West Virginia University Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Lab Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 17, 2016
Enjoyed working with the researchers. Liked caring for the animals and being pro-active in maintaining inventory and supplies. Worked with the doctors one-on-one.
International Admission Assistant
International Admission Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 13, 2016
I do calls to students from counties outside of USA to provide information and assist them applying for WVU.

I promote WVU on social media platforms in other language for students getting better understanding of WVU's culture.

I helped my department interview new employees.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
Limited career development
great
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 12, 2016
I like West Virginia University and Morgantown at West Virginia. The faculty at WVU are excellent and very friendly and have excellent facilities. Thank you
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 29, 2016
Working at WVU was very productive and enjoyable with wonderful coworkers who created a very positive workplace. I truly enjoyed working here.
Good working conditions
Campus Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 19, 2016
Good place to work, reasonable salary. There are good people to work with, and the benefits package is excellent. There is also a chance to move to other positions.
Great school, awesome overall experience.
IT Tech (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVAugust 17, 2016
The environment taught me a lot. Management and fellow employees were great people and very knowledgeable. The pay wasn't what I needed which prompted me to move on from this position. This was mostly about the convenience since I was a student during my employment.
I love teaching in the Online IMC Master's program
Adjunct Instructor - Online/Part time (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 3, 2016
The best part of the teaching experience in the West Virginia University Integrated Marketing Communications program is the depth and quality of student interactions. A very close second is the support received from the administration and other adjunct faculty members.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 2, 2016
I worked as a graduate assistant for WVU during my MBA. It was a fantastic experience and I was able to learn a lot from my office during my time there. They were flexible with my school schedule and understanding of the busy life a graduate student leads. WVU was a great place to study and a fulfilling place to work as a GA.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
Great Assistantship
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 30, 2016
I love working for WVU while obtaining my DMA. It is tough to juggle life and school but it's worth it. My assistantship includes group piano for undergraduates. I teach between two and four classes per semester and may have a few private lessons as well. It is the highest paying assistantship I have ever had. Full copier benefits :). It is great experience in the teaching field that is much needed in today's competitive job area.
Pros
Tuition Off
Cons
Added work load to DMA
Very challenging
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 25, 2016
It was challenging as I was an international student, new to America and I was working individually and it wasn't official, and mainly with fellow international students.
Stressful, but productive
Hand tossed (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WV 26506July 13, 2016
A typical day at work was taking 100 calls a day to answer questions about student accounts. I learned about BB&T processing and many other sites. the coworkers were awesome and very helpful and the management was just as helpful!
fun experience while in school
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 6, 2016
worked doing work studies

did little odd jobs around the campus

worked at chick fil a on campus

co workers were diverse

it was a friendly environment

the best part about the job was the free food I bought home every night
Pros
free food, keep money while in school
Cons
pay wasnt that great
The management of the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion leaves a lot to be desired. The commitment to end social injustices is lacking.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 13, 2016
Management is not trustworthy, they will lie to you and not think twice about it. Co-workers are great. They try to stay positive but they do not like or trust management. Dealing with "politique" management that talks out of both sides of their mouth is the hardest part of the job. The best part of the job is actually trying to correct social injustices as best as the management allows. But because the DDE&I is an agent of WVU, its primary goal is keeping the University out of trouble, not advancing social justice.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Obstructionist management
About what you'd expect for student work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 12, 2016
I've worked as a stagehand for Arts and Entertainment, and for three different professors. Each professor has their own expectations, of course, but they generally don't mind being a bit flexible, as student workers clearly have a lot of other stuff going on.

I'm continuing my current assignment until completion later this month, and it has largely gone well. I've been able to work from home and generally set my own hours, which can help creativity, for me.
Pros
Flexibility, interesting work
Cons
Working around schoolwork obligations
Great place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WV 26505May 27, 2016
This university is outstanding and they really do care about their students. Working for them was a great experience. They have something for everyone
Wvu
Assistant Director Information Technology Services (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 19, 2016
I enjoy working with a diverse group of IT individuals who all work together to create things that happen. Desktop Management as well as Desk side support is a challenging, yet rewarding experience. My staff are number one when it comes to efficiency as well as customer service.
Pros
work hours, location.
Cons
Job not secure for anyone, re-orgs
Not many permanent positions
Grant Manager (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 5, 2016
Hard to get a permanent position within the University because of budget shortfalls in the state. Temporary positions are not compensated in line with qualifications and work expectations.
Pros
Flexable
Cons
Low salaries
N/a
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAApril 27, 2016
N/A
Good job. Programming all the time. Very fulfilling job. Good co-workers. Lots of review and study. Motivating job
work work work
Positive
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 15, 2016
General administrative processes within a Higher Educational facility
I have been with WVU approximately 20 years in various positions. Very team oriented and a "family" atmosphere at WVU. Sometimes, short staffed from budget cuts which makes more stress on the ones who are trying to do it all. Overall, a great place to work within Morgantown, WV
Pros
flexible
Cons
have to pay for parking
Great professors
FBI Biometrics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 31, 2016
They were very understanding and helpful with any problems. Did not hesitate to explain things twice if needed. Many of the workers are students therefor relate able to everybody's situation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Virginia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4