West Marine

West Marine Employer Reviews

Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 14, 2015
As a college student with extensive boating background, West Marine has been a pleasure to work for over the years as I made my way through college. They are flexible with my ever changing schedule, but my store manager always tries to cater to all our student needs and ensure we both have the time we need to study, but the work hours necessary to be able to pay our bills. West marine is a fun company to work for if you have a passion for life on the water.
Great Atmosphere and Leadership!
General Manager (Former Employee), South Burlington, VTMarch 10, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere, company that cares, organized
Cons: lack of a market in the ne, minimum pay
A typical day at West Marine consisted of placing orders, reaching out to wholesale customers for more orders, settling conflicts and training my team. I can honestly say that West Marine actually cares about their employees and doesn't immediately look to cut payroll just to make ends meet, they look for other avenues and areas they can improve. While they expand into new product categories that the typical mariner wouldn't indulge in, they look to expand their horizons and bring in new customers with innovative displays and fun new products.

I can honestly say I truly enjoyed working at West Marine!
fun place to work / they usually don't pay well
Store Manager (Former Employee), Jensen Beach, FLMarch 5, 2015
Pros: 401, health
Cons: work nights
Get place to start in marine industry. Pay is hard to live on.Schedule flexible. It is a fun place to work and gain allot of product knowledge.
Great company to work for
Recieving Clerk (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCFebruary 20, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at West Marine. The management team was very helpful and offered positive feedback. Flexible schedule as well as management was very flexible with situations.
Good Atmosphere But Little Pay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Branford, CTFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: atmosphere
Cons: pay
Good place to work with good people but there isn't any room to move up in the company without being a manager or higher. The customers you start to get to know and develop a bond with them.
Great work environment!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJanuary 26, 2015
The work environment and culture make working with this company great.
well organized
Casher/ Manager of Clothing Department (Current Employee), Fort Pierce, FLJanuary 21, 2015
hands on credit card application experience as well as cashier experience. customer service and returns. as well as truck and clothing clean up. also closing and counting registers at the end of the day.
Fun place for a summer job, not a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Glen BurnieJanuary 14, 2015
West Marine is a place that has a great work environment for people that love the water. Whether you're a sailor or a fisherman or a kayaker, there is something for you at WM. I have worked in 6 stores and the teams are great, if occasionally ill-managed. As a sales associate, your day to day is helping customers, stocking shelves, being at the cash register - typical retail stuff. The difference is that employees are expected to be knowledgeable about the material, which keeps each customer experience fun and exciting. The people who love to learn and can't stop training will excel here.
Sales and Service
AM 1 (Current Employee), Delray Beach FLJanuary 14, 2015
Listen observe ask and suggest needs of the customer. Order the right product for there needs. Expand the sale. Convert lookers into buyers.
Can be a fun place to work, business is tanking
Inventory Manager (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLNovember 16, 2014
Cons: low pay
Corporate leadership disconnected from local stores and leads only from above not considering local input.
the worst place I've ever worked at
Forklift Operator/Order Selector (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCNovember 4, 2014
Pros: choice to use pto time for christmas
Cons: below average pay for the type of work
get the things I need to do my job
how to voice pick use wearable scanners
not very friendly
many became friends
the long hours during the summer and short hours during the winter
making new friends and meeting new people
Enjoyable and a Good learning Experience
Cashier/Customer Service thru General Manager (Former Employee), Orange Park, FLOctober 29, 2014
Pros: fun place to work and learn many new things!
Cons: not much time for breaks or lunches, when busy.
I gained alot of experience in this job, as prior to working here, I was not very familiar with the Boating and recreation industry. The co-workers were pleasant and helpful to work with. The hardest part of
the job was having to tell customers that their needed product is back ordered. Satisfying the customers is why retail stores are in business! Go a step beyond and learn their names and they will know that you appreciate their business and will be repeat customers!
Great Job
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Grand Haven, MIOctober 7, 2014
I learned a great deal about retail here, and worked with some amazing co-workers, management, and customers.
Management doesn't get IT
Technical Lead (Current Employee), Watsonville, CAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: some good people to work with
Cons: bad management, low wages.
IT turns over every few years. Management creates their own problems and then blames IT for things IT has no input on. They don't pay well and expect unrealistic hours and overtime. Benefits are mediocre. Location is not awesome unless you live in the area.
Very laid back place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orange Beach, ALSeptember 12, 2014
This was a great job! The team was very laid back, they were also a bit older than I am..I feel like that was the best part though, I learned so much from them.
na
Store Manager (Former Employee), Hilton Head Island, SCSeptember 11, 2014
Store Manager position requiring a sales‐driven attitude, merchandising skills and associate development within a  progressive environment.
Great seasonal work
Assistant Management AM3 (Former Employee), Deltaville, VAAugust 31, 2014
West Marine is a great place to work for students looking for something to do in the summer time. Winter time is very lack and if you are full time you are lucky to get 30 hours a week. No fault on West Marine just the customers are not going boating if it's 20 degrees outside
steady
WCF Packer (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCAugust 7, 2014
Pros: long days
Cons: short days
Go in till work is done.
During peak Season you maintain a lot of hours
Experienced many parts for boating supplies.
Picker/Packer (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCAugust 5, 2014
I learned how to speed up my pace along with being very detailed in picking parts for orders.
comforable
Stocker (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCJuly 16, 2014
Pros: learn how to use diff scaning device
stock
place orders
easy
busy
keeping tack of inventory
fridays

1 2 3 4 5

About West Marine

West Marine has the goods to keep your boat shipshape. It is the nation's #1 boating supplies retailer, operating through some – Read more

West Marine Salaries