WEL Companies

WEL Companies Employee Reviews

Family orientated company, great enviroment
OTR Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  De Pere, WIJune 22, 2015
I am my own boss on the road to get the job done. I learned more about the landscape of this great, beautiful country. Management goes above and beyond to accommodate my needs. The hardest part of my job is being away from my wife and 2 children for periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is driving 18 wheels itself. Best career ever!
Great Company for being small
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIMarch 25, 2015
I worked as OTR driver for almost 3 years( took me twice as I left & came back, but things changed and had to depart for the last time.)

If you want to run & make money in the market, this company is a great refrigerated one to get going with. They have really good equipment in which they take pride in. (owner started driving & still does local runs, including his son who also is in mgt) They have multiple terminals throughout US(most are not 24 hr accessible though and you should plan accordingly. Last I knew they were working on this one issue) I always felt someone was listening to me talk when I visited each department when I had an issue. I didn't have to jump thru hoops to get there either. My dispatcher ran my tail off, sometimes I had to tell her to cool it! But the pay was rewarding. Never sent me somewhere I didn't want to go & always gave me enough hometime.
Pros
Able to talk to anybody in the office when you need to without going thru major hoops, no waiting behind locked doors & glass windows
Cons
not much pay in offloading freight yourself, sometimes you have to
good
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIOctober 8, 2014
I liked working here the people were good and easly reachable never had a problem if i did they solved it in a timely fasion. Unfortunatly the company had to close its doors
Misguided
Driver (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIAugust 4, 2014
Fresh out of training I had 2 preventable accidents. Getting ready to watch a video on the 2nd preventable and I was dispatched to Maspeth, New York (Queens) with a 53ft trailer. My driver manager didn't have a clue I was being sent to a borough of New York. 4 preventables in one day. The safety division, rather than send an experienced driver to get me out of queens, tried to gudie me out of Queens by enlisting the help of someone from Queens. Finally, I made it out of New York after 4 preventables. Managed to drive the truck to the terminal. Had the use of the truck for a full day while I waited to be terminated. It seemed the company was only interested in getting the truck back. Safety wasn't an issue, as given my inexperience, recent preventable accidents (2), the company should have immediately shut me down once they learned I was in Queens and these accidents would've been preventable. I have since learned that no 53ft trailers are allowed in any of the 5 bouroughs of New York. For that reason. The difficulty in maneuvering a trailer of that size.
Pros
good trainer...kyley, who no longer works there was the best, good pay, everyone is friendly
Cons
the cold, maintenance supv. has poor interpersonal skills rant and raves
Nice people to work with
Appointment Scheduler/LTL Coordinator (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJuly 11, 2013
a typical day consisted of scheduling trucks to destinations for pickups/deliveries. scheduled appointments. Entered information into the system. Coworkers for great to work with. the hardest part of the job was determining the amount of time that it would take for a truck to get from one destination to another. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people on the phone
Pros
working with nice people
Cons
hours were not the best
A pretty good starter company
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJune 2, 2013
WEL Companies is a pretty good place for new OTR drivers to start their careers. As long as a driver understands the pitfalls of being "low man on the totem pole," s/he will be successful. Go into the job with realistic expectations and don't listen to the bad-mouthing that goes on in this industry. WEL's training program could be more formal, including driver evaluation, and there is a great need for standardization; for example, a driver can be trained using paper logs but be assigned a truck that has electronic logs. The company has undergone significant changes in the past calendar year and hopefully, WEL Companies will continue to improve.
Pros
responsive driver managers and front-office staff; improved equipment
Cons
non-standard training; not enough stress on important otr factors
Funny and hardworking srapping metals
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJanuary 9, 2013
I always looked forward to going to work for the money and i loved the work i was doing. the hardest part was waking up at 3am to drive to work. my co-workers were great we worked as a team with out any complications. the managers loved our work that we were producing. i learned a lot about different kinds of metals and what there prices were.
very established team effort by all employes
Back Dock Lead (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 9, 2012
i loved this job and will miss it dearly. and find myself feeling like i needed to grow. as a person and employee and felt as if i reached my maximum advancements here with this company.
Loved my job there
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Green bay WIMarch 27, 2012
I just wanted to get out of trucking and be home more and spend more time with my daughter.

4.4