Western Area Power Administration Employee Reviews

good company and people to work with and for
General Clerk Lead IV/Lead (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 16, 2017
very busy- learn anything new or required. hardest part is dealing with difficult customers- enjoy working with co workers and team players- i am lead in my area so easy to work with and talk to about most situations.
Big Government Company
Project Closeout Specialist (NorthStar Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 15, 2017
Worked as a government contractor performing project closeouts. This means that I worked with engineers and technicians after they finished building a substation (electricity) and I would assist preparing the reports for closing out the project.
Pros
Enjoyed working there.
Cons
Very governmental and my Supervisor has since been fired.
Great people
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 26, 2017
I worked over the summer and we worked hard and long days and always got the job done right. Sometimes we went out of town to work and stayed in hotels and they were always paid for.
Gone Bitter-Sweet
Software Developer Lead (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTNovember 13, 2016
Simply a startup that made big promises and vowed to 'spend someone else's money'. Management was flat: The President was the only manager. Management philosophy is based on the first chapter (I am convinced that is where he stopped reading) of From Good to Great.
Pros
good compensation if you negociate like you dont want the job, no longer exists
Cons
no longer exists
Reporting
Reports Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 9, 2015
Western Area Power Administration is part of the US Department of Energy. In the last position I held was as a Reports Administrator. I was responsible for report creation for the Financial and Operation reports for the agency. I worked with accountants, budget analysts, rate analyst and management to produce reports based on each set of requirements.

I enjoyed the challenge of taking the requirements and developing a report and getting the users approval. But on the other hand the hardest part was getting the approval. The user will change their mind and not really know what they were expecting.
Pros
The challenge of producing the report and knowing you assisted in a solution
Working shift work for Western Area Power Administration
Transmission and Scheduling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 20, 2014
Used computer screens for different programs. Updated, changed the data real time. Checked before and after each hour (24/7). Shift work led to a lot of alone time when working nights or weekends. Talking with other utilities was very satisfying.
fullfilling job with great workers
electronics equipment craftsman (Current Employee) –  Miles City, MTOctober 2, 2013
my job had great co workers that were generous on teaching what they could help you with. job provided schools for all of our new equipment. management was a little strange because of them not on hand to judge the workers that were under them. my job was communications and computers so the job had a lot of diversity which made it always interesting.
Pros
good working enviroment
Cons
having to drive in bad weather
Great Work Environment
Power System Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 2, 2013
Co-Workers were great to work with. I learned a lot about the electric industry.
Would not recommend younger self motivated employees to hitch their wagon to Western
Manager Transmission Switching Operations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2012
Was the most functional/dysfunctional team atmosphere I have ever seen.
People would accuse others of things, and cause time consuming investigations to be carried out damaging reputations and ruining careers without reprecussions to the perpetrator.
Management and employee lying was tolerated.
It was who you knew that counted.
Vindettas and black balling occurred.
Overall buildings, safety programs and ease of work was positive.
Pros
federal benefits-job security
Cons
lousy management, took to much time to accomplish things due to red tape and the napolean syndrom.