Weir Oil & Gas Employee Reviews

Very Productive
Material Handler III (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2016
It is a very good company to work for and very fast pace at times. Co-workers become really good friends. Always watch and hear about the oil market.
Challenging and rewarding workplace
Lean Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 10, 2016
I have worked there since 2010 and a typical day would have me following up on previous Kaizen events and ensuring that the metrics we have put in place are trending in the right direction. I would also begin assessing other areas that were identified as issues by Value Stream Map(VSM) or by departmental leaders. We would then begin scheduling appropriate lean events that will eliminate or reduce the issue. I was hired straight out of college and I was very "green" going in, but I was exposed to many different environments and challenges that I had to work through. I took on several roles to gain knowledge of manufacturing by becoming an Industrial Engineer, Production Supervisor, and Lean Facilitator. I was able to learn different processes and to think "outside the box" to provide potential solutions to the problems at hand. I was also able to hone my leadership skills through supervision and by leading and facilitating Kaizen events. Management was a revolving door that we would had to adjust to every couple of years. My co-workers were great and was one of the reasons why I wanted to ensure that any project I was working on was going to be safe and improved ergonomics. The hardest part of the job was sustainment of improvements. Lean is more about behaviors and the culture than about the physical aspects. Management must follow up on Kaizen improvements to ensure that they are sustained. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work on projects that would be safe for my co-workers, improve quality and delivery lead times for our customers, and reduce the cost  more... for the company to stay competitive in an ever changing market.  less
Pros
Culture of Safety, benefits, and career potential
Cons
Cyclical oil & gas market(workforce redutions), Senior management politics
Very organized
Supervisor- Joseph Wells (Former Employee) –  Broussard, LADecember 12, 2015
Walk in with safety meeting and then work.
Learned about internals of swivel joint piping and plug valves.
Learned how to organize work getting it done in a timely manner to assist others if needed.
Oilfield job
Iron Technician (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 1, 2015
Very good benifits, loved this job because of the good pay and work environmet,

heavywork loads where the hardest part of the day

loved working with other employees
Horrible
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Jane Lew, WVNovember 16, 2015
Horrible,
Managment did not care for employee safety. Long hours, did not know when we was going to go home.
Did not have proper safety equipment.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Did not know when we was going to go home
Service Tech 2 (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXNovember 9, 2015
Good place to work. Good job opportunities. Good working hours. Good people. Good pay. Lots of work locations. Best company I've worked for so far.
A typical day at work
Production Scheduler/Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2015
A typical day of work at Weir Seaboard was honestly controlled chaos. I do believe management is working towards an efficient system of production, shipping, and ordering procurement however my experience was pretty rough. There was a lot of un-organization, inconsistent practices, and differing management opinions. Some things changes on a weekly basis as far as how to complete a job and it was frustrating. At the time I left, management was putting new ideas into place for increased efficiency and policy, so may be it has improved.
Pros
pay was competitive
Cons
long hours and expected to stay or come in with no notice
Poorly managed company on rebound
Sr. Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2015
Highly mismanaged company in the past on track to redevelop broken customer relationships from poor product quality and delivery issues. Recently replaced inactive sales people with new and inspired personnel, however new Divisional President expected positive sales results far too quickly and did not allow efforts to flourish, then used economic downturn as an excuse to release employees.
Cons
New management expected results from new (Sales) employees far too quickly.
FSR Tech. (Former Employee) –  Muncy, PASeptember 1, 2015
Clock in and get into proper PPE and do stretches, go to floor or go out in the field. perform expected duties ( inspect iron for damage, repair send to pressure, then to paint, if out in the field load required tools and drive to the Gas Well needing the work preformed install restraints onto iron). The Gas industry workings, how to in the industry. Management was the worst part of the job Co-workers were good bunch of guys the long hours day after day was the hardest part of the job, most enjoyable part was the pay and the respect from other people
Pros
Freedom of being on the road and the pay
Cons
To long of hours, never home sometimes working 180 hrs
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2015
I worked in Building H in Fort Worth, Texas in 2014-2015. I was the Production Supervisor for the Flow/Swivels department. The department as a whole was well thought out and the management team was good. The oil and gas industry is fickle at best and layoffs consumed my entire department.

I was hired on as the 3rd Shift Production supervisor, however management took advantage of my abilities and I was also made responsible for the 2nd shift as well. There were no extra compensation or benefits for the additional responsibility. I kept getting the "promise" that the management team was in the interview/hiring process for an actual 2nd shift supervisor, however I felt that I was basically strung along until the layoffs happened. Unfortunate set of circumstances, but the culture was great and I would take the same job again if offered.
Pros
Computer systems.
Cons
Accountability measures.

Want to know more about Weir Oil & Gas?

