Wesley Glen Retirement Community

Wesley Glen Retirement Community Employer Reviews

Large Retirement Community With Lovely Staff
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 29, 2014
Pros: get to make my residents happy and show them that even though they are old, they are still important if only to me; wonderful, outgoing, loving co-workers
Cons: short breaks, very physically demanding work, little or no help from management
I have worked at Wesley Glen for over a year now. I am in love with my residents as try to understand the difficulty of no longer being independent. My co-workers and I all work hard on a daily basis as well as helping each other out if someone is having a rough time by picking up their slack. Our job is very demanding and physically stressful but having – more... a strong work team makes the work day go by with ease.

A typical day at work starts with a 7 am meeting to go over diet changes for residents, daily menu, and special issues. After the meeting all the diet aides separate to their assigned satellite kitchens. We set up the kitchen for service and provide assistance to the residents as needed. After the residents are done eating we prepare the dining room and kitchen for the next meal. Typically the morning crew works Breakfast and Lunch.

I have learned more about specific diet types and what each type are encouraged to consume and what they should typically avoid.. Communication is also a key player at Wesley Glen and I work hard to participate in that flow. I often relay residents needs or concerns to the on-staff dietitians or supervisors to increase a resident's satisfaction as well as solving many of their concerns myself. I have learned how to be a solid team player as well someone who works independently. Time management plays an important role at my job as we must complete all of our duties within a very specific time window and must be able to do this with little or no supervision.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with residents or their family members who do not wish to follow the resident's prescribed diet. In this case, I try to come to a mutual consensus as to what is appropriate or not. Understandably, this can lead to residents or their family members becoming upset and when it does happen, I keep a positive attitude and alleviate the situation as best I can. If I cannot do this, I relay the problem to a supervisor or dietitian.

The absolute most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my residents get excited when they see me. I just love my residents and I care about them deeply. Their well-being and overall health is of much importance to me.

Management is fairly helpful when needed but tend to take a backseat on most issues. As Diet Aides we solve a lot of issues on our own until we have a chance to relay the information to the next tier. – less
Nice long-term care facility
Diet Aide (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 1, 2012
Prepared and served meals to the residents and assisted residents with meal selections
Trained new employees and strengthened my knowledge of food safety and food production
Wesley Glen is a great place for dietetics students to gain experience in the food industry