WestAmerica Bank Employee Reviews

Teller II (Former Employee) –  Marin County, CAJuly 6, 2017
The company loves its people. They will definitely help you grow and you will learn a lot from management. There is a lot of opportunity to move up the field. Westamerica Bank is a great place if you want a career in banking.
Pros
work and life balance, great 401k
Cons
Starter job to gain skills
Central Service Clerk/Technical Support (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 28, 2017
Westamerica is behind times, outdated systems, and very low pay with limited pay increases. Coworkers are good and all work as a team. They had not given raises for 6 years consecutively due to poor economy but work duties continue to grow.
Pros
Nice vacation
Cons
Low compensation, no advancement
I got lucky
Teller III- Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJune 27, 2017
I was brand new to banking and my manager had just been hired on just before me. Great Team! Even though i don't agree with all that went on within the bank i am thankful for the experience and knowledge i gained both good an dbad.
The left hand doesnt know what the right is doing
Central Services Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Suisun City, CAJune 22, 2017
Disorganized, outdated, underappreciated, mundane, stagnant, underpaid, and uninspired. I learned no relevant skills here. They teach you enough to get the job done and leave it at that. Zero room for personal growth and even if you are ambitious enough to climb through the ranks, poor training and communication make even basic tasks taxing.
Pros
My shift is over at 5 and I can leave
Cons
I cannot get the time I put into this place back
Would be a great place to work if pay was better
Teller III (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJune 16, 2017
The job itself was great. I loved building relationships with regular customers and the duties of a bank teller. Friendly competitions between branches were often created to encourage sales.

Each branch location is different but at my specific one, management wasn't easy to deal with. Training should have been more thorough. Lunches would be taken late and even cut short because of poor scheduling and lack of employees. Second breaks were even missed. The turnover rate and salary were definitely the hardest part of the job to deal with.
Branch Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 23, 2017
Pay is responsible, hours are great. Bank closes at 4. Closed on weekends. Get to know customers by name. Easy system to learn. Friendly co workers. Great place to work
great company to work for
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 13, 2017
I love the people i worked with and the values of this company. They strive to better service their clients needs and their employees. Westamerica Bank was one of the best experience of my life, not only did I grow as a stronger business woman, I became more out going and personable. Thank you Capitol branch.
Pros
Vacation time, team work, kind people
ok
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 21, 2017
too much politics, managers are pretty stiff. pay is low, not much room for growth.

it s pretty much like a prison. too bad that they do not know how to manage people. lots of gossipers .
Great management/upper management team and coworkers
Central Service Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 2, 2017
This was my first banking job and the management team in this department was very patient and understanding to my learning process. Never did they rush me or expect me to know everything right away. They considered every question I had, always knew the right answer, and always gave me a thorough and detailed explanation. Aside from being very professional and knowledgeable, the management in NSF showed a lot of compassion and honest concern to their employees. It was a very hard decision to leave because after spending a year in this department, we all felt like family. Everyone in NSF is very experienced and always willing to help (that includes everyone and every department in the company!). I don't feel I spent enough time with the company to review the Bank as a whole; but things outside of this department led me to my decision to leave.
Pros
Great Management and upper management team, good benefits, great retirement plan
Cons
Salary
You learn many things about banking
Management, loans, etc.. (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAFebruary 28, 2017
This bank use to be very family oriented. In the past 15 years the higher ups stopped caring about their employees. It's sad. The employees didn't get raises for over five years even though WAB is one of the most profitable and healthiest bank, for its size, in the United States. They took away Christmas parties and summer parties. The things that show employees that they matter. The managers are over worked and spend a lot of time convincing employees that they have it good so they don't leave. There is no human compassion. So many rules are broken and people turn a blind eye. It takes an act of God to get a raise or even a "good job". If you are someone that needs positive feed back this is not the company for you. You can learn so much but if you voice an opinion then you are considered a trouble maker. It wasn't like this years ago. If you want good training this is a great place to start a banking career. The customers are great and if you are a self starter and a good sales person you'll be fine. Remember though that you are trying to sell things to customers that they can get free from other banks. WAB sells their great customer service!! Which they do have!! They are better than most banks!! What would be great is if WAB treated their employees as well as their customers. I hope this was helpful!! I do like WAB I just think some changes need to be made!! The CEO needs to change with the times and realize that in the long run it's less money to keep people than to train and rehire constantly!! Also the customers love to see the same faces. Come on WAB get it together!!  more... I'm pulling for you!! There are a lot of oldies but goodies that you don't want to lose just because you can't tell them "great job"!! I'm cheering for you!! I know you can turn this around!!  less
Pros
Job security, great co-workers, great 401k, great vacation policy!
Cons
Too much gossip, ran with an iron fist, pay not with in industry standards, not enough appreciation.
No room for advancement
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Healdsburg, CAFebruary 24, 2017
No room for advancement behind the times in technology making you job mundane. Upper management do not care about employees and encourage suspect sales techniques. However, all other employees are quiet enjoyable to work for. Raises are suspended but the CEO gave out a dividend one of the years i worked there when he is share holder I remember calculating it at the time he basically gave himself a $300k Christmas bonus.
Underwhelming and settling
BRANCH SERVICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJanuary 31, 2017
Little advancement poor compensation cool people. Hard to get promoted. Bad corporate culture. 9 to 5 little stress preside of work womith high sales goals understanding management of slow business.
Productive and fun working environment
Customer Service and New Accounts Rep. (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 29, 2017
Fun workplace, you' ll always have interesting people to
talk to ! Management was great, you'll learn a lot from
your manager. The hardest part of the job probably when
couple of people calls in sick and the branch is super busy!
Pros
great perks, extra holidays
Choose another bank
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Marin County, CAJanuary 15, 2017
This bank is technologically way behind the times. If you are used to and like technology in the workplace, don't work here. Lots of manual processes and a ton of paper every day. Binders galore that need to be maintained with paper updates. In Marin County, there is a major staffing crisis that puts a lot of pressure on people. The regional management has been with the bank since the dawn of time with virtually no other work experience, so they're pretty attached to their ways and take criticism personally. If you are interested in getting into banking you could start here and learn a lot, and they do put you through a lot of training. Though there is a disconnect between working in the branches and the training they provide at their headquarters. The pay is relatively low. You could do better in another bank for sure You could start here but would be better off taking your experience elsewhere in my opinion.
Pros
Some autonomy, decent benefits, training provided
Cons
Short staff CRISIS in Marin County. Punitive disciplinary culture, technologically decades behind
Nice Customers
Teller (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work would be processing deposits and withdrawals, talking with customers to help them sign up for new accounts and I would do any back office filing for the bank. I learned how to work under pressure. The management was very friendly and very helpful. My co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of my job was to sell credit cards to customers who were not interested in having a credit card. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to learn about the different products that the bank offered to customers.
i love it!
central services clerk II (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CADecember 6, 2016
I like working here everyone is very nice and understanding. I am the youngest worker but they dont hold that against me. i work four hours which is understandable
productive
Teller II (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 25, 2016
The job experience is nice, to have gotten, to know about the banking industry was an unforgettable experience. The employees and management were all great to work with
Pros
free breakfast, lunch etc
Cons
short breaks and not enough paid
Charge Off Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAOctober 10, 2016
A typical work day at my desk consist of balancing GL accounts . Assisting Officers with accounts that require documentations to support on going process. The hardest part about my job is when system does not work with me and it gets challenging to get any support. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get recognized for my efforts and job completed
Pros
Small company
Cons
Salary
Branch Service Officer/Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Mill Valley, CASeptember 12, 2016
This company trained me I had no banking experience the training was very thorough. I had many of opportunities to advance and was given a lot of responsibilities. It is because of my banking and sales experience given at the bank that enabled me to move on to a hiring paying job and I really appreciate them given me that opportunity and the years of service.
Pros
Great benefits, great opportunities to advance, and regular raises
Cons
As far as the pay you get to a point that you top out, it made it hard survive on just that income.
Not great to employees
Bank Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 18, 2016
This company cares more about making money than anything else. they treat their employees unfairly and they do not pay enough. They are not great at giving time off and they do not do bonuses.
Pros
travel expenses for oncall tellers
Cons
bad pay