West Hills Hospital and Medical Center

West Hills Hospital and Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great pay and benefits but difficult working conditions
Food/Nutrition Aide (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CADecember 11, 2016
The pay is competitive. The union is very strong and in favor with the worker not the company. The management style is very loose and ineffficient, causing extra work and stress that could be avoided.
Pros
FREE FOOD, GREAT BENEFITS
Cons
UNEVEN WORK FLOW, TERRIBLE SCHEDULING CONFLICTS, EXTRA WORK AND STRESS DUE TO BEING UNDERSTAFFED, FORCED TIME OFF DURING LOW CENSUS.
Leadership Deception
Quality (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CANovember 23, 2016
Tricky place! Deceitful Quality department VP. After signing a contract to be part of quality staff leading member, it becomes noticeable that the VP of quality which has very close friendship with the CEO solely hires well experience Canadiens for an only short period, less than 90 days just to learn what the new candidates know. Right before 90 days, he/she they came up with a very simple excuse; such as not a good fit, unable to learn a new task, etc. It becomes apparent that these types of behaviors have been going on for the last few years after researching and noticing same kind jobs being posted saveral times a year.
It is important noting, once this happens it almost impossible in obtaining a position in other HCA facility, even if you are the perfect match to the job description HCA Hospital posting.
Pros
Cons
90 days new hires policy
Fastest paced place to work
ER Registrar (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAJanuary 13, 2017
I will always be grateful for the experience that I have achieved while working in ER. This helped me to see the reality of life and taught me how to do my perform my job under pressure and still remain calm at the same time. I transferred to another division of HCA.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Never a dull moment
Nice place to work at
Emergency Room Admissions Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Good Benefits.
Hard to take breaks and lunches on busy days.
Not that much room to grow, unless you're a nurse or dr.
It is very rewarding when you're thanked by patients.
Excellent community Hospital with quality physicians and staff
Director of Lab and Pathology Services (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAAugust 1, 2013
West Hills Hospital & Medical enter provided me achance to work in a "for profit" healthcare system, i.e. Healthcare Corp of America HCA.
I learned to manage all aspects of the Clinical & Pathology Lab Services.
A typical day at work included managing the payroll, quality of patient testing while maintaining a high level of productivity and excellent turnaround time of patient test results.
Pros
Excellent benefits and staff
Director of Nursing Services (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 10, 2015
I enjoyed my job, but just needed a break from commuting. I learned so many things as a director that will be helpful for my next job.
Pros
excellent benefits, supportive administrative team, room for advancing
Cons
conflict with the union reps
High paced 30 bed Emergency Department
Telemetry Technician/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 9, 2013
12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week - A typical work day includes: diagnostic order entry for 50-80 patients. Contacting ancillary staff to carry out testing. Facilitating the transfer of patients to other hospitals, behavioral health units and skilled nursing facilities. Initiating hospital admissions. Fielding a high volume of phone calls from various parties that include staff, administration, physicians, technicians, patients, visitors, external facilities, etc...Entering charges for all emergency department patients. Assessing patient cardiac monitors for cardiac dysrhythmia and coordinating staff to implement appropriate intervention measures. And other various tasks.

I have learned a great deal about the various operational aspects of an emergency department. I have become more familiar in dealing with IPA's and HMO's to coordinate patient care plans. I have increased my proficiency in large scale multitasking at high volume.

I have been here though 5 different departmental managers in my time with this company. All had differing management techniques and operational styles which they applied with varied degrees of success.

I work with a fine group of nurses and technicians who perform their jobs with efficiency, skill, and care for the well being of their patients.

