West Virginia University Hospitals Employee Reviews in United States

Alot is expected out of the employees, but the pay isn't the best. There really is no place for advancement in certain departments
Dietetic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 25, 2016
A typical day use to be exciteing and enjoyable, but now because of poor management, management not holding people accountable to do their own work, call offs day and poor attitude from directors and managers, poor attitudes are reflected from several employees because no one seems to care about anything.
Fast-paced work environment that could use improved communication and more competitive compensation.
Nutrition Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 29, 2015
I worked with WVUH for three years in the Nutrition Services Department. The job overall was tolerable and often even enjoyable, though there is no real room for advancement and the salary compensation is not in line with the cost-of-living in that area. Management could also improve communication with staff in the department, as well as with management and staff in other departments to improve both the quality of the work environment and the successful day to day operation of the organization. Patient interaction is often the most rewarding part of the job for sure.
Productive, educational and fun place to work
Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 13, 2015
Lots of room for growth, very educational, wonderful coworkers, lots of opportunity to work with public
Pros
great coworkers, wonderful hours
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 2, 2014
A typical day was full of hugs and I love you's, with a room full of 20 three and four year olds. I have learned how to manage a room full of children, enter schedules, submit weekly lesson plans, monthly newsletters, and answer emails and phone calls. The hardest part about my job is telling a parent that their child needs special services. The most enjoyable part, and the reason I have enjoyed my job, is helping children grow and learn.
Fast-paced atmosphere!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 12, 2014
In the healthcare field, it's extremely fast-paced with extremely strict employee policies. Pros were the benefits and employee recognition.
X-Ray
X-RAY TECHNOLOGIST ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 18, 2014
This was buy far the best job I ever had! I worked in X-Ray and I loved it. I worked midnight shift.
Great place
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 9, 2014
This is a great place to work. If you like helping others and working with others then this is the place for you!
Magnet Hospital and Trauma Center- Operating Room Experience
Perioperative Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVFebruary 21, 2014
The OR at WVUH was split between two floors. 2-West usually did most of the elective and general surgeries, smaller and less complicated procedures, while 5-North seemed to consist of organized chaos. Walking through the halls you could hear drills being used, the faint smell of flesh burning, beepers and phones ringing, and yet somehow this was an everyday lifestyle. It was peaceful. It was what drove us. A typical day began a large cup of coffee from our lounge, followed by a morning meeting to catch the assignments for the day, making sure my wireless phone was posted in every room and was fully charged. Waiting for calls was like waiting for a ticking time bomb, when a doctor needed something, they needed it now. Equipment and Jackson-Pratt beds constantly roamed the halls looking for their homes in the perspective operating rooms. Sterile fields were being maintained while patients arrived. and then surgery began. I ever knew what type of call I was going to receive, what errand I needed to run, where I needed to take this above the knee amputation. It was always a surprise. The hardest part of the job was learning to prioritize between every room and surgery, creating time management and becoming efficient at how I did it. As the surgery was over, the operating room was left empty with the sounds of the anesthesia monitors beeping, blanket rolls, and enough debris on the floor to fill a landmine. Tearing down was just getting starting. I liked to work as a team, helping each other clean the rooms and taking surgical instruments downstairs to processing, setting the room  more... back up for the next surgery. It was quite a feat. Knowing your next move was crucial, but the unthinkable could occur at anytime and it always did. Countless times, with a full OR, we received a trauma that was brought up immediately for surgery. This could mean life or death. Everyone worked together. I fetched blood from the blood bank, warm blankets, warm fluids, sterile instruments and packages. All the while waiting to see what and how the doctors and nurses were going to save this persons' life. The most enjoyable part of experiencing this job for me was understanding that every single person played an integral part in a surgery of someones life, that hopefully changed their life for the better. Maybe I wasn't performing surgery, but I got to see it and take part in saving someones life, and that is an amazing thing to witness. Each job is what you personally make of it. The work may be tough, it may be strenuous, and there may be times where you just do not want to do it that day, but when I sit and think about the lives that I can touch through health care, all that changes. It makes me want to be better. And this job taught me that.  less
Lead Dietetic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 25, 2013
• Ensured that patients were well nourished while sustaining their prescribed diet.
• Provided excellent customer service while building relationships with patients
• Supervised a group of six fellow dietetic assistants to ensure proper coverage and care of patients.
Pros
great leadership experience
Helped patiences with billing matters
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 4, 2013
I worked with patience who did not have insurance work on finding methods to handle paying for their medical treatment. I worked with patience who had addictions and were in the hospital for help voluntarily as well as involuntarily.
Pros
the staff of medical professionals i worked with helped me in my job.
Cons
no upward mobility.

Want to know more about West Virginia University Hospitals?

Ask a question
Awesome place to work
Registered Nurse, Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 16, 2013
Working at a trauma hospital in the operating room was fascinating. I learned and experienced so much being there. Our manager was always assisting any way she could to keep you comfortable and happy there. I was sent through all of the rotations from ENT, Ortho, General, Gyne, and robotic room. The hardest part was leaving the job. Unfortunately the drive was getting to me, so I needed a position closer.
Pros
free classes
Great place to work! Continuing education, patient-centered care, evidence-based practice, and patient safety and well being are highly valued.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 15, 2013
This hospital has been a great place to start my career in the nursing world. The staff and patients are all receptive to new nurses and students. Preventative treatment and patient education is highly stressed at this facility. If you want to be proactive rather than a reactive RN and aspire to be more than a "box-checker" nurse, I would recommend this hospital. It seems like the staff genuinely cares about the patients they care for.
Review Summary
Former management employee (Former Employee) –  managementJanuary 31, 2013
A lot of issues in management -- poor leadership. Culture was untrustworthy, hostile, and verbally abusive at management level. Health insurance is limited to only WVU phyisicans and the hospital. If
WVUH was an incredible experience.
Licensed Student Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 24, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed working for WVUH. Everyone was very cooperative and made my experience there a great one.
Pros
pay, people
Terrible company with terrible leaders
HR (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJanuary 1, 2013
You know there is a problem when many employees complain about being harassed and nothing happens!
Very busy workplace with multiple things going on at once
Computed Tomography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 9, 2012
My time in this department was very educational. I like my job and the people I worked with very much. The hardest part of my job was watching patients get worse. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be enteracting with the patoents. I learned a lot about computed tomography ni the years I worked there. I would say that management needs a little work. I overall loved my job here.
supportive teamwork ongoing service excellence
RN III (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 18, 2012
diversivied placee to work, room to grow and develope,. Alot of upper management changes.
Pros
progressive enviornment always room for growth
Cons
management is judge, jury and executioner, your voice never heard
Great teaching hospital
RESIDENT CHAPLAIN (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 22, 2012
Many opportunities to learn & grow professionally.
Schedules can be gruelling.
Health insurance could only be used at few hospitals.
Pros
excellent learning environment
Cons
life controlling schedule