West Penn Allegheny Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging workplace with a lot of obstacles and not a lot of optimism
Outpatient Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 26, 2015
Pros
Application of education
Hardworking co-workers
Cons
Needed more continuing ed
Constant change in management
There was no work life balance
Pros
application of education, hardworking coworkers
Cons
lack of breaks, lack of ergonomic cubicals, constant change in management even at the corporate level, there was no work/life balance
great place
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 6, 2016
great place to work and learn new thingsfrefhuerahvugehrbvuherahvhebrafhreabgveruvhbjhfvbhvjvfrfrejjfrhbjvbhfvb vfb vfvfbfjfjfjfvjnvfjhfjkreeehrejferjfrejjkvvgkltggnj
summary
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2016
this was just an internship. my advisory was very knowledgeable and flexible.this was at a time where west penn was rebuilding themselves so it was interesting to see
Great experience
Nurses Aid and Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 7, 2016
West Penn Hospital is a very positive working environment and staff members highly valued patients quality of care. My co-workers and team members were extremely pleasant to work with and I enjoyed my experiences there.
Nurses stressed!!!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 28, 2013
Poor staffing grids! Poor moral among the staff and management doesn't care. Constant adding of responsibilities to nursing staff with minimal to no training and no support staff. No accountability held by management. Not enough support staff. Education department is a joke.
Patient safety concerns.
Was always stressed out before work, during work and after work!
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
no lunches, no raises, false promises, poor management!
Overall this is a nice place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 22, 2012
With all the changes forth coming it will be exciting to see how this all plays out for the Health System.
There has been major changes in management over the years and job security is uncertain at this point in time.
I enjoy what I do here and have learned a lot from my immediate superiors. They are always willing to show employees new things
Cons
no job security at this point in time, no communication from sr. management, to large amount of consultants coming in and out.
The worst place to work
pulmonary department (Former Employee) –  ForbesSeptember 15, 2012
If you are looking for an unstable job with unqualified management, this is the right place for you! Overworked, favoritism, poor department morale! The "manager" is a complete joke and not at all qualified for the position. Therefore, the staff suffers greatly. Go 5 miles up the road for a stable and fun hospital.
Pros
highmark benefits
Cons
unstable work environment, lack of proper management, descrimination!
Poorly managed, no support from mgmt/administration
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAMarch 20, 2014
High stress levels, unit not staffed for acuity resulting in unsafe nurse-to-patient ratios. Education is a joke...the last educator quit months and months ago and was never replaced. No support from mgmt. Nurses are told to "deal with it". Constant added responsibilities/forms/etc. Paper charting (seriously) with more emphasis placed on documentation than pt care. Hostile mgmt. Awful morale and culture. The only nurses who stay are those that don't know any different. Revolving door. Minimal support staff, when they are provided, they're often inept/hostile.
Pros
3-12 hour shifts
Cons
culture, nurses not supported, emphasis on documentation over pt care, hostile mgmt
the Canonsburg experience/dont answer the exit survey they burn you.
RN (Former Employee) –  CANONSBURG HOSPITALMay 15, 2014
I actually loved my job, but morale was very low. after combining units team work with other unit was poor. supervisors were awesome, but upper management and HR were rarely involved. No accountability for things there. And scheduling was poor at best. it was too bad I liked the place.

Heads UP DO NOT ANSWER THE EXIT SURVEY, AFTER RESIGNING FOR A POSITION CLOSER TO HOME AND DAYLIGHT I WAS SENT AN EXIT SURVEY. THEY BANNED ME FROM WORKING AT WPHS FOR GIVING MY COMMENTS ON SOME REALLY BAD THINGS GOING ON THERE. I WENT FROM WE LOVE YOU TO NO WORK FOR YOU!!!
Pros
you can sleep on the job, play on your phone, and let people die and its okay
Cons
work schedule, no accoutablilty, and when brought to managements attention you are banned from working for the system.
The People you worked with were great despite their not being any training.
Compliance Auditor (Former Employee) –  2 Allegheny Center, Suite 100 Pittsburgh, PA 15212August 10, 2012
A typical day would be figuring out how to do my job with minimal training. Training was on your own for this position despite being told by management that they would train you. (Don't believe that is true). They are in the middle of a takeover with Highmark BCBS so they are unstable in their actions. They are lacking in policy and procedure. Most of the knowledge to perform this position was self taught. Managment does not give you any information to complete your job correctly. The hardest part of the job was knowing what the management wanted in their audit reports, as they have poor documentation examples to follow. How you wrote your audits may change in the course of writing the document. The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed to leave early during the holidays.
