West Florida Hospital

West Florida Hospital Employer Reviews

Was premiere Hospital in Pensacola until corporate took control.
RN x > 25 years (Former Employee), PensacolaOctober 20, 2014
Pros: fair rate of pay, benifits
Cons: now focus is on money not quality
West Florida hospital was a place I was very honored to represent until HCA corporate personnel took over and stopped caring about employees, promoted financial gain only and most of all decreased quality care to pt's.
I had worked at West Florida Hospital for greater than 25 years as an RN.
I trust my former colleagues but as I have many have left – more... due to conflicting ethical issues with money centered corporate personnel . – less
Great place to work.
Registrar (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits and i love appreciation week where they thnaked us by free food and gifts.
Cons: health issues from being around sickness.
I collected patients demographics and insurance information. I collected co pays and fees after verifying insurance.
Independent department culture in case management, autonomy and encouraged to "think outside the box" atmosphere with good managerial support.
RN CASE MANAGER (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLOctober 15, 2014
Pros: independence and autonomy
Cons: benefit cuts and small merit increases
I really enjoyed the culture of my case management department, case managers met daily for lunch for roundtable discussions that helped each other to find solutions to any difficult discharge plans they may have been having. It also gave us opportunities to bond our team and foster a great inter department cohesiveness I have not found anywhere else. – more... Wonderful place to work. – less
good benefits
Internal Medicine- Externship (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 28, 2014
loved what I did. I learned a lot. it helped prepare me for an actual job and gave me a lot of experience.
challenging job
RN (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 23, 2014
Pros: friendly, caring staff
Cons: busy
challenging job,good team work among staff,friendly staff.
REGISTRAR (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJune 19, 2014
No benefits or PTO, not good management and not very organized.
support staff role
Health unit coordinator (Former Employee), Pensacola, FloridaMay 21, 2014
Pros: free counsling if a employee needed help. free birthday lunches.
Cons: hard to take breaks
Very busy work environment with call lights and multiple phone lines to answer. Learned cardiac monitor role and to multi task, In this support role you transcribe doctors orders and notify nursing staff of any changes in patients vital signs or heart rhythm, You learn to work with different personality types and learn to work together. Hardest part – more... of the job was during patients codes the stress level was very high. – less
Satisfying, Rewarding, Mental Health Nursing
RN - Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLMarch 25, 2014
Each day I check charts, do assessments, take vitals, pass medications, and any other necessary medical interventions. I also provide group therapy time for my psych patients. Since I started, I have acquired leadership skills by becoming charge nurse. I get along well with management and feel they are constantly involved in improving our programs. – more... My co-workers and I all work well together, each completing the tasks we are assigned while still offering assistance to the others as needed. The hardest part of my job is seeing the end-stage dementia patients pass away. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the fast recovery of mentally unstable patients. – less
Med-Surg Hospital bedside nursing
Hospital Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMarch 7, 2014
Pros: allow new nurses to get experience.
Cons: you are just a body; just another nurse.... get the job done. you can be replaced, constant influx of new nurses, do not strive to keep their nurses.
Extremely stressful. Short on nursing support. Nursing support and nurses stretched too thin. Some wonderful groups of nurses that often have to lean on each other to get through a tough job.
be confident if you need to use this hospital. it is a great one
Staff nurse nights in busy ED, performing primary (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 30, 2013
Pros: excellent education
Cons: backstabbing at times, dismissal of great doctors without known cause
It is a busy ED. Many learning opportunities every day. Competent, caring co workers and management. Terrific education department. The best part of the job is pride in what we turned out. Great LOS and very quyick from EMS to cath lab times. The hardest part was leaving this job when I moved to NC.
GOOD JOB
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 29, 2013
Pros: worked weekend program
Cons: busy, disorganized culture.
YET VERY BUSY, DISORGANIZED YET GREAT CO-WORKERS. SEEMS LIKE THEY GREW TO QUICK AND THINGS WERE MISSED LIKE TAKING CARE OF STAFF
great job
Kidney Dialysis Technician (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLOctober 11, 2013
Pros: helping people
Cons: patients die
• • Sets up and operates hemodialysis machine to provide dialysis treatment for patients with kidney failure: Attaches dialyzes and tubing to machine to assemble for use. Mixes dialysate, according to formula. Primes dialyzer with saline or heparinized solution to prepare machine for use.
• Transports patient to dialysis room and positions patient on – more... lounge chair at hemodialysis machine. Takes and records patient's predialysis weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate, and respiration rate.
• Explains dialysis procedure and operation of hemodialysis machine to patient before treatment to allay anxieties. Cleans area of access, using antiseptic solution. Connects hemodialysis machine to access in patient's forearm or catheter site to start blood circulating through dialyzer.
