Western & Southern Life

Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews in United States

Amazing Company, Amazing People
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCMarch 1, 2016
I believe strongly in Western and Southern! Truly a solid company that cares about their clients as well as employees. My personal manager(s) are wonderful leaders and care about the reps in their charge.
I would recommend this company first to anyone looking to work in life insurance or financial services as well as any clients.
I am also a client and will remain so!
Pros
Wonderful benefits, caring, supportive leaders
Cons
Outside sales is not for everyone, if you are able, you will succeed with W&S
not fun
Finacial Represenative (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 8, 2016
go to work sell insurance and come home don't sell much you don't make and money people person and talk to a lot of people the more people you know the better
Intern (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TXFebruary 3, 2016
In general it is a bad place to be in. I would not recommend to work there. Also the office is very far out from the populated areas.
District Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 1, 2016
This is a great company to work for. You get to know many of the clients on a personal level and work with them to better their lives.
Good job, flexible days and hours.
financial representative (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INNovember 9, 2015
The work consists of providing service for current clients as well as finding new clients. The pay is commission, which can be a lot some weeks and a little other weeks.
Pros
You set your own schedule with about 6 hours each week that are required in the office.
Cons
Commission based pay.
Able to work closely with clients to help them determine best solutions for their retirement and life insurance needs.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 8, 2015
Consistency is key
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHOctober 7, 2015
Numbers are big. Management does do a lot of personal development which is good. It has its good and bad days but you just have to be consistent in what you do.
Every office is different
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  North Riverside, ILAugust 8, 2015
Its a commission sales job. You get out what you put into it. Its flexible which is great and they have excellent commission rates and great products to offer clients. The culture for each location is different. Some offices are really close knit and fun and others like mine are sort of dry and everyone keeps to themselves. The company overall is a great company.
Established Financial Company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 27, 2015
Western & Southern is a career company. If you are willing to work and dedicate yourself to your career then Western & Southern is a great place to work.
Pros
Unlimited potential for income
Cons
Commission Based
Western and Southern: Don't do it
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 14, 2015
Western and Southern Life appeared like a great job. They have very limited training, the pay is very low. There is little or no support to get any leads;
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
pay
Nothing positive to state
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJuly 7, 2015
N/A. I dislike the industry and the philosophy of the company. The pay is low, the moral is low and the day-to-day functions are very administrative. There s/not be a requirement of formal education to perform the job
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
cold calling, charge backs, no residual income once departing
Client Relationship Building
Staff & Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  PAMay 25, 2015
Working with clients is the most enjoyable piece to the job. There is something to be said about making a difference in people's lives.
Western & Southern Life
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 7, 2015
This is an excellent company with great management. It is a great opportunity and they provide an excellent and positive culture for their employees.
Pros
Work Environment, high income, great management support
Pie in the sky
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLApril 3, 2015
Just keep telling you to hang in there for 5 years and it would all pay off. The manager new less than the agents and failed to come to work most days.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
management
Horrible micro management
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 1, 2015
Horrid micromanagement. Putting people into positions of management when they have NO idea of company policies, procedures or even the company laptop.
Unless you want to be a robot and do exactly what you are told and nothing more nothing less, this isn't the place you want to work.
horrible benefits
you must use your personal car, personal cell phone, even after working hours your management expects you to be on call
Pros
not minimum wage pay
Cons
horrible expensive benefits, micromanaging managers, no support from upper management, only the Good Ol Boys matter
Manager
Staff Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  PIqua, OHMarch 17, 2015
Be ready to work long days and hours. Your pay will be up and down from week to week but if you put the time into this position then your income is unlimited.
Financial Representative--networking and cold calling to open financial services--primarily life insurance
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 1, 2015
No job work/ life balance. If you can find people who want and can afford your services and the policies are approved, then great. I wasn't as fortunate. They keep part of your compensation in your employee "bank" so that if you leave, you don't get it back. The people (co-workers and management) are very nice. You learn how to sell more than anything else. I work to make money and this was disappointing. Ask many, many questions about what will be expected of you and what your schedule will be like. They may say you have control of your schedule and, if they do, ask what meetings you'll be required to attend and what your direct supervisor will expect you to do. Know that they are selling you to get people enrolled, so make sure it's a good fit for you.
Pros
job opportunity, health ins., people
Cons
no job work/life balance, compensation, too many variables out of your control to get approved business
Bar life is rough and the location sucks
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 28, 2015
The management follows you everywhere and hounds you, the location is poor, and it is not a good job for family life. Staff is amazing and the customers who do come down are great.
Pros
staff
Cons
management
A Lot of Work for So Little
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  NCFebruary 7, 2015
I feel that this company could do so much better. Most of your days as a Financial/Sales rep will be TRYING to get more appointments and meeting those you have. you are "encouraged" to get 12 appointments for each following week, of which 3-4 should be new sales. When you are not going to businesses or people's homes door-to-door to sell your products (which I can tell you, people hate). Also, you WILL take part in twice-a-week call sessions (where you will call people at their home between 5:30 and 8pm (yeah, even current clients hate that). Before I left, they had us cold-calling businesses in the local area as well, during working hours (working people HATE that too).
Oh, and 80% of the time, when you meet clients or potential clients, you will meet them at their work or their homes. So, have a good car, a GPS device and keep track of your mileage.

