Western & Southern Life

Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

Good Company
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 14, 2017
Good company to work for. It is a flexible job. Your work is mostly in the field.

Benefits are good, they are one of the few companies that offer a pension plan.

Sometimes hard to meet their MPS, that is the required amount of earnings as per sales within a specific period.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Sometimes hard to meet their MPS
Reward for you hard work
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OKFebruary 16, 2017
Insurance and financial sales is a tough market to be successful in unless you completely apply yourself. This is no different, but is better than most. A supportive management team and corporate structure, and a company that has a strong moral compass, W&S is a good place to work as long as you're willing to listen, implement, and do things that are not necessarily enjoyable (regularly make phone calls, prospecting businesses, constantly networking).
Pros
Strong pay and good reimbursement structure, flexible (but demanding) work schedule, supportive management, great company support
Cons
Tough industry, must put in a lot of work to be successful, unpleasant tasks are necessary (weekly phone calls, prospecting, etc)
Productive and fun workplace ... job description
Financial Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 22, 2017
Great foundation. ....Financial/Sales & Marketing Representative - Ensuring people’s lives with life insurance, health insurance, final expense plans and financial decisions for their future. Meet with clients to identify their needs and their family’s needs, cost/plan analysis, come up with solutions, set appointments, prospect, event marketing, seminars, trade shows, and participate in job fairs for potential new hires, customer retention, lead management, sales and marketing strategizing, establish and improve client communications.
Passion for Sales
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCJuly 2, 2016
This is a great company for someone that was to try sales. They have great training and delevopment classes. If you are unable to sale you paycheck will show. Not for the faint at heart.
Pros
work invironment, benefits
Cons
Commission based pay
High School Enviroment
Entry Level (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 23, 2016
Worked for 5 years in same entry level position. All though there is a high turnover in the company with a lot of internal hires, the management is terrible, very micromanaged. If you question or have an opinion about anything, then you are labeled as a trouble maker and will be black listed. They like to mold people to walk and talk in a "yes sir/no sir" kind of mentality. They will hire and promote people even if they aren't qualified. They will also award bad behavior among associates, even if its at the expense of someone else.

Associates are also very Catty. There where a few that where good to me, but it was all about the bottom line of getting ahead. While there is a strong emphasis on being professional at all times in appearance and work, it only applies to a select few. They often held me to a much higher standard while others where allowed to exhibit child like and often immature behavior. It also lacks diversity in ideas and associates (ethnicity), everybody has to be the same. You'll stand out like a sore thumb if you look, talk, and walk differently. If someone doesn't like it, you won't last long. You'll be lucky to even get hired, it helps to know someone already working there because they like to hire peoples friends and family members.
Pros
free lunch, food days, 401k, health/life insurance
Cons
45 min lunch, micromanaged, incompetant managers, high school enviroment, Catty behavior.
Upper management doesn't fit new culture
Managing Partner (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 10, 2017
Great foundation, but the changing culture does not align with the current upper management. The old guard needs to be changed to reach the companies potential. The culture is moving toward 2020 and the upper management is stuck in 1980.
Pros
GREAT CORP STRENGTH
Cons
UPPER MANAGEMENT
Amazing Company, Amazing People
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCMarch 1, 2016
I believe strongly in Western and Southern! Truly a solid company that cares about their clients as well as employees. My personal manager(s) are wonderful leaders and care about the reps in their charge.
I would recommend this company first to anyone looking to work in life insurance or financial services as well as any clients.
I am also a client and will remain so!
Pros
Wonderful benefits, caring, supportive leaders
Cons
Outside sales is not for everyone, if you are able, you will succeed with W&S
If you work hard you will succeed
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHMay 2, 2016
The training is thorough. Upper Management is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Compensation is highest in industry, but depending on your market making a living is difficult.
Agency Review
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Norton, OHDecember 27, 2016
Working with Western Southern brought me closer to my clients and provided me with management skills. The national agency provided all the skills necessary to produce well trained agents.
The hardest part of the job was prospecting.
Pros
Weekly Meetings of encouragement
Cons
The telephone controlled my life
...Job Description
Financial/Sales & Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCJuly 21, 2016
.....Financial/Sales & Marketing Representative - Ensuring people’s lives with life insurance, health insurance, final expense plans and financial decisions for their future. Meet with clients to identify their needs and their family’s needs, cost/plan analysis, come up with solutions, set appointments, prospect, event marketing, seminars, trade shows, and participate in job fairs for potential new hires, customer retention, lead management, sales and marketing strategizing, establish and improve client communications. Top Sales Agent in the Hillsboro, Ohio Office as well as the Statesville, NC, Office, # 2 Top Sales Agent in the Country for the Month of October 2015. Ambassador for the Statesville Chamber of Commerce.
Hard to make money
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHJanuary 24, 2017
I was promised I could make all this money and have a very flexible work schedule. Boy, that was wrong. Life insurance is very hard to sell now days. The older generation already has it and the younger generation can't afford it.
Pros
kind of flexible but not really
Cons
pay
Fun workplace with helpful co-workers and helpful management.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 22, 2016
Co-workers have made this job enjoyable and exciting. We are given a lot of freedom so we are able to do what is best and most rewarding for us. Hardest part is being commission based right after graduation. Not originally from Kentucky I do not know enough people to really get started and make the money I want.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Commission based, overstaffed
Very good company
Financial representative (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 23, 2016
they really care about FR and field employees.

