Western & Southern Life

Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

Amazing Company, Amazing People
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCMarch 1, 2016
I believe strongly in Western and Southern! Truly a solid company that cares about their clients as well as employees. My personal manager(s) are wonderful leaders and care about the reps in their charge.
I would recommend this company first to anyone looking to work in life insurance or financial services as well as any clients.
I am also a client and will remain so!
Pros
Wonderful benefits, caring, supportive leaders
Cons
Outside sales is not for everyone, if you are able, you will succeed with W&S
Very productive and fun place to work.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 12, 2016
Over 30 yrs. in the insurance business,great company and great place to work.Sales ,service,recruiting and training was a typical day at work.
Pros
Great Benefits
...Job Description
Financial/Sales & Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCJuly 21, 2016
.....Financial/Sales & Marketing Representative - Ensuring people’s lives with life insurance, health insurance, final expense plans and financial decisions for their future. Meet with clients to identify their needs and their family’s needs, cost/plan analysis, come up with solutions, set appointments, prospect, event marketing, seminars, trade shows, and participate in job fairs for potential new hires, customer retention, lead management, sales and marketing strategizing, establish and improve client communications. Top Sales Agent in the Hillsboro, Ohio Office as well as the Statesville, NC, Office, # 2 Top Sales Agent in the Country for the Month of October 2015. Ambassador for the Statesville Chamber of Commerce.
Western-Southern Life Insurance Company
Life Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioOctober 3, 2015
Western-Southern Life Insurance company is part of the Western-Southern Financial Group. WSFG provides subsidized parking/bus card. Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Free library and computer use. Free health club. Excellent medical and dental benefits. Commensurate industry salary/wages. I believe WSFG is one of the top places to work in the Cincinnati Tri-state area.
Financial Representative--networking and cold calling to open financial services--primarily life insurance
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 1, 2015
No job work/ life balance. If you can find people who want and can afford your services and the policies are approved, then great. I wasn't as fortunate. They keep part of your compensation in your employee "bank" so that if you leave, you don't get it back. The people (co-workers and management) are very nice. You learn how to sell more than anything else. I work to make money and this was disappointing. Ask many, many questions about what will be expected of you and what your schedule will be like. They may say you have control of your schedule and, if they do, ask what meetings you'll be required to attend and what your direct supervisor will expect you to do. Know that they are selling you to get people enrolled, so make sure it's a good fit for you.
Pros
job opportunity, health ins., people
Cons
no job work/life balance, compensation, too many variables out of your control to get approved business
Good fellow agents willing to help others
Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, La.September 9, 2015
A company with long history of strength. Competitive for their specific market. What I learned is that you can't care for your clients more than they do about their life insurance.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
compensation model
Horrible micro management
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 1, 2015
Horrid micromanagement. Putting people into positions of management when they have NO idea of company policies, procedures or even the company laptop.
Unless you want to be a robot and do exactly what you are told and nothing more nothing less, this isn't the place you want to work.
horrible benefits
you must use your personal car, personal cell phone, even after working hours your management expects you to be on call
Pros
not minimum wage pay
Cons
horrible expensive benefits, micromanaging managers, no support from upper management, only the Good Ol Boys matter
Great company
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 26, 2016
Great company, great training program, friendly coworkers. For the most partyou make your own schedule, great policies to offer, not the line of work you want to be in if you have no natural market in the area
Passion for Sales
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCJuly 2, 2016
This is a great company for someone that was to try sales. They have great training and delevopment classes. If you are unable to sale you paycheck will show. Not for the faint at heart.
Pros
work invironment, benefits
Cons
Commission based pay
Intense sales job.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 12, 2016
If you have a passion for sales and some long hours this is a good company to work for. The offices are always neat and clean and the employees are typically conservative in nature.
High School Enviroment
Entry Level (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 23, 2016
Worked for 5 years in same entry level position. All though there is a high turnover in the company with a lot of internal hires, the management is terrible, very micromanaged. If you question or have an opinion about anything, then you are labeled as a trouble maker and will be black listed. They like to mold people to walk and talk in a "yes sir/no sir" kind of mentality. They will hire and promote people even if they aren't qualified. They will also award bad behavior among associates, even if its at the expense of someone else.

