Weis Markets Employee Reviews in United States

Entry level position
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, PADecember 16, 2015
A typical day at Weis Markets consisted of cashiering, or taking peoples orders in the deli department. I learned how to work with people, and I became a diligent worker and a task setter. Management was always very accommodating, helpful and professional. The hardest part of the job was being the closer in the deli and trying to close on time during busy evenings, but I always managed to get everything done. The most enjoyable part of the job was the regular customers that came in each day that I got to help. It made my day to be able to help them with their needs.
Pros
Close to home, enjoyable job
Cons
No benefits
Productive work place but fun
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 13, 2015
Typical work day was working with employees and customers. Making decisions to better company needs. Writing orders to maintain the store. Helping customers with their needs and showing them where they can find things, assuring they leave the store Happy and satisfied. I have learned that making your customers happy at the end of their shopping trip always brings them back and the smile on their face is priceless,
I enjoyed working with my co-workers and listening to them about there concerns and their ideas. Helping them advance.
I think the hardest part of my job was taking disciplinary action on things that didn't meet company standards. I enjoyed working with the customers by helping them find what they were looking for.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, great people
Cons
long drive to work
Its a job
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, PAApril 3, 2016
Every day basically the same its a very repetitive job. Co workers were great the management varies like every other place
Pros
good benefits quarterly free meals company picnic
Cons
hard to advance intercommunication issues
Comfortable Environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 12, 2015
People here are great, it's a small environment with friendly staff on a store and local level
However, there is not enough staff to cover the work sufficiently, and management outside of the store level does not seem to acknowledge this problem.
Managers are personable and easy to work with, will work around your schedule
Very little full time opportunity to grow in a career setting
Little to no pay raises for long time employees
High turnover rate
Pros
Positive Environment, Flexible and Understanding, Occasional free food
Cons
Little room for growth, Upper Management doesn't pay attention
I wasn't satisfied working here
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 31, 2016
They'll hire you for part time, but make you work full time, or as close to it so they don't have to give you benefits. Management sucks, coworkers were ok though.
Just a job
Grocery Manager/ Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Shamokin, PADecember 30, 2015
A decent starter job, but lacks the complete compensation package to make this a career. Recently they have improved their overall compensation package, but it is still lagging behind the rest of the industry.
I've learned and have grown a lot with the company.
department manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDDecember 22, 2015
When I first arrive at work I immediately go to my department and face everything, making the shelves look fuller, cleaner, and more organized, then; depending on the day, I will either, unload the shipment I ordered, do sales tags, or create an order based on my departments needs. I've learned about Computer Generated Ordering, management skills, organizational skills, excellent customer service skills in which I have had numerous customer compliments about me, and I have also learned how to properly address, interact with, and please the corporate representatives of the company. The management overall is very likable and willing to work with my needs and availability, though sometimes the store manager gets frustrated with my school schedule. I like almost all of my coworkers and have never gotten into any kind of argument or altercation with anyone at the store. The hardest part of my job is trying to juggle everything while being a one-man department. I have to clean, organize, order, count, stock, oversee product and sales resets, and take care of damages and shrink for my department, while also helping in other departments due to my cross-training. But I love learning the new departments and I enjoy learning as much as I can to become the best asset I can be for a company.
Pros
Flexible hours, coworkers are very nice and welcoming
Cons
Low pay, bare-minimum benefits for full-time employees
Opportunities to be promoted
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Easton, PANovember 11, 2015
I really enjoyed this job position while I was in community college. I learned how to handle big transactions of money through customer service; and eventually learned how to balance the books as the book-keeper of the company.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Lower pay salary
Deli/ Hot Foods
Deli/ Hot Foods (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PASeptember 15, 2015
Even though I only got to work part time I was able to enjoy the hours I was given. Working in the Deli/Hot Foods was quite simple work, but it did take a lot of multitasking. Not only did I have to make the food and prep it, but also take care of the customer's needs and questions at the same time. It was a great experience to not only to work with people who were easy to get along with but meeting and getting to know customers was always interesting.
Pros
Gettingto meet and get to know the customers
Cons
no health benefits for part time work
productive
Cashier and Customer relations (Current Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 10, 2015
managers are easy to talk to and are very understanding when you come to them with a problem. company benefits are also good.

Want to know more about Weis Markets?

