West Virginia University Hospital Employee Reviews

Great Employer
Registered Nurse Employee Health (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 6, 2017
Enjoy this facility greatly.
Leadership is great, awesome about continuing education.
Currently in FNP program and facility has been flexible with schedule
Pros
friendly, caring
Cons
parking
Clinical Laboratory
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 17, 2017
Spend days reporting patient results, maintaining equipment, troubleshooting instruments, and performing quality control.

Coworkers are helpful and work together to provide the best patient care possible.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Little challenge and opportunities for advancement
wvuh
Helping others
competitive pay.
reinbersment for school
free parking
Cons
sometimes no breaks high stress
great place
Certified Surgical Technologist III (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVNovember 30, 2015
great docs and nurses learning friendly professional great teams
no weekends or holidays decent pay level 1 trauma small town great access and patient care
Pros
experienced
Review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 30, 2015
It is a great place to work and learn. The team work is great. Learning opportunities abound as it is a teaching hospital and level 1 trauma center as well as being magnet recognized.
Pros
Co-workers
a great place to work
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 27, 2015
-management really cares about what I had to say.
-very supportive staff
-flexible scheduling
-free charge nurse to assist when I got overwhelmed
Patient and their families is my first priority
Cardiovascular and Interventional Technologist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 11, 2015
Enjoy my job and helping patients. Overall most of my co-workers are fun to be around. Decent amount of politics which can become frustrating at times.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 14, 2015
Good place to work. Atmosphere is good while working and very laid back. You're expected to be able to do your job correctly and on a timely basis.
Politically incorrect
Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 8, 2015
Very complicated and political process of getting interviewed, processed, hired, and possibly accepted by your coworkers - unless your new boss warns everyone that you are "used to being in charge and should not be allowed to ask for help".
team work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 12, 2015
Most of the staff worked well together. Clinic could see as many as 80 pts per day most of which were seen regularly and knew on a first name basis. I always enjoyed working with the peds and group home pts. Although i find it difficult to give a trusting child an injection but love the smile after rewarding them with a sticker or lollipop.
Pros
Getting weekends off
Cons
Lack of staff
Coworkers are lifelong friends
Night Shift Medical Technologist Generalist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 8, 2015
Not only did I work at WVU Hospital for 8 years but was educated at the Health Science Center. Having had my schooling and first job experience there -I assumed all hospitals had programs equal to WVU. My opinion now being away from WV is that I am fortunate to have had the great education and professional work experience that I did. The Med Tech program prepared me for a competitive world in health care better than I had ever imagined. The continuous learning environment that employees at WVU hospital are exposed to daily is wonderful. The team atmosphere where every employee is important to the improvement of each patient is unmatched. Because once a mountaineer, always a mountaineer - employees care about each other and the system works to the patient's benefit.
Pros
Continuous Learning Environment, Great Coworker Relationships, Best Equipment and Instruments on the Market, Knowledgeable Employees, Feeling of Teamwork throughout the Hospital
Cons
Parking difficult for Employees on WVU game day
Hospital is growing and therefore will continue to have many job opportunities
Environmental Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVFebruary 8, 2015
Learned self awareness and how to work with difficult co-workers.
The pay-scale is lower than the competing hospitals around. On the positive, the hospital is continuing to grow at a great rate and will provide many more opportunities
great benefits
RN (Former Employee) –  morgantown, wvAugust 25, 2014
Benefits are wonderful, plenty of resources, and many of options to choose from for experience
Pros
resources, options
Cons
location
Clinical Associate
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 23, 2014
A typical day can range from a high pace, high flow day. Consisting with a lot of interaction with the needs services of your patients. On the other hand, you may have low flow or a mixture of both depending on the volume of patients discharge or admitted. Your day starts with receiving the report from the previous employee and interacting with the patients and/or the patients' guests and checking for changes within your report, Next, meeting and assisting the needs of patient including toilette, consumption, and general service. Following your service, you're required to data entry activity, consumption, toilette, changes that occur with that patient, vital, and the collection of some lab specimens or measurements. Including reporting to the nurse you're work under.
Management is helpful, attempting to keep the CA's consistent with the rule and regulation of healthcare involving the assistants, and require for them to maintain or improve their appearance based on the policies set by the upper levels of nursing and the hospital. See and meet all patients needs in a timely fashion, accuracy record patients information, and stay up to date on the hospital training refresher courses.
