West Chester University Employee Reviews

Awesome
Making sandwiches (Former Employee) –  West Chester University on High StreetJune 7, 2017
I love working at West Chester University I like providing with the students interacting with the students they also like for me to fix Day food sandwiches wraps and just like I am a wonderful person to get along with and I just love what I do
Pros
Take a break
Cons
Long break time off
Staff (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAJune 7, 2017
I've been here for less than a year and its very political with loyalty to their long term employees. Academia is interesting but not much different than the rest of the working world.
Benefits
Cons
A lot more work than you signed up for
Love West Chester
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 19, 2017
I have spent the past six years of my life in West Chester and I love everything about it here. The university, the town, the location.
Great area!
Love working here!
Freshman Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 9, 2017
Great campus. Friendly people. The food trucks are a big bonus. This town is amazing!
The students have a great campus to get around on. The parking is very accessible for commutors.
assistant swim coach
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAApril 11, 2017
I wasn't to involved with administration. I love the school, and the pay is decent for a student. If you are a student at West Chester, you can find easy work at the school.
Great School
None (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAApril 10, 2017
I did not work for the company I was a Student. It was a wonderful university which I loved being a part of and one that makes all of its alumni proud to call their alma matter.
Great school
SWIM INSTRUCTOR/LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 20, 2017
Wonderful school. Very affordable compared to many other schools. School can be stressful so having a great town area to explore and have some fun definitely helps
Productive, lively workplace
Recreation Attendent (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 20, 2016
Operation of the Welcome Desk and Fitness floors and other assigned tasks.Provide quality customer service, clear and concise information, and direct all patrons to appropriate staff member as needed. Monitoring of patrons on fitness floors. Clean any and all equipment used by patrons.
Pros
Good hours, great people
Cons
Paid minimum wage
Productive work environment
Semi-Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 9, 2016
Maintains lawns, playing fields, trees, shrubs, and other grounds for the school system; Spraying herbicide, pesticide, fungicide applications; Maintain records of spray applications on a daily basis; Snow removal throughout school grounds.
Pros
Three breaks per day, great co-workers.
Cons
Salary adjustments, advancement, communication.
Excellent
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAFebruary 8, 2016
My experience at West Chester University was a rewarding and excellent one. I was fortunate to have supportive management and outstanding colleagues!
Work study job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 21, 2016
I worked in the Modern Language Department during for the length of my time at WCU.

I would have loved to be able to stay there if that was an option at the end of my work study.
Positive experience
Organic Chemistry Tutor (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAJuly 8, 2015
Good atmosphere, friendly people. A well-run operation that is a decent source of income for a student. Convenient hours.
Managers put more of the work on clerks and faculty
Clerk Typist 3 (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAJune 15, 2015
The managers/chairs of academic departments are under-involved or largely unavailable and this puts staff in the position to take on more of the role of problem solver and resource manager. The system is reactive, rather than proactive, and the union and tenure environment do not encourage promotion by merit. Those faculty and staff who are ineffective often take on less of the load, while those who are ambitious and hard-working get saddled with much more than is realistic. There are numerous problems of round-the-clock student enrollment management by staff and faculty and errors within the admissions and advising system that keep staff and faculty preoccupied throughout the day and into the evenings and weekends.
Pros
healthcare, free fitness center, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
overtime is necessary and not compensated, unrealistic workload, under-involved managers and supervisors, lack of opportunity for advancement, clerks managing major academic budgets
review
Filling Clerk/ Secretary (Former Employee) –  west chester, paMarch 22, 2015
At any college work study jobs are always awesome ways to earn extra cash!! Although they are not always guaranteed everyone should try it!
The joy in the eyes of my student made me feel very happy
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wester University, PAMarch 20, 2015
Time sheet is provided on Friday, every student is given 45 mn session. Job allows me to learn the necessary skills to be a good pedagogue in many subjects: Computer Science, MAths, Economy, and Accounting. Management was friendly.
compensation is good. Atmosphere is oppressive
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAMarch 3, 2015
Adjuncts can not advance even though there is a clause in the CBA that helps convert status from adjunct to Tenure Track. Not very supportive of distance ed.
Great Place to Work
Electronic Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 3, 2014
Stay out of management and politics. Lot's of benefits, steady work.
Pros
Its a state job
Cons
Its a state job
Admin. Asst. (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PASeptember 12, 2014
Worked with Department Chairs, faculty and students. Chairs, faculty and co-workers are very helpful, allow you to grow in position, take on responsibility. Learned PeopleSoft and SAP programs. Constant phone, in person contact w/students, faculty, other departments. Very kind, encouraging management and faculty. One of the best places I've worked, although only for a short time (less than 1 year). I was also working on BA part-time. Position was temporary fill-in for secretaries on leaves of absence. Hardest part of job was leaving! Busy times at beginning and end of semesters were stressful. Most enjoyable part of job was interacting with Chair, faculty and students to make their work easier.
Pros
Great people to work, great academic environment
Cons
Low pay
Excellent learning experience
University Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 20, 2014
A lot of work goes in to being a Resident Assistant. Maintaining a balance between school, work, and social life can be difficult when you live where you work. I built many positive relationships with this job and helped a lot of new students grow as individuals. Planning socials, holding meetings, doing rounds about the building and fostering a positive living community are just a few of the things that an RA is responsible for.
Pros
Free room and board, Great coworkers, Creativity is encouraged
Cons
Work/life balance can be tough, On-call nights can be exhausting as well
Professor
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  West Chester PADecember 28, 2013
I taught several undergraduate and graduate health education and public health classes and have created several health seminars. I have served on several committees for the department, college, university and communit. I have written for journals and health magazines.