Westar Energy Employee Reviews

great people
Internship (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSOctober 6, 2017
the guys were vary helpful in teaching new guys eazy to get along with and all ways wanted the job done right. if you didnt know how to do something they would take the time to show and explane how and why it works
Excellent work place
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 27, 2017
Westar Energy is fair to their employees, maintains a good atmosphere. Work recommend working for Westar. The overall workforce at Westar has a common goal, to work together and provide a safe atmosphere.
Customer Account billing Service (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 12, 2017
My typical day at my job is fast paced. I work on customer accounts billing to make sure each account has billed correctly for their usage. I enjoy working with my co-workers.
Pros
Pros- helping my co-workers and the customers. Its rewarding for me.
Cons
Cons- not enough employees in my department .
Very hard to gain employment here
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  north wichitaJuly 19, 2017
Most aspects I enjoy and appreciate although do not like the way Westar used temporary employees. One temp has been here 8 years and doing a great job but they wont hire as permanent to receive better pay and benefits. So wrong.
Pros
treated to lunches, travel, etc
Cons
Not a very diverse culture at my location.
Substation Supervisor
Supervisor Substation Mechanical (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 19, 2017
Coordinate crews and work for largest region in company.
Respond to trouble calls and alarms.
Coordinate switching operations.
Respond to equipment failures and outages.
Work with Power Plants to provide equipment maintenance and Testing.
Work with System Operating Authority to respond to alarms and provide switchmen for various departments.
Operate within capital, maintenance and tool budges.
Be available 24/7 1 week a month for emergency response.
Start time 7 am end time 4:30, but more if necessary.
Visit employees in field, perform safety audits on vehicles, in buildings and on job sites.
Analyze Test Data on substation equipment.
Focus on team work.
Culture is difficult due to male domination and union "us vs. them" mentality.
Helping the community by providing reliable electricity is the best part of this job.
Highly productive employees and other supervisors that work as a team to accomplish a high volume of work is very rewarding and helps me enjoy my job.
Pros
Do not have to sit at a desk all day. Freedom move around, go in the field and do office work.
Cons
Huge time commitment. Flexibility to make plans is sometimes difficult unless I take vacation.
A workplace in tansition between old and new processes
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 14, 2017
Work at Westar can be both rewarding and frustrating. There are many changes, and a few significant impediments, in process. The most enjoyable part of working here is that they do have many competent and fun people working here. The frustrating part is that many decisions are made in a fairly non-transparent way.
Pros
good people.
Cons
lots of on-call on late nights
great place to work
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 2, 2017
Very strong company and enjoyable to work for. I relocated to be nearer spouses family after 25 years with this company. I would have been happy to have stayed for my entire career.
Great Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 6, 2017
Great Place to work. Great Pay, Great benefits & great company to work for. There are great people who run this company and would love to have you apply
They screwed up a massive acquisition
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 28, 2017
Due to the botched merger with KCP&L, this company is now viewed as a bad one to work for. Most of the people are good people but the way the entire corporate team kept hammering home that the deal was a sure thing really has turned off a lot of people. We went through the entire year long process that included new roles being laid out, people getting promotions and demotions, and people who chose not to join the new company and take a severance. Now the deal has failed and they expect everything to go back to normal, it's "business as usual" as they like to say. We won't really know what damage this abortion of a merger will create for a few months. Who knows, maybe the "For Sale" sign will go back up in the front yard and the whole process starts over again. That would be really good for employee morale.
Progressive utility
Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 14, 2017
Progressive utility with a financial focus. Management culture varied greatly based on the leader except all were on the same page for safety. A top employment choice in most areas of Kansas.
Pros
Promotion of community involvement and providing an important service to the communities they serve.
Cons
Unpredictable hours when storms effected the electrical system.
Productive work environment
IT Configuration Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 30, 2017
Great place, great atmosphere, productive work environment, and great management. Typical work day was receiving good and doing a count, entering the data in the computer system. Also ensuring computers returned were wiped and no sensitive information is present on the drive.
Pros
free food, excellent benefits and pay
A very sound company
Call Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KsJanuary 30, 2017
Worked for 18 years, was able to be promoted several times, based on work experience and performance. Was a pleasure to work for them.
Pros
Excellant benefits
Cons
Not really any
Great company to work for
Engineering Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 5, 2017
Great people and great company. excellent compensation and benefits. they promote from within a lot of the time. I was able to learn a lot and everyone was really helpful.
Professional work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 15, 2016
My typical day was data entry. My co-workers were helpful. My boss was an excellent teacher. Sometimes it was difficult for them to find work for me.
Pros
Free lunches with manufacturer representatives
Cons
Sometimes I had nothing to do which makes me complacent and uncomfortable.
Productive and knowledgeable workplace
Internship Program, Westar Energy (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSDecember 12, 2016
Working under the supervision of skilled journeymen, learning more skills and loving what I did every day. The employers were very nice and helpful getting me started with work.
Great Opportunity to advanced my work ethic and knowledge
Meter Installer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 15, 2016
One of a kind job. Independently worked by myself on the job and consistently provided complete work responsibilities and great customer service.
Controller Staff (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work consists of meetings, running lots of queries to obtain data, and compiling data into a format that summarizes information that is beneficial to the particular end user. There is some math involved, but the majority of the work has to do with turning numbers into a narrative.
Very demanding job with good compensation/benefits
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 15, 2016
Westar Energy has long been known as a great employer. Unfortunately the culture has changed as demands have greatly increased on the employees. Moral is declining as generating units are shutting down and jobs are being eliminated or moved.
Great job with exceptional pay and benifits.
Relay Tech II Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSMay 18, 2016
Never know what a standard day of work would be in the world of electricity. I have grown a tremendous amount in the 2 years of employment with Westar Energy. Great people to work around. The hardest part of the job is getting the training needed to succeed in the Relay Apprenticeship program.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Lack of up to date training on equipment and tools.
Good Pay and Benefits for Full-Time
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 10, 2016
The company pays great and benefits are good. Working in the call center can be stressful and has a high burn-out rate. It's very difficult to move up unless you are related to upper management or a hand selected young recent college graduate. Most advancement opportunities are not open to all employees. Most are only open to those invited to apply. Getting time off for a doctor's appointment can be very difficult because employees are limited to scheduling the appointment two hours at the beginning or end of your shift. This wasn't a problem for me, but for those with children, they may want to consider the lack of flexibility.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No flexibility, restrictive advancement opportunities