manager is really good.

You will have a good work life balance.

and also the benefit is good, but you need to work hard.
Challenging but Beneficial
Full Time Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2017
This Sales position helped me develop essential people skills and enhanced my verbal and non verbal communication skills. I had the ability to meet new people on a daily basis which has diversified my customer experience and helped me develop great customer service skills
It has its ups and downs. It can be stressful and hard to balance your work with your personal life because of how much individual work there is.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INDecember 28, 2016
May be more suited for a larger area and not such a small non-metropolitan area like Terre Haute, IN. I do enjoy the people I work with and meeting new people on the job.
great atmosphere
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Daniel Island, SCFebruary 12, 2017
Great crew, lots of flexibility with schedule. you must be a people person and be pretty tough its not always easy to do a death claim. Also you must know many people in the area if you wish to do well.
Financial Representative--networking and cold calling to open financial services--primarily life insurance
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 1, 2015
No job work/ life balance. If you can find people who want and can afford your services and the policies are approved, then great. I wasn't as fortunate. They keep part of your compensation in your employee "bank" so that if you leave, you don't get it back. The people (co-workers and management) are very nice. You learn how to sell more than anything else. I work to make money and this was disappointing. Ask many, many questions about what will be expected of you and what your schedule will be like. They may say you have control of your schedule and, if they do, ask what meetings you'll be required to attend and what your direct supervisor will expect you to do. Know that they are selling you to get people enrolled, so make sure it's a good fit for you.
Pros
Job opportunity, health ins., people
Cons
No job work/life balance, compensation, too many variables out of your control to get approved business
Very productive and fun place to work.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 12, 2016
Over 30 yrs. in the insurance business,great company and great place to work.Sales ,service,recruiting and training was a typical day at work.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Would not recommend to applicants - look elsewhere.
I.T. Support (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioApril 21, 2013
Salary and benefits about average for industry. Otherwise not a very good company to work for in my opinion. Unhelpful, sometimes rude co-workers, especially the long-timers. Limited lines of business and insurance for sale to customers. Very political, bureaucratic management type of environment. Decreasing benefits for newer employees. Overbearing HR department. Free lunch is provided, then managers and supervisors say that there is 'no such thing as a free lunch'. (Company is deeply into very annoying corporate psychology). If looking for employment in insurance or financial, my opinion is to not apply at W&S, look somewhere else.
Pros
salary/benefits about average
Cons
difficult corporate culture / co-workers
Intense sales job.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 12, 2016
If you have a passion for sales and some long hours this is a good company to work for. The offices are always neat and clean and the employees are typically conservative in nature.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western & Southern Life. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9