West Elm

West Elm United States Employee Reviews

Good
Visual Merchandising (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 27, 2015
fun, laid back sales job
Home Stylist/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Henderson, NVMarch 26, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: short breaks, low pay, no opportunities for advancement
A typical day on the job includes:
Assisting customers with purchases in store as well as online. Answering phones and dealing with customer service issues.
Restocking merchandise on the floor.
Build lasting relationships with clients.
As a home stylist I set up appointments with customers and assist them with their design needs.
Because it is retail, there are times when it can be boring when there is nobody in the store and no projects to work on. I work with great people and we are a good sales team.
As much as I like what the company stands for, I do wish there were opportunities for advancement.
Fast and Furious
Stockroom Supervisor (Former Employee), Emeryville, CAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: great staff, awesome discount, fun workplace
Cons: did not offer stock employees health benefits (during my time working)
Working in the stockroom at West Elm was an unforgettable experience. Quiet days were juxtaposed against non-stop, high paces, loud, crowded days. Management and staff changed several times during my time there. The staff was always fun and friendly, I made a lot of great friends there. The upper management was always willing to lend a hand and jump in if the store needed help. They made an effort to make the employees feel appreciated, something I particularly enjoyed. I started as an on-call stock employee and soon took the position of stockroom supervisor/shipper and receiver. I always enjoyed working at West Elm. I remember being really happy to go to work, and feeling like I got a great work out at the end of the day. I recommend West Elm to anybody looking for a unforgettable and fun challenge.
Fun job with great pay
Stockroom Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
West Elm is a fun place to work at. You meet great people from the staff to the customers. Everyone is just having a great day
Hard work, fun place but slow at times
Stock associate (Current Employee), Jacksonville, flFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: hour breaks, fun people
As a stock associate the work gets fast paced, and usually pretty difficult but doable after learning the ropes. The environment at west elm is overall pretty great though! The work as a stock associate can seem a bit under appreciated, though i would say that's a bit expected as a back end employee but we do get our pats on the back occasionally.

Difficult part is trying to deal with customers (on the phone and in the store, and picking up) while dealing with associates asking for items. And usually there is only one stock associate in at a time that must deal with all of this.

There are of course certain times of the year where business is slower and hours are cut as a part time employee.
Great company to work for.
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: gaining knowledgment
Cons: hours
West Elm is great company to work for. Managers are good team players, Tasks are ready for me, once it is time to clock in. There is always tasks to do, once your duties are completed.
A great concept store
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), PAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: the fact that i worked at a concept store
Cons: short breaks
I enjoyed working at West Elm, I mostly enjoyed my team and the people I had the privilege of working with. I also enjoyed the fact that i worked at a concept store so we had tons of Floor Sets and wold set our floor before the rest of the district. It allowed me to interact with the corporate team and have my ideas valued and implemented onto the sales floor. I enjoyed the management team I worked under when I was first employed and appreciated the coaching and development that was offered to me at the time.
hard
Stock Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2015
Tough you'll be the only worker on the shift having to move huge boxes twice your size
Fun atmosphere, flexible with school schedule
Visual Assistant/Stock (Current Employee), Henderson, NVJanuary 3, 2015
I enjoy working at West Elm and being part of the Visual Design Team. I learn store mapping skills, as well as setting up the store per directory. We have more flexibility with the way our store is designed because of its size, so creativity is allowed.
Stockroom Supervisor (Current Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 29, 2014
There is always something different that happens each day. Co-workers are great and make chaotic times go very well with their work ethic.
Positive, pleasant place to work with good relationships.
Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee), Huntington, NYDecember 20, 2014
Each day oversaw the receiving and processing of shipment, as well as the shipping of customer orders and corporate packages. Customer service was also a large part of the job, i.e. setting up pickups and deliveries, and keeping the customer satisfied.
The management was a solid collection of competent, professional people, who both knew how to do their jobs well and how to clearly instruct others on how to do their own jobs, while never being condescending. The coworkers were great to work with, and helped to create a good atmosphere. They were all friendly and efficient.
The job was not particularly difficult in any respect, but as it was retail, it could be a bit tedious. The best part of the job was the people I worked with.
Really up and coming place to work
Mastercraftsman (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 8, 2014
Pros: ability to be creative
Cons: commute
This was a great oppurtunity and a really fun place to work. I was able to be creative in a very entrepreneaurial atmosphere. I work with a really great team and have a strong working realationship with upper managment. The hardest part of this job is the commute and the amount of hours that I am away from my family.
WEST ELM CORPORATE
SOURCING (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2014
A lot of smart people here at WE. Management from the Sourcing department needs to improve though this is not the case in all categories.

