West Marine Employee Reviews

Great employees, great industry, great experience
Maintenance Sales Lead / Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 5, 2015
Fun workplace with the opportunity to meet new clients and talk about our shared interest. A lot is expected for little pay, though.
Great place to work If you don't have an outside life
picker (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCJuly 29, 2015
Cons: short breaks long hours 16+
I love the place and the people just not the time to go in and the hours... Your by yourself most of the day.
you don't leave till the job is done and you go in around 2:30 am and wont get off till after 6pm.
ok company
Processor (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCJuly 22, 2015
its ok friendly people needs to have better communication
think everyone should play the team player role.great place to work if you are just starting out in the warehouse field but not for advancement
Low stress, fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Fun, low stress job with decent benefits
Cons: slow in winter, layoffs and hours cutback
Low stress environment with low turnover, Most employees enjoy working for West Marine and have long tenures. Its a fun place to work and customers are there to enjoy their hobby of boating and water sports. Learned that your attitude will translate to your employees and your customers. Best part of the job is helping customers and every day is different. Hardest part is the seasonality of the business. It can really slow down in the winter depending on the location.
Poor Scheduling
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Annapolis, MDJune 18, 2015
Pros: Quality Discounts
Cons: Everything Else
Management didn't seem to understand that i had school during the week and had tests frequently, as they would constantly schedule me for times that I said I simply could not work. Co-workers were not the nicest, management in certain aspects was poor, compensation was poor, but had some quality discounts, and the hardest part was that management would not understand when I could work, while the most enjoyable part was when I could finally clock out for the day.
Really exciting atomsphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Newport Beach, CA.June 15, 2015
Pros: Newport Beach
Cons: low pay
One of the largest flagship West Marine stores in the country so parts in inventory were always available. Excellent teamwork and coworkers that worked hard.
A great place to work if you like to develop relationships and have fun
Soft Goods Lead (Current Employee), Cape Coral, FLJune 10, 2015
Pros: Fun workers, great associate discounts
Cons: No benefits if your not considered full-time, no discipline
At West Marine, you deal with all kinds of people. People who live on boats, people who live on islands, people who fish for a living, etc., You get the point. A typical day at work, you deal with angry people because your store doesn't have something in stock right away and you have to order it for them. West Marine doesn't do a good job at equally distributing products in demanding places. They favor the 'flagship' stores, or the bigger stores, and starve the smaller stores. Working at West Marine, I've learned a lot about the boating life and boating in general. In the past two years, I've met some awesome people and have developed lifelong friendships. The hardest part of my job must be catching the thieves, honestly, because we do have a lot of that. My store, in particular, is in a more poor part of town and people will steal what they can for a dollar. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to socialize with all kinds of people and talking to my coworkers throughout the day.
Fun place to work, great management, and great co-workers
Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FlJune 3, 2015
Pros: Great management and great co-workers
Cons: Breaks were sometimes short
A typical day working at West Marine was great. I got to help customer, answer phones, and be a cashier. My co-workers and myself would always make work fun. I learned a lot while working there. I learned about throtle cable which is an important part for the motors. I also learned a lot about GPS and handheld GPS. The management was great was very flexible when it came to my school. Was great to get along with and helped me when I didn't understand something. The co-worers I had were outstanding. They were funny and fun, there was rarely a dull moment. The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out how the cash register worked and how to put things into the inventory electronically. But, all in all having to deal with stuff about boats and water crafts was what made me happy. I love learning new things about the water crafts and the motors. I would say that it was a great place to workI truly enjoyed it.
Delivery driver
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLMay 31, 2015
Pros: My customers are great.Fun job.
Cons: Short hours.Poor management.
Deliver wholesale marine productsLoad and go.Heavy customer service.Some sales involved.Maintain vehicle.Management is awful.Too much micro management.
Typical Warehouse
Shipping Team Leader (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCMay 22, 2015
busy times are spring/summer.
slow times are during winter.
IF you like overtime this is the place for you during the busy season.
Productive job
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCMay 20, 2015
The day of work was good. A very fast placed job where a lot of production to get done. Management was average, but overall good work experience.
Good atmosphere
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCMay 13, 2015
West marine is a family oriented company that care about their workers. There are individuals that keep the company together and well organized.
Contractor
Classification Specialist (Former Employee), Watsonville, CAApril 17, 2015
Great company, but only a contractor. Was not able to relocate at the time. Would like to work for them again if given the chance.
Questionable management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 13, 2015
Pros: Lax Environment, friendly customers
Cons: Unreliable management
My store manager had the tendency of calling out, forcing me to open and close the store by myself, especially on Saturdays. At the time there were only four employees and on Saturdays, only the manager and I worked. I quit after the fourth or fifth time.I did enjoy the customers that came through the store.
job
Selector (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCApril 8, 2015
durning peak season you will be worked 18 hrs a day and some sat that is as a temp, full time wroers will be 8 to 12 hrs and when get rolled over from temp will be tried to keep you under 40 hrs and wont have you no raise in pay whe rolled over,
Always kept me on my toes and always was a learning experience.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Tracy's Landing, Deale, MdMarch 24, 2015
A typical day for me was to open the store, setup for the day for other co-workers and customers. Always opened with a smile and good mood. The most enjoyable part of my job was my customers/ members and the relationships that I had developed. My co-workers were also another enjoyable part of my job.
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 14, 2015
As a college student with extensive boating background, West Marine has been a pleasure to work for over the years as I made my way through college. They are flexible with my ever changing schedule, but my store manager always tries to cater to all our student needs and ensure we both have the time we need to study, but the work hours necessary to be able to pay our bills. West marine is a fun company to work for if you have a passion for life on the water.
Great Atmosphere and Leadership!
General Manager (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTMarch 10, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere, company that cares, organized
Cons: lack of a market in the ne, minimum pay
A typical day at West Marine consisted of placing orders, reaching out to wholesale customers for more orders, settling conflicts and training my team. I can honestly say that West Marine actually cares about their employees and doesn't immediately look to cut payroll just to make ends meet, they look for other avenues and areas they can improve. While they expand into new product categories that the typical mariner wouldn't indulge in, they look to expand their horizons and bring in new customers with innovative displays and fun new products.

I can honestly say I truly enjoyed working at West Marine!
fun place to work / they usually don't pay well
Store Manager (Former Employee), Jensen Beach, FLMarch 5, 2015
Pros: 401, health
Cons: work nights
Get place to start in marine industry. Pay is hard to live on.Schedule flexible. It is a fun place to work and gain allot of product knowledge.
Great company to work for
Recieving Clerk (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCFebruary 20, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at West Marine. The management team was very helpful and offered positive feedback. Flexible schedule as well as management was very flexible with situations.