West Side Transport

West Side Transport Employee Reviews in United States

Decent company to start off with
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 27, 2016
Very welcoming to me and my family. Teaching drivers were helpful as was the HR staff. The trucks were clean and ran well. The computer system was easy to understand and learn.
Productive and fun job
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Greet new drivers and assist them with their trucks once they are done with orientation. Make sure that they are following safety. Listen to drivers that just needed to vent or needed answers. Did follow up calls with new drivers. Enjoy dealing with new faces. The hardest part was to convince the drivers that they can talk to me if they where having any personal issues. Also, when having to let drivers go. Coworkers where very supportive and helpful. They made the day fun.
Prettty good place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 30, 2015
Not much i can say about this company other than the training was good and i enjoyed driving over the road. I enjoyed my trainer and appreciate everything i was shown.
Fun and relaxed work place
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 23, 2015
Awesome company to work for, and all the people there are just like a loving family. Everyone is so nice I feel like I belong to a team.
Pros
Plenty of work to go around
Sad company , smal couldn't even afford Ipasses for their Trucks.
Class A CDL Trainee (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILJuly 29, 2015
I feel they are a low bottem trucking company. Reicuters made promisses that weren't kept. I was required to carry $150 a week on my truck to pay tolls and to be reimbersed as late as two weeks later.
Lies, lies, lies yeah.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar RapidsMarch 12, 2015
I was hired on their National Fleet which covers Midwest, south, east and northeast, I'm supposed to get 2500-2800 miles per week. Bull! They say 308 mile bunnyhops is what every driver is getting. Bull again, when you try to reason with management they turn everything around on you, then punish you with day-cab trips. Clearly, they pick their favorites and they get the miles. Stay away from this company unless you can live on $400.00 per week.
Pros
Free lunch and nice hotel
Cons
Nightmare
Another ordinary carrier
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 22, 2015
I would consider West Side to be an average to below average OTR and Regional carrier. I guess they are all right if you are only interested in money and newer equipment. When I was hired I was told that I could refuse loads that would be too difficult because of lack of sleep, and then after I was there a few weeks they suddenly changed their minds, and then I was required to take any load at any time, regardless of the fatigue risks. I know that means that I won't get my merit badge for being a tough trucker that can take anything, but I would rather drive safely, and make it back alive.
Pros
maintained their equipment real well with newer trucks and trailers.
Cons
home time wasn't very good, and there was too much floating schedule requirements. it was hard to get decent rest because of it.
got to go to alot of different places and states
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 2, 2015
they were pretty family orientated and understanding but I just need to be home more.
Pros
great pay
Cons
not home enough
Extreme trucking
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 18, 2014
I drive a tractor trailer for a dedicated account that covers 500 roundtrip miles.
to management
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 16, 2014
review your policies when someone has a health problem and resigns for that and is told that he or she could return that needs to be changed even if employee is on probation
Pros
good employees how are drivers
Cons
lack of respect for drivers from dispatch
Not driver friendly
OTR Solo Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 16, 2014
More concerned about what their expectations caused the driver
Pros
good maintainance program
Cons
expected to cheat on logbook which i refused to do
my driver manager was excellent
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 1, 2014
Regional driver for them. At times I felt pressured and rushed, even in adverse weather conditions. I did the best I could.
Worst of the Worst
Driver (Former Employee) –  Youngstown OHMarch 27, 2014
After working here 8 months, I was diagnosed with cancer. It wasn't a big deal, my doctor said I could still work with no restrictions after a quick surgery where I needed a week off. After informing West Side I had cancer, I was told I could no longer work there and that I "volunteered" to resign. What? I was then informed I could re-apply for my job after my insurance lapsed and if I played ball, they would allow me to come back but with no medical insurance. So, I lost my job, my insurance and went medically bankrupt.
Other problems with this company are slow trucks, bad maintanence, most loads are short haul and just flat out rude and insulting office staff.
Pros
they get you home
Cons
criminals
Small company with big results
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  cedar rapids iaMarch 19, 2014
When i first entered westside main hq in cedar rapids i felt like i was at home.
Pros
small company plenty work
Cons
not enough hometime
Director, Maintenance and Equipment (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 12, 2014
Directed and oversaw a staff of 17 technicians maintaining company equipment and facilities, resulting in lower cost per mile for the fleet. Procured repair estimates, selected most cost effective repair option, and approved accident repairs with outside vendors
it was nice to work for them
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 21, 2014
it was a good company to work for the co workers are great to work with
Pros
it was an nice environment to work in
Cons
took to long to go work everyday
Run like hell
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IA.January 8, 2014
Stay away from these people! They act and talk like they care. They do care, about themselves... bottom line. They advertise they're "a Family company". No, no,no,no,no,. It's the families of everyone BUT the drivers. You continually get messages via qualcom crying about fuel cost, idling time and checking your brakes, lights and tires. Mechanics there are have the biggest egos. You tell them something's wrong with the truck and they reply "are you a mechanic?" This ccompany is the most selfish group of people I've ever worked for. If you want a better life for you and your family, it won't happen here. Most of the trucks are automatics. The transmissions are "dumbed down" by computers that will not allow you to exceed 12000 rpms per gear. All trucks are governed to 62 MPH, so if you decide to go OTR, your pay will be capped. Do the math.
Pros
newer equipment
Cons
anything and everything bad about trucking
a place that i would not advise anyone to seek employment.
midwest regional truck driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 21, 2013
West Side Transport was a company that i would not recommend to any one due to uncaring culture towards the drivers. companied take miles from drivers that were driven and distribute to dispatchers. the company made promises of so many miles to get drivers interested and hired and then fail on all promised made. in the trucking industry miles driver are how income is made and to make such promises and fail on those promised on purpose are a major concern. the company also showed no loyalty to drivers.
Cons
just a bad place to be employed if you want an upstanding company to work for.
see highways truck stops and warehouses
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 7, 2013
wake up drive , stop at a truck stop, drive again go to a warehouse. and do it all over again. Don't believe everything that is promised such as home time.The hardest part was being away from the family.
Pros
job
Cons
home time
OTR Driver
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 19, 2013
A small company turning into a large company. Saw many changes in the company.
Pros
fairly friendly management
Cons
slow freight, typical otr, getting you home on time

2.8