missed a day and told them when I was hired I had to have 40 plus hours. I work 81 hrs a week for a long time because the turnover is horrible. I was used to structure and appreciation when you do a good job. Thats all I want to say.
Pros
The customers
Cons
the manager
I didnt like wiegels 68
cashier (Former Employee) –  Morristown,tnMay 21, 2013
I didnt like working for wiegels #68, you dont get anybreaks, stand on feet for 9 hours straight, employee cussed and was rude, dont get any benefits for part time, had to go 1 hour away for drug test without being paid for mileage and go to a meeting a hour away without any paid mileage. Ask before you get hired. Helping and serving people was okay.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no breaks, no discount on food, rude polysemous at #68

Comment – December 28, 2015

So sorry to hear that this was your experience we work hard to make sure that our associates understand the expectations up front as far as pre-employment drug testing and background checks. Also, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to all associates that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), profit sharing, life insurance, critical illness, accident insurance and employee assistance programs.

very good
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 29, 2015
love working at weigel management and the people is nice..just need to chance job with good benefit good company..i will refer this company to my friend,,
Good starter position to learn skills from
Cashier / stock / customer service (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNOctober 1, 2015
Very organized and busy, lots of customers. Management was good, but hard to get promoted, limited amount of room to move up. Co-workers were nice, didn't like the late hours.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Late hours
weigels
Relief manager (Former Employee) –  tennesseOctober 14, 2015
Weigels is not a family work place as they stress it is they dont care about the employees safety. I liked the people I worked with and it was a team work type of place but upper management does not care about employees safety in bad weather.
Pros
team work
Alright.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corryton, TNSeptember 21, 2015
The day was very typical, which I did not like at all. The manager was nice, but, she could have an attitude very quick. If she was having a bad day, you would know fast. The only thing I learned was how to operate a cash register.
Pros
Being in the public
Cons
Management, co-workers.
constant work but fun people that u get to meet
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  emory rd and clinton hwySeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work is long and continuous work but getting to meet the people that come in is great. I have learned from this job that sometimes if you work hard it doesn't pay off. I know that sounds harsh but it is true from this company. Management was not good here but I loved my coworkers, they were great.. hardest part of the job was the hours I worked 60 hrs at least every week.. the most enjoyable part was getting to know all the people that came in and talking to them..
Pros
making new aquintances and getting to know them
Cons
no breaks, no rewarding for the hard work you do
Great family company!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 5, 2012
Weigels can be a really fun place to work I really felt like I was part of the family. I enjoy working with everyone at my location and the fact that I was part of a local company that supports our the areas we live in is great. The customers are always nice and I couldn't think of any other job where you can come in and make peoples day every day.

Management works really hard and I always looked forward to the annual service award banquets.
Pros
free drinks, flexible hours and career opportunities.
Cons
management works alot of hours.
Fun place to work with the public, if you like that sort of thing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 25, 2015
Mr. Weigel however, does not treat his employees well.
8 hour work day
I learned how to work with people well
The management was very good
Some of my co-workers were not
The hardest part of the job was dealing with dis-grunted people
but the most enjoyable part was working with people
Cons
no breaks, no lunch

2.6