West Side Transport Employee Reviews

What a joke
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2017
As an Ohio based driver the pay commitment was a joke. They promised it, then did everything they could to keep it from you. Runs to the East coat, up and down freight, 34 hour reset, no family balance. Equipment was cheap and junk.
Pros
Cons
Applying there
Productive and fun
Lead Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
This was a very good job I hated when they announced that they were shutting down the Houston branch. They did offer me a job at their main office but I would have had to relocate.
Bad Management
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IA 52404November 28, 2017
Company in finanacial troubles, took away bonuses and increased hours worked. No raises for two years, promises that once the company started doing better they would
excellent company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 27, 2017
I never had no problems with westside during my time there.excellent work place.the doctors side lined me otherwise i'd stayed longer.great support staff.
Driver Manager
Driver Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 23, 2017
As a driver manager at the hub level I feel that I am able to impact the company and develop relevant work experience within the field of logistics. It is a fairly difficult role, doesn't pay amazingly, but has great benefits.
Most are friendly
Company Driver - Solo - OTR (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2017
Most employees are friendly some are snottty. Most of the drivers are less then 2 years. Hum that might tell us something about the company but you decide
Pros
Rider program
Cons
Its what benifits them at the time
Good starter company, not for long term.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 12, 2017
A good company for a new driver, but for someone looking for more compensation. Not a company for long term. Hard if you have a family because the lack of incoming money every week can be stressful. You end up working six days to receive the income you should get for working five days.
not enough staffing on off shift
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 12, 2017
I was as able to use my leadership ability's to help drivers when they are frustrated. was able to help with logging issues, with maintenance issues
Pros
very good benifits.
Cons
a lot of promises that were made, did not happen.
a typical day
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 8, 2017
freight is up and down. some weeks low miles and others decent miles..They rate everything as a pay commitment. If you dont ask what to be expected, you wont get the pay.Information is not just handed out to you. The trucks are well maintained. Family friendly company.. Occasionally lunches in different terminals.
Pros
family orientated
Cons
more info available without asking
didn't click with me.
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 15, 2017
I don't have much to say, me and West Side just where not a good match. Pretty much sums it up. (This thing requires a 150 characters for some reason, so here you go.)
Not being home for 34hr restart
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 3, 2017
When I would have to do my 34hr restart they would always have me do it in cedar rapids iowa, I told them numerous times I live in council bluffs not cedar rapids I guess they couldnt comprehend that
Pros
Cons
Never home for 34hr
Regional Driver
Regional Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2017
Depends on what you are looking. They keep you moving all the time very little down time. They haul a lot of scrap paper to international paper. The management is pretty fair most of the time. If I needed to go to a doctor they would try to work around it. They dont pay tolls and route you around them. Which is a pain in the butt. They have a lot of Automatic trucks. I would say there health insurance sucks but they have a pay commitment. With this company you just take the good with the bad.
Pros
Pay commitment, Automatic trucks
Cons
Health insurance, Dont pay tolls
Not a fun place
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 23, 2017
I have no review the company lied to me I cannot and will not work for a place that is not honest with me.this company is all about themselves bad place to work
Pros
Cons
Dishonesty
Productive and fun workplace with a pool table.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 9, 2017
West Side is one of the best jobs I have ever had. It was a positive and upbeat place to work. The Driver Managers/Dispatchers were amazing. They took excellent care of the equipment and the drivers. I would recommend West Side to any driver looking for work.
I very much liked my job at WTI.
Parts Manager, Field Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAMay 6, 2017
WTI was a tough business…providing trucks to pick up AG products for market took us from No. CA to So. Ca. Transporting 'home-grown' garlic to Gilroy Foods to process PURE garlic. Transporting many, many varieties of veggies and fruits for market. It requires long hours and sometimes long periods of being away from home.
Pros
Family business, many hard working employees.
Cons
No balance of work and home life, mostly non-existent.
Good place
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 30, 2017
It's a great place to work. I have traveled all over and got lot of experience. They treat you fairly and give great benefits. Everyone at westside is nice.
Trainee
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILApril 20, 2017
Company great but if u training and have a emegency at home while u on the road they will let u go. My sister was diagnosed terminally ill i had to leave to see her and left was terminated the next day. But i must say one of the best companies i came across
Pros
Every employee i came across was very nice
Cons
Could take a few days off to see my sick sister
Official response from West Side Transport
April 24, 2017

Can you send me an email to justinw@westsidetransport.com so I can look into this further? I want to look into the situation and see what happened. Very much appreciated for the review.

they were great people
Transaction Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 14, 2017
I really enjoyed the job. I was only there a month, before I decided to move back to Iowa City, but, I really enjoyed working there.
I went through a computer sheet and mailed out billings. The company was behind on filings, I went through the billings daily to help them with the filing. I really enjoyed being able to email between the co-workers on the work computers. The hardest part was watching my co-worker do things she wasn't supposed to. The most enjoyable part was having a job there.
Pros
we could send emails to each other on the computers on the work computers
Cons
don't know of any
Great place to work.
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 7, 2017
Best company I have worked for, just celebrated my 4 year anniversary. Good equipment, management is the best, excellent communication. If you're looking for a place to call home, this it.
Current Hub driver
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 17, 2017
I'm pretty happy with westside. They keep me busy with miles and the dispatchers I work with are good people. They offer a yearly gala with prizes and fun events for the driver's which is a nice thought. The trucks are all newer frieghtliners, Volvos and internationals which is also nice. My only real gripe with the company is they offer very little to nothing in the way of incentive pay. Sure they have safety bonuses but most all companies do. But I've been with the company for 4 years now. 500k safe miles and have never missed an apt time. But I have never received a raise or any kind of incentive pay for that outside of safety bonus. This is my first and only trucking Career company so it might be normal, but just seems like a poor decision to not keep good drivers happy with the occasional raise.
Pros
Trucks, dispatchers, miles
Cons
No incentives or pay raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Side Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8