Westat Employee Reviews

Somebody please tell them that slavery is over
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  MDFebruary 7, 2017
I worked for this company several years ago. The only ones advancing in this company are those who make it to supervisors, then they charge just for treating others like slaves. The rest, not so lucky, keeps bing hit by reprimands, nagging, impossible scheduling and on top of that, do not forget thatbyou are actually bothering people on their homes with your phone calls. The questions that you have to read verbatim are so ridiculous that most people hang up or plain insult you. Of course, Westat, takes that on you. Horrible.
Pros
Working fom hom
Cons
Too many
great team work
Assistant Administrator for North Carolina NAEP (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, New Hanover, and Pender counties NCMarch 10, 2017
This was a temporary part time job. We traveled from school to school testing students for a state/federal program. The object was to collect data that can be used to guide curriculum. I especially enjoyed being a part of a friendly team. My direct supervisor was the most organized person I have ever had the pleasure to work with.
Pros
team work
Cons
early hours
Excellent Company
NAEP Assessment Coordinater (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 30, 2016
I've worked many jobs. This company is by far the best company I have ever worked for. The pay is excellent. Training is excellent.The work is easy. If you want a job that is simple,stress free and good pay. This is the job for you. It's per project based. When you get hired for one project you will most likely be hired for others. I highly recommend this company.
Pros
Excellent pay, nice supervisors
Cons
Per project basis down time between projects
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 6, 2016
I had great experience with westat, it was short term but its very good place to work. They have nice cafe in the building, good place for lunch break. my supervise also was very friendly and very helpful. Overall it was great experience.

Thanks
Pros
They provide free coffee and tea
Cons
3 break, 15 min break in morning which is paid, 30 min lunch break(unpaid), 15 min break in the evening(paid)
Great Work Environment
Help Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 23, 2017
Westat is an employee owned company that is a great place to work. There are several positions in various fields. Westat has openings that are full time, temporary. Human Resources works with you to find you the best options once a project has ended. Benefits are earned based on your time with the company.
No response to emails and telephone calls for processing their paperwork
Assessment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 12, 2016
All of that work on my part, taking days off, getting references to respond to emails they thought were incredulous and then 3 emails and 3 phone calls to their HR over four days... no answer, no response. If I can't get simple answers pertaining to the HR paperwork via email or phone calls I hate to imagine what I would face if I had tech problems with their gear later-on. After looking very forward to the job it turned-out to be a waste of time - HR obviously didn't have enough interest to follow-up when they said they would. I am now so turned-off by this method of securing work I will not likely look for this type of work again. The lady who called and did the interviews with me was great (which is why there are 3s instead of all 1s).
Pros
Good interviewer
Cons
Absolutely NO responses from their HR
Enjoyable working conditions. Independence a plus.
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  VariesOctober 18, 2016
I love the independence of working conditions. The freedom to adjust my schedule with my life and still have the support if needed at my disposal. I love meeting new people and traveling. You are required to locate sample person explain study gain cooperation and get the job done.. Required use of computer to collect data and transmit work each day.
Pros
Independent work. Flexible schedule.
Cons
Pay less than would like.
Different location every day
Administrative Assessor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 20, 2017
The work day consist of setting up equipment
You learn when going to a client that all have different facilities
Management is very helpful
The hardest part co-workers can be weird
the day flies by
Pros
work is very easy
Cons
Westat hires some ppl that act strange
contracted for NAEP and other studies
Child Assessor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 21, 2016
Working on the NAEP, NOPUS etc studies with westat was good the down side is that the pay is low for person working in NYC but the hour are flexible and once you do good on one study you will be likely hired for any other projects that may come up
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay short term assignment
Interesting management team.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 2, 2017
Very much of my time with this company was well spent doing the work that have truly come to enjoy. For many years, supervisors spent time removing roadblocks and assisting in many other ways
Pros
Good people
Cons
Oversight is sometimes lacking
Great for temporary and having control of your time
Field Assessor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850October 25, 2016
Based on my experience working at Westat, I really enjoyed it. even though you have a direct supervisor to report to, you are in control of your day work schedule. the pay is above average, they pay on a weekly basis, offer benefits such 401k ..etc.
Pros
manage your own work schedule, paid weekly
Cons
temporary
very good place!!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLJanuary 9, 2017
Began at 6:00 a.m. in the register attending costumer and receiving merchandise as 10:00 am arrived the manager and provided refrigerators in conjunction with it was a time of pleasant work was a shame that the sold.
Pros
regular lunch
Cons
regular break
Good Company
Naep helpdesk rep (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 1, 2017
It's a good company to work for, management is very helpful, great schedules and hours. It's a very relax environment and it's well located I have no complaints, I wish the assignment were permanent but they change during different times of the year.
Very pleasant workplace
Area Secretary to Vice President & Staff (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 25, 2016
Supported five supervisors and one VP. Very fast paced job. Dealt with many personalities and challenging job requests. Needed to prioritize my work load. My co-workers were very pleasant to work along side of. The most enjoyable part of the job was being treated with respect and appreciation.
Pros
Great benefits and salary
Cons
Very long commute
Great work, Not good management.
Data analysis/administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 25, 2017
Great work and consistent pay. Weekly pay at that. But some not all of the management is terrible. No benefits but the work is simple and is an easy steady pace job
Pros
Cafeteria and a gym
Cons
No benefits
Fun and relaxed environment
Financial Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 5, 2017
This company is very flexible and for right candidates there are lots of opportunities to grow. Management are always willing to let workers move to higher positions if they seem to be capable.
Pros
Free Gym, Flexibility
Nice atmosphere. Work from home.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 3, 2017
I like the ability to telecommute. Working conditions were pleasant and the job was fairly flexible. Good 401k. The hardest part of the job was being responsible for the actions or inaction of other people.
Detail Oriented
Assessment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 14, 2017
Although I enjoyed working for Westat, we were not allowed to take breaks or have lunch breaks. This was the coordinator's first year in an authoritative role and it went to her head.
Pros
Paid portal to portal
Cons
No breaks
Compelling assignment
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 13, 2017
Open to considerable feedback from consultants. Excellent survey and analysis skills within the company. Considerable need for travel-ready survey implementers, including multilingual resources.
A great place to work
Data Phone Collector (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 17, 2017
You could pick your own schedule which was great. I love being on the phone so working here did not even feel like a job to me and I was getting paid. A raise came quickly and the management was very friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westat. Our community is ready to answer.