• Inspects equipment settings, including pressures, conductivity, and temperature to ensure conformance to safety standards. tarts blood flow pump at prescribed rate. Inspects venous and arterial pressures as registered on equipment to ensure pressures are within established limits.
• Calculates fluid removal or replacement to be achieved during dialysis procedure. Monitors patient for adverse reaction and hemodialysis machine for malfunction. Takes and records patient's post dialysis weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate, and respiration rate.
• May fabricate parts, such as cannulas, tubing, catheters, connectors, and fittings, using hand tools. – less
Nice Hospital
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: good work environment
Cons: n/a
Respiratory Therapist involve patient assessment and recommendations for therapy.
Enjoyable place to work
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 4, 2013
I was responsible for many things while working as a Health Unit Coordinator at West Florida Hospital/Family Birthplace. Answering the telephone and patient call light within a timely manner, entering physician orders into the Meditech and CPOE systems. I was also responsible for ordering office supplies for the unit as well as assisting in ordering – more... patient supplies. Entering statics on a daily basis for staffing. My coworkers and I worked together as a team to ensure excellent patient care. – less
Good place to work where employees are focused on quality patient care and service.
Film Librarian (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 24, 2013
I like working at WFH because it allows me to use my skills at my
fullest potential. My days begin early with pulling files and end with
either helping patients acquire their records or providing records as
requested per HIPPA Policy.I feel as though I am well trained for my
job and that management keeps me informed of policy changes and
new procedures – more... regarding my present position as Film Librarian. – less
good place took work
Unit Secretary/Monitor Tech (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 24, 2013
Pros: the experence i got there
Cons: not enough hours
a typical day is busy . I learn a lot about ER. The management was great. the co worker where great team players.The hardest part was keeping up with the turn over in ER. The most enjoyable part was working with great people.
To obtain a postition as a Certified Medical Assistant in a Medical Facility.
Full Time 2007- 2012 / PRN 2012 - Present (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 17, 2013
Pros: love being a medical assistant and caring for patients.
Cons: different work ethics among other co-workers
Arrive at work at 0645 to calibrate our medical machines for the day.and to open up in time at 0700. In my typical day patients start arriving for their physicals which include: assist to check in emergency patients in first aid and work related injuries. Doing complete physicals of audiograms, pulmonary function testing, height, weight, temperatures, – more... blood pressures, eye exams, cholestech screenings, EKG's, faxing reports to hospital doctors, venipuncture, respiratory fit testing, spirometry, drug testing, breath alcohol testing, locate pateints charts, gather proper paperwork for physicals,complete patient accounts on computer and scheduling and enter patients for return visit if needed, month end account status, and many other duties. Management has always been a very positive and supportive experience working at WFH. Co-workers are great. However, sometimes its difficult to me to see when a patient comes into our clinic that others don't rush to their needs as I do. I have always thought even if its not my job requirement I have always gone beyond the call of duty to help out where ever I am needed no matter if that was not my paricular job description or not, but others don't view customer satisfaction the way I view it, this to me would have to be the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable of my job is coming into work every day and giving my all to my patients and others that I work side by side with. I have been a medical assistant since 2001 and being a medical assistant I think has been my calling to complete my job and be satisfied by the end of the day that I had given my all and to have someone say, yes she Connie made a difference today in my life and the lives of others. – less
FUN WORK PLACE
Food Service Representative (Current Employee), PENSACOLA FLAMay 9, 2013
Pros: enjoy good free when team gets a thump up from a survey
Cons: lunch breaks are not long enough
WEST FLORIDA A NICE PLACE TO WORK ,IT HAS GOOD BENEFIT, JOB SECURITY, I ENJOY PREPARING FOOD FOR THE PATIENT ,I ENJOY PATIENT/GUEST ,CUSTOMER SERVICE I LEARN HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO PEOLPLE WHEN YOU SHOW LOVE AND RESPECT TO SICK PATIENT IT MAKES THEIR DAY, I WERE IN MANAGEMENT IT WAS A ENJOYABLE JOB, ALL OF MY CO-WORKER ARE A GOOD TEAM THE HARDEST PART – more... OF MY JOB IS TO TELL A PATIENT THEY CAN,T HAVE A CERTAIN FOOD THAT THEY MIGHT WANT DUE TO THEIR DIET, WITH A SMILE ,GOOD ATTITUDE KNOWING I.M GOING TO WORK TO BE ABLE TO HELP SOME ONE IN SOME KIND OF WAY THAT MIGHT CAN.T DO FOR THEMSELF – less
Enjoyed West Florida
Cardiac/Telemetry Nurse (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLApril 12, 2013
Loved West Florida but the pay was soooo low. Unable to negotiate wages. Really cared for staff in other ways and showed appreciation.
Excellent work place
Endoscopy Assistant (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: positive atmosphere
Cons: gets busy at times
My coworkers are very helpful, and a pleasure to work with. I enjoy everyday coming to work and being fortunate to work with such great and professional people.

About West Florida Hospital

West Florida Healthcare is proud to offer all private rooms to our patients. Our facility is the area's only Atrial Fibrillation – Read more