West Valley College Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
I was a contracotr
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 24, 2017
I only work at West Valley for a short period of time. I did work long enough to evaluate my work or the administration. If I was working longer, I probably would of been able to rate the institution.
Pros
Being a contractor
Cons
No Health Benefits
Friendly environment focused on helping students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 4, 2017
The Math Resource Center at West Valley College was a large room where any student could request assistance from peers or from professors. A large red binder stored a queue of students waiting for help.
Pros
Reviewing the math from previous semesters helped solidify concepts
Cons
Not all students easy to help
Learning environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJune 11, 2017
During this job opportunity, I had the chance to interact with students and instructors. I learned about laboratory tools and procedures. This work further helped me with my own chemistry courses and apply them to my personal knowledge. Every day in this job was a learning experience. The workplace never had a repeated agenda because each day and each quarter followed with different tasks and laboratory procedure.
Cons
Very good about break
Nice place to work while going to school.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMay 2, 2017
My typical day at work would be helping students with getting books and multimedia. I would also keep work area and student areas clean for use. I also organized books and multimedia in their necessary locations.Management were friendly people and I learned from them the tasks that I had to do.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not Sure
Great Experience with Great People
Financial Aid Technician II (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAApril 24, 2017
I enjoyed my entire time at West Valley College, I had made great friendships and learned so much about financial aid. Management was very open to taking in my ideas about how to better connect with students. The compensation is not bad, however, we do a lot of work and should deserve a better compensation. This position kept me busy and provided daily challenges for me which only made me a better worker. The best part of this job though were the people.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, the people, challenges, work/life balance
Cons
bratty students, compensation could be better
Great atmosphere
school (Former Employee) –  ca saratogaApril 9, 2017
Great atmosphere, fun and family oriented. great place to work. they believe in your aspirations and is dedicated to your success. their work always begins with your goals and challenges.
Great Customer Service Position
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Willow Glen, CAFebruary 13, 2017
People skills is a must while working in retail. I loved working for Longs and advanced pretty quickly. I started as a cashier in high school then took over the Hallmark department and shortly after was promoted upstairs to the Bookkeeper position.
Super fun and interactive
Physical Education Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJanuary 26, 2017
It's such a great work place to work at if you love to interact with others. I work in the mornings so for me it's always a great way to start my day with a positive attitude and up beat.
Pros
Super fun and enjoyable!
Cons
nothing
The department I work for is great. The people are nice.
Senior Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CADecember 26, 2016
There are pluses and minuses to all jobs and West Valley is not excluded from this.

Some of the buildings are very old, like the one I work in. Others are new.

The District is currently rolling out a new computer system. So the next 2-3 years will be tough. Everyone is on the same field when it comes to understanding how to do their work with the system. Banner has a lot of glitches and is one of the worse computer programs I have ever used.
Pros
Free Clothing, the views spectacular.
Cons
Banner is new, the cost of living in that area is outrageous.
productive and fun exprience
Teacher Assistance (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 30, 2016
I learned from this job to be part of the community that the teachers where involved with and see how they work in regular bases.
Productive and learning workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMay 29, 2016
This is program that receives a federal grant to help students succeed in college.
As an Office assistant my typical day consists of
Answering phones
School data entry
Filing
Refer students to any needed or specific program specially if student has special needs.
Student interaction
Planning special program events for students
Recruiting
The director of the program serves as a faculty member of the colleges and school counselor.
Pros
School positions let you interact with a lot of students and faculty members of college, creating great networks for future reference.
Cons
Temporary position during school semester
Relaxed atmosphere with plenty of work to be done.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 7, 2015
Work schedule was done around your school schedule. Therefore you could go to work after class or before class. Dealt with people from different socioeconomic backgrounds. Fridays they provided beagles in the "adult return to school" center.
Boa de Trabalhar
Atleta (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 6, 2015
Ótimo lugar para se trabalhar, com grandes profissionais, grande estrutura e sempre disposta a fazer com que você possa melhorar a cada dia mais
Outreach (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 14, 2014
Went to various high schools and businesses and talk about the importance of College and all the great programs that West Valley College offered.
Pros
Having a chance to encourage student to pursuit higher education
Cons
No benefits because I was part time.
Great Work Place
Laboratory Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAOctober 30, 2013
This job was very flexible especially during midterms and finals.
Always provided a back-up schedule during finals.
Learned a lot about chemistry and the different elements.
The manager always helped with school work and answered chemistry related questions.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
None.
Great Job to work for
Custodian/Event Set-ups (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAOctober 8, 2013
Great job and great environment to work for. it is a very positive place and the students and faculty were great
Good team work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CaliforniaJuly 8, 2013
• Worked in a team of two to help participants with disabilities over come fears and taught swimming skills to older participants
• Advanced awareness, quickness and thinking in the future in order to avoid possible danger of drowning

Great People, Friendly Work Environment.
Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant  (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 5, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. The employees there were very nice and friendly. I worked with students with special needs and the staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Enjoyed the driving and setting up the stages
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 9, 2013
transporting stage props and displays, and their volunteers. I learned how to load and unload a truck in proper order and how to safely maneuver to the stage. The hardest part was moving all of the props and equipment. I enjoyed being a part of the team
Collaborative and friendly working environment
Clerical assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMarch 7, 2013
It was a good place to work as student. My responsabilities changed avery day, sometimes helping costumers over the phone, or design flyers for some classes and entering registration information in the system. I was lucky to have such nice people working around. It was a very friendly and collaborative environment. I cannot think about a really "hard" part, I was able to execute all of the tasks I was required. I enjoyed the team work and the flexible schedule.
Pros
the campus is nice and surrounded by nature
Cons
it is far from commercial places