Pros
leaving early for holidays
Cons
managment does not know how to train up new employees
Solid historical company culture hit with difficult financial distress
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2014
WPAHS has a deep, solid history of hard working, caring, and compassionate professionals in the greater Pittsburgh area. The workforce was truly the salt of the earth. Regrettably, the finances had been mishandled for a number of years, causing great distress on the system. Fortunately, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield acquired WPAHS, infusing funding and structure. They are on their way back to success.
Pros
strong historical culture and dedicated work force
Cons
difficult financial distress
Great Employees
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  4 Allegheny CenterFebruary 4, 2015
listen to patients and help with patient statements and any issues they are experiencing. Management has their favorites and there is no opportunity to expand. Do a ton of work for little pay and no room for improvement.
Lack of leadership; poor training for new hires.
RRT (Current Employee) –  AGHFebruary 3, 2013
Discrimination against women. Male dominated dept. No advancement opportunities. Unsafe work loads and a manager / supervisors who do not work a full 40 hrs. Unsafe patient work loads, poor leadership, no advancement , male dominated dept. This is a very stressful place to work.
Pros
the co workers are nice, doing the best they can
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
An enjoyable work environment. Good employees to work with overall.
RN (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PANovember 28, 2012
I love what I do. There is no typical day at work. I work a variety of interesting and enjoyable jobs. In a week I might fill in for a school nurse, teach CPR, teach an after-school program (includes first aid, CPR, and sitter safety),and work for the physician in his practice.
Pros
love what i do, love the variety
Cons
no benefits for prn
Productive and part of a great TEAM. Love the one day per week work from home.
Allscripts Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2013
Most days are unpredictable in terms of what issues I will need to resolve for our clients but a typical day is essentially to assist with end-user support and in between work on medium size projects such as go-live implementations, new user builds in the system, and working with other groups with our newest API (Allscripts Practice Improvement) project.
The atmosphere is great starting with my leadership and lead Analysts who are always available to assist and teach.
In the past two years I have learned the implementation piece of how to roll out an EHR system for a small or big practices and how to support it. Overall, this is a good place to be at for an entry-level IT professional but the opportunities for growth are limited.
Pros
telecommute once per week, jean fridays
Cons
opportunity for growth
Former Employee
Nurse (Former Employee) –  PittsburghMarch 18, 2013
Disorganized. Lack of respect and loyalty among the staff. Completely unprofessional at times! Would never work there again, nor go there as a patient after hearing how they talk about some of the patients and physicians.
Pros
decent benefits.
Cons
your personal information is not kept private
I feel like we work as a close family and everyone has a say in decisions that are made
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 8, 2013
I start at 8:00a.m. set up my exam rooms, make copies of the schedule and get my supplies ready. I learn more everyday about allergies and asthma the causes and how to treat them. My supervisor makes sure that I have what I need and keeps lines of communication open. We work together due to us being small and a specialist so we pick up the slack when someone is off or running late.The hardest part of the job is having limited appointment space and not being to accomadate each patient. I enjoy meeting new people and helping patients get relief from their medical issues.
Pros
free lunches, acknowledged on birthdays or when something happens in your life
Great place to work/job security not so great
Radiology Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee) –  Natrona Heights, PAJune 6, 2013
I currently work as a radiology transcriptionist, and recently added editor to my title, as the company has gone with voice recognition. I am not guaranteed a job, therefore I feel I need to look for other employment.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no job security
Excellent
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Western PennsylvaniaJanuary 12, 2014
Excellent place to work. Good opportunity for growth and great benefits.
West Penn dominated by AGH
CRNP (Former Employee) –  West Penn HospitalMay 23, 2013
I accepted a job as a CRNP in one of the specialty departments. I never received an orientation. The manager was nice to me when trying to convince me to come on board, but treated me like an insignificant piece of dirt once I was hired. She had been advertising for a long time and was anxious to get someone hired. They do not utilize CRNP's/PA's to their fullest extent. There is a lot of mandated babysitting by the physicians. AGH has all the say in how things are done, West Penn meekly goes along and has no backbone. Even though West Penn has a bad reputation after what they did to their employees when they almost closed the hospital. I thought I would give them a chance. However, left after several slaps in the face from people who have no right to be ignorant to others. I plan to contact the ANCC and inquire as to why they keep their Magnet status after the way they treat their nurses. Good luck getting the "left-overs" from the competition. I don't think that Highmark will be able to save you!!!
Cons
it won't last!

2.9