Western & Southern Life

Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

Western & Southern Life
Registered Representative (Current Employee), Hickory, NCApril 7, 2015
Pros: Work Environment, high income, great management support
This is an excellent company with great management. It is a great opportunity and they provide an excellent and positive culture for their employees.
Pie in the sky
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Maitland, FLApril 3, 2015
Pros: healthcare
Cons: management
Just keep telling you to hang in there for 5 years and it would all pay off. The manager new less than the agents and failed to come to work most days.
Horrible micro management
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 1, 2015
Pros: not minimum wage pay
Cons: horrible expensive benefits, micromanaging managers, no support from upper management, only the Good Ol Boys matter
Horrid micromanagement. Putting people into positions of management when they have NO idea of company policies, procedures or even the company laptop.
Unless you want to be a robot and do exactly what you are told and nothing more nothing less, this isn't the place you want to work.
horrible benefits
you must use your personal car, personal cell phone, even after working hours your management expects you to be on call
Manager
Staff Sales Manager (Former Employee), PIqua, OHMarch 17, 2015
Be ready to work long days and hours. Your pay will be up and down from week to week but if you put the time into this position then your income is unlimited.
Financial Representative--networking and cold calling to open financial services--primarily life insurance
Financial Representative (Former Employee), OhioMarch 1, 2015
Pros: job opportunity, health ins., people
Cons: no job work/life balance, compensation, too many variables out of your control to get approved business
No job work/ life balance. If you can find people who want and can afford your services and the policies are approved, then great. I wasn't as fortunate. They keep part of your compensation in your employee "bank" so that if you leave, you don't get it back. The people (co-workers and management) are very nice. You learn how to sell more than anything else. I work to make money and this was disappointing. Ask many, many questions about what will be expected of you and what your schedule will be like. They may say you have control of your schedule and, if they do, ask what meetings you'll be required to attend and what your direct supervisor will expect you to do. Know that they are selling you to get people enrolled, so make sure it's a good fit for you.
Bar life is rough and the location sucks
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: staff
Cons: management
The management follows you everywhere and hounds you, the location is poor, and it is not a good job for family life. Staff is amazing and the customers who do come down are great.
A Lot of Work for So Little
Financial Representative (Former Employee), NCFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: managers of my district were great, can get finra certs.
Cons: too much cold-calling, door-to-door sales, commission based, company refuses to advertise in any media except mail.
I feel that this company could do so much better. Most of your days as a Financial/Sales rep will be TRYING to get more appointments and meeting those you have. you are "encouraged" to get 12 appointments for each following week, of which 3-4 should be new sales. When you are not going to businesses or people's homes door-to-door to sell your products (which I can tell you, people hate). Also, you WILL take part in twice-a-week call sessions (where you will call people at their home between 5:30 and 8pm (yeah, even current clients hate that). Before I left, they had us cold-calling businesses in the local area as well, during working hours (working people HATE that too).
Oh, and 80% of the time, when you meet clients or potential clients, you will meet them at their work or their homes. So, have a good car, a GPS device and keep track of your mileage.

You get caught in the numbers game. 300 calls to get 12 appointments EACH week, to get 2-4 new sales EACH week. If you are not a good salesman (or more analytical, like me) this can be soul-draining.

if you are new to insurance/financial services you get 1.5 months of training, where you will get paid $550/week. Afterwards, you get paid 100% commission. Hopefully in training period you build up enough in commission funds to get you through sales droughts. (most of your commission goes into a fund where you are occasionally paid from it).

you will have to be licensed to sell insurance to get this job, and they are not cheap. hopefully, your W&S branch will give you a good discount for materials and the exams.

As an agent, you – more... are responsible for a list of current clients. Yes your duties include fulfilling client requests (loans, option changes, etc). But really, you are supposed to use your current clients to scrap new sales. CC fulfillment take up about 10% of your time, unless management changes your duties. In my office, ALL Current client requests was delegates to our receptionist (at least 4000 clients) and all agents would instead focus 100% on sales.

The thing is, W&S is stuck in the 1880's in terms of marketing itself. They rely on word of mouth and door-to-door sales for marketing their products. No local print, TV or radio media. (CEO even said in a company wide email that they would NOT add new media as the company has done fine on what they do now). Most people thought it was a railroad company instead of Insurance. I had the option of advertising myself in our local paper, but they would not pay for it. I would have to pay MYSELF for any non-mail ads.

They do have a website that briefly describes their products, but it directs it to sales reps instead of offering a buy-your-own. I did see one W&S TV commercial in 2014, during the Rose parade. Haven't seen once since.

I can say about my branch/district was that my managers were great. District manager was a minister and was a great all-around guy. Helped me out whenever he could, as he thought I would do great with a business degree. Regional manager went to my college, so he could see relate to where I was in life. When I decided to quit, both tried to keep me, but they volunteered as references for me in my job hunt. ( seeker beware: your managers may vary).

I have a degree in Finance and was planning to use this job to get FINRA Certifications. Reps are "encouraged" to earn their 6 & 66 so they can sell Mutual funds and other investment products. (those reps get paid really well). Some even get Series 7 and later move on to become stockbrokers. The thing is, you have to get through sales for several months to get sponsorship. If you can do that, can be a good place to get certifications.

I left when I realized I was not a salesman and it was too much work for too little reward. Two weeks after I left my office closed and clients are now serviced by a branch 1 hour away.

