West Marine Employee Reviews

Excellent Company to Work For
Interim Store Manager/ Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 19, 2015
I have been working at West Marine for a little over two years now, and I have to say, it is the best company I have ever worked for. The pay and advancement is amazing if you work in a larger format store. The smaller stores pay less and there isn't much room for advancing, but the benefits are always great. Associate discounts are outstanding (best i've ever seen). Every team i've worked with has become like a family to me. The management is pushes you to grow and become more if you are willing and able, which is one of the things I love most about working here. I would (and have) recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Great pay, Great Benefits, Ability to advance
Cons
Hours get cut in the winter because it's a seasonal business
Retail with Boating knowledge
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJanuary 31, 2016
Not a bad company to work for. Very easy to advance in the company as they prefer to hire within their own staff to higher positions. Pay and benefits are fairly low for the time they expect you to work, but they stick by their employees and do not fire/lay off unless they absolutely have to.
Pros
Very good employee discount
Cons
Low Pay
Great Company
Sales Associate/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 28, 2016
West Marine is a great company to work with. lots of incentives, great benefits, nice people. They really do work as a team.
Pros
nice employee discount
Cons
you will spend your whole pay check at this great store
Fun place to work as it's Boating related, great people/employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport, RINovember 15, 2015
Great benefits, Associate discounts on marine supplies.
However, only a bill payer & definatly not a career. Head of Engine Parts Department. Enjoy customers, most of whom ask for me by name to help them.
Low stress, fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 19, 2015
Low stress environment with low turnover, Most employees enjoy working for West Marine and have long tenures. Its a fun place to work and customers are there to enjoy their hobby of boating and water sports. Learned that your attitude will translate to your employees and your customers. Best part of the job is helping customers and every day is different. Hardest part is the seasonality of the business. It can really slow down in the winter depending on the location.
Pros
Fun, low stress job with decent benefits
Cons
slow in winter, layoffs and hours cutback
Great job with great benefits
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 25, 2016
The job is basically a salesperson and everyone does a bit of everything in the store. As assistant manager you are in charge of the entire store when the manager is away.
Co-workers come and go as the only real benefit for working there is if you own a boat. Most employees are college aged or retired.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the constant policy changes
The easiest part is getting to know my customers and helping them with there projects.
Poor Scheduling
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 18, 2015
Management didn't seem to understand that i had school during the week and had tests frequently, as they would constantly schedule me for times that I said I simply could not work. Co-workers were not the nicest, management in certain aspects was poor, compensation was poor, but had some quality discounts, and the hardest part was that management would not understand when I could work, while the most enjoyable part was when I could finally clock out for the day.
Pros
Quality Discounts
Cons
Everything Else
Fun and positive work envionment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 16, 2016
It is a fun job with great people to work with. Working with people that have similar interests is always good. The best part of the job is that I get to deal with wake boards kayaks and fishing stuff all day. the hardest part is that it can be overwhelming, especially opening or closing when it is under staffed.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
low pay
If you love boating this is the job
Cashier, Retail, Customer-Service, Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 13, 2015
This job isn't anywhere I would recommend to anyone, it had low pay, low lunches, bad employee's and no time to eat. if you made any extra money than it never showed up on your paycheck and you couldn't get any decent raises on anything even if you tried
A great place to work if you like to develop relationships and have fun
Soft Goods Lead (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLJune 10, 2015
At West Marine, you deal with all kinds of people. People who live on boats, people who live on islands, people who fish for a living, etc., You get the point. A typical day at work, you deal with angry people because your store doesn't have something in stock right away and you have to order it for them. West Marine doesn't do a good job at equally distributing products in demanding places. They favor the 'flagship' stores, or the bigger stores, and starve the smaller stores. Working at West Marine, I've learned a lot about the boating life and boating in general. In the past two years, I've met some awesome people and have developed lifelong friendships. The hardest part of my job must be catching the thieves, honestly, because we do have a lot of that. My store, in particular, is in a more poor part of town and people will steal what they can for a dollar. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to socialize with all kinds of people and talking to my coworkers throughout the day.
Pros
Fun workers, great associate discounts
Cons
No benefits if your not considered full-time, no discipline
used to be a fun place to work
support (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCDecember 29, 2015
Management doesn't really care about the employees who have been there for years. they take advantage of you. when you do a good job they don't say anything, but mess up one time & you will never hear the end of it. tenure doesn't mean anything to them. communication between management & employees is bad.
Pros
good employee discount
Cons
Management, not a career minded company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 19, 2016
While West Marine may get very hectic it offers an amazing place to work. A typical day at work is great simply because West Marine makes sure that their employees delivers outstanding service to each and everyone of their customers.
Fast Paced
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 11, 2016
Enjoyed my time there and worked well with management and associates. Not much room for advancement in the company,. However, relocation is available
customer oriented
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at this job as very hectic. I never let it get to me. I fell like the managers could have been more hands on. Other than that this job was a good job and it have numerous benefits.
Great hours and pay
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLJuly 7, 2016
The owner is very fair at distributing hours and compensation, however, it is a family owned business and unfortunately, a lot of drama always ensued.
Pros
Good hours and pay
Cons
Family drama
A pretty good company to work for. Overall, good managers provide pleasant environment
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 20, 2013
Typical day at work started with me opening the store, taking care of setting up- lights, power to displays. Clock in and get registers started, and loaded with cash from safe. Open outside doors and help customers. If special projects were on the schedule, performed them. Later in day, cleaned, fronted & faced merchandise, performed closing operations, money back in safe and locked store. Made daily deposit to bank.

Management was overall, excellent. Most people were easy to deal with and meeting their expectations was not hard. Hardest part of the job was mastering some difficult POS procedures implimented by new software and computer machiner.

Most enjoyable part of job was that your good customers remembered you and returned repeatedly to do business with you, personally.
Pros
as a boat owner, i enjoyed good discounts on marine goods.
Cons
raises were few and far between, although was room for promotion
Good Company to Work for
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 26, 2016
Company is positioned to minimize it's seasonal sales trends. Adding new products to set itself up as a Water Life Outfitter will bring more opportunities to all associates.
Great first work experience
Cashier/ Inventory (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLMay 23, 2016
Great first work experience, became knowledgeable in sales and how to upsell. Learned about inventory and to order of out store products.
Pros
great experience
Cons
short breaks, health care
not a very professional work place
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 6, 2016
Would not recommend this company to anyone. Has good discounts. Bad handling of store operations and stocking. bad management of employees.
Pros
discounts
Cons
bad hours
Great work place for people that love to help those who also love marine life
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 6, 2016
I helped in will call, making orders possible for others, contacting others if they needed assistance with marine related questions etc. Great workplace
Pros
Friendly, Easy
Cons
nothing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Marine. Our community is ready to answer.