West Marine Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Over worked, under paid, under staffed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 17, 2017
Middle management does not help stores with what they need to succeed. Logistics is deplorable. The company continually overloads store with projects but never supplies enough payroll to accomplish them.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, payroll
Its West Marine
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CASeptember 14, 2017
Its a easy job, company is good to employees. Can get slow sometimes but its enjoyable working around people who actively like boating. The customers can be fun too, with good stories of the seas.
None.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MASeptember 13, 2017
West Marine is a typical retail job. Underpaid, understaffed, with no meaningful benefits. The hardest part about the job is finding something to do in the dead of winter.
Payment issues
AFA Lead/AFA Specialist (Current Employee) –  Braintree, MASeptember 11, 2017
They could pay me more.. I only make 12$ an hour and I'm in charge of almost half the store. Everyone there is really nice. The work is easy. Everything is great. Just the pay isn't worth it to me.
It was pretty good
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 9, 2017
I appreciated that the manager gave me a chance. He cut me a lot of slack as he was understanding of my struggles being a single parent. However, the place was caught in a natural disaster and he wasn't able to tell me fast enough for me to really find a job that fit my needs. I guess he didn't know what was going on either. I feel that I should've gotten a severance check. Though, they did pay me for a week that I was supposed to work that I could not work.
Pros
Challenging, some slow periods, lots of training
Cons
nobody knows whats going on ever
West Marine
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAAugust 28, 2017
West marine is a great company to work for and learn new techniques in the boating industry. I am happy that I had this opportunity to grow in the company and be a great sale associate.
Overall a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 25, 2017
I learned a fair amount about working in retail through my time at West Marine. From cashier stuff to inventory, I was taught by a helpful staff. The job got stressful at times however, and seeing as I don't know much about boats it was difficult to get used to the customers knowing more than me.
Great company for all of your boating needs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYAugust 3, 2017
Stock product, level shelves, interact with customers and listen to their needs, help customer's find what they are looking for and offer add on sales, have the customer walk away with a great shopping experience by offering the best customer service. I learned more about boats from my coworkers and management as they took the time to show me how certain parts work. Management was very knowledgeable. The hardest part was when it was not in season for boating and outdoor water activities as the store would be very slow and the days did drag a little but still found work to do throughout the store such as keeping a clean store. Most enjoyable part was interacting with customers and helping them find exactly what they were looking for.
Pros
Great store for boating goods
Cons
Slow when not in season
good store good people
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 3, 2017
The employees and most the customers are great to work with and work for. Some days can be a challenge but well worth it in the long run. If you like helping and guiding people this is a great job
Fun, crazy, West Marine has it all.
Apparel and Retail Specialist, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2017
It could be stressful while understaffed and expected to do things you weren't aware you'd be doing such as the visual merchandising in the street windows on Halsted and Division in Chicago nonetheless.
Flexible, flexible, flexible! They were so very flexible when I was ill, in the hospital, and on medical leave. Management could be a little better as well as the communication, but the flexibility while I was ill knocks everything else out of the way.
Pros
Short breaks when necessary, overtime, benefits, and more.
Cons
Poor management, sometimes short staffed, workload to high.
Fast Pace Work - Low Staffing
STORE SALES MANAGER/SALES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 26, 2017
Typical day at work involves being really short handed on staff due to payroll cut backs. I learned so much about water lifestyles, expanded my knowledge of products, Helped me grow as a manager and gave me great experience. The work culture is awesome, its all about the water and outdoor experiences, though working there I never had time to live that lifestyle myself, I just got to talk about it every day. Hardest part of my job was finding time, outside of helping customers, to train, coach, and holding associates accountable for their tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job was expanding my knowledge base, meeting new people, and learning different lifestyles.
Pros
Can relocate anywhere
Cons
short breaks, insufficient pay, not enough payroll to run the establishment
CSR/Order Mgmt Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJuly 26, 2017
I actually still work at West Marine part time. I love the people, the job, and the benefits but the pay is not very competitive. There is much more management than necessary in my opinion. In the past year some people were laid off and/or quit but haven't been replaced. The company was recently sold.
Pros
Food court, gym, great benefits.
Cons
Low pay.
productive, friendly work environment.
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 23, 2017
productive, friendly work environment, but must be willing to work two shifts regularly. especially during peak season. its really a good place to work, although pay could be better.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
hard work, low pay
management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJuly 23, 2017
I learned to correctly train someone. I was lead cashier. It was not very challenging. It did get fustrating when you are trying to train and a customer is upset. So then, you have to step in and figure out where the cashier was and get them in and out quickly.
Great coworkers with only occasional bad customers
Warwick 02886 - Cashier (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJuly 22, 2017
A typical day at work consists of communicating to different people as well as customers that come in weekly. I have learned what it is like to have a job and make sacrifices to my personal schedule due to work. My manager was extremely understanding and my coworkers were always friendly and eager to help. Despite the daily customer that would be rude to either me or one of my coworkers, the overall culture was friendly and comfortable. The hardest part of the job was answering questions about boating since I was not the most knowledgeable about boats. The best part of the job was having the opportunity to talk to contrasting people on a daily basis.
Pros
good employee discounts, friendly coworkers
Cons
understaffed, moody customers
Great Workplace
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 19, 2017
I have been at this job long enough to say it's a good warehouse job it's not bad at all I really enjoy working here I am very comfortable with the environment.
Pros
Good Breaks Good Supervisors Nice CoWorkers
Cons
Don't Know When Your Getting Off
Good environment, besides winter haven manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJuly 18, 2017
I loved working for this company, but I loathed my manager. He came off degrading towards women and slightly racist. He yelled at employees infront of customers and placed his workload on others. He was just unprofessional. His actions caused me to walk out, even though I loved my co-workers and had good hours.
Great fun place to work
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJuly 16, 2017
Room for advancement, fun place to work. Great benefits. Great management. great co-workers.
Very casual place to work.
One of the best places I've worked.
Pros
Cons
HR dept is lame
Ok. Not meant for long term
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 14, 2017
Corporate micromanages everything and doesn't pay peanuts. The discount was great now its just ok. No real possible way to advance yourself. You may have to drink the corporate kool aid if you want to move up.
It was great
SALES/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLJuly 13, 2017
I loved working at West Marine. It's too bad that I ended up with only one 8 hour shift every other week in the summer. I just wasn't enough to stay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Marine. Our community is ready to answer.