Your co worker will make or break you at this job. While asking for help is the hardest for most it could maintain you longevity and health at this job. It's like a coin flip when working, because the co workers can boast your morale or break it. Allow for you to ease the burden of difficult patient tasks or complicate the task.
Dealing with people and looking into to your own mortality
  more... is the hardest thing about this job. The work is hard but people can make it worse much worse. Also, seeing some of these patient in their most weaken state, with some idea of their formal self, may cause you to doubt your own health..
However, dealing with people and learning the possible direction to take if you would like to advance your career is the most enjoyable part of this job. People from all walks of life have came to this job and used it as a stepping stone to find a career that suits their needs. As for dealing with people; you may find yourself interacting with formal patients or families and receiving thanks for your service. The fact that you see them in a bar, store, or etc. but are getting around without your help or assistant is possibly the most rewarding part of this job..
Pros
Free coffee, fast pace environment, rewarding experience, benefits
Cons
patient or patient's guest complications, sometime a heavy work load, help may not be readily available
Fast paced direct patient care
Clinical Associate - Oncology and Hematology (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 16, 2014
A typical day of work consists of providing safe and direct patient care to a set assigned number of patients. This assignment usually ranges from 6 to 12 patients. As a clinical associated I work closely with the LPN and RNs assigned to the same patients in order to carry out all necessary and vital functions for quality patient care. Clinical Associates are responsible for obtaining vitals per orders, reporting abnormal values, documenting vitals and intake/output, safely ambulating patients, providing AM care and encouraging independence/integrating strengths, maintaining a safe environment and reducing the risk of infection, emptying drains, foleys, changing ostomy appliances, collecting specimens and sending them to the lab, collecting and reporting blood glucose levels. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with patients and their families. The patients really appreciate the care I provide for them. My co-workers make it a great place to continue to grow as part of team. When I walk onto the floor at the beginning of the day I feel motivated to do my best for the patients and when I leave at the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment.
Great place to learn for new grads
Registered Nurse - Staff - Cardiac Step Down (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 15, 2014
No complaints. Awesome work environment with great staff and management
Pros
Pay, Staff, Management, teaching hospital
fast paced,great people,lerning experience
Catering Lead (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 15, 2014
first thing i would go get catering event book , assign events to be delivered. then me catering lead would help and make sure the deliveries were ready,setup and ready for delivery. I would have to make sure other caters as well as myself used proper time managment skills while on deliveries. We delivered almost 30 deliveries a day. Ater deliveries we would stock setup other events. i had my own key .While other caters set up events I would go to office talk to boss aboutany changes to new events .I get catering schedule book i would put newevents in book and make sure all events that were scheduled the changes were made as needed. (example the customer changes amount of people or date or time of event) if customer changedtime i had to refigure the weights of food so chef could make his changes on his stock order. I was incharge of making sure events had proper food amounts bye each dish for the chef. After lunch we would pick up events as scheduled clean up dishedput away everything and deliver more event for afternoon meetings.
I learned time management ,how to deal with different issues with empolyees such as different personalities and customers happiness. I learned bookkeeping how to do weighs on food ,so they have enough. I have great customer service skills. mycoworkers were amazing all great workers. the hardest part of job was trying to be supervisor people older than me .It was very trying but I handled it well. the most enjoyable part of job was the wonderful people I would meet and the customers were very satisfied with their orders.
Pros
I learned alot
Cons
stressful at times
Clinical Assistant
Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 21, 2014
Performed duties of a clinical assistant such as helping patients to and from their beds. Assist with bathing and linen changes. Received no assistance from RN's. Had very little help from other clinical assistants. Also was hired for day shift, was moved to midnight shift with no possible change of shift.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
no assistance
I really enjoyed my profession
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  morgantown wvMarch 3, 2014
WVUH does not care about their employees. My job of 17 years was given to someone else who had just started because I choose to stay at the bedside of my dying husband.
My job
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 4, 2013
I love the environment and the ability to learn so much information from the coworkers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Virginia University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

West Virginia University Hospital Reviews by Location