Westat Employee Reviews

Work from home.
Data Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 18, 2017
Tense work due to nature of job, no worker counseling, as it is run by employees. Not enough support for workers on negative aspect of doing phone interviews.
Excellent part time job
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 12, 2017
Excellent employee owned company. Good training, positive experience. No problems with self motivation because you believe in the study and the benefits of the study
Pros
supportive culture
Cons
on a per project basis
short term but a great company
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 11, 2017
Working in data entry was tedious but it was a job. the company is a great place to work for but it all depends on what department in which you work for.
Excelente
AC (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoSeptember 11, 2017
Oportunidad de crecimiento y trabajo en grupo. Oportunidad de ser lider.Oportunidad de hacer evaluación y recomendar .Adiedtrar grupos y profesionales de la Educacion
Cons
Millaje
Challenging work, but stressful as a contractor
Field Employee (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 11, 2017
Stressful to have to look for a project every year, or more than once a year. Difficult to plan financially to have gaps between projects, difficult to invest time and energy in learning a position well in a temporary job.
Pros
Field staff have a somewhat flexible schedule
Cons
Job insecurity between contracts
Working with wonderful people.
Field Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 8, 2017
This is a job that only works a short period of time, every other year. We work most hours for six weeks beginning mid-February. The job is extremely detail oriented, coding test information on test booklets. We recently switched to computer tablets, making our detailing a little less but there are still important details to communicate once testing is complete at each site.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Temporary
Good People
Administrative/Trouble Shooter (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 8, 2017
This is a good company to work for I would work for them again and recommend them to a friend the people were very friendly and kind to me I have know complaints.
Excellent place to work
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2017
We have the opportunity to interview households for a unique nationwide study that provides vital information on health care use and cost for the U S Department of Health and Human Services.
Nice
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 31, 2017
Work from home outbound calling. Make own hours. Supervisor are nice. System is easy to learn. Part time work giving surveys over the phone. Computer and phone needed
Pros
Home
Cons
HOurs
Great Part Time Job as Field Interviewer if your supervisor is good
Part-time position as Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 30, 2017
I worked here a bit over 5 years. I really liked the job. It had flexibility, challenge, freedom to set appointments for times that worked around dr. appointments and other family activities. The work was interesting, the paperwork a bit complex but you get used to it. Lots and lots of detail and a worker in this position MUST be great at dealing with many kinds of people and situations. But it was challenging enough to be fun and interesting.

The problem comes with the supervisor. For 5 years, I had great supervisors. Then, there was a big shakeup and every supervisor was given a new region to manage. The supervisor assigned to my region is a very poor supervisor, in my opinion. She talks down to you, puts stumbling blocks in your path, makes up new rules on the fly. Has some sort of condition that causes unusual behavior at times, surprising when first encountered.

There is no option to work for another supervisor, so you're stuck with them or you quit.
Pros
Part time, reasonable pay, flexibility
Cons
Tedious paperwork, supervisor can ruin the job for you, work level fluctuations
Company has stability
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 30, 2017
The company has great benefits with a very low co-pay for doctors appointments. The company has a great 401k plan. The supervisors are pleasant to work with.
Pros
Hours great staff
Cons
Solid company to work for
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 30, 2017
Responsibilities at Westat included contract management, client managemnt and interaction, web design and development, print publication design and workflow, Flash design and development, monthly analytics reports and more.
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 27, 2017
I have found that management at Westat is its poorest quality. While the people are great to work with, the management style leads much to be desired. There does not appear to be an equal footing for all employees regarding job duties and compensation, allowing senior management to take advantage of those willing to work hard and are loyal to the company. There does not appear to be a work-life balance company-wide.
social research interviewer
Social Research Interviewer for Medicare Study (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MAAugust 18, 2017
located and interview Medicare recipients regarding their health, medical care, medication and insurance satisfaction. I'd receive several files for individuals to meet with each quarter to convince them to participate in a three year study.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
convincing recipients to participate in the study
Great Company
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 16, 2017
I really enjoy working for wesatat. The atmosphere is nice. The management however fails to properly train employees. everything else was great. this would be the only critique.
Good
Financial Reporting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 16, 2017
Good company to work for.

Good work life balance.

Nice Management.

Good people.

Good location.

Good culture.

Westat cares about employees.

Westat has good management.
Great Company with a great ethos
Data Collector-Vehicle Observation (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 9, 2017
I was working on a 3 month project and, while it was boring at times, they gave me all the tools and support I needed to complete the job. Highly recommend them.
Pros
great pay and excellent work philosophy
Cons
hard to guarantee job security if you are a field agent
Excellent training and support. Well paid but no longterm position.
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Columbiana, OHAugust 9, 2017
Great company to work for. My Field Supervisor was good and that makes a huge difference to job satisfaction. Well paid and compensated but only for one year contract.
Pros
Good compensation and great training and support.
Cons
One year contract.
Great
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2017
Westat, was a great place of work, it was a very relaxed environment and no micromanaging, the management staff were awesome. I would recommend people to work there.
Data Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 6, 2017
I only worked here for a short time. However, the hours and flexibility was great. I enjoyed the work environment. Only bad thing was that my assignment was temporary.
Pros
Great work culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westat. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval