Welch's Employee Reviews

Not a great place to work
Palletizer / fork lift operator / cookroom (Former Employee) –  North East, PADecember 29, 2016
Claims to be family oriented but as a worker, your life is only for their needs. You are forced to work over your completed 8-hour shifts and up to 7 days a week if they need you. You only get your schedule to work 2 days out. It is not very family or time friendly.
Non-stop work, fun co-workers and supervisors.
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Westfield, NYOctober 13, 2016
Managed very well, Fun work, good co-workers, fair supervisors. The hardest part of the job is the 12 hours a day 7 days a week. The best part is I can drive forklift all night
Pros
Lots of overtime, paid lunch, long breaks
Cons
No personal time until season is over
fun place to work
Package Handler/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJSeptember 8, 2016
fast paced yet tense place of work. always busy the co-workers were cool. management was stern and always on top of employees for great production to get put out.
Company could care less about their employees
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  North East, PAJune 21, 2016
Company forces overtime all the time there is no family life when you work for them. All they care about is the almighty dollar.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Treat employees like slaves
Management will overwork and deceive you
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Northeast, PAMay 1, 2016
Left a decent job with steady house to work at Welch's Northeast. As part of my job offer i was told i'do me bounced between 2nd and 3rd shift, I would also be learning a "skilled labor" job that paid $6 more an hr. I was also informed that they did not force you to work double.

What they failed to mention was that being bounced around was day-to-day not week-to-week. Their schedule department has no idea what they are doingoing and there is no rhyme or reason to what they are doing. They don't release a schedule until the day before and will often change it several times through out the day.

Was scheduled for 2 doubles within the first 6 days I was there and they also failed to schedule in the skilled labor job they promised. When I tried to speak to hr about all these issues they simply enter responded with "I'll accept your resignation."
Pros
Two 20 min breaks, decent pay
Cons
Management and scheduling are clueless, noone cares about the employees, unpredictable schedule, all you do is work no time for anything else
Didn't work there long, summer job
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIJuly 17, 2015
It wasn't a bad place to work or anything. management and workers were friendly. I just worked on the line keeping it running on my end. Only worked there for three months till I went to Grand Valley State University.
Pros
good pay
Welch's
Packaging and Filling Machine Operator and Tender (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIMarch 16, 2015
Welch's is one of the best companies I've ever worked for 18 years, all the way at the top with management to my former co-workers. It was more like family. We ALL pulled together to make the company run like a well oiled machine. I've learned a lot. They will be missed!
Cons
The layoffs. It felt like loosing family members.
A challenging job in which I could adequately support my family.
Line Support (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIMay 18, 2014
A typical day at work involved working together as a team, which we did very well. The camaraderie was very nice. This helped me learn how to function with a diverse work force. The hardest part of this job was the fact that the line was very fast-paced, and it was sometimes difficult to keep pace. However, this also fueled my determination to do the best I could in keeping up; it became a daily goal for me to be better than the day before.
Pros
Discount on juice and jelly purchases, good benefits.
Cons
Very short notice when overtime was required, communication between production and shipping was often lacking.
Open door policy
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 9, 2014
Security, answering phones, scanning, faxing, photocopies, order lunches - mail - sorting, Fed Ex, UPS, anything anyone needed!

Family setting - friendly and good morale!
Pros
Great morale, free lunches
Cons
Temp position
has the potential to be a great place to work
maintenance (Current Employee) –  North EastMarch 23, 2014
If management had a clue of what it takes to do our jobs, this could be a great place to work. It is a slave master mentality now. With very little knowledge in management. But most dangerously they think they know what they are doing. Some people are permitted to get away with not doing their jobs, while others are highly scrutinized. In many ways it seems like upper management is trying to destroy the company. Very sad.
Pros
high pay and all the hours you would ever want
Cons
not a very good life balance. and being treated like a slave
it is close to home
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Lawton, MIDecember 20, 2013
they have cut so many jobs i was on first shift four years ago now i am the lowest one in maintenance over have of maintenance is gone i am worried i could lose my job or get laid off there is no job securite
good place to work
Maintenance Technician I-II (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIMay 25, 2013
I miss the job it is a good place to work I got good training their and
Major area employer, excellant compensation, much overtime..
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North East, PAMay 14, 2013
typical day; get turnover from previous shift,carryover work etc, assign jobs for technicians, monitor production lines, optimize performance. Monitor support utilities-waste treatment, refigeration plant for bulk storage. steam supply etc.
Learned; skills in dealing with subordinates, peers, higher management.
Management;High performance, fast paced, focused
co-workers;great group of people, dedicated
Hardest part of job; 50-80hr/wk normal
Most enjoyable; developing subordinates skills, solving challanging issues
Pros
good pay, good benefit package
Cons
much mandatory overtime
i like it
Puree Operator (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAMay 2, 2013
Coworkers were very helpful and worked together as a family cause they considered themselves as one. The job was easy and fun while the money earn was a lot then use to. The time of shift having to work was nice and never overwhelming surprisingly giving the fact I had no days off for a start month.
Pros
everything was a plus
Cons
didnt have transportation but was helped out
Hard work ,but I enjoyed the work and people that I worked with.
forklift drive/ machine operator (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIApril 22, 2013
Was nice to work with the people. learned new things everyday. Management wasn't very good.
Pros
pay was very good
Cons
laid off
Poor upper management, no home life, no support
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIJuly 10, 2012
Strat plan initiated by CEO and COO had head count reductions and 90% closing of plant as way to increase grower proceeds over 3 years. The result was releasing good people at the corp and plant level, however not one upper mangement position at the plant level was let go! They are a prominant part of the issues that have plaqued the company (Plant) for years. Still a lot of good people there wondering how long it will be before they shut the plant down and have all product co-packed.
Coworkers like family close to home.
Tankroom Atnt, R55 Op, Process Labor, Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIJune 4, 2012
A day at work was typically started in a shift meeting where we were informed of what was happening for our shift. Not always was the information correct but once we went to our work areas our coworkers were able to tell us what was happening with better detail and accuracy. The work environment felt like at times combative with the attitude that management was better than all the other people. While they tried to make us feel as though out opinions mattered it was obvious to us that it was a show. The company overall was a good company for the most part to work for. We had good pay and benefits but the overtime was never addressed satisfactorily and more times than not so many people with families did not get much notice or consideration when it came to overtime. What made the job tolerable was the family like group of people that I worked with. We all watched each others kids grow, we helped each other with tough family issues and laughed and cried together. I miss that the most.
Pros
pay and health benefits
Cons
the feeling that i didnt matter and no opportunity to advance in the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Welch's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7