West Jefferson Medical Center Employee Reviews

Staff Nurse,Hospice and Home Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  NarreoApril 19, 2016
This was my first job and where I acquire all of my nursing experience here. I was employed at WJMC for 30 plus years. While employed at WJMC I worked in various areas eg. Med. surg, Orthopedics. Peds., OB; Recovery; Same Day Surgery, ICU, CCU, SCU : Burn Units and Home Health/Hospice..

I worked with very many professional and knowledgeable co -workers. The doctors were always willing to educate the staff on different procedures and test that were being done.

The hardest part of the job was not knowing if there would be enough coverage scheduled for your shift or if your relief would be on time.

The most enjoyable part was providing care for patient and relationships developed.
Pros
Areas for advancement, training, great benefits
Cons
Poor staffing
Great Teamwork
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJanuary 2, 2017
Very physical job. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with! I made wonderful friends and connections at West Jeff. I learned proper techniques for moving patients safely. Management was understanding and fair.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Poor
Medical Imaging (Current Employee) –  outpatient clinicSeptember 25, 2015
The management at this facility is incompetent to say the least. From the CEO all the way down to the supervisors in the clinics. No clear sense of direction anywhere. The pay raises are between 15 and 30 cents per hour every year. You get rewarded for nothing. There is no motivation to do anything better than status quo. This is by far the worst hospital in the region. Its outdated with outdated equipment as well. My advice would be to look elsewhere. I would give it zero stars if I could.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
I Recomend this place to people that want a level entry work!
ER Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LASeptember 7, 2016
This job is rewarding in its own way, the management can be a handful sometimes, coworkers are good and caring, and the hospital is a family environment.
Ilove to work around staff and patience in a hospital setting.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAMay 17, 2014
Working in Kitchen, Making repairs needed to keep the hospital in top shape. I learned to work with verity of people that enter the facilities. Management is all ways finding ways to help us with Policy and Procedures of the hospital and they are great when you have questions that no one else can answer. Co-workers have taught me things that was needed to perform other parts of the jobs that wasn't sure of also taught them skills of the Electrical position that was needed for them to complete jobs on a daily basis. When family enter hospital for sickness and having to deal with it on a daily basis while there. I love working with all personal and work on training from others and teaching others about jobs they don't know.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
People who are sick that never come out of the hospital.I feel sad for there families.
Loved my job and the people I worked with and worked for. Really made me feel like I was making a difference. It was very rewarding.
Central Sterilization Technician (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJanuary 7, 2014
I worked a mid-shift, 3:00pm to 11:30pm, worked a lot of overtime. I learned a lot. After doing accounting for over 25 years, I was ready for a change and I was given the opportunity of a lifetime to learn new things and meet new people. It was a sad moment that I had to leave for personal reasons. I enjoyed every part of everything I did. It was rewarding in ways that are completely unexplainable. I did a lot of online testing in which I received "Certificates of Completion". I was looking forward to learning much more and I would still love to learn much more regarding the medical field and what I was doing on a day to day basis.
Pros
Very good insurance benefits (health, dental, vision, prescription discounts, employee discounts, 403B retirement) etc.
Cons
Cannot think of any.
great place to work
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 2, 2016
I loved my time at West Jefferson. The people and management are very encouraging and supportive. The environment is one that encourages growth and learning.
The Family Birth Place has a wonderful staff to work with and the night shift has a team mentality.
Registered Nurse, Labor and Delivery (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAMay 14, 2014
The typical work day (night shift) is generally a little short staffed with no real management support. I enjoy the management and care of our patients whether high risk or the normal laboring patient. I am one of the night charge nurses as well as preceptors. We have four seasoned experience labor and delivery nurses and six mixed of new graduate nurses and new to labor and delivery nurses; so their is always teaching and guidance needed on my part. The labor and delivery department is essentially the obstetrical emergency department for pregnancies over 20 weeks gestation. We generally have two RNs on duty and one surgical scrub tech and we have a steady flow of patients during the night. We have the capacity to contain up to 17 patients on fetal monitors. I wish that this department utilized more evidence based practice in the policies and procedures and protocols. Our department director and assistant director started a year ago and neither had a background in maternal-child nursing. This makes getting new protocols and policies slow to incorporate.
Pros
Good pay and healthcare benefits, great coworkers
Cons
No management back up on night shift when the unit get very busy, organization does not pay for any ceritifications or tuition reimbursment any longer.
I LOVE my job!!!!!
Staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Marrero, laJanuary 8, 2013
Current employee on med/surg unit and I LOVE it! 5 patient/nurse ratio. You actually get time to do the small things for your patients that you can't with a 7 patient load! I love all of my co workers. I've worked for other hospitals and this by far is the best hospital I've worked! I will be here for many years!
Pros
co workers, health benefits
Cons
i can not think of any
97% of the patients are very nice
PAS (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAFebruary 22, 2015
I love working with the patient ,they turn a bad day into a good day.
The benefits are good ,the hours I work ,goes good with my school schedule.
Pros
Meet nice people
Cons
Employee run the department, no mangers
West Jefferson Medical Center
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LANovember 29, 2014
In the short time that I've worked at WJMC I have learned a lot.
Pros
Employee discount on breakfast and lunch.
Cons
Competitive salary.
wonderful
LPN (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 25, 2014
great management
great co-workers
great benefits
competitive pay
Good Place to work overall
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 29, 2012
I enjoyed working at wjmc. They are not the best paying medical center but they are known for hiring newly graduates
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
medical benefits, low pay
Overall Expirence: West Jefferson Hospital
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LADecember 5, 2014
My overall expirence for West Jefferson Hospital is that it was a pretty good place to work at. It wasn't the best or it was so great to were it was absolutely perfect, but it was good, I made many of friends, received respect (giving in return), and was award many things due to my accomplishments. I have learned how to be very patient and not to let my anger spoil me. The most enjoyable part about volunteering or working at West Jefferson Medical Center is break (eating lunch). The worst part about working at the hospital is having to wait to be told what to do and picking up boxes. I wish their pace was a little faster. My management was well paced--"faster than other", said the president of the Junior Volunteer Program.
Pros
Eating lunch and having breaks
Cons
Waiting for assignments and picking up boxes.
Family Oriented Place to Work
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAJuly 21, 2014
A typical day at work is filled with something different everyday. Candidates and Employees are seen all throughout the day. Non-stop action all the time which keeps me on my toes and busy at all times. I enjoy helping people the way I wish to be assisted when I need help. I provide my full attention to the person in need of my assistance.

