West Houston Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Active ER
Respiratory Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Typically very busy days. I did two semesters of clinicals at this location. One on general floors and the other with ICU rotation. I enjoyed being able to actively participate in codes and run to rapid responses throughout the hospital. I enjoyed seeing the CEO routinely walk throughout the hospital to employees and patients.
Excellent work environment
Full Time IMCU Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2015
I enjoy working as an RN at WHMC. Friendly staff, dedicated health care professionals, and quality patient care is what WHMC is all about.
Complex variety of procedures and staff
Lead Cath Lab Tech III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Many staff members and procedures to keep busy. The most enjoyable part of my days were working alongside the physicians. Education was a big key to this workplace.
OK place to work
OR Buyer/Materials Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2015
Very diverse hospital; managment is not as good as it should be; too much overtime; not enough staff; pay is below average for this area
Cons
short breaks and lunch; too much OT
Lead Biller& Coder- In-Patient (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2015
This is a big hospital the staff is great and are willing to teach you any and everything new. I love coding and they made it very fun and you wanted to get up and go in to work
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
no over time
Fun place to work.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2015
Good place to work and have fun as well. The staff is very friendly and get the job done right. When it gets busy at times, the staff will work together to make sure all the work is done.
A good place to work.
Medical Staff Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2015
This is a good place to work. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The work environment is based on team work as well as being able to work independently.
suppportive in your educational background
phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  houston, txMay 4, 2015
staff there are to do their jobs efficiently. Some are friendly and some can relay step on your feet. Everyone are on point, when it comes to communication between different departments. Directors, supervisors, COO are attentive to your personal needs. HR has recently enforced their tardy/ absenteeism to the point as if you are held in prison. For example, they count your tardy for every second you talk in late. These points are tallied up (7 points) which they can terminate you over it, no matter what the circumstances are. Even if its an excused absence wither your sick with a doc note, or if a cop were to pull you over, HR will hold you accountable and can terminate you over it. Its nerve wrecking. Overall staff are nice to their patients, and they support you from education, to personal background. I would recommend it only to those who tolerate pressure, criticism, and have strong medical knowledge.
Cons
termination under 7 tardies for over a year
Staff RN, Newborn Nursery/NICU Level II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2015
WHMC is a good place to work. The work environment is safe and diverse. Working with patients provides much job satisfaction.
Pros
self scheduling
Very stress free work environment with skilled workers.
Volunteer Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2014
Very stress free work environment with skilled workers and very good supervisors.
Good techs
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2014
I interned here for a short while and the techs here are very good at their jobs. I learned how to perform a paracentesis, a thoracentesis, and multiply abdominal and superficial scans. Some of the employees are nice but not all of them are.
Great job opportunity and a small taste of the medical field
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Houston,TXOctober 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be clocking in and assisting a patient that has signed in right away. The appointment type can vary from a mammogram to an appointment with pre-admit testing. The time frame that we should register a patient is from 15-30 minutes or it can depend on the appointment type.
For example; mammograms,x-rays, and blood work should only take no more than 10 minutes. I'll explain why, so now let me walk you through a basic registration.
A patient is registered through chronological order in the time they sign in. Once a registrar becomes available they can head to the greeter and notify them," Hey, I'm ready for a patient." Once a patient is sent to your desk you greet the patient and ask for their I.D and insurance card (if the patient has health insurance) and begin the registration. I learned how to to use a medical software called MediTech which is a series of categories such as inpatients, outpatients, etc. It's also a questionnaire, I'd compare it to a written application for basic information of the patient.
As I'm reaching the end of the patient's account, I note the account of certain things that occurred throughout the time in registration; the amount of money that was collected or the arrangement if the patient is not able to pay full amount due, the items that were provided and scanned in our scanning system. After noting the account labels are printed out and also forms that will be signed by patient and registrar.
Paperwork is scanned in filed in a designated area and the patient is sent to the correct department for scheduled appointment.
I'd
  more... have to say the most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting funny people and laughing throughout registration.
The hardest thing i was very concerned about was verifying insurance and putting an armband on a patient. Making sure it doesn't get stuck to the patients skin.
Pros
quick start to the medical field
Cons
30 minute lunch, to have a day off you must give ask for it 30 days in advance
productive
Graduate Nurse Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2014
The nursing internship was a learning experience but unorganized regarding pay
good
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  EndoscopySeptember 23, 2014
Small hospital. Not fare from home,good friends and physician most of them friendly.
Pros
small hospital
Cons
insurance
West Houston
Cardiovascular IR Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasSeptember 16, 2014
I am disappointed in the whole experience at West Houston. I was promised advancement opportunities but the person who made that promise moved to a different department leaving me to a person who did not care for me personally and would not allow me the time to train so that I could become great at my job.
West houston
RN-EMERGENCY SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2014
5 Stars on all of the above. Excellent place to work
Love the staff and the management
Pros
work ethic
A day as a charge
Lead Respiratory Therapist III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2014
Clock in at 6 am, start to check future orders and start dividing assignments for the 12 hr shift. Take report from night shift and go on round assessing each patient in ICU. Once initial evaluation is done do rounds with the Intensivist to give them update and changes made to the patients.
Great work atmospher inside the hospital with diversity and proffesionalism. Great security team and training programs through out the hospital.
Yale Enforcement Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2014
West Houston Medical Center is a great training ground for all types of proffesionals in a diverse enviornment. The benefits, employees, location, and training programs are outstanding.
learned a lot working there
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2013
Working there taught me how to commicate with different ethnical groups of people. I learn that althought we are all different we are still the same when it comes to health care. We worked as a team and we had fun doing it.
Wonderful Place to Work
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2013
Its a wonderful place to Work. All colleagues work together in a team to get the job done. The Respiratory Manager just doesn't go to work for a paycheck, he understands RTs and works with you in any issue you might have!
Pros
respiratory manager is awesome, faculty, free lunch rewards
Cons
dont take advantage of staff or manager