Western Carolina University

Western Carolina University Employer Reviews

Fun workplace
Student Worker (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: sometimes it's very boring
I work at a desk all day. I learned how to make labels. My co-workers were very laid back and talkative.
Review
Employee (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 22, 2014
I have enjoyed my time at WCU as a student worker and my transition into part-time employee.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 14, 2014
My job was as an office assistant on campus, I learned a lot about clerical work, as well as how to use Microsoft publisher. My co-workers and managers were great to work with, and I had a good time.
Well- paced and peaceful environment.
United States Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 8, 2014
Peaceful shift hours. Must be willing to scan and file a lot. Good organizational skills are a must. Fun co-workers and very understanding management.
Overall good place to work.
Housekeeper, Full-time (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCApril 27, 2014
Pros: nice people, hour long lunch once a month, benefits.
Cons: hours
The people at Western are great! The staff is very friendly as are the teachers and most students. The hardest part of the job is dealing with potentially gross situations. The most enjoyable part is being around the people at Western.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJanuary 30, 2014
I worked with the English Department as an Office Assistant. My typical day meant answering phones and guiding students to the proper information. I conducted research for faculty and helped with projects with the department head.
Decent
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCOctober 31, 2013
Pros: a single room, decrease in housing cost.
Cons: low pay for high work expectancy.
I learned many interpersonal skills from my years at western Carolina. Being an Resident Assistant allowed me to flourish with a respect for respect system. Students are hard to work with but if you show them a level of respect they will respect you back. As an Resident Assistant you are entrusted in creating a safe work environment for all residents – more... in you're building. Not only do you facilitate discussions in roommate and personal conflicts but you patrol the hall ways 4 times a week in order to deter wrong doing.
The hardest part of the job was managing school work, a personal life, and the RA job all at the same time. Being a resident assistant requires that you make yourself available for students even when it may not be the most appropriate time. The best part of the job was the community, residential living at western is very outgoing. This creates a very positive work environment. My supervisor was very understanding knowing that i am not only an employee but a student who is very busy. – less
Good experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCAugust 22, 2013
Pros: pay helps offset living and tuition expenses, opportunities for experience.
Cons: part time work only, no overtime, no benefits.
Good opportunity to work more closely with faculty while continuing studies. Plenty of research opportunities and some teaching experience.
A great school
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJuly 17, 2013
I love Western Carolina University and enjoyed my time working there as a Graduate Assistant.
Great to Work Place
Networking/Window Server/Programming Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJune 20, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Loved working for management. They will work with you, so that class and work life work together.
Working at WCU
Employee (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCJune 10, 2013
Pros: work environment, flexibility in scheduling, acknowledgement of work/family
Cons: pay
This is a great place to work. The pay is not great and raises are far and few between (sometimes 4 years, depending on the state budget and GA) but the university itself is wonderful. The faculty and staff are great to work with and the opportunities for advancement are great as long as you are a male. For the most part Management is great, but upper – more... level management seems unapproachable and not friendly or concerned about lower level employees. The new Chancellor seems to be setting a new standard for upper management and I have seen some changes in that overall attitude (Dr. Belcher is great and brings great attitude and energy to WCU). The Culture is laid back and easy going like the mountains WCU is located in. Job stability is phenomenal and health benefits as well as health activities and promotion on campus are wonderful. I expect even greater changes to come for the university, as upper management continues to adopt the Dr. Belcher attitude. – less
Awesome colleagues but some administrative difficulties
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCJune 6, 2013
A typical day included instructing students, setting up laboratory supplies for classes, student evaluation, etc.
I learned that I love to teach and the best ways to do so.
Dept management was excellent but overall college fair to poor.
I taught A&P labs and hated the dissection of cats particularly.
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my students – more... and determining how they were best able to learn. – less
WORK STUDY
Personal assistant- work study (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 23, 2013
Pros: fun and easy
Cons: low income flow
I was just looking to make extra money while in school. This job was fun and easy. So if you looking to make a quick buck and enjoy college life, Work study for any department really is the way to go!
Technical Crew/ Party Planner (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 5, 2013
Pros: good hours
Cons: bad pay, no benefits
Great place to learn basic elements to skills needed in a more advance work place
A wonderful entry level position with lots of leadership opportunity
Assistant Director of Admission (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 1, 2013
Pros: office, benefits, tuition discount, atmosphere, co-workers, travel
Cons: pay
This has been a dream job as a recent college graduate. The atmosphere was fun, exciting, and filled with new challenges daily. Everytime I would start to feel like I was falling into a monotonous routine, another responsability would be added or there would be a large change in the cycle to allow for a new skill to be learned.
Awesome boss and professors to work for
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMarch 16, 2013
Throughout a typical day, I would start by checