Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

Fun work place. Was like a brotherhood
Insurance sales representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA 16105August 25, 2017
Western Southern was my first job out of college and was directly related to my degree. Marketing and sales was the basic job duty. Commissions were good and there was a relaxing attitude toward hours of work and times of day work was accomplished. As long as your numbers were good no one ask any questions and let you manage your book on your own. Loved it.
Pros
Great awards and prizes
Cons
Too much travel and road time
Book of business provided was junk
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 25, 2017
I was recruited out of college and got my License and Training from Western Southern. They provide a book of business and at the time, I was responsible for contacted and attempting to collect past due premiums. The Branch Manager was unscrupulous.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Manager
Really enjoyed working fo Western and Southern Life.Only down fall is straight commission, and when you have a downward spiral, it is hard
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 24, 2017
To be truly successful, you must be consistent with your sales.
Management will support you on every level, make sure you are in front of people.
Pros
The work ethics and Culture
Cons
Straight commission
Hard work pays off
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
This is a very encouraging company and a great place for new agents to learn more about the industry. They provide all you need to get started and management is behind one hundred percent.
Pros
Great people to work with. More like a family environment.
Cons
The money doesn't trickle down enough in my opinion.
Very competitive
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 11, 2017
Weekly training and meetings, management helpful, slight possibility of advancement, must make sales to be paid, a plus is very little paperwork- most of job is on computer
Fun work environment, good people to work with.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 1, 2017
I would recommend this company to someone who likes to sell insurance and who does not mind getting rejected and who would work for straight commission. I learned that I cannot work at a straight commission job. The company as a whole was a great company. They gave great benefits. The managers were very helpful and friendly.
Pros
benefits, set your own hours
Cons
commission only, hard to get sales
Great Job for Young People
REGISTERED AGENT (Former Employee) –  Norton, OHJuly 21, 2017
Job requires a large time commitment, and patients for income to rise. Younger people with less at stake can easily grow with the company, by working hard.
Not transparent
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHJuly 15, 2017
I got hired in but they wanted me to do a lot before I even got paid. I was supposed to come up with 200 people I knew to find my marketing niche. They claimed I wouldn't be selling to them yet I was told to call all 200 of them and make appointments. Then I was told they would pay for all my training and licensing. Yet I paid for everything up to the point where I couldn't get my actual license because I couldn't afford it. If you don't have money saved up along with a huge support system of people ready to buy from you it's just a huge waste of time.
Excellent Company to work for
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OHJuly 12, 2017
Commissioned sales is always going to be a challenging and difficult job, but WSL offers great benefits and training, as well as a management staff that go out of their way to help their sales reps achieve their goals.
Waste of my time
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 11, 2017
My experience with Western and Southern was extremely lacking. I was left feeling under-qualified to sell products to which I hardly had knowledge. I was given small amounts of guidance by management and put many miles on my vehicle meeting with strangers. Very dangerous for a female representative since management wanted me to set appointments ALONE with prospects whom I had never met.
Have to be a self starter and strong desire
Life Insurance Agent and Sales Mgr, Securities Rep (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 5, 2017
Retired from W & S with lifetime medical and dental benefits and a small pensioin. In addtion to Life and Health, also licensed in securities with a 6 and 63 license. Glad I worked for them.
Pros
Lots of training and support - commisions were W-2d not 1099d.
Western & Southern Life overview
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 3, 2017
Contact clients of Western & southern. Review with them their
current insurance coverage. work with clients to change, beneficiaries, insurance coverage. Western & Southern is a good company. My only problems where with the policies that I wrote.
many of my clients would stop paying the policies that I wrote for them. The company was required to take any payouts to me back
for my future payroll accounts. I would go back to this company if given a chance. It would have been if the company where to supply
insurance leads for their employees.
Good company
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 5, 2017
Of all insurance companies I worked for this was the best. Company support for agents was good. Pay was inline with other companies. Opportunities were given
to advance.
Full commission work without enough support
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Robinson, PAJune 1, 2017
The job revolves around making appointments. Unless you have lived in the area or are willing to work 60+ hours a week it is very difficult to make enough appointments to sustain a working salary. I'm new to my particular location, know very few people, and was unable to make this job work.

If you're comfortable with full commission work, I recommend W&SL very highly. But it's not for most people, no matter what they say.
not where to relax
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 1, 2017
long hours ,no good pay hard to acquire customer not able to advance nowhere to eat or relax just work work have to be a go getter lot of driving stressful
Pros
self motive
horrible place to work
Claim Examiner (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 24, 2017
The jobs at WS Life are fine, but the management leaves little to be desired. They are very biased, and have their favorites, which is quite obvious. You work a great deal of overtime, and it gets you nowhere.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
no breaks, a great deal of overtime
Reinsurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45202May 21, 2017
This company was wonderful and supplied all needed things for a great work and home life. Company sponsored events and many benefits including health, dental, vision, onsite gym and free breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and discounted life insurance.
Very competitive
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 27, 2017
Very good place to work but this is a very competitive field. If you are a very good salesman, and you can get a lot of referrals, then you might be able to thrive in the business
Great company
Field Clerical Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNApril 25, 2017
Would have stayed but company moved out of town,good benefis ,paid holidays ,good training, Happy people ,intelligence and professional ways and appearance.
Don't Waste Your Time
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 10, 2017
Insurance in general is tough, and W&S doesn't give the tools some of the other companies do. Without a book of business and proper training, it didn't take long to figure out this wasn't a good job.
Pros
Cons
Low morale, pay, and high stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western & Southern Life. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9