You get caught in the numbers game. 300 calls to get 12 appointments EACH week, to get 2-4 new sales EACH week. If you are not a good salesman (or more analytical, like me) this can be soul-draining.

if you are new to insurance/financial services you get 1.5 months of training, where you will get paid $550/week. Afterwards, you get paid 100% commission. Hopefully in training period you build up enough in commission funds to get you through sales droughts. (most of your commission goes into a fund where you are occasionally paid from it).

you will have to be licensed to sell insurance to get this job, and they are not cheap. hopefully, your W&S branch will give you a good discount for materials and the exams.

As an agent, you
  more... are responsible for a list of current clients. Yes your duties include fulfilling client requests (loans, option changes, etc). But really, you are supposed to use your current clients to scrap new sales. CC fulfillment take up about 10% of your time, unless management changes your duties. In my office, ALL Current client requests was delegates to our receptionist (at least 4000 clients) and all agents would instead focus 100% on sales.

The thing is, W&S is stuck in the 1880's in terms of marketing itself. They rely on word of mouth and door-to-door sales for marketing their products. No local print, TV or radio media. (CEO even said in a company wide email that they would NOT add new media as the company has done fine on what they do now). Most people thought it was a railroad company instead of Insurance. I had the option of advertising myself in our local paper, but they would not pay for it. I would have to pay MYSELF for any non-mail ads.

They do have a website that briefly describes their products, but it directs it to sales reps instead of offering a buy-your-own. I did see one W&S TV commercial in 2014, during the Rose parade. Haven't seen once since.

I can say about my branch/district was that my managers were great. District manager was a minister and was a great all-around guy. Helped me out whenever he could, as he thought I would do great with a business degree. Regional manager went to my college, so he could see relate to where I was in life. When I decided to quit, both tried to keep me, but they volunteered as references for me in my job hunt. ( seeker beware: your managers may vary).

I have a degree in Finance and was planning to use this job to get FINRA Certifications. Reps are "encouraged" to earn their 6 & 66 so they can sell Mutual funds and other investment products. (those reps get paid really well). Some even get Series 7 and later move on to become stockbrokers. The thing is, you have to get through sales for several months to get sponsorship. If you can do that, can be a good place to get certifications.

I left when I realized I was not a salesman and it was too much work for too little reward. Two weeks after I left my office closed and clients are now serviced by a branch 1 hour away.

They have fairly-good products, but if they have better coverage with media ads they'd be so much more efficient in generating revenue.
Pros
managers of my district were great, can get finra certs.
Cons
too much cold-calling, door-to-door sales, commission based, company refuses to advertise in any media except mail.
Wonderful place to work.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2014
Great place to learn the company and the people their are willing to help you with anything that you can think of. great teachers, great staff.