West Virginia State University Employee Reviews

avi
Cashier/Prep-Cook (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVSeptember 19, 2017
This was a terrible job with a boss who bullied his workers on a daily basis. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone the grateful note in this situation is they lost their contract with the college. Overall dealing with the staff and the students of the college was not terrible.
Pros
Culuture
Cons
horrible management
Family
Staff (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVAugust 10, 2017
Tough place to work. Convenient location and cost to go there. Not great training. offices don't work well together. The new president seems to be trying.
Small, friendly campus
Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 16, 2017
Small campus and easy access. Supportive faculty member and administration. If you are looking for a large range in courses you will need to find a bigger school though fine for someone interested in a cozy setting.
Pros
Small campus
Cons
limited courses
Great and safe place
Post-Doctoral Associate, Department of Biology (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 24, 2017
West Virginia State University has very pleasant working climate to spend time to learn and achieve, with well trained professors, quality equipment and academic staff.
Pros
Friendly climate
Cons
Lack of funds to support new construction or new labs or new staff
Social.
West Virginia - Tutor (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJanuary 31, 2017
Lots of learning opportunities, people are social, many training sessions, pay is low, internships are offered, hours are very flexible.
Freshman Experience
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJanuary 31, 2017
West Virginia State University is a great school. The staff there are very hands on, and always available for the students and personally the best school in the state.
Intellectual Food
Leadership Mentor (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVSeptember 10, 2016
The campus was a very busy and bustling diverse environment, Learning about people and culture was a constant pleasure. Though my position was mostly autonomous, the lack of structure could be stressful.

There were many projects and programs always keeping me busy, and that was fun. Finding volunteers and motivating individuals was very difficult, but rewarding.
Pros
Creating while Learning
Cons
Balancing work and grades
Alright Place to work, It's worth a try for students looking for a work study position.
Residence Life Work Study Employee (Current Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 9, 2016
Excellent day to day work cycle, slow at times, but that allowed me to catch up on any homework I had to do before class. Management could use some better oversight, but they did try to be involved in daily operations. My co-workers were fellow students at times they would not hold their position seriously.
A Backwards College in University's Clothes
Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVOctober 21, 2015
A regional teaching institution, with no real research requirements. Any publication will be sufficient for tenure, including a letter to the editor. Expect a 4/4 load, great benefits, and decent facilities. Faculty and staff have to pay to use a gym, however, and there are other marks of a small college with university pretensions. Middle management can vary widely in quality. Going through much transition and lots of turnover.
Pros
Comfortable Working Environment with Low Expectations
Cons
Transition and Chaos beside a chemical plant in West Virginia
Fun
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WvAugust 19, 2015
I enjoyed working for the university. It was a bit of a challenge at first giving the fact of the university going through so many changes.
good place to make some extra cash
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 20, 2015
this was just a work study job. it was easy and it gave time to sit and do work while at work to kill two birds with one stone. all i had to do was watch the computer lab
New Administration is HORRIBLE
TRiO Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 2, 2015
Run as fast as you can if you're considering working for this institution. When the new president came in, he changed the school from an institution of higher learning where students come first to a cash cow where students and employees both were just statistics.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, poor compensation, indifferent administration, NO work/life balance
very Business oriented
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVApril 28, 2015
I learded how to approach customers, and how to explain any account balances they may have. My co-workers were great people.
Friendly working atmosphere and seeing young people get an education
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVApril 8, 2015
My work shift was from 6am til 2pm. My 1st two hours were cleaning bathrooms,then dustmop floors and run the floor scrubbing machine in the hallways.Take a break,then I clean windows til lunch,1/2 hour.After lunch I would pull trash on two floors and take it outside and empty it in the trash bin.By this time my shift would be over.On my job I learned discipline and how to schedule my day.My Supervisor and I got along very well,because I Knew how to follow instructions.I got along with my co-workers quite well,I believe it was mostly due to the fact that I worked alone.Several times I supervised stripping and waxing operations and got along well with the other workers.The hardest part of my job was scheduling my work to fit the hours of the students classes,because every semester the class hours changed.I enjoyed compliments from my supervisor,he even took me to lunch once! But the most enjoyment from my job was compliments that came from the staff and the students.
Pros
all Hollidays observed
Cons
short breaks
productive work environment
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMarch 17, 2015
Sitting at a desk at front door collecting student ID cards before they went upstairs for visitation. Responsible for having each person sign in and out of the building. Work was normally quiet with more traffic during weekends.
Probably my all time favorite job
Gym/Fitness Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMarch 14, 2015
Flexible to the needs of students. Great management and awesome people! Would work there again any day! It was a disappointment that my position was only part-time, but it was a great way to get involved and make new connections.
Pros
Awesome people!
Cons
only worked part-time
Education
o Full-time Student (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVDecember 1, 2014
Academically opposed to athletically, it is a great place to achieve an education.
Great
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVOctober 25, 2014
Awesome place to work and inter for, the people are great. Don't expect to get paid if you are an intern though.
Pros
the people
Cons
pay
Friendly environment to work in and friendly co workers
Teaching Instructor (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVOctober 19, 2014
I was responsible for a total of fifty students in my Speech Communication class. 25 each in a class but we average 20 students during class time. I thought Mondays and Wednesdays for a total of 3 hours. Class was always fun since it was an interactive class.The most enjoyable part of my work is when am able to get the best out my students as a result of team work. Not only do i teach them but i get to learn from them as well.
Helped other students with their classes
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVOctober 14, 2014
I assisted students with homework on subjects ranging in: Math, Biology, English, and Criminal Justice. Most of the demand for assistance was in math.
Pros
Decent Money for the Job
Cons
Less than forty hours of work