West Penn Hospital

West Penn Hospital Employer Reviews

Downstaffed and jerked around
Radiologic Tech (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 10, 2014
Pros: close to home and it's not upmc
Cons: the next thing to slavery, except you're worth less to the employer and they have no incentive to make sure you can eat.
For the past 7 years I've been downstaffed significantly on a regular basis. Just when I think I'll finally be able to get the hours I was hired for we're downstaffed for weeks at a time again. To add insult to injury I don't even know when I'm coming in to work until the day before and I don't know when I'm going to be sent home from work until minutes – more... before I'm sent home. Some weeks I've had as little 12 hours.

When we actually get busy I'm obligated to work past the end of my work shift, in violation of PA Act 102, which jeopardizes my husband's job as he can't leave our child until I'm home. If other AHN sites need help I'm required to go to them no matter how far away they are and I'm certainly not paid for the time it takes to get to these sites. There is also no consideration given for how much longer it takes me to get home; if I have to drive 90 minutes after the end of my shift my husband will, once again, be late for his job. What I've been told is that if I don't go it's the same as a "No call, no show."

There is also no consistency in setting or enforcing rules as to who is downstaffed or who is sent where. One day we're taking turns - until someone management likes complains. Then the "rules" are turned inside out to make sure the "squeaky wheel" gets what they want - as long as you're liked. There's always some excuse/explanation as to why the rules don't apply this time. Promotions are non-existent unless you've worked closely with senior management and sucked up in the way they liked. The culture is unfair and abusive. The attitude is that one should be happy to have a job, so shut up. Add in that there is no 403b match, raises are small, and the benefits are expensive and this is not a place I would recommend to anyone who isn't willing to be treated like they're worthless. – less
High paced and every changing responsibilities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PaJune 5, 2014
Pros: provide great patient care
Cons: the patient population is growing but the facility is not.
Learning labor and delivery in a high risk facility is quite eventful. It helps you learn prioritization, delegating and multi-tasking. The information and experiences are very rewarding and educational, I have learned so much from this facility. The nurses all work very well together, and have a team nursing approach.
Supportive Valued Environment
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 18, 2014
Management very supportive
Education for Staff ample
Feeling of value
Patient/Nurse ratio acceptable
Patient/Nurse experience ample
Management and Culture
Senior Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 26, 2014
Pros: management, culture, compensation and benefits
This was one of my favorite jobs. The management team was excellent, knowledgeable and very supportive. Our department worked very well together and always willing to pitch in.
Great workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2014
Since coming to West Penn I have learned a great deal about team work. All co-workers make it an enjoyable work day. The experience I have gained here is something I will always remember.
The enjoyable part of this job is seeing the patients from admission to discharge and being able to visualize the advances in physical and emotional endurance.
Very Productive
Scrub Tech CST (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: learning hospital
Cons: too much on call.
Worked as a OR Scrub tech in MIS/GYN/GEN team. The staff was pleasant and the management was efficient.
Great place to work , very friendly but professional and great care
ICU RN (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 15, 2014
Loved working there . the staff was so helpful to each other and teamwork was in every department... loved it.
Toxic work environment during employment
RN (Former Employee), OncologyJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: learned a great deal about oncology
Cons: assignments were not fair nor based on acuity.
Enjoyed caring for the oncology patients. However, management was extremely poor as administration followed the "Peter Principle" in that managers were promoted to their highest level of incompetence. Some co-workers, especially those who aligned with management, thought they were superior, while having bad attitudes and bullying others based on their – more... likes and dislikes. – less
Evolution in progress
RN Case Manager (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2013
Pros: the organization now has a real chance to survive now that highmark has entered the arena.
Cons: traffic in the city is less than desirable, increasing patient census but still have a lack of staffing; long work days, little work/life balance.
A typical day is quite task filled. The organization is undergoing continual change; Co-workers are kind, down-to-earth people, they pitch in to help when they can. Hardest part of the job is just that one's accountabilities are ever increasing but staffing resources still remain inadequate. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and making – more... a patients' day simply by listening to and addressing their concerns, and lastly, seeing them smile when you follow up with them and tell them that everything is taken care of... – less
Clerical
Registration, Data Entry, clerical Associate (Former Employee), 4800 Friendship Ave Pgh, Pa. 15224November 10, 2012
Pros: my job was not very far from my home.
Cons: must work part- time now.
Organize the work to be done. Return all calls in a timely manner. I have learned to do many computer systems, copy, fax, organize, file, code, prepare charts, obtain referrals, Data entry and registration.
I work well with other co workers and bosses. The hardest part of my job was to be sure everything is done at the end of the day. The most enjoyable – more... part of my job was being with other people. – less
Interesting place to work
Enviromental Services (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, paNovember 6, 2012
Pros: friendly people to work with
Cons: need larger starting pay for the work you do.
Working for this company has its challenges on one hand and can be a great place to work on the other. Coworkers are friendly and fun to be around.
I LOVED IT
Internship (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2012
I loved working at West Penn hospital the experience was wonderful. I learned so many things i had no ideal happened. If i could i would work at this hospital full time and the department i was at. everybody was really nice.
Poor management and training,discriminatory practices
Dept.Sec, Anticoagulation (Former Employee), Bloomfield, PAAugust 10, 2012
Pros: lots of hospital wide celebrations with free lunches and desserts
Cons: unfair to non smokers
During my 13 month employment, I was very unhappy at West Penn. I was hired for one department and when that dept. was shut down after 3 wks, I was told I would be working at a job I didn't apply for and I knew I would hate. I feel they should have given me a choice of being laid off or another open position that fit my qualifications. Needless to say, – more... I hated every minute of being at West Penn. I had 1 hr of training to do the job I was TOLD I would be doing and if I hadn't had previous experience at it, I would have been totally lost. Also, smokers were given many breaks throughout the day but non smokers couldn't leave their desks 5 minutes early at the end of the day! – less
Great place to work.everyone is so nice and conpassionate
Dietetic Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2012
Pros: great benefit package
Cons: short staffed
Great people and management who are dedicated to there jobs.
You can learn alot being in the medical field through you co-workers and suspervisors.Sometimes it can get a little overwelming because
it does get busy,but thats part of the job.But what I loved about the job is how everyone can pull togather to get the job done.It's team work.
good place to work
Pittsburgh Pa (Former Employee), Staff RnNovember 10, 2011
I learned a great deal from my time that I was employed through West Penn Hospital