WESTAT Employee Reviews in United States

Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 29, 2016
I found Westat an excellent company to work for. There are numerous opportunities within the company for employment. Management demonstrated care and concern for their employees and were available and easy to reach. For my study I was not interacting with other Field Interviewers on a regular basis and I did miss having coworkers to share experiences with. The compensation package was excellent and there was plenty of opportunity to work overtime if you so desired. I especially enjoyed the personal interactions I had with my participants/clients. Training is fairly extensive and I felt well prepared for my tasks.
Pros
Interaction with the public
Cons
Working individually versus as a team
an equal opportunity place to work
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 2, 2016
A good company, good compensation, good management
My work experience with Westat took me all over the U.S.. It was a fun job with good support from the home office. Hardest part was driving through WY's winter snow storms. Loved meeting and working with new people all the time
Pros
a good 401 K plan
Cons
long spells without work
Great company to work for.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 28, 2016
I worked for this company 3 times. Each position was for a set amount of time for a particularly study. The last position was as a Back-Up employee, and they just did not need me anymore. The company took care of their people when they were on the road (job requires continuous travel). You became close to the other team members; they became your family since you were not with your family or at home.
Pros
Most Team Players are great. great pay, great fringe benefits, chance to travel all over US.
Cons
My last supervisor did not want me to ask any questions at all.
Old Fashioned Management Mentality
Senior Study Director (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 22, 2016
The company is behind the times, plain and simple. They are not interested in inovative practices from other successful companies and are content to keep doing things the same way they've always done them.
Pros
flexible work hours, good benefites, employee owned
Cons
slow to promote, most of management is in their 60s and reluctant to move anyone up who is under 50!
Run away! Run far, far away from Westat.
Survery Processing Staff (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 20, 2015
This is by far the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of working. Westat doesn't care at all about their employees. Poverty level pay, little to no benefits. They don't even give any paid leave whatsoever to their hourly employees, the ones who do all of the actual work collecting data for all of their little studies. If anyone asks me about applying for jobs here, I tell them don't even bother. The place is so cliquey it's like being in Junior High School all over again.
Pros
Cons
no paid leave for hourly employees. no leave, no sick pay, no holiday pay. health care is crazy expensive through them.
Good Place for hands on experience
Survey Prcessing Staff (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 5, 2015
I have been at Westat for 13 years which has allow to develop a level of profession and good place for hands on experience. Also, to learn how to be a team player and challenging tasks.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Job Security
Sparce Work Assignments
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Work from homeOctober 15, 2015
Wait time in-between assignments is extremely long. One needs an additional job. Pay in very low and pay raise are almost non existent.
Great place to work. Excellent if compensation was more competitive.
Tier 1 Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 16, 2015
Professional yet laid-back environment.
Employee-owned
Flexible hours.
Over-time if eligible.
Great Benefits.
Supportive management.
Paid vacation if eligible
Pros
Travel
Cons
Compensation
I loved working for WESTAT INC.
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2015
They are definitely people oriented and take good care of their employees. Their salaries are fare and for the most part they show a caring and interested attitude towards their employees providing excellent training to ensure success on the job.
Pros
Work hours and Salary
Cons
Management does not always show professionalism
Daily Responsibilities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 29, 2015
I provide administrative and word processing support to the the Educational Team, by updating the database, making sure the correct information has been logged. I then check electronic calendars to see that all scheduled conferences and meetings for that particular day have been planned and is in place. Daily, I check to make sure that all printers, copiers, fax machines, and supplies are full and up and running at the beginning of each work day. My fellow co-workers know that I am reliable, confident in my position and that I am diligent in making sure the day starts without issue. I also arrange and set up conferences nation-wide and act as the first point contact and liaison for my employer. I can with all certainty say that most days go off as planned, however, as organized as I am, I am capable of handling last minute or unexpected matter.
Pros
In-House Gym and Cafe
Cons
Lack of growth potential for admin staff
Westat
Field Data Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 29, 2015
I enjoyed working for Westat and have many met many pleasant people both employees and householders that were interviewed.
As all jobs along with the highs there are challenges such as finding people at home and convincing them to do the interview. I was rather successful in conducting interviews. This was seen when the follow up team whose job it was to convince those I had not been able to had no further success than I had.
Pros
A chance to meet many nice people and interact with them
Cons
It can also be mentally exhasting repeated trying to find or convince the same individuals
Fun and flexibile
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 27, 2016
I go to clients home to interview them about healthcare. The client are give to you to visit once you complete the survey with the client you pay them $50 for there time. The hardest part is convincing people to complete the interview which could take 1-2.5 hours depending on the number of people in the household and medical conditions if any. Overall not a bad job at all.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Down time, 3-4 weeks with no work which means no pay.
Its good Place to work with flexible timings.
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 3, 2016
I have learned a lot by working here. Most of time in a year it is always busy. But i enjoyed a lot working and learning new stuffs at my work. Everybody was helpful and friendly towards each other.
Pros
Flexible work hours, Work from home Schedule
Cons
Family Health Care, Less Increment in pay
Fun working enviroment
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 30, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.Great team spirit.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Excellent Company
Field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCOctober 14, 2015
Supportive management, excellent training and education. The ability to work in my area and in a team based setting was a plus.
Pros
flexability with schedule
Cons
geographic areas sometimes unsafe after dark
n/a
Data Collector (Field Interviewer) (Current Employee) –  El Centro, CAJanuary 10, 2016
this is a good company to work for. You can have flexible schedule and good opportunities in this company if you want to move up.
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  philadelphia paSeptember 16, 2015
Great company to work for. Great benefits. I enjoy working on the project. The team is very well trained. I also enjoy the flexibility with the work schedule
Nice place to work,
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2016
Westat allows for growth and prosperity while serving various clients - NIH, NIA, & CDC to name a few.

Westat co-workers work well together, are team members, and enjoy each other's company.
Pros
Employee-owned, staff and personnel, learning curve
Cons
Pay periods are twice a month
Great place for those looking to be paid the most for their work
Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 10, 2015
I love working for Westat! The management has been so good to me in finding opportunities for me to advance. Westat has allowed me to raise my family and learn skills that will allow me to be marketable in the future.
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 2, 2015
5+ years working on 3 survey projects. Great trainings and support from Supervisors. Important and worthwhile projects. Have enjoyed meeting people (respondents) from all walks of life.
Pros
Make my own hours/schedule
Cons
No benefits/part time work