West Elm Employee Reviews

No Imoression
Visual Merchandiser/Home Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 22, 2017
they make a lot of promises that they don't follow through on. Based off education and experience pay was not even close to what others with no experience and no education where getting.
Beautiful building and good people
In-Home Stylist / Sales (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 20, 2017
I started with West Elm a few months back and have really enjoyed my time there. The team is a fun bunch of people and the old post office building we work is is truly a piece of art.
Great job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAOctober 6, 2017
This job was fun and difficult, with a lot of opportunity for growth. I enjoyed my co-workers and the work environment. I would quickly recommend this employer to anyone.
Great company to work for - poor leadership & benefits
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 4, 2017
west elm has a wonderful company culture with values that are respected on both a personal and professional level. They have worked very hard to gain brand recognition while staying true to their beliefs.
Pros
flexible hours during busy times, great office workspace, electronic equipment is good, inspirational work environment
Cons
not all management encompasses the brand values, vacation days are not competitive or negotiable, leave is accrued in a system, you can't take time until it's calculated, medical insurance is expensive, insurance has limited services which don't make sense
Some teams more challenging than others
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2017
Lots of overtime on my team and demanding and sometimes unfair leadership with ambiguous or unclear direction often given. Reporting systems are also challenging.
Flexible work schedule
West Elm Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 28, 2017
Management team works with their employees, with concerns of hours. Other than that it's a straight forward job. They train their employers for the position they apply to.
Cool place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2017
Productive and fun. Its a cool place to work. The managers are cool, The associates are even better. Most of the customers are great, but some make it difficult.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
None really
Fun relaxed place to work
Visual Design Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 6, 2017
Fun and relaxed environment. Lots of appreciation shown for your work. Lots of parties and gatherings for employees. Its so relaxed that everyone is always happy so people are ready to help when needed and dont often complain
Fun place to work. Can be fast paced and also relaxing.
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 5, 2017
The job can be fast paced. One needs to have the ability to work with a team and also be independent. If you're looking for a job where you can organise and lift boxes, this is the job for you. Can be overwhelming on weekends at a times but it a easy job on minimum wage.
Pros
Moderate environment, walkie talkies
Cons
Requesting time off
Productive, enjoyable, and enerjectic
ASSISTANT VISUAL MERCHANDISING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 5, 2017
This company was the upmost unique. While they offered structered floorset, they always allowed approved free creativity as long as it remained within the West Elm overall aesthetic.
Great Place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 2, 2017
Great place to work. Decent pay. Flexible hours. Managers were almost always available for questions. Stock job was easy once you learn inventory. Very physical.
Great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2017
I work here seasonal and around Christmas time. Urges always busy. I saw different types of guests like artists and dancers... I like the discount as welll
West Elm
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 21, 2017
This store is located at Easton
The hours are long, and u the expectations are high
The stock room is dangerous
The management is poor
The pay is poor
Fun
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2017
Definitely had fun working with West Elm. A regular day consisted of stocking up the show room and doing pick ups and deliveries. Everything about this place was great from the staff to the management I only left due to having my first child on the way and i needed a more steady income.
Pros
great atmosphere, great staff
Normal Sales Associate Job
Substance Abuse Intern (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2017
There is nothing exceptional about West Elm. You might think this will be a really fun, exciting job but its like any other retail job. The main problem is the GM and there is not a strong desire to work among employees.
Pros
Awesome Inventory
Cons
Coworkers, Management
No Expectations
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 19, 2017
I've been with this company for a length of time, but that has no meaning to the company. They are not concerned with store level needs and concerns, only with promotions at corporate level.
You will suffer as an employee.
Pros
Has focus on local makers
Cons
A bunch!
Great Designs An Product
Interior Designer/Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 17, 2017
West Elm helped me get better at customer service and I learned a whole lot about interior design and textures. I was able to help a variety of people from all over the world.
Pros
Product discount
Cons
No room for growth in the store
My favorite job I've had to this day!
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 9, 2017
Being a sales associate isn't always a walk in the park but West Elm made it fun & easy. I loved learning about our products and I love that West Elm partners with local vendors!
Pros
40% off merch!
Cons
Long shifts
Fun place to learn to decorate.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2017
Fun place to work at. Hours are really bad. Management team is great to work with. You learn a lot about home decorating. You get to meet a lot of local artists.
Pros
40% off product
Cons
Benefits, hours, break area.
Creative work environment, lack of growth opportunity
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 28, 2017
Young collaborative work environment, little room for growth. Salary is below market value and raises are few if not at all. Upper management does not provide support needed to excel.