Associates are also very Catty. There where a few that where good to me, but it was all about the bottom line of getting ahead. While there is a strong emphasis on being professional at all times in appearance and work, it only applies to a select few. They often held me to a much higher standard while others where allowed to exhibit child like and often immature behavior. It also lacks diversity in ideas and associates (ethnicity), everybody has to be the same. You'll stand out like a sore thumb if you look, talk, and walk differently. If someone doesn't like it, you won't last long. You'll be lucky to even get hired, it helps to know someone already working there because they like to hire peoples friends and family members.
Pros
free lunch, food days, 401k, health/life insurance
Cons
45 min lunch, micromanaged, incompetant managers, high school enviroment, Catty behavior.
Would not recommend to applicants - look elsewhere.
I.T. Support (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioApril 21, 2013
Salary and benefits about average for industry. Otherwise not a very good company to work for in my opinion. Unhelpful, sometimes rude co-workers, especially the long-timers. Limited lines of business and insurance for sale to customers. Very political, bureaucratic management type of environment. Decreasing benefits for newer employees. Overbearing HR department. Free lunch is provided, then managers and supervisors say that there is 'no such thing as a free lunch'. (Company is deeply into very annoying corporate psychology). If looking for employment in insurance or financial, my opinion is to not apply at W&S, look somewhere else.
Pros
salary/benefits about average
Cons
difficult corporate culture / co-workers
Corporate let me know on my first day there that they were closing the location in a month.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 3, 2016
Worked out of a book of business trying to contact in house clients to offer them more coverage. Easy going environment, but no help or structure from corporate office.
Conservative Workplace
CRC Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 2, 2013
A typical day on the job includes answering incoming calls and making outgoing call to conduct personal history interviews with clients applying for life insurance. Through working this job I learned excellent time management skills and how to work in an individual setting. The management is very helpful and open to new ideas. They're good about listening to your concerns and offering helpful solutions. The co-workers are very helpful, friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is being on phone calls for 8 hours a day with little breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to interesting and diverse people all day long
Pros
free lunches, great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Assistance form supervisor
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2014
-Typing, filing, recording reports of clientele from sales and collection form agents.
-I learned to find errors made in reports and recording of finance.
-Management had very good interpersonal relation.
-Some co-workers were rude and unhelpful, while others were comical.
-The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the rudeness of associates. Since I was from the South, coworkers could not adjust to my Southern accent.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is when my supervisor was so kindly supportive of me and the task I had to perform on a daily basis.
She never made fun of my accent, and was careful in what she would say.
Pros
lunch time
Cons
rudeness from co-worker, no benefits
If you work hard you will succeed
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHMay 2, 2016
The training is thorough. Upper Management is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Compensation is highest in industry, but depending on your market making a living is difficult.
Don't do it
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJune 1, 2016
Very poor work environment. Pay is very low. Lack of training and support system. I would not recommend this job. There is a lot of turnover.
owner operator
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norton, OHApril 9, 2016
This company lines its pockets with the sweat of their employees . Unappreciated and over worked . Management does not get along with management seems like one hand never knows what the other one is doing.
Pros
sales
Cons
unappreaciated
Been with company 6 weeks. So far so good!
Financial Rep (Current Employee) –  NCApril 18, 2014
I've been with W&S for 6 weeks. So far everything the SM and the ASM promised has come to pas (thats if I do what I'm supposed to do). When I come off the gurantee salary I will be making well over 1000 per week. The underwriting is somewhat slow but the SM stated that the tedious underwriting keeps W&S rates competative.
I've seen a lot of bad reviews and based on my experience; these reviews are from folks who just don't want to work. I was told up front that hard work would be required. I put in about 50 hours per week and my days are fast moving. 12 appt per week equal 3-4 good sales. Get a name, See the name and ask the right questions. Find people who work for a living. They are more likely to keep business on the books. So for all those who bash W&S, just try working the system that has been put in place for you to be successful. It works!
Pros
flexible with staff manager
Cons
slow underwriting
Na
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLMay 1, 2016
NA. Would not recommend for young individuals. The reason why is because you need a strong natural market in order to generate sales and commission honestly
Pros
na
Cons
na

2.9