West Virginia State University Employee Reviews

Alright Place to work, It's worth a try for students looking for a work study position.
Residence Life Work Study Employee (Current Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 9, 2016
Excellent day to day work cycle, slow at times, but that allowed me to catch up on any homework I had to do before class. Management could use some better oversight, but they did try to be involved in daily operations. My co-workers were fellow students at times they would not hold their position seriously.
A Backwards College in University's Clothes
Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVOctober 21, 2015
A regional teaching institution, with no real research requirements. Any publication will be sufficient for tenure, including a letter to the editor. Expect a 4/4 load, great benefits, and decent facilities. Faculty and staff have to pay to use a gym, however, and there are other marks of a small college with university pretensions. Middle management can vary widely in quality. Going through much transition and lots of turnover.
Pros
Comfortable Working Environment with Low Expectations
Cons
Transition and Chaos beside a chemical plant in West Virginia
Fun
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WvAugust 19, 2015
I enjoyed working for the university. It was a bit of a challenge at first giving the fact of the university going through so many changes.
good place to make some extra cash
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 20, 2015
this was just a work study job. it was easy and it gave time to sit and do work while at work to kill two birds with one stone. all i had to do was watch the computer lab
New Administration is HORRIBLE
TRiO Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 2, 2015
Run as fast as you can if you're considering working for this institution. When the new president came in, he changed the school from an institution of higher learning where students come first to a cash cow where students and employees both were just statistics.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Long hours, poor compensation, indifferent administration, NO work/life balance
very Business oriented
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVApril 28, 2015
I learded how to approach customers, and how to explain any account balances they may have. My co-workers were great people.
Friendly working atmosphere and seeing young people get an education
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVApril 8, 2015
My work shift was from 6am til 2pm. My 1st two hours were cleaning bathrooms,then dustmop floors and run the floor scrubbing machine in the hallways.Take a break,then I clean windows til lunch,1/2 hour.After lunch I would pull trash on two floors and take it outside and empty it in the trash bin.By this time my shift would be over.On my job I learned discipline and how to schedule my day.My Supervisor and I got along very well,because I Knew how to follow instructions.I got along with my co-workers quite well,I believe it was mostly due to the fact that I worked alone.Several times I supervised stripping and waxing operations and got along well with the other workers.The hardest part of my job was scheduling my work to fit the hours of the students classes,because every semester the class hours changed.I enjoyed compliments from my supervisor,he even took me to lunch once! But the most enjoyment from my job was compliments that came from the staff and the students.
Pros
all Hollidays observed
Cons
short breaks
productive work environment
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMarch 17, 2015
Sitting at a desk at front door collecting student ID cards before they went upstairs for visitation. Responsible for having each person sign in and out of the building. Work was normally quiet with more traffic during weekends.
Probably my all time favorite job
Gym/Fitness Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMarch 14, 2015
Flexible to the needs of students. Great management and awesome people! Would work there again any day! It was a disappointment that my position was only part-time, but it was a great way to get involved and make new connections.
Pros
Awesome people!
Cons
only worked part-time
Education
o Full-time Student (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVDecember 1, 2014
Academically opposed to athletically, it is a great place to achieve an education.
Great
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVOctober 25, 2014
Awesome place to work and inter for, the people are great. Don't expect to get paid if you are an intern though.
Pros
the people
Cons
pay
Friendly environment to work in and friendly co workers
Teaching Instructor (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVOctober 19, 2014
I was responsible for a total of fifty students in my Speech Communication class. 25 each in a class but we average 20 students during class time. I thought Mondays and Wednesdays for a total of 3 hours. Class was always fun since it was an interactive class.The most enjoyable part of my work is when am able to get the best out my students as a result of team work. Not only do i teach them but i get to learn from them as well.
Helped other students with their classes
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVOctober 14, 2014
I assisted students with homework on subjects ranging in: Math, Biology, English, and Criminal Justice. Most of the demand for assistance was in math.
Pros
Decent Money for the Job
Cons
Less than forty hours of work
fun but can also be stressful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJune 10, 2014
fun place to study. small but very beautiful campus. typical workday depends on the lab you are working with. some can be very stressful, involving a lot of field work. you have the opportunity of having hands on experience with advanced equipment as all the labs are well equipped and funded.
Productive and flexible work place
Busi & Economics Dept. Lab/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMarch 6, 2014
It was a very laid back easy going work environment.I worked with a great set of people and the work life balance was very good.
Long Hours
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVNovember 5, 2013
No benefits
Opens your eyes to things outside of WV
Experience with kids
West Virginia State University
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Institute, WVAugust 21, 2013
A typical day for me would include teaching business classes. I focus on all aspects of business, including finance, forecasting and statistics. I also spend a lot of time advising students on their future.

I learn different things daily. Cultural differences amongst students and coworkers are things I enjoy learning. I have learned how to work with so many different people at WVSU.

The hardest part of my job would have to be meeting the needs of so many different students in such a short amount of time. I make certain to try and reach everyone I come in contact with.

The most enjoyable aspect of my job is simple. I get to be a part of people's growth as professionals. Many students keep in contact with me upon graduation. They tell me of the strides they make. They thank me for things that I may not have even realized I had done for them. It is quite rewarding.
Pros
Great hours, intrinsic rewards
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement
Relaxing workplace with people-meeting opportunities
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVJuly 31, 2013
Working for the English department's computer lab was, while not difficult, occasionally stressful. For the most part, though, it was quite relaxing. The position itself is only open to students, and it was nice to find out that it allows time to work on upcoming projects. Since peoples are constantly entering and leaving, it also offers much in the way of conversation for the people persons.

However, most of the equipment in use is horrendously out of date by technology standards. This is no real fault of the department, though, and is mostly due to lack of funding from the university itself.
Pros
Ample time to finish school work
Cons
Odd shifts, outdated equipment
Good place to work. Great environment. Very reasonable supervisors
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMay 26, 2013
A typical work day includes, filing, faxing, answering phones, and data entry.
I learned how to communicate with diverse groups of people and excel in Microsoft programs.
Pros
Computer lab. Tools to be effective in any work goal.
Cons
Short breaks. Little job stability. No pay advances
Growing University with major plans in athletics
Social Media Coordinator for Athletics (Former Employee) –  Institute WVMarch 18, 2013
Great new coaches that are doing a stellar job with student-athletes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Virginia State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3