The hardest part of my job is the constant demand for fast paced multitasking combined with the long work day.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the rare occasions when I get to see how work that I preformed had a direct positive effect on a patient's outcome.
Pros
low cost meals, excellent health care benefits, competitive 401 matching
Cons
short breaks, frequent insufficient staffing, inordinate amounts of extraneous documentation in multiple systems, ineffective department management
Very easy, always had fun
Hospital Volunteer (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CADecember 29, 2015
I learned how to get all the tasks that needed to be done in a day finished in a fashionable order. I start by ,making sure the IV kits were filled then going around to patient rooms, go to ER waiting room. My co workers are so kind they are always doing their job with a smile and work so hard at what they do. The hardest part of the job was making sure we had the correct amount of items in the room, watching to make sure they never ran out. Everything was so enjoyable from beginning to end.
Pros
Free Meals, amazing co workers
Cons
A dynamite place to work
Wound Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 2, 2016
This is a great place with really caring people. I have experience only caring from the Administration and help getting what I need
Pros
Administration
Cons
unknown
Amazing facility to work in :)
Registrar (Former Employee) –  West HillsAugust 24, 2012
West Hills Hospital & Medical Center is personally the most technologically advanced facility in the valley. Most hospital staff are polite. I always learned something new everyday with my duties. This has been my personal, golden ticket, opening doors to other opportunities elsewhere.
Management is a little weak. The new manager was very blunt and unorganized with accommodating her employees' needs. My director, however, was very accommodating and understanding. Like any other work environment, selective co-workers need not be trusted.
The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with the new manager and her personal demands.
Besides the cons of management, I personally enjoyed and am forever grateful to have been employed at this facility. =)
Pros
amazing facility/technologically advanced
Cons
difficult management
Great learning opportunity
Student (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CANovember 3, 2015
Great learning opportunity working in several different units of the hospital with caring and knowledgeable staff and management
Fun Place to work
Accounts Payable/Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CANovember 18, 2014
I really enjoyed working for West Hills Hospital. I was born in this hospital and delivered my own son in this hospital so it held a very special place in my heart. I enjoyed working in the Finance department but unfortunately my job migrated to Utah, forcing me to look for another job.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Long hours, and alot of overtime
Enjoyable work and great co-workers
Administrative Assistant, Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 11, 2015
I was a student volunteer and my job consisted of organizing and creating patient charts, creating medical bracelets, accurately filing and keeping track of patient documentation, make copies. Management and co-workers were amazing, helped in any way as possible. The most enjoyable part of my job was being fast and accurate in my job.
Pros
Infinite work
Okay place to work
Adult Intensive Care Unit, Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 15, 2015
This was my first job where there was no ICU intensivist; therefore it was a great challenge to advocate for your patients. I had to call one MD to the next to get anything done, and things aren't done in a timely fashion. It was a very busy unit, and the lack of resources such as lift team and/or CNA made it very difficult to find help when you need it. All the RNs are busy with their own patients and RN end up getting swapped and burn-out. Lack of team cohesion made it hard to work there too.
Pros
Good ICU manager
Cons
No ICU intensivist, Lack of team cohesion, under staff, overworked
Bad leadership
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAMarch 4, 2015
I only learned not what to do in this organization. No culture, no compassion for employees. No room for advancement. I would rather not comment any more but there is a requirement to keep writing more.
To far to drive every day
Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAOctober 25, 2015
Just ok place, nothing to compare to psjmc but I learned a lot. Met a lot of smart people and enjoyed to work with them. Those skills that I learned helps me to train other people
Good
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 26, 2015
Loved working with the Kids, and counceling them it wa som of the best times. But it was also very scary at times know one should be by themselves there should always be two people on the floor at all times...
Pros
Loved workking with the kids
Cons
Security
The patients were a pleasure
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAApril 21, 2015
Phones, delivering test to the lab, delivering to all departments with in the hospital. Taking equipment to different departments as needed. Helping patients fill out there menus for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Delivering news papers to patients. Dealing with families.
Was good
Were kind
Some times not having enough to do
The patients
very rewarding environment
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 11, 2013
Helping patients is the most rewarding. Management is not at all on your side, it is all about money. The hardest part of my job was receiving the dr.s orders from the nursing staff in a timely manner.
Results oriented, hard working team.
Vice President, Business Development (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAAugust 24, 2015
Implemented financial cutbacks.

Hospital may be sold.

Intense focus on patient care.

For profit organization, traded on the stock exchange.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Hills Hospital and Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

West Hills Hospital and Medical Center Reviews by Location