There is minimal support when it comes to goals and growth. At times it feels like the needs of the brand are more important to higher management than the needs of the people.

Which is ironic because their motto is "People First".

This may not be the same experience for other departments as I've seen many of my peers move up and have strong managers.
Great culture
Operations Manager (Current Employee), san francisco caSeptember 10, 2014
Great job culture. Poor management. Very behind in technology. Low regard for employees and their contribution. Compensation average.
Very good company for internal advancement.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 4, 2014
Pros: good staff
A typical day would consist of making sure all products were in their rightful place, a lot of organizing of documents and cleaning.
Work
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 27, 2014
A typical day at work would be unloading a UPS truck full of furniture and bring them in for unpacking, We would then stock them on appropriate shelves while at the same time assisting with floors sales employees and customer delivery and pickup.From this job I've learned how to lead a crew and come up with ideas quick on my feet. I also learned organizational skills that helped improve my work ethic in the job place as well as in life. My coworkers were like family we were always willing to lend a helping hand no matter what was going on with our day. They also made you feel welcomed as soon as you walked into the door. The hardest part of my job would have had to be the scheduling conflicts that left the stock room short staffed. The most enjoyable part of my day was seeing my coworkers and meeting new people.
*High-Maintenance, Beyond Stressful, Draining Environment*
Visual Display Associate (Former Employee), Houston (Highland Village), TXMay 18, 2014
Pros: 40% employee discount on top of sales.
Cons: inadequate training. takes forever to get your discount card/sticker, direct deposit, etc.
Like many others, I was seduced by the fun and easy store ambiance which betrays the reality of what lies beneath:a highly stressful operation that is barely able to contain the chaos. The store is massive and only shows half of available merch.

Large crowds swarm the store and run you around mercilessly for desperately needed pillows and other adequate apartment sized furniture that is just barely above IKEA in quality. Confusion over numerous differing sales and coupons in competing company channels makes for inconsistency and confusion. Laborious, confusing, and time exhaustive process of ordering, since it mostly all done online.

The "ever dissapearing" Walkie-Talkies blasting in your eye constantly. Frustrated customers who overwhelm a scare staff (when they can get their attention). Broken furniture, an overworked and angry stock team. Only 2 non-manager employees get full-time hours and the lion's share of the sales. Bitter co-workers who seem to quit on a weekly basis. No one is happy here. The overburdened and insensitive manager can barely keep it together.

In my years of retailing, I have never seen it as bad as it is here. Too many needy customers (lots of ego-driven energy vampires), too many items not immediately available, not enough employees, Too many unfulfilled promises by management-made during hiring process leads many to quit prematurely. You will feel like a caged animal that is constantly pushed and pulled-on. Not worth the discount to go through all this.
Make sure products were unpacked and inventory was correct
Support (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 12, 2013
Pros: easy going
Cons: poor management
A typical day would consist of making sure all products were in their rightful place, a lot of organizing and cleaning. Making sure the store is intact.
What I most enjoy
Stockroom Employee (Former Employee), Las Americas, PRNovember 7, 2013
I mostly enjoy the diversity of knowledge that I may obtain at any job. I think that every job most be made as perfect as it can.
enjoyable
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Miami flOctober 15, 2013
Pros: good working team
Cons: not enough hours
Stock checks for sales team
Stock checks for customers calling on the phone
Shipping and receiving merchandise from national distributuion center
Store to store transfers