Ask a question
Overall, not a great company to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVSeptember 21, 2015
The atmosphere and people are not positive which affects the way other people work and customer satisfaction. The hardest part of the job is working with the old cashier/computer equipment. If you were to accidentally scan an item twice, you would have to call the manager or supervisor over to override the item. This process makes things slow and the lines get longer; and customers get irritated.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Short break, pay, benefits
Helpful Employees
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Frederick County, MDMarch 22, 2016
This being my first job, working with people was new to me. Everyone welcomed me right away and helped me learn everything that I needed to about helping people and representing amazing customer service by showing exceptional communication skills, the drive to learn more and go further, and also how to keep the customer happy through the entire experience at the store. Management was helpful but the managers did change a lot. The most difficult part of the jobs was always meeting the customer's needs. The most enjoyable part was interacting with new people and regular customers, showing interest in their personal lives and try to get them to smile any way I could.
Fast paced environment with many opportunities
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMay 21, 2015
Each day is different depending on the time of year. I have grown as a manager and a leader through the variety of store locations, trainings and meetings. I work with a variety of managers to collaborate ideas for sales goals and shrink reduction; as well as, ways to improve employee moral, teamwork and efficiency. I have a phenomenal team in management and associates. We work together more and more as a team to improve efficiency and increase sales by taking on tasks in a variety of ways. The hardest part of my job is deterring bad habits to improve existing skills. However, by continually repairing bad habits, it has also shown me the most enjoyable part of my job; seeing people grow, improve and receive promotions to further their career under my training, is highly rewarding.
Pros
Compensation and Growth
Cons
inconsistent corporate communication
A good "first job"
Produce Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, PAMarch 14, 2016
In my opinion, working at Weis is a really good "first job". It was my first job. Straight out of high school, the amount of work you had to do and the amount you got paid was more than fair. A typical day consisted of stocking the shelves to make sure it was always full and organized and appealing to the eye. My coworkers as well as management were all incredibly supportive and kind all the time. No one ever gave me a hard time. The most enjoyable part of the job was making small talk with customers and just "BS-ing" and letting them know that if they needed anything, I would try my very best to get it for them as quick as possible. The hardest part of the job was telling a customer that we ran out of something, fearing that they would be upset with me. It's a pretty good job for someone starting out in the real world overall. I very much enjoyed it while I was there!
Pros
Nice staff, breaks were long enough, work load is pretty light
Cons
Sometimes you get an obnoxious customer who pouts when they can't get what they want.
Terrible Management and Organization
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 24, 2016
A typical workday is to ring out customers and help any with questions or when help is needed. I learned that most people that come into the store are very friendly and enjoy talking. Management was very poor. The wrong people were fired for stealing, they did not stick to the schedule associates had agreed to, employees were not paid on time, and minors were overworked. My co-workers were either slacking, leaving the store without letting anyone know, or were very sad and unwelcoming. The hardest part of my job was having to deal with the managers who had no idea what they were doing. The most enjoyable part was talking to all of the nice customer.
Pros
An extra dollar for working on Sundays.
Cons
Almost everything.
Excellent workplace with pleasant customers/employees
Customer Service/ Front End Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAApril 17, 2016
With working at Weis Markets, I have gained better social skills with not only customers but my fellow employees. A typical day involves working the customer service desk and filling out the correct paperwork when customers need assistance and when it's time to close down the desk at the end of the night. It involves small and large transactions dealing with all forms of payment. The hardest part of the job can be some customers when they are angry, but it is always handled in a professional way that makes the customers happy. The most enjoyable part of Weis is it's employees. They are all so kind and caring, as well as professional with their jobs.
Friendly employees and management, standard retail company
Head Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lemoyne, PASeptember 1, 2015
Weis Markets is a good place to work. They pay a decent wage, but starting salary is also based on experience.

Work load is moderate, management is good.

Fun work and environment.
great for what it is
stock clerk (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAMarch 11, 2016
as long as you work hard the job is great, $9.00 per hour, while room for advancement is slim the managers will find a place for you as long as you prove yourself
Meeting new people every day
Deli Clerk / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Willow Street, PAJune 4, 2015
A typical day at work was greeting customers and helping them choose from a variety of deli meats and cheeses. I learned that being polite is the way to treat people, even if they look like they've had a hard day. The management was ok. The co-workers were fun and excellent at what they did. The hardest part of the job, was the short hours. The most enjoyable part of the day was meeting new people every day. Always made it exciting.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Not enough hours to acquire benefits
Friendly Coworkers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PAMarch 3, 2016
A typical day at work is a very busy day, there is always something that needs to be done. I have learned a lot of patience with working with the people, how to use a cash register, and how to run a department. The management is good, they are always will to help when needed. My co-workers are very friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of the job is lifting heavy items over the bag racks. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my coworkers.