West Side Transport

West Side Transport Employee Reviews

Another ordinary carrier
Regional Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: maintained their equipment real well with newer trucks and trailers.
Cons: home time wasn't very good, and there was too much floating schedule requirements. it was hard to get decent rest because of it.
I would consider West Side to be an average to below average OTR and Regional carrier. I guess they are all right if you are only interested in money and newer equipment. When I was hired I was told that I could refuse loads that would be too difficult because of lack of sleep, and then after I was there a few weeks they suddenly changed their minds, and then I was required to take any load at any time, regardless of the fatigue risks. I know that means that I won't get my merit badge for being a tough trucker that can take anything, but I would rather drive safely, and make it back alive.
got to go to alot of different places and states
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: not home enough
they were pretty family orientated and understanding but I just need to be home more.
Extreme trucking
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IADecember 18, 2014
I drive a tractor trailer for a dedicated account that covers 500 roundtrip miles.
Not driver friendly
OTR Solo Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: good maintainance program
Cons: expected to cheat on logbook which i refused to do
More concerned about what their expectations caused the driver
Worst of the Worst
Driver (Former Employee), Youngstown OHMarch 27, 2014
Pros: they get you home
Cons: criminals
After working here 8 months, I was diagnosed with cancer. It wasn't a big deal, my doctor said I could still work with no restrictions after a quick surgery where I needed a week off. After informing West Side I had cancer, I was told I could no longer work there and that I "volunteered" to resign. What? I was then informed I could re-apply for my job after my insurance lapsed and if I played ball, they would allow me to come back but with no medical insurance. So, I lost my job, my insurance and went medically bankrupt.
Other problems with this company are slow trucks, bad maintanence, most loads are short haul and just flat out rude and insulting office staff.
Director, Maintenance and Equipment (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 12, 2014
Directed and oversaw a staff of 17 technicians maintaining company equipment and facilities, resulting in lower cost per mile for the fleet. Procured repair estimates, selected most cost effective repair option, and approved accident repairs with outside vendors
Run like hell
Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IA.January 8, 2014
Pros: newer equipment
Cons: anything and everything bad about trucking
Stay away from these people! They act and talk like they care. They do care, about themselves... bottom line. They advertise they're "a Family company". No, no,no,no,no,. It's the families of everyone BUT the drivers. You continually get messages via qualcom crying about fuel cost, idling time and checking your brakes, lights and tires. Mechanics there are have the biggest egos. You tell them something's wrong with the truck and they reply "are you a mechanic?" This ccompany is the most selfish group of people I've ever worked for. If you want a better life for you and your family, it won't happen here. Most of the trucks are automatics. The transmissions are "dumbed down" by computers that will not allow you to exceed 12000 rpms per gear. All trucks are governed to 62 MPH, so if you decide to go OTR, your pay will be capped. Do the math.
see highways truck stops and warehouses
Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: job
Cons: home time
wake up drive , stop at a truck stop, drive again go to a warehouse. and do it all over again. Don't believe everything that is promised such as home time.The hardest part was being away from the family.
OTR Driver
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: fairly friendly management
Cons: slow freight, typical otr, getting you home on time
A small company turning into a large company. Saw many changes in the company.
ok place to work.
Over-the-road Truck Driver (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 5, 2012
Pros: free lunches during meetings and trainings.
Cons: health insurance not the greatest.
decent place to work , as long as you are over the road. regional and dedicated do not get as many miles.

Don't have an accident or you will be fired immediately
Great hometime so you can look for the good paying position
Driver (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAApril 21, 2012
Pros: good equipment, minimal down time when working
Cons: way to much extremes, either to much work or none for hours at a time, always pushing the hours limits
Good equipment and excellent hometime but poor wages. So give up a paycheck for time at home. As with any company safety is getting hot and heavy .CSA are most important and getting more attention than your issues as a driver. I'm looking .

West Side Transport Salaries