Westar Energy Employee Reviews

Productive work environment
IT Configuration Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 30, 2017
Great place, great atmosphere, productive work environment, and great management. Typical work day was receiving good and doing a count, entering the data in the computer system. Also ensuring computers returned were wiped and no sensitive information is present on the drive.
Pros
free food, excellent benefits and pay
Cons
NONE
Good Pay and Benefits for Full-Time
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 10, 2016
The company pays great and benefits are good. Working in the call center can be stressful and has a high burn-out rate. It's very difficult to move up unless you are related to upper management or a hand selected young recent college graduate. Most advancement opportunities are not open to all employees. Most are only open to those invited to apply. Getting time off for a doctor's appointment can be very difficult because employees are limited to scheduling the appointment two hours at the beginning or end of your shift. This wasn't a problem for me, but for those with children, they may want to consider the lack of flexibility.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No flexibility, restrictive advancement opportunities
Great company to work for
Engineering Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 5, 2017
Great people and great company. excellent compensation and benefits. they promote from within a lot of the time. I was able to learn a lot and everyone was really helpful.
A very sound company
Call Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KsJanuary 30, 2017
Worked for 18 years, was able to be promoted several times, based on work experience and performance. Was a pleasure to work for them.
Pros
Excellant benefits
Cons
Not really any
Chauvinistic
Worker (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 22, 2016
The general mood in the General Office is very uptight. There seem to be a lot of unspoken rules. A lot of people were worried about doing some (minor) thing wrong and getting fired. Very much an old white guys club at the top and the next generation of leadership being groomed is also a boys club. Lots of cronyism.
The culture at the energy clubs has a frat boy feel. Every other word is the f bomb and there's a definite 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' sense about them. Don't bother speaking up about anything that needs improving, you will be dismissed as a troublemaker.
Very demanding job with good compensation/benefits
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 15, 2016
Westar Energy has long been known as a great employer. Unfortunately the culture has changed as demands have greatly increased on the employees. Moral is declining as generating units are shutting down and jobs are being eliminated or moved.
Professional work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 15, 2016
My typical day was data entry. My co-workers were helpful. My boss was an excellent teacher. Sometimes it was difficult for them to find work for me.
Pros
Free lunches with manufacturer representatives
Cons
Sometimes I had nothing to do which makes me complacent and uncomfortable.
Productive and knowledgeable workplace
Internship Program, Westar Energy (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSDecember 12, 2016
Working under the supervision of skilled journeymen, learning more skills and loving what I did every day. The employers were very nice and helpful getting me started with work.
Great job with exceptional pay and benifits.
Relay Tech II Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSMay 18, 2016
Never know what a standard day of work would be in the world of electricity. I have grown a tremendous amount in the 2 years of employment with Westar Energy. Great people to work around. The hardest part of the job is getting the training needed to succeed in the Relay Apprenticeship program.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Lack of up to date training on equipment and tools.
Great Opportunity to advanced my work ethic and knowledge
Meter Installer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 15, 2016
One of a kind job. Independently worked by myself on the job and consistently provided complete work responsibilities and great customer service.
Great job, with no room for advancement, no respect for employees from management except for certain few,
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  KansasFebruary 10, 2016
Read electric and gas meters
Learned nothing that would help with future employment
Management played favorites,
Most coworkers were great
Hardest part was the weather, and dogs
Enjoyable part was also the weather and dogs
Pros
pay, most customers were friendly
Cons
everything else
Good company and benefits
Analyst (Current Employee) –  KansasMarch 27, 2016
Overall a good place to work, people are friendly and easy to work with. Seems to be a good amount of corporate politics that get annoying though.
warehouse work was not organized the way it should of been
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 28, 2015
should of had more management in how they wanted things run correctly...They were not prepared as they should of been...It was a new contract for temp work that they were putting in new meters in all of wichita ks.. we had to set up ajnd organize how to do all of the meters that came out of old homes and businesses and new meters that were to go in
Well Managed with genuine concern for it's employees and customers
Various (Former Employee) –  Wichita, Ks.August 18, 2015
For a Company the size of Westar Energy, I felt like they did a pretty decent job of managing their business. They, like any Company have their issues with both management and employees, but they legitimately seem to be proactive in trying to fix them. My favorite part of the job, and also the hardest, was managing storm restoration when thousands of Customers were without power. This required extensive hours without sleep, but once repairs had been made, they feeling of accomplishment was awesome. In the years I worked there, I never really got used to the phone ringing at night due to power outages, but then who did? Working with dynamic people made it seem alright. It was just part of the job that I was more than willing to accept.
Pros
Great pay and beneifits
Cons
Lots of work during unscheduled hours.
Loved the job, disliked the way it was ran.
CSR/Meter reader/Electric Serviceperson (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 12, 2013
Westar Energy was a great place to work, benefits and compensation wise, the work itself wasn't bad at all and I loved the work I did. The way the management runs the company isn't the way a company should be ran. They micromanage everyone until everyone has a very low moral. If you aren't in the "in crowd" you have no way of advancing at all. You will be stuck in the same position.
Pros
compensation, holidays, vacation
Cons
management
No two days are the same
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 1, 2015
Customers call to start, stop, or transfer electric service. They may also call to pay their bill or need help finding a payment center

Hardest part of the job was knowing a person's service may be disconnected because they weren't able to pay
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, great coworkers
Cons
half hour lunches when busy
needs to get back to being a utility company
Journeyman Lineman (Current Employee) –  Arkansas City, KSApril 7, 2016
good company when started 35 years ago, work ethics are dwindling fast, not what you can do,,its who you know, mangers with no experience in the field. employees only their for check no pride in the work
Pros
home
Fun workplace
Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 30, 2015
Fun workplace with great coworkers, but training is disorganized. Job description is not clearly outlined. Great pay and benefits.
Fast paced work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 5, 2013
As a CSR (customer service representative) for Westar Energy I speak with numerous people a day over the phone. I try to resolve any problems they may have and answer any questions pertaining to their account billing and electric service. I assist customers also trying to access their account online on our website. I am a bilingual CSR so I also take several Spanish calls throughout the day. I have learned how to maintain a professional attitude during each and every call regardless of the nature of the call. The most gratifying aspect of my job is when a customer is genuinely happy and thanking me for assisting them, it makes me feel good to know that I was able to do something to help them out.
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
quantity is valued over quality, our time is micromanaged to the point that we must report when we go to the bathroom.
Ok place to work if not for the rediculous management.
Worker (Former Employee) –  ManhattanApril 25, 2014
If you want to be micromanaged work here. It seems like you need to check in to go to the bathroom. As I had read in a previous review, it is so bad that everyone is afraid of making the wrong move and getting fired. It is no fun working like that!!!
Pros
Cons
Management is bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westar Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5