Westcare Employee Reviews

fun and friendly environment
volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2016
fast-paced and entertaining!I would recommend this place for all who desire a job in customer service. It also is family friendly.
Pros
great entertainment
Cons
no benefits for cashiers
Working with youth.
Counselor Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2015
A typical day at Westcare involved the daily living supervision of youth clients, and providing crisis intervention. I held substance abuse groups. I took clients to various 12 step meetings. I learned a lot about drug abuse. My co-workers and I all worked as a team to help on another through another day as inpatient treatment can sometimes be challenging, The hardest part of the job was the detachment from clients after they would graduate from our program. The most enjoyable part was to see a client succeed in our substance abuse treatment program.
Pros
Meals were provided daily. Great benefits.
Great structure and organized
Counselor Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 9, 2016
Westcare is organized in the way they process intake of clients. They are always solving problems as a team. Human interaction is important to all employees, this is evident in the way they give direction and councel to clients.
It was awesome; great people
(Volunteer) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2016
It is a great place to be able to give back to the community and change others life and make a difference.
Working their is a reward for me it is good to see other's appreciation I don't really have a hard thing about the job because I consider myself a hard worker who adapts to things in life.
Rough crowd
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 27, 2015
The facility focuses on the indigent and homeless population and is a dump. Management is flexible but a very tight-nit with each other and closed off to employee's. When offered a job there, they tell you "we don't give raises".
Pros
?
Cons
in the slum
Fun place to work, enjoyable co-workers and fair workload.
Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Pahrump, NVFebruary 10, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of conducting assessments for client's referred to the program for drug and alcohol treatment on an outpatient possible inpatient basis. I learned a lot during my employment with WestCare concerning how to work appropriately with client's dealing with addictions, emotional and mental health problems. I enjoyed all of my co-workers and managers as they appeared to be willing to help with any situation. The hardest part of this job was having to contact Child Protective Services concerning abuse or neglect of a child. This situation can be quite heartbreaking but as a mandated reporter it is a requirement and unfortunately a far too often necessity. The most enjoyable part of the job was not only those I worked with but also the support they provided when dealing with difficult client issues.
Pros
Great hours and weekends off
Cons
not a lot of room for advancement or raises due to the non-profit nature of the the business
excellent empolyee's
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 21, 2016
very good job skills with in the work force. the employee is very proper in communications skills are very good they help you in any situation you are working on
Pros
you pay for your lunches
Cons
very good on breaks
Being around people
(Volunteer) Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 11, 2016
West Care has multiple options to work from. It's an every day awarding atmosphere. I've learned about coordinating events, time management and planning
Pros
working with people
Cons
nothing
Poor Management
Behavioral HealthCare Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 7, 2015
I was honored to work at WestCare and gain the experience. I feel that as a technician, my job duties were not valued by management. Management was very unorganized, byass and unreasonable in implementation of treatment and corrective behavior (in the division I worked in). Technicians were responsible for the bulk duties and effectiveness of the program. We spent most of the time interacting with clients during their contracted stay. Upward mobility is slim.
Pros
Minimum experience required for hire
Cons
Dysfunctional management and staff coordination
Productive and Interactive
light housekeeping and administrative assisting (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2016
I have no complaints about this company, the have been very beneficial in my growth and experience. This company has been enjoyable and fun.
Pros
Free lunchs
It was a great place to work
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Ashcamp, KYJanuary 26, 2015
I would go in to star my shift and everybody was very friendly. I loved the work I done there and even the residents that were there were also very friendly and loved me to death as they said.
Pros
Free lunches, Great benefits
I Love working and helping out my community
Housekeeping/Laundry (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2015
I am a hard worker, I am a very reliable person I work very well under pressure. I am a team leader as well as a follower because I like to learn from other people. I am considerate of others I am learnable flexible.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
it was fun exiting there great people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2016
very fun fast pace place.everyone was great fun caring loving .to please everybody every day.i had a wonderful time every single day the people made it easy.
client coordinator
client coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
A day with west care is multi tasking, dealing with different personalities and assisting clients with their recovery .
Pros
relationships with the clients / great amasphere
Cons
no free time
A very rewarding place to vollunteer.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 9, 2015
This company is a pleasure to work for. All of the staff are friendly, and helpful. A typical day is varied, be3cuase I basically fill in wherever I am needed. On some days I am working in the kitchen helping to prepare meals for 80+ women. Then there are other days when I help clean the facility. I have learned the capacity people can have for their fellow person. The hardest part of the job is having to say goodbye to the clients when they finally re-enter society, and that is also the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Giving back to the community
Cons
The emotinal attachment with the clients
Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 1, 2015
Take vital signs, obtain routine laboratory samples, adminster injections and complete patient chart notes
Organize/ lead group activities, prepare/serve meals and assist patients with daily living neeeds
Answer multi-line phone system, schedule patient appointments, data entry of patient information, verify insurance and collect patient copayments
Assisting on-call Nurse Practitioner
I am able to comunnicate well with the staff.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2015
The staff really cares about the people who work and help out. The management makes sure to get everything done one time in an orderly fashion. The hardest part of the job is to hear the stories.
Pros
Peer Support
Horrible company to work for
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Not sayingDecember 30, 2012
I worked for this company at one of their domestic violence shelters as a case manager. While this nonprofit does excellent work for the community, it is the most corrupt and ridiculous place I've ever worked at. I and my coworkers were told that we MUST volunteer for special events (work without pay) or lose our jobs. Our supervisor also REQUIRED that we fill out our timecards in pencil so she "could alter our hours as needed." After never missing a day of work, I had to call in ONCE because my elderly grandmother suffered a massive heart attack; I was promptly written up for "causing an unneccesary burden to the company by missing one day fo work." I was frequently scheduled in 18 hour shifts and NEVER received breaks. I was also scheduled incorrectly as far as night, then day, then afternoon....this oftern resulted in working 24 hours straight. I NEVER received ANY training in domestic violence, and was LITERALLY told to "go online to learn about work with domestic violence victims...just Google it."
Cons
poor company ethics, poor pay, poor management
not always positive, but learning skills each day
Intensive Treatment Unit Counselor (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYMarch 2, 2015
Changed schedule to nearly every minute on clock is spent in group with inmates, too many hours spent with face to face with inmates, not enough down time, not enough support from upper management, little organization
Pros
being a counselor, working with people
Cons
long work days, being confined in the prison, no faith in our clinical supervisor
Humble work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive staff and management. No all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Great Company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcare. Our community is ready to answer.