West Jefferson Medical Center Employee Reviews

The Family Birth Place has a wonderful staff to work with and the night shift has a team mentality.
Registered Nurse, Labor and Delivery (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAMay 14, 2014
The typical work day (night shift) is generally a little short staffed with no real management support. I enjoy the management and care of our patients whether high risk or the normal laboring patient. I am one of the night charge nurses as well as preceptors. We have four seasoned experience labor and delivery nurses and six mixed of new graduate nurses and new to labor and delivery nurses; so their is always teaching and guidance needed on my part. The labor and delivery department is essentially the obstetrical emergency department for pregnancies over 20 weeks gestation. We generally have two RNs on duty and one surgical scrub tech and we have a steady flow of patients during the night. We have the capacity to contain up to 17 patients on fetal monitors. I wish that this department utilized more evidence based practice in the policies and procedures and protocols. Our department director and assistant director started a year ago and neither had a background in maternal-child nursing. This makes getting new protocols and policies slow to incorporate.
Pros
good pay and healthcare benefits, great coworkers
Cons
no management back up on night shift when the unit get very busy, organization does not pay for any ceritifications or tuition reimbursment any longer.
My Typical Day At Work
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAAugust 12, 2014
I typically start my work day off by arriving at work early and prepping by getting everything I need in order to have a successful work day. I then, check my assignments to see where I'm placed for work, and then receive report from a coworker so that I can navigate around what has happened prior to the start of my shift. I'm big on planning, staying organized and practicing time management skills. Since I'm the communicator with nurses, doctors and all other staff, it's vital that I interact professionally, and positively with my coworkers. The hardest part about my job, is that sometimes, situations may arise which would force me to post-pone a few job duties in order to solve problems. However, I always get caught back up and continue with my daily duties. I just so happen to have been blessed with some amazing coworkers who are great to work with and we try our best to make work enjoyable.
Pros
building a great repertoire with patients and coworkers.
Cons
short lunch breaks.
Loved my job and the people I worked with and worked for. Really made me feel like I was making a difference. It was very rewarding.
Central Sterilization Technician (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJanuary 7, 2014
I worked a mid-shift, 3:00pm to 11:30pm, worked a lot of overtime. I learned a lot. After doing accounting for over 25 years, I was ready for a change and I was given the opportunity of a lifetime to learn new things and meet new people. It was a sad moment that I had to leave for personal reasons. I enjoyed every part of everything I did. It was rewarding in ways that are completely unexplainable. I did a lot of online testing in which I received "Certificates of Completion". I was looking forward to learning much more and I would still love to learn much more regarding the medical field and what I was doing on a day to day basis.
Pros
very good insurance benefits (health, dental, vision, prescription discounts, employee discounts, 403b retirement) etc.
Cons
cannot think of any.
Family Oriented Place to Work
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAJuly 21, 2014
A typical day at work is filled with something different everyday. Candidates and Employees are seen all throughout the day. Non-stop action all the time which keeps me on my toes and busy at all times. I enjoy helping people the way I wish to be assisted when I need help. I provide my full attention to the person in need of my assistance.

Management is at its best at this present day and time. My co-workers (team players) are the best group of workers anyone could ever work with. We are like one big happy family and work very well together.

The hardest part of my job is when it is time to leave for the day and there is still work left to be done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I know that I was able to make a difference in helping someone along the way.
Pros
conveniently located
Cons
n/a
Ilove to work around staff and patience in a hospital setting.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAMay 17, 2014
Working in Kitchen, Making repairs needed to keep the hospital in top shape. I learned to work with verity of people that enter the facilities. Management is all ways finding ways to help us with Policy and Procedures of the hospital and they are great when you have questions that no one else can answer. Co-workers have taught me things that was needed to perform other parts of the jobs that wasn't sure of also taught them skills of the Electrical position that was needed for them to complete jobs on a daily basis. When family enter hospital for sickness and having to deal with it on a daily basis while there. I love working with all personal and work on training from others and teaching others about jobs they don't know.
Pros
benifits
Cons
people who are sick that never come out of the hospital.i feel sad for there families.
Overall Expirence: West Jefferson Hospital
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LADecember 5, 2014
My overall expirence for West Jefferson Hospital is that it was a pretty good place to work at. It wasn't the best or it was so great to were it was absolutely perfect, but it was good, I made many of friends, received respect (giving in return), and was award many things due to my accomplishments. I have learned how to be very patient and not to let my anger spoil me. The most enjoyable part about volunteering or working at West Jefferson Medical Center is break (eating lunch). The worst part about working at the hospital is having to wait to be told what to do and picking up boxes. I wish their pace was a little faster. My management was well paced--"faster than other", said the president of the Junior Volunteer Program.
Pros
eating lunch and having breaks
Cons
waiting for assignments and picking up boxes.
Poor
Medical Imaging (Current Employee) –  outpatient clinicSeptember 25, 2015
The management at this facility is incompetent to say the least. From the CEO all the way down to the supervisors in the clinics. No clear sense of direction anywhere. The pay raises are between 15 and 30 cents per hour every year. You get rewarded for nothing. There is no motivation to do anything better than status quo. This is by far the worst hospital in the region. Its outdated with outdated equipment as well. My advice would be to look elsewhere. I would give it zero stars if I could.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
Poor production place to work at
Patient Represenative/Claim Processor (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAAugust 4, 2012
To be employed at West Jefferson Medical Center is a sgtruggle each and everyday. Management is very poor when it comes to knowledge of job duties. Most employees do a lot of nothing depending on their lead supervisor and/or manager. It could be the best place to go when medical emergencies do arrive, but until someone investigate the real true story of what is going on behind the closed curtains, this facility will always be marked as the "dungeon".
Pros
work hours for the billing department
Cons
flex schedules are assigned
West Jefferson is A Great Place to work if you know someone who works there!!
UNIT ASSISTANT ON SURGICAL UNIT (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJune 7, 2012
Worked closely with doctors and nurses to assist with patients before and after surgery.
Administered care plans, assisted with unit paperwork, filing, and supervision of the unit’s census
in conjunction with the Clinical Director.
Coordinated patient care with multiple hospital units and departments.
Used and maintained medical equipment and supplies used in patient care.
Pros
2 weeks paid vacation after first year.
Cons
smoke free, short lunches, not enough recongition
It was a wonderful experience
CNA (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 18, 2014
A typical day at work entering the ER was exciting. Never a dull moment. I've learned so much such as EKG's, doing Foleys, temporary casts and other tasks that was needed to help patients.
Management was alright at times but can improve.
Co-workers was helpful. The hardest part about the job is when staff is short that makes the job more challenging.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that knowing that I was a part on making the patients stay pleasant.
Ok if you have only a high school diploma or ged
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAFebruary 23, 2015
Ok environment. The other clerks are extremely lazy and push their work off on you. The management knows that it's happening and doesn't do anything after complaints are mafe. The pay is terrible but if you need a easy job to get by this may suffice!
Pros
12 hrs shifts 3 to 4 days/wk
Cons
short breaks, lazy coworkers, the buddy system
Productive and I enjoyed working with my coworkers.
Data Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work would be relaxing, fun and productive. I learned how to do analysis and re-analysis and prep charts. My coworkers was easy to get along with and we worked well together as a team. The hardest part of the job I would say the hours because my work hours were from 5 a.m to 1:30 p.m.The most enjoyable part of the job was I was able to learn and take on new tasks.
I LOVE my job!!!!!
Staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Marrero, laJanuary 8, 2013
Current employee on med/surg unit and I LOVE it! 5 patient/nurse ratio. You actually get time to do the small things for your patients that you can't with a 7 patient load! I love all of my co workers. I've worked for other hospitals and this by far is the best hospital I've worked! I will be here for many years!
Pros
co workers, health benefits
Cons
i can not think of any
Was at one time a nice place to work
Lead Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LASeptember 13, 2015
West Jefferson Hospital is going downhill. It seems that they are having financial problems and are leasing off part of the hospital. They seem to have no interest in the parts of the establishment they lease off. They don't care how the employee who were once West Jefferson employee before being leased to another company are being treated.
Pros
Cons
not concerned about employees
Was one of the first jobs after graduation.
xray lab staff tech (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAApril 29, 2015
I excelled in the work environment, enjoyed the every day grind just to get thru the fluoro schedule. I learned about using different xray machines, calculating techniques and became fluent enough to speak French to the older patients.
Pros
Very busy days made for exciting work days.
Cons
Still using manual processing at first.
a typical hospital
floor nurse (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAAugust 27, 2014
Working med surg area a nurse learns alot i.e. chest tubes, IVs, lab draws, telemetry, etc.
Co workers are usually to busy with their 7 plus patients to really assist others.
Team review was good to do, because you learn from others.
I enjoyed it, but not the long hours at times.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LADecember 6, 2012
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART ABOUT MY JOB IS GETTING TO KNOW AND BUILD RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE PATIENTS AND FAMILY MEMBERS.
THE HARDEST PART IS HAVING SUPERVISORS AND DIRECTORS WHO TALK TO THEIR EMPLOEES LIKE THEY ARE CHILDREN AND NOTHING IS SAID..
Pros
working with patients, getting to know them..
Cons
no breaks, supervisors who don't know how to communicate with employees/ talk down on employees
Was a ok job..
Patient Care Tech (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJune 29, 2015
I like work here cause it was close to my home. When it came to help from the nurses I would rate it as poor. I didn't like the fact that if u get sick and cant come to work, those days count against you and u will lose your job.
no chance of advancement, management issues
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJuly 2, 2014
Management doesn't care about their employees or show their appreciation. Telemetry unit is more of a dumping unit of med-surg patients. Between admits & discharges you may take care of 8-9 pts a day!
Pros
the coworkers on my unit are team players
Cons
low pay, no advancement, no appreciation
Collecting and labeling vials.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJune 1, 2015
I work as the ER phlebotomist everyday. Transported specimen to the lab. I hardest part was keeping my ER timing under 30 minutes.
Most enjoyable part was working with my co workers in ER.
Pros
The location of the job was less then 10 minutes from my house
Cons
short staff