Westar Energy Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 30, 2015
Fun workplace with great coworkers, but training is disorganized. Job description is not clearly outlined. Great pay and benefits.
warehouse work was not organized the way it should of been
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 28, 2015
should of had more management in how they wanted things run correctly...They were not prepared as they should of been...It was a new contract for temp work that they were putting in new meters in all of wichita ks.. we had to set up ajnd organize how to do all of the meters that came out of old homes and businesses and new meters that were to go in
No two days are the same
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 1, 2015
Customers call to start, stop, or transfer electric service. They may also call to pay their bill or need help finding a payment center

Hardest part of the job was knowing a person's service may be disconnected because they weren't able to pay
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, great coworkers
Cons
half hour lunches when busy
Incredible learning experience
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, KS and LAwrence, KSSeptember 21, 2015
This internship gave me knowledge and experience which didn't know I would get from it. I was completely taken by surprise with how friendly everyone was and how enjoyable it was to work with them.
Pros
Friendly People, always something to do.
Cons
Few restaurants close by.
Rewarding and educational
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Independence, KSSeptember 20, 2015
Reading meters has allowed me to learn about the area and meet new people. It has also allowed me to learn about how electricity is supplied to people.
Well Managed with genuine concern for it's employees and customers
Various (Former Employee) –  Wichita, Ks.August 18, 2015
For a Company the size of Westar Energy, I felt like they did a pretty decent job of managing their business. They, like any Company have their issues with both management and employees, but they legitimately seem to be proactive in trying to fix them. My favorite part of the job, and also the hardest, was managing storm restoration when thousands of Customers were without power. This required extensive hours without sleep, but once repairs had been made, they feeling of accomplishment was awesome. In the years I worked there, I never really got used to the phone ringing at night due to power outages, but then who did? Working with dynamic people made it seem alright. It was just part of the job that I was more than willing to accept.
Pros
Great pay and beneifits
Cons
Lots of work during unscheduled hours.
Ok place to work if not for the rediculous management.
Worker (Former Employee) –  ManhattanApril 25, 2014
If you want to be micromanaged work here. It seems like you need to check in to go to the bathroom. As I had read in a previous review, it is so bad that everyone is afraid of making the wrong move and getting fired. It is no fun working like that!!!
Cons
management is bad
Loved the job, disliked the way it was ran.
CSR/Meter reader/Electric Serviceperson (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 12, 2013
Westar Energy was a great place to work, benefits and compensation wise, the work itself wasn't bad at all and I loved the work I did. The way the management runs the company isn't the way a company should be ran. They micromanage everyone until everyone has a very low moral. If you aren't in the "in crowd" you have no way of advancing at all. You will be stuck in the same position.
Pros
compensation, holidays, vacation
Cons
management
Fast paced work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 5, 2013
As a CSR (customer service representative) for Westar Energy I speak with numerous people a day over the phone. I try to resolve any problems they may have and answer any questions pertaining to their account billing and electric service. I assist customers also trying to access their account online on our website. I am a bilingual CSR so I also take several Spanish calls throughout the day. I have learned how to maintain a professional attitude during each and every call regardless of the nature of the call. The most gratifying aspect of my job is when a customer is genuinely happy and thanking me for assisting them, it makes me feel good to know that I was able to do something to help them out.
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
quantity is valued over quality, our time is micromanaged to the point that we must report when we go to the bathroom.
Review of Westar
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 21, 2013
Data entry, 10 key, multi task, multi line phones, fax, email, payments, being able to do the same thing over and over again every day but every day you learn something new, being able to bite your tongue when getting yelled at by a customer and being able to calm that customer down
Pros
pay, benefits, co workers
Cons
stress

Want to know more about Westar Energy?

Ask a question
Stability and Friendships
Computer Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 18, 2012
worked in a highly energized department that was fast-paced and enjoyable. I learned to be an effective leader there
Pros
fast-paced and systematic
Cons
layoff was unexpected