West Hills Hospital and Medical Center

West Hills Hospital and Medical Center Employee Reviews

Always short staffed!
RN (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAJanuary 10, 2018
There is a very high turnover rate at West Hills Hospital and it is obvious why. There is never enough staff, frequent missed breaks, and management that is constantly on your back. The pay is very competitive compared to other hospitals in the area, but money isn't always the most important thing. Management is frequently hiring new people, but unfortunately it isn't always enough because people are frequently leaving.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short staffed, poor management
Whh
Executive Assistant/Medical Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 11, 2017
Enjoyed working at West Hills. Very cooperative team, all hard workers. They really care for the mental health patients at that facility. Patient Safety and patient's comfort and happiness were key.
Pros
Benefits, Low Cost Meals.
Cons
No chance for Advancement.
poor work environment
Therapist/Counselor/Social Worker/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 24, 2017
This facility is strictly for for profit. Will admit anyone just to make sure the beds are full so the Admin Personnel such as CEO, Directors etc. can receive a financial bonus.They won't admit to it buy have gone down town to the local homeless shelters and asked people not able to get into the shelters to come to WHH just so the beds are full. No consideration for staffing needs - always short staffed putting patients and staff in jeopardy, has hired someone with a criminal conviction. Not the most desirable place to work. Employees are expected to perform 10 hours work in an 8 hour shift, very cliquey work environment, if your not liked by certain people - you are treated as an outcast in efforts to make one quit so unemployment benefits don't get paid out, little to no house keeping staff. Building itself has structural issues, Patient complaints are pre-screened instead of addressed (if addressed at all), just to scratch the surface. Not the most desirable place of employment. Can't wait for new facility to open to provide patients and staff alike - a clean, safe environment.

This all pertains to the Reno, NV West Hills Hospital and not any other facility that may go by this name or anything similar not located in Reno, NV
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Great benefits with good competitive pay
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAOctober 4, 2017
Benefits are great and the pay is quite competitive. However lack of support from management and a lack of qualified staff hurt this facility daily. Most of the people on staff are friendly but do tend to get stressed out easily.
Inpatient psychiatric facility was chaotic
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 25, 2017
Poor patient care, not enough resources, inadequate staffing. MD that did not care for patients. Too much focus on profitability at the expense of quality of care.
Pros
can't recall
Cons
chaotic
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CASeptember 19, 2017
It is a very relaxed but also efficient environment. Very organized! Employees are nice and always there for you when you need them. Co-workers are great as well!
This is a fast paced high stress crisis management position
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 28, 2017
This is a company owned by UHS a massive corporate entity that is concerned primarily with the number of admissions and money they are providing their stock holders. I have acquired skills in crisis management, personnel management, an understanding of the underlying insurance structures to include medicaid and medicare options in Nevada. I have spent a significant amount of time training new hires due to the turn over rate.
Pros
decent pay, flexibility for paid vacations
Cons
no breaks or lunch, fast paced high stress environment dealing with people when they are at their worst.
Very enlightening experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 13, 2017
I volunteered in the ICU department and seeing the high stress situations that the nurses and the doctors go through on a day to day basis is always fascinating. I just did the basics: data entry, general cleaning and do anything that the staff requests.
An okay place to work
Diet Aide (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAJuly 4, 2017
The pay was pretty good/some of the people were great to work with, but there was always unnecessary drama and not enough resources to do your best. When suggestions were made about how to improve things and help us be more efficient, they were usually shot down. The flexibility in scheduling was nice, and there was a great effort made around holidays to divide up the shifts so that everyone would get some time off. Overall, it wasn't a horrible job, but for a long term career it just wasn't a great atmosphere for that.
Pros
Somewhat flexible scheduling, pay
Cons
Constant drama and not enough resources to do your job adequately.
A fun place to work at
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAJune 7, 2017
I learned a lot from different people. I was able to work all shifts and meet people with different backgrounds. I enjoyed working in the hospital atmosphere.
great place
OR Scheduler (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAMay 31, 2017
Great place to work. It's loving employees that treat you like family. I have learned a lot in both departments that I can apply at another job in the same field.
Pros
great place
Cons
nothing bad to say
moderate
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAMay 29, 2017
Many managers find it difficult to thrive in this environment. There are many people there who have been there for many years , but there is also a significant turnover of those that can't.
West hills
Sitter (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 19, 2017
West hills was a great place to work. It was very first job in a hospital setting. I feel as though it was very professional , the nurses were great to work with.
I was there temporarily
Surgical Technologist Externship (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAMarch 31, 2017
I did my Surgical Tech externship in central supply. It's extreamly quiet there aside from the huge autoclaves. There is very minimal converstaion between coworkeres and as far as I could tell, there's not much to the job. Very easy and straight forward.
Too much employee and management turnover
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 24, 2017
In the 2 years I was employed there, they went through 3 CEOs and numerous Nursing Directors. Lack of consistency with management was not conducive to a productive work environment.
Pros
Pto
Cons
lack of consistency and management
Fastest paced place to work
ER Registrar (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAJanuary 13, 2017
I will always be grateful for the experience that I have achieved while working in ER. This helped me to see the reality of life and taught me how to do my perform my job under pressure and still remain calm at the same time. I transferred to another division of HCA.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Never a dull moment
Great pay and benefits but difficult working conditions
Food/Nutrition Aide (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CADecember 11, 2016
The pay is competitive. The union is very strong and in favor with the worker not the company. The management style is very loose and ineffficient, causing extra work and stress that could be avoided.
Pros
Free food, Great benefits
Cons
Uneven work flow, Terrible scheduling conflicts, Extra work and stress due to being understaffed, Forced time off during low census.
Leadership Deception
Quality (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CANovember 23, 2016
Tricky place! Deceitful Quality department VP. After signing a contract to be part of quality staff leading member, it becomes noticeable that the VP of quality which has very close friendship with the CEO solely hires well experience Canadiens for an only short period, less than 90 days just to learn what the new candidates know. Right before 90 days, he/she they came up with a very simple excuse; such as not a good fit, unable to learn a new task, etc. It becomes apparent that these types of behaviors have been going on for the last few years after researching and noticing same kind jobs being posted saveral times a year.
It is important noting, once this happens it almost impossible in obtaining a position in other HCA facility, even if you are the perfect match to the job description HCA Hospital posting.
Pros
Cons
90 days new hires policy
A dynamite place to work
Wound Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 2, 2016
This is a great place with really caring people. I have experience only caring from the Administration and help getting what I need
Pros
Administration
Cons
unknown
Nice place to work at
Emergency Room Admissions Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Good Benefits.
Hard to take breaks and lunches on busy days.
Not that much room to grow, unless you're a nurse or dr.
It is very rewarding when you're thanked by patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Hills Hospital and Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

West Hills Hospital and Medical Center Reviews by Location