West Suburban Bank

West Suburban Bank Employer Reviews

Good PT Job
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Carol Stream, ILNovember 13, 2014
Good job while attending school full time. Flexible hours, heavy customer service experience.
Awesome bank to work for!
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee), Aurora, ILNovember 11, 2014
At West Suburban Bank I Supervised the tellers and helped out at the teller line. I learned a lot there, I was able to learn about the products they offered as well as how to supervise. My manager there was great, she was so caring and fun! The hardest part of the job was actually leaving it. The environment there was awesome we all worked well together – more... and had fun doing so. I highly recommend working for West Suburban Bank! – less
It was fine
TELLER (Former Employee), Oswego ilAugust 18, 2014
It was your typical banking job exactly what you'd expect. The people I worked with we're great.
Very Friendly working environment
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Bolingbrook, ILAugust 5, 2014
Pros: gift cards, dinners
Cons: short hours, no insurance for part timers
West Suburban bank is unlike other bank.We have a very friendly working atmosphere.The co-workers are always ready to help each other whenever there is a need. i like to work in team environment. Overall all i had a good time working at WSB as bank teller for 3 years.
Safe and productive working environment
Personal Banker (Current Employee), Carol Stream, ILJune 15, 2014
Pros: gift cards at christmas.
Cons: healthcare, insurance
West Suburban bank is unlike other bank.We have a very friendly working atmosphere.The co-workers are always ready to help each other whenever there is a need.The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get an opportunity to interact with people.Listen to problems and then be able to solve them.
Days at the bank.
TELLER (Current Employee), Carol Stream, ILJune 5, 2014
-I handle transactions for customers that require handling money and providing great communication.
-I have learned on how to remain calm in difficult situations and always ask questions if unsure about something.
-My co-workers are friendly and welcoming. They are willing to step in and help out.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant-Comptroller Department (Former Employee), Downers Grove, ILMay 14, 2014
Great Job- Worked in a well organized office. Learned lots of new things like how to use excel.
A nice family owned business.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Villa Park, ILApril 2, 2014
I had worked there for some time driving a school bus and it was close enough for me to walk to work.
(current employee)
teller (Current Employee), western suburbsFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: flexible with schedule
Cons: low pay, no benefits for part-timers, have to work sundays, and you will not advance here
branch is too fast pace for having no tellers
poor management
a teller
Sales Representative/ Teller (Former Employee), Winfield , ILAugust 8, 2013
Best place to work, good management and everyday you would go and have great time taking care of customers and with co- workers.

The hard part of job was waking up early 6am but enjoyed at lunch times eating together.
Rare easy going bank enviornment
Personal Banker (Current Employee), Oswego, ILJune 13, 2013
Pros: easy going, low stress, great co-workers
Cons: low pay!!!!!
Low stress banking environment, easy goals to achieve. Management is only so-so and inconsistent. Co-workers are great, younger crowd. Other departments can be very rude. Hardest part of the job is putting up with much responsibility for little pay. Easiest part of the job is that its usually easy going and low pressure.
Growing bank with great work environment
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJune 4, 2013
I was a teller for WSB while I was in high school. The bank was a great first job and set me on a path to pursuing my degree in Accounting.
Great workers
Teller (Current Employee), Carol Stream, ILMay 8, 2013
Great place, busy, and learning skills is great. Great co workeres...and customers.
Don't plan on living on the pay
Teller (Current Employee), Lombard, ILApril 21, 2013
Pros: insurance
Cons: low pay, work sundays and federal holidays, no way to move up, poor management, no incentives
The day runs like a typical bank, but anything after that is horrible. Management doesn't understand how to run the bank which impedes on the tellers ability to do their work on keep their customers happy.

No one is perfect, but if you miss one tiny thing on your review, you will not score high enough to move up in the company. Don't think that you – more... will ever get a promotion. – less
Great atmosphere with wonderful people
Teller (Current Employee), Darien, ILApril 16, 2013
For the most part, it is a nice place to work. It's not too stressful, the people and customers are great to talk to.
I've learned more about money and life and the different ways I can help prevent other people from getting into financial trouble.
The management is very nice. They're fun and easy to talk to and I know I can go to them when I have a – more... problem.
My co-workers make working at my location fun. We always joke around and help each other when we can.
The hardest part of the job is effectively taking care of and keeping every customer happy in a timely and efficient manner, but it's always worth it.
The most enjoyable part is getting to know everyone I take care of. – less
good place to work.
Teller (Former Employee), bolingbrook ilMarch 30, 2013
It was a good place to work. Friendly work environment and productive compliance.
A Not So Happy-Happy Work Experience
Teller (Former Employee), South SuburbsMarch 29, 2013
It's a shame that I found the WSB branch I worked at to be such a poorly-staffed and managed place behind the scenes, because overall the bank is not such a bad place.
Teller (Former Employee), South SuburbsMarch 29, 2013
It's a shame that WSB is such a poorly-staffed and managed place behind the scenes, because overall the bank is not such a bad place.

It's small, and the customer base is nice, but aside from that it's your typical corporate retail experience: they don't offer much in the way of pay or advancement, so it's largely staffed by the extremely young and/or – more... the dysfunctional, and management struts around with a big stick trying to keep things in order and ends up bludgeoning the decent employees instead. – less

Teller (Former Employee), NapervilleMarch 29, 2013

There are some good reviews here on the site, and perhaps there are some locations that are better staffed and managed. But, my branch was characterized by an unfortunate, soul-killing prisonlike atmosphere. And, once you're there, fuggedabout transferring...the revolving staffing door makes them so desperate to cover the hours that they would sooner shoot you and stand your body up in the drive-thru to take customers.

I found it also to be the most punitive work environment I've had to date: I was there for over a year and a half and had a perfect balancing record, yet the level of suspicion was high. You were treated as if you were stuffing packs of cash in your pocket at every turn, and should you make a mistake in counting your cash at the end of the night, management would freak and it was almost as if battle station alarms were going off all over the place.

instant writeups for honest mistakes and/or minor matters were also standard procedure; expect to be ambushed by two members of management and dragged into kangaroo court, and don't expect to have an opinion in the matter, because you are not allowed to have one other than that of WSB, because it will be labeled as 'your perception' and will be promptly dismissed.

And, if you are not a bobblehead/warm body, and actually possess some critical thinking skills, you will be horrified by the 'just stand there and look stupid and ask your supervisor for permission to breathe' philosophy that permeates the place.

Part-timers, too, have the toughest time as they are continually pestered to 'open their availability' to be able to work any time, as well as asked repeatedly to travel to other locations even after they have informed management that they can't or don't wish to do so.

And, yes, management might be 'great about school schedules,' but that's only because the crux of their staff is high school/college, and the little ones are catered to continually, not just about school but about 'I'm going out Saturday and don't want to work Sunday'. But, if you're an adult student like I was, and have to take day classes so you can be home with the kiddies at night, good luck getting the time off.

If you're interested in banking, then I suggest one of the majors like PNC or Fifth Third instead. And, do visit the individual branch you intend to apply for, and check that out first, because I suspect even those places can vary wildly in quality depending on the crew they hire. – less