Ask a question
questionable....
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasJune 26, 2015
I worked for weir for 2 yrs. I was laid off for over a year. They started production up again and I applied again. I was told at lay off that when things picked up I could return because they laid off hundreds of people. I applied and was called for an interview... when I called and actually had the phone interview the person in HR told me that she had to make sure I was re-hireable!!!! What!!!! You called me and didn't know that I was an former employee????? Finally the deal breaker was I knew I was eligible for rehire because I was laid off!!! On good terms!!!! She told me after days of chasing my tail, and hers too.... I was not eligible!!! I was so angry at what use to be an OK place to work... my co- workers and I got alone really well together. In my opinion.... they just didn't want to have to pay me the money I was making before I left!!!! They were probably bringing in people with less experience, and less pay!!! I was a welder by the way... and a darn good one at that!!! In my opinion, the company sucks!!! How could you do that to an employee that was always there on time, even when the weather was bad... I came in without a blink!!!! I would not recommend this company to anyone that's looking for long term, and being treated with dignity....
Pros
Insurance benefits and the pay...
Cons
don't care about its hard working employees!!!!
Oilfield
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, TXJune 22, 2015
Working at weir was a great experience. I learned a lot and I loved it because I got to come home every night to my family. the downside was this job was too far from where I lived.
Pros
Got to come home every night and worked with a great group of people
Cons
It was too far from my house and they cut hours
No clear business Logic from upper management
engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth Divisional HqJune 19, 2015
Once upon a time in past WeirSPM was a good place to work, good benefits , poor pay scale, and good people to work with. As a former employee with close to ten (10) years with the company things have changed for the worst. I seen a company that made a billion dollars in profit loose its true direction. Engineering should be the heart and soul of the company instead its become a whipping post. Sales and Human recourses have taken the company to the brink of disaster.
engineering manager up to the EVP level are at best illogical.
Seniority is nonexistent , inexperience and incompetence are the norm now. those that try to do right by the company are overlook for advancement , those that have cost the Company millions of dollars by promising customers anything and everything get the promotions and pay raises along with engineer's who fail to get the projects completed on time are still working and those who actually get projects completed and in to production along with in the field working , making money are let go in layoffs. HR I would compare to dictatorship and HR is worse.
Benefits
Cons
to many to cover all of them
Serious Problems
Jack of all Trades (Former Employee) –  RegionalMay 20, 2015
Worked for this company for over 3 years. If you are prepared to break the laws, go against safety regulations and policies, leave yourself out on a limb with no one to back you up, then this is the company for you. If you want to promote and constantly have to look over your shoulder for who is going to be there next to put a knife in your back, again this is the company for you.
On the other hand, if you want to move up quickly, this is the company for you, due to high turnover rates.
The upper management team in Ft.Worth Tx., will not allow the field management teams to perform their jobs, HR has far too much control over everyone and does not work as a normal HR Dept., but rather as a lynch mob.
Upper management will tell you something is ok to do, then when you do what is told to you as being ok, they deny having ever given you that authority.
Pros
Descent Pay
Cons
Too much control to the HR Dept.
Flexible schedule
service administrator (Former Employee) –  shreveport, laMay 11, 2015
Overall, weir was a good place to work. Most of the people are friendly & cooperative, & the management was usually understanding & flexile with personal scheduling as needed.
Pros
good benefits, flexibilty
Cons
oil & gas fluctuation
Large company, good benefits, poor job security.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  White Settlement, TXApril 30, 2015
Seniority has little or no bearing on shift assignment; newer hired employees may go to day-shift ahead of established employees. Benefits start on first day of employment, but may be slightly more costly than with other employers. Good people in workforce, chain of command not always clear, management not highly responsive. Little or no training program, or at least inconsistent. Pay raises are at best infrequent, although quarterly bonuses are awarded during profitable periods.
Weir
Assembler 1 (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 8, 2015
Great place to work. There are several benefits they have for employees. Competitive benefits package. The chance to advanced in your career and grow their.
Benefits
Cons
Its in the oil & gas industry
Fast paced. Every day different
Wellhead Service Tech (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARApril 3, 2015
Excellent pay/benefits when times were good but you were on call 24/7. Hard on a family. Incredible co-workers. Inconsistent local management and constant turnover in upper management kept things in turmoil.
Pros
Money
Cons
hours
Tier 1 Growing pains
Operations Manager/ Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Corpus ChristiMarch 3, 2015
This isn't your ideal company to work for, if you have knowledge, and aren't willing to accept wrong information. The hardest part is trying to explain to management, which doesn't understand any part of the business. minus numbers.
Safety focused work shop
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDFebruary 28, 2015
Clean large shop a lot of things going on. There are many stations to work iron on. There is a large test bay where we test all the iron before it goes out into the field. After it passes test we send it to the paint booth.