West Side Transport Employee Reviews

I was happy here
Driver Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 15, 2017
I was very happy with Westside. I was able to move up with the company from off shift dispatch to Driver manager. I then moved out of town and drove about an hour to get to work daily and decided to find something closer.
Serviced the purpose
Fleet Manager-Customer Service-Automotive (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 22, 2017
Was off shift dispatcher responsible for customer service, tracking, and breakdown for a 450 over the road trucking company.
I have knowledge of transportation software, qual comm , e-logs.
Well versed in all phases of the transportation industry including automotive and tanker experience
Recruiters don't care and management doesn't communicate
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 10, 2017
I got hung up on when calling to check on my application doesn't sound like a very good business when they hang up on you. Yet I like how they claim your home on weekends and yet I doubt you are from what I've seen on here.
Pros
Safety meetings
Cons
No communication
payroll Clerk
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 6, 2017
data entry for truckers payroll scan and process
incoming calls form truckers for their payroll .
Mail delivery to dispatch . Receive all information from truckers
Pros
good money
Cons
Mangement
Good miles, decent equipment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 5, 2017
It's a good company to be with and I wanted to review West Side Transport to let others know you can rest easy if you are wondering if you should work there.

I decided to go owner op after spending over a year with West Side Transport and the jury is still out if I made the right decision. Anyway the office people are all very kind and everyone seems happy. My dispatcher kept me running and looking back she was good at handling my attitude, we all have our disagreements.

Another thing is the pay commitment they advertise, there were some weeks that I got an extra $300-$400 that I wouldn't have earned without it (how do they stay in business??) mabye they figure an empty truck is worth it..idk

So if you are thinking about West Side go ahead, they are good at their niche for their size and most of the customers were easy to deal with, oh and they are a very safe company, constant weather updates and safety meetings got annoying but I think thats the point.
Pros
Pay Commitment, Safety, Miles (OTR)
Cons
White trucks get dirty easier, toll policy, not much warm weather areas
Good company overall
Driver (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILDecember 21, 2016
good communication on loads.Company does a great job in maintaining equipment.Professionalism is great way to have a work environment that makes everyone enjoy performing their daily duties
Pros
Great equipment, good routes
Cons
Changed pay system, not recognizing extra duties performed
Laid back and easy going shop
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 29, 2016
Have enjoyed my time here so far over the years. 1st and 2nd shift available which is nice depending on your lifestyle. Trailer shop, truck shop, wash bay, truck detailer positions
west side is swift with a different logo
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 4, 2016
My father died alone because of west side. I told them I needed to get home instead they made me do a day cabs job and move trailers from yard to yard. So I was out of drive time 200 miles from my dad. I would have made it if they would have sent me home when I was already empty. The pay commitment is a joke. If you are in the sleeper to long, on home time, or whatever other new reason they come up with you will not get it. You'll pretty much never make a 600 dollar check. The cash advance that they say can only be used for the truck comes out of your check. They don't reimburse toll useless its in the route they choose for you. They don't always give you the numbers needed to pick up so, you spend an hour arguing with them and the shipper. You do not get holiday pay until a year. At a year its Christmas only then at two years its Christmas and new years,etc. The staff is flat out rude. They want it their way and thats that even if it includes you going over drive time, being over weight, or using broken equipment. Horrible horrible place. Steer clear for the well being of your career.
Good job but difficult at times as many other jobs are.
Professional semi -truck driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 16, 2016
Gained experience in the life of trucking and what it takes to be get from point a-b, and maneuvering an 18-wheel semi. Many times while driving I would get messages on the messaging device, I would have to continually pull over to reply to important messages, which costed more time to get somewhere. My co-workers were professional and nice to me throughout my term. Being on-time when given a specific time to be somewhere, due to time to drive and number of miles required; I would only have minutes to spare to get to where I needed to be.
Pros
Pay committment
Cons
At different times I felt rushed
n/a
Regional Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 11, 2016
I enjoy working for this company. I get to travel and see the county. The pay is good also. It's a normal trucking job. I go from point A to point B and pick up or delivery product.
Great place for dedicated road warriors
Midwest Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 25, 2016
Good company to work for if you are a true road warrior who is looking for miles. Kind of lacking in getting you in and out of the shop when needed as Tech's are not staffed 24/7.
Decent company to start off with
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 27, 2016
Very welcoming to me and my family. Teaching drivers were helpful as was the HR staff. The trucks were clean and ran well. The computer system was easy to understand and learn.
Productive and fun job
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Greet new drivers and assist them with their trucks once they are done with orientation. Make sure that they are following safety. Listen to drivers that just needed to vent or needed answers. Did follow up calls with new drivers. Enjoy dealing with new faces. The hardest part was to convince the drivers that they can talk to me if they where having any personal issues. Also, when having to let drivers go. Coworkers where very supportive and helpful. They made the day fun.
Prettty good place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 30, 2015
Not much i can say about this company other than the training was good and i enjoyed driving over the road. I enjoyed my trainer and appreciate everything i was shown.
Fun and relaxed work place
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 23, 2015
Awesome company to work for, and all the people there are just like a loving family. Everyone is so nice I feel like I belong to a team.
Pros
Plenty of work to go around
Sad company , smal couldn't even afford Ipasses for their Trucks.
Class A CDL Trainee (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILJuly 29, 2015
I feel they are a low bottem trucking company. Reicuters made promisses that weren't kept. I was required to carry $150 a week on my truck to pay tolls and to be reimbersed as late as two weeks later.
Lies, lies, lies yeah.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar RapidsMarch 12, 2015
I was hired on their National Fleet which covers Midwest, south, east and northeast, I'm supposed to get 2500-2800 miles per week. Bull! They say 308 mile bunnyhops is what every driver is getting. Bull again, when you try to reason with management they turn everything around on you, then punish you with day-cab trips. Clearly, they pick their favorites and they get the miles. Stay away from this company unless you can live on $400.00 per week.
Pros
Free lunch and nice hotel
Cons
Nightmare
Another ordinary carrier
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 22, 2015
I would consider West Side to be an average to below average OTR and Regional carrier. I guess they are all right if you are only interested in money and newer equipment. When I was hired I was told that I could refuse loads that would be too difficult because of lack of sleep, and then after I was there a few weeks they suddenly changed their minds, and then I was required to take any load at any time, regardless of the fatigue risks. I know that means that I won't get my merit badge for being a tough trucker that can take anything, but I would rather drive safely, and make it back alive.
Pros
Maintained their equipment real well with newer trucks and trailers.
Cons
Home time wasn't very good, and there was too much floating schedule requirements. It was hard to get decent rest because of it.
got to go to alot of different places and states
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 2, 2015
they were pretty family orientated and understanding but I just need to be home more.
Pros
great pay
Cons
not home enough
Extreme trucking
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 18, 2014
I drive a tractor trailer for a dedicated account that covers 500 roundtrip miles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Side Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7