Weir Minerals Employee Reviews in United States

They purchase companies and shut them down.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIJune 3, 2016
They just laid off 12 people.
They took a 30 million dollar a year company and ran it into the ground in less than a year!
They really need to take the time to understand The products and customers that they acquire.
Pros
Good shop floor managers
Cons
Horrible upper management.
Good small company with very loyal employees
CONSULTANT - VICE PRESIDENT SALES & MARKETING (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 12, 2016
Company made Rubber products for a variety of industry. The diversity of customers and market segments was great. Company was overseen from a distance and very little actual involvement from the executive team. The autonomy was great the lack of involvement and understanding was challenging.
Pros
Autonomy and loyalty
Cons
Uninvolved executive involved
Good company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 26, 2015
Management new to managing people. Overtime is available, other employees work together. Revolving door due to managements like of you or not.
Pros
Work Available
Cons
General Manager
Lots of production
Production Operator II / Utility (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake CityOctober 13, 2015
This is a very fast paced company a lot is going on and if you have the drive you can go a long way with them. Lots of experience to gain. Friendly coworkers and decent benefits
Pros
Decent work environment
Cons
Being Overworked
Great people and a great product
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAAugust 10, 2015
Weir Minerals was the first corporation based career of my experience and I am lucky that it was. It taught me a lot on how a manufacturing business handles accounting and helped me grow as a team member. It had a wonderful group of people that acted like a big family. The management always wanted you to learn more and become more responsible.
Much experience gained
Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Luck, WIJuly 8, 2015
I have worked for the same company since graduating from college, however the name has changed due to an acquisition. I have gained experience with many areas of the company while at Weir.
When I began, I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer, and slowly transitioned into other areas such as Project Management, Applications Engineering, and Service Engineering. This gave me the opportunity to learn how a business works from more than just an office perspective.
I learned to work with all areas of the company and beyond; from our suppliers all the way to our customers. The management has changed the most, as you would expect with any acquisition, and we have also lost good people as a result. However, the company continually pushes forward and innovates.
The most challenging part of my current job, is that it requires 75-90% travelling, and at times makes it difficult to leave my family. However, travelling has given me the opportunity to see different parts of the world as well, which has been a positive for me.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, solid company.
Cons
Acquisitions have made for somewhat tumultuous atmosphere.
fast paced
Buff and Trim (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTMay 19, 2015
buff and trim, run press machines, read blue prints, assemble and unassembled molds, learned lead skills. fast pace environment
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not flexible
Productive fast paced work environment
Quality Assurance Technician and machinist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 13, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of quality assurance while inspecting pumps, and machined parts from machinists. I learned how to run a dual head vertical mill lathe and quality assurance procedures for ISO standards. The management was excellent and professional. The co-workers were generally in a good mood and performed well. The hardest part of this job was walking on concrete nearing 8 to 10 miles a day. The most enjoyable part of this job was having the freedom to improve processes and solve engineering issues.
Pros
benefits, clean evironment, good people, busy workplace
Cons
i have no cons for this company.
Stalinisque Management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison WIDecember 3, 2013
Poor communications and management seems to only function as a dictatorship. HR are paper pushers and have no influence on the culture.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High management turnover and weak senior leadership

Comment – December 31, 1969

Management turnover is an issue and a very political environment so watch your hindquarters.

Hand-lay worker (Former Employee) –  HandlayNovember 14, 2013
I would work the graveyard shift. I learned how to handlay rubber on mining equipment. the hardest part of the job was the first couple days getting used to everything. The most enjoyable were the paychecks and my co workers were great.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
not flexabile
Great people to work for
Production Control Scheduler (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 29, 2013
Very good place to work. Very safety oriented. Fantastic benefit package
Productive and fun work place.
Machinists B (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 22, 2013
I had many challenges working at weir. My co-workers was excellent and very understanding and helpfull.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
training
Well ran, good place to work
North America Controller (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 21, 2012
Excellent company with strong values. Good place to work. Strong management team and good co-workers, working toward a common goal.
Pressure cooker that does not compensate for extra time spent.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 26, 2012
This workplace, for some departments, is a pressure cooker that has EVERYONE in the group stressed out to the point that they are looking for another job. They do not compensate salary people anything extra for working 60-70 hours a week for months on end. The base salary is not enough to justify the work-life imbalance that results.
Pros
co workers, friendliness
Cons
closed-mindedness, recurring company mistakes