They have fairly-good products, but if they have better coverage with media ads they'd be so much more efficient in generating revenue. – less
Wonderful place to work.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 18, 2014
Great place to learn the company and the people their are willing to help you with anything that you can think of. great teachers, great staff.
Need to clear alot of hurdles to keep job.
Financial Representative (Current Employee), High Point, NCNovember 23, 2014
Pros: management is ethical in its dealings.
Cons: alot of hard work!
Company makes it challenging to keep job by establishing production standards. Benefits are excellent! Management and culture is better than alot of insurance companies.
Nice Place to Work
Registered Representative (Former Employee), Lima, OHNovember 10, 2014
Pros: culture
Cons: pay structure
Good culture
Good work enviorment
Good Management
co workers were great to work with and helpful
Lots of prospecting, not enough closing
loved helping people
Productive and Fun work place
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Kinston, NCOctober 13, 2014
Pros: excelent commission
Cons: location
Western and Southern is a great company. With discipline and determination the right person can make a really good living with this company. The best part about Western and Southern is the Manager. He is a great trainer and goes above and beyond for his staff.
Very helpful people
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2014
Enjoy working there tremendously. The managers are extremely hands on. You will learn a lot
Stay away from Whack & Shady !!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ohio, Muncie, Richmond, LayfayetteAugust 17, 2014
Pros: benefits (although high the 1st year ) nice staff, flexible
Cons: lack of coaching, slow underwriting, fees, call sessions and wasted time. knife wound.
It is a good dream for weeks 1-7 then after 8 the nightmare and realities begin. I didn't receive my exclusive field time and development because the office had more agents suffering then thriving. Later found they weren't suffering at all they just didn't try or care they had other income. Staff was fun and nice lots of laughs they were bad influences though. Most of them admitted to not setting 12 appointments or working no more then 25 hours a week if that but the manager made up numbers too sometimes. The staff managers were nice and knowledgable but had a lot going on so the office wasn't ran effectively at times . To keep his job he was spread other places and was even less available. A couple of times out in the field I ran accrossed things that I wasn't trained on and I felt like I was setup to fail .Some district meetings with other managers showed that different managers bought about different results. I see people write about free lunch that is only the corporate office nothing is free. Starting from the things you need to start your career on. You don't get mileage, pay for a computer postage, and more. Couldn't even get a Kleenex or bandaid, and it was dirty. If you talk about quitting intervention is coming with a half the day lockdown don't want to lose people empty office = empty pockets for managers. The management was unprofessional with an account of mine it costed a client money unnecessarily and after months of time just stopped calling. So they went else where and was done in one day. You spend a lot of your time doing maintenance to old messed up accounts – more... explaining they need more money. Also book of business is like the valley of dry bones picked clean over worked and by time you get there your calling the paid up, broke, sick people clients and they feel harassed. Underwriting is a slow joke nobody gets. As if products aren't limited if declined the guaranteed alternative takes them from affordable to outrageous. A 1/4 of the insurance @ 3x the price. The agency manager twofold mission is failing. This company has an high outrageous turnover rate for a reason save your time money and effort. – less
Best advice--stay away
Former financial representative (Former Employee), Raleigh NCJuly 12, 2014
Pros: health insurance
Cons: everything else
Joined W & S solely for the health insurance. There was so much about the job that deserved a "D" or an "F" grade that I later used the health insurance extensively. Turnover is high, but that's true for insurance sales in general.
Fun and Productive place to be.
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVMay 2, 2014
Pros: helping other people.
Cons: when it doesn't work out, to be able to help other people.
Always learning the ins and outs of what is going to be the best solutions for your needs.
Been with company 6 weeks. So far so good!
Financial Rep (Current Employee), NCApril 18, 2014
Pros: flexible with staff manager
Cons: slow underwriting
I've been with W&S for 6 weeks. So far everything the SM and the ASM promised has come to pas (thats if I do what I'm supposed to do). When I come off the gurantee salary I will be making well over 1000 per week. The underwriting is somewhat slow but the SM stated that the tedious underwriting keeps W&S rates competative.
I've seen a lot of bad reviews and based on my experience; these reviews are from folks who just don't want to work. I was told up front that hard work would be required. I put in about 50 hours per week and my days are fast moving. 12 appt per week equal 3-4 good sales. Get a name, See the name and ask the right questions. Find people who work for a living. They are more likely to keep business on the books. So for all those who bash W&S, just try working the system that has been put in place for you to be successful. It works!
Well established company.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Springfield, MOMarch 13, 2014
Very little training offered to new people in the business, although much was promised in the interview process. Sales quotas were required the first week before I even learned what the products were.
Sale Life Insurance
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Riverside, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: benefits okay.
Cons: phones sessions mandatory. manegers are very moody.
Need to go to the office to do Phone Sessions 3 times a week.
Go In on Saturdays for Phone Sessions.
Overall a great place to work at for an older person.
INSUARANCE AGENT (Current Employee), Portage, INFebruary 8, 2014
-Meet with your manager and clerical. Make appointments, calls, and prospecting.
-I've learned a lot about life and health insurance.
-Management there is great.
-Hardest part is getting in front of people/Appointments
-Most enjoyable part is after you make a life insurance sale you feel like you did a good job by helping a family out.
Typical Day
Financial Representative (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 5, 2013
A typical day involves assisting current clients with policy changes and meeting with potential clients to present plans and policies to them.

Western & Southern Life Salaries