West Florida Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Great working atmosphere! Competent employees
Imaging (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 27, 2016
Enjoy my co-workers and department. Management in imaging is approachable and appreciative of us. Low turnover rate. As we get increased patient load, it seems like everyone balances workload without compromising patient care. One main negative aspect is having a million different hospitalists who very rarely know their patients, which makes it hard for different modalities when we need information. Excessive, repeated and unnecessary diagnostic testing ordered daily.
Pay is on the lower side, but environment is priceless. The health benefits are mediocre at best.
Overall, I would recommend this hospital for personal care or career.
Pros
Envirorment, Competant workers, Pleasant atmosphere.
Cons
Too many hospitalists, lower pay scale, short staffed in some areas.
transfer to another departmen
Nursing Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 12, 2015
If you are good in what you do there and your manager does not want to lose you, they will make it hard for you to move, including blocking all of your internal transfers.
Pros
Cafeteria food is great
Cons
very nit picky
A great place to work.
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 10, 2015
The only thing I didn't like about West Florida is that the Telemetry Unit didn't have their own space. You are stuck in the corner of CCU. You do not have a "telemetry manager" you have a nurse manager.
Good, quality staff
Premium PRN Psychiatric Unit (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 3, 2015
Due to a current nursing shortage, everyone is working a lot of hours with minimal staff. Very difficult and stressful. The staff is knowledgeable but due to the shortage, very difficult to complete assignments.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Short breaks
progressive tele
Urodynamics nurse (Current Employee) –  mccAugust 19, 2015
I charge nurse on a progressive tele floor help team with the flow of work take a full load of patient many days
I am not sure if im filling this out correctly
Pros
team
Cons
manager
Good teamwork with peers but recent management reducing team spirit
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at work is busy and fast paced on the nursing unit I
work on. It was a very desirable and satisfying job until our director was changed last year. Since then it has all been downhill.
This has made me question the quality of the patient care and team building desires for this facility. It appears that the CEO and DON is not in turn to the nursing staff to have made such a poor choice for
a director.
My co-workers are great but are fast declining as the staff turnover
increases.
The hardest part of the job is realizing that such a poor choice was made for our director. To make matters worse the job was made for this person. Talk about a lapse in judgement and leadership!
The most enjoyable part of this job was the teamwork we had on our nursing unit. It was like "family" at work.
Pros
A good, friendly atmosphere for providing healthcare.
Cons
Poor recent management decisions effecting the Cardiac Division.
n/a
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 14, 2015
Great environment to learn and excel in the nursing field, especially
as a new graduate in nursing. Friendly staff. Great annual education that includes recertification that includes BLS and up to date in
electronic charting.
Med/surg
Staff Nurse, LPN/RN (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 28, 2015
Worked 3-11pm on med/surg unit. My first LPN/RN working experience. Loved all of my coworkers. It was hard to have such a large patient load, but the coworkers were like family.
Pros
3-11 shift
Cons
Large patient load
Great working environment
Assistant Nurse Manager/Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 16, 2015
Great teamwork with fellow colleagues. Very busy floor. A lot of room to move up the ladder. Management team are great. Patient to nurse ratio is one of the best. Love my team and floor.
Pros
Great example of teamwork between nurses
Cons
weekends
Productivity slowed and patient care suffering by recent initiatives of upper management and corporate changes.
Computed Tomography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 28, 2015
A good hospital gone bad. Work flow and patient care once upon a time were impeccable. With a growth spurt came poor placement of new construction lack of organization in all areas,an excess of repetitive steps and duplicate paperwork across multiple facets of a patients' visit, and a lack of a cohesive computer program to bridge the gaps. Employee's job security still at risk, major infrastructure changes at play. Personally biased discriminatory actions by singular management entities being allowed throughout multiple levels of upper management.
Pros
Hardworking employees making the best of a hospital in flux.
Cons
Very busy work environment, poor supervisory skills unable to handle any departmental or employee issue independently, without consulting with the manager/director for guidance and help, equipment age and failures
Caring hospital with great staff
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 30, 2015
I worked for West Florida Hospital for several years in a few different departments, as well as, departments that I floated to for work. The entire staff is friendly and caring. They strive to achieve patient satisfaction.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not a teaching facility
Adding more to my resume and my career
Pharmacy Tech II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 23, 2015
A typical day at work consists of me coming in at 11pm filling carts, making iv's, delivering meds and cleaning the iv room. Ive actually learned a lot about making iv's and the ins and outs of being a technician for a hospital here at west florida. My manager and director are two great women I love working for. My co workers are great too! The hardest part of my job is missing a lot of things during the day because I work the 11pm to 7am shift. The most enjoyable part of my job is everything I ve learned here, ive never worked inpatient pharmacy, been mostly retail. So its giving me a chance to advance my career!
Pros
can charge lunch or dinner to directly to your paycheck
Cons
no breaks really other than lunch
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 26, 2015
I enjoyed my time with West Florida greatly. My co workers became like family, which made the work environment nice. My only dislike was salary virus cost of living.
Fast pace and productive
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 13, 2014
The lab at West Florida Hospital is a good lab and is getting better , however I worked on the night shift and the two other technologist were fresh out of school . The lab manager is very good .
Pros
salary was adequate
Cons
technologist fresh out of school on night shift
Was premiere Hospital in Pensacola until corporate took control.
RN x > 25 years (Former Employee) –  PensacolaOctober 20, 2014
West Florida hospital was a place I was very honored to represent until HCA corporate personnel took over and stopped caring about employees, promoted financial gain only and most of all decreased quality care to pt's.
I had worked at West Florida Hospital for greater than 25 years as an RN.
I trust my former colleagues but as I have many have left due to conflicting ethical issues with money centered corporate personnel .
Pros
fair rate of pay, benifits
Cons
now focus is on money not quality
Great place to work.
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 17, 2014
I collected patients demographics and insurance information. I collected co pays and fees after verifying insurance.
Pros
great benefits and i love appreciation week where they thnaked us by free food and gifts.
Cons
health issues from being around sickness.
Independent department culture in case management, autonomy and encouraged to "think outside the box" atmosphere with good managerial support.
RN CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 15, 2014
I really enjoyed the culture of my case management department, case managers met daily for lunch for roundtable discussions that helped each other to find solutions to any difficult discharge plans they may have been having. It also gave us opportunities to bond our team and foster a great inter department cohesiveness I have not found anywhere else. Wonderful place to work.
Pros
independence and autonomy
Cons
benefit cuts and small merit increases
good benefits
Internal Medicine- Externship (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 28, 2014
loved what I did. I learned a lot. it helped prepare me for an actual job and gave me a lot of experience.
challenging job
RN (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 23, 2014
challenging job,good team work among staff,friendly staff.
Pros
friendly, caring staff
Cons
busy
REGISTRAR (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 19, 2014
No benefits or PTO, not good management and not very organized.

West Florida Hospital Reviews by Location