Management is at its best at this present day and time. My co-workers (team players) are the best group of workers anyone could ever work with. We are like one big happy family and work very well together.

The hardest part of my job is when it is time to leave for the day and there is still work left to be done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I know that I was able to make a difference in helping someone along the way.
Pros
Conveniently located
Cons
n/a
hated it
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAFebruary 5, 2016
My coworkers were lazy and did not take pride in the job. I did not get along with them. They talked behind everyones back and were hateful people.
My Typical Day At Work
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LAAugust 12, 2014
I typically start my work day off by arriving at work early and prepping by getting everything I need in order to have a successful work day. I then, check my assignments to see where I'm placed for work, and then receive report from a coworker so that I can navigate around what has happened prior to the start of my shift. I'm big on planning, staying organized and practicing time management skills. Since I'm the communicator with nurses, doctors and all other staff, it's vital that I interact professionally, and positively with my coworkers. The hardest part about my job, is that sometimes, situations may arise which would force me to post-pone a few job duties in order to solve problems. However, I always get caught back up and continue with my daily duties. I just so happen to have been blessed with some amazing coworkers who are great to work with and we try our best to make work enjoyable.
Pros
Building a great repertoire with patients and coworkers.
Cons
Short lunch breaks.
Poor production place to work at
Patient Represenative/Claim Processor (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAAugust 4, 2012
To be employed at West Jefferson Medical Center is a sgtruggle each and everyday. Management is very poor when it comes to knowledge of job duties. Most employees do a lot of nothing depending on their lead supervisor and/or manager. It could be the best place to go when medical emergencies do arrive, but until someone investigate the real true story of what is going on behind the closed curtains, this facility will always be marked as the "dungeon".
Pros
work hours for the billing department
Cons
flex schedules are assigned
no chance of advancement, management issues
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LAJuly 2, 2014
Management doesn't care about their employees or show their appreciation. Telemetry unit is more of a dumping unit of med-surg patients. Between admits & discharges you may take care of 8-9 pts a day!
Pros
the coworkers on my unit are team players
Cons
low pay, no advancement, no appreciation
Was at one time a nice place to work
Lead Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Marrero, LASeptember 13, 2015
West Jefferson Hospital is going downhill. It seems that they are having financial problems and are leasing off part of the hospital. They seem to have no interest in the parts of the establishment they lease off. They don't care how the employee who were once West Jefferson employee before being leased to another company are being treated.
Pros
Cons
not concerned about employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Jefferson Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

West Jefferson Medical Center Reviews by Location