Westcare

Westcare Employer Reviews

Mental Health Rehabilitation
Mental Health Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great people
Magic is for real... Teaching psycho-social rehabilitation skills to people with psychiatric diagnosis.
Fun place to work, enjoyable co-workers and fair workload.
Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor Intern (Former Employee), Pahrump, NVFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: great hours and weekends off
Cons: not a lot of room for advancement or raises due to the non-profit nature of the the business
A typical day at work consisted of conducting assessments for client's referred to the program for drug and alcohol treatment on an outpatient possible inpatient basis. I learned a lot during my employment with WestCare concerning how to work appropriately with client's dealing with addictions, emotional and mental health problems. I enjoyed all of – more... my co-workers and managers as they appeared to be willing to help with any situation. The hardest part of this job was having to contact Child Protective Services concerning abuse or neglect of a child. This situation can be quite heartbreaking but as a mandated reporter it is a requirement and unfortunately a far too often necessity. The most enjoyable part of the job was not only those I worked with but also the support they provided when dealing with difficult client issues. – less
Maintained all functions of the kitchen
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee), St. Petersburg, FloridaNovember 8, 2013
Pros: made all the decisions in the kitchen.
Cons: volunteer help was very inconsistent.
Picked up donations from neighborhood grocery markets and saved some for Westcare clients and distributed the remainder to the community.

Several of the clients helped volunteer there service in the kitchen.

Hardest part of my day was maintaining help and cooking for 2 kitchens, delivering the first batch and returning to cook for my kitchen. Westcare – more... has two facilities.

The most enjoyable part of the day is having the knowledge, skills and abilities to make it all come together every day. – less
A very helpful place to work.
Substance Abuse Counselor/Intern (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2013
Pros: plenty of work to do.
Cons: paperwork
Counseling clients with co-occurrences (mostly homeless, and inmates) in an out patient setting. The greatest part of this place of intern is seeing people stay clean and sober, and the challenging part may be the paperwork, although I use the paperwork time as therapeutic time.
Awesome staff, great work enviroment.
Medical Biller and Data Specialist (Current Employee), Fresno, CAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: management/staff made every holiday and birthday acknowledged and fun.
Cons: westcare is contracted by the fresno county and they can easily cut the contract due to budget cuts.
A typical day at work for me; collecting all assessment packets done by LMFT staff. Enter all comsumers information into WestCare Data base and A Daily Data report that had to be send out to County in the every morning. Checking Medi-Cal insurance Verification online by using the same packets given to me in the beginning of my shift. Create charts for – more... the Assessments and file any information by the end of my shift.

What you learned; I have learned to be more indepentant, organized, and responsible for all of the work I do. Including working with patient information. Understanding the meaning HIPPA, I take that very serious.

Management; I work very well and close with all of management. Very good communication, respect, and as well as Boundaries is a must.

Your Co-workers; what can I say I got along with everyone! Everybody has different personalities and think different from me. But learning to adjust yourself to their level we all get along well. Makes things so much easier instead of being so nagitive about everything. Be open minded thats all.

The hardest part of my job; honestly nothing.

The most enjoyable part of the job; Is when you completed something huge and feeling very good about yourself after you have accomplished something very challenging. Great feeling!! – less
rewarding
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee), Fresno, CAAugust 7, 2013
fast phase
respect is a reward
management is fun and worth experimenting
enjoyable to work with great people
nothing was hard
meeting new people
friendly co workers very challenging type of work
Intern (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMay 3, 2013
I Interned there for one month so I could finish my degree. I shadowed an drug addiction counselor and assisted in day to day operations
Horrible company to work for
Case Manager (Former Employee), Not sayingDecember 30, 2012
Cons: poor company ethics, poor pay, poor management
I worked for this company at one of their domestic violence shelters as a case manager. While this nonprofit does excellent work for the community, it is the most corrupt and ridiculous place I've ever worked at. I and my coworkers were told that we MUST volunteer for special events (work without pay) or lose our jobs. Our supervisor also REQUIRED that – more... we fill out our timecards in pencil so she "could alter our hours as needed." After never missing a day of work, I had to call in ONCE because my elderly grandmother suffered a massive heart attack; I was promptly written up for "causing an unneccesary burden to the company by missing one day fo work." I was frequently scheduled in 18 hour shifts and NEVER received breaks. I was also scheduled incorrectly as far as night, then day, then afternoon....this oftern resulted in working 24 hours straight. I NEVER received ANY training in domestic violence, and was LITERALLY told to "go online to learn about work with domestic violence victims...just Google it." – less
productive place dealing with Corrections.
DRIVER (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAAugust 23, 2012
Pros: employers cares about clients and what they do for them.
Cons: cotracted by state which creates uncertain future.
Company is a good one to work for but with the state taking budget cuts you never know about your future, co-workers really care about what they do, great boss who connects with her employers, I learned a lot about the justice systems and how it works and finally the most important thing about the job is the people you work with.
Review
Counselor Tech (Former Employee), Fresno, CAAugust 8, 2012
I would come into work clock in, and find out where I was that day. Get my money for the cash register and then go where I was suppose to go. I would ring up customers and when there was no customers I would find things around me to do like clean up shelves hang up clothes that have coming off the hangers dust and clean shelves.
Its is hard work, but its a passion so its not that hard.
Non-Certified Counselor (Current Employee), Sheridan, ILJuly 9, 2012
Pros: can help people
Cons: i have a 45 min drive to work.
a typical day would start off with me teaching my client about the dangers of drug use. many of my clients then tell stories to their peers about their drug use. After group i write about each clients feelings and reaction in group.The hardest part of the is that its a thankless job. you can help someone and once they leave you don't know if they are – more... doing well or not. The most enjoyable part is working with my co-workers we work as a team and it makes work way easier. – less
Fun and itneresting place to work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 26, 2012
Pros: great people, help others and give back
I love all the people at all the locations they have here. I volunteeer and love it. To me its a very interesting and caring place to vounteet for.

About Westcare

WestCare, a family of tax-exempt nonprofit organizations, provides a wide spectrum of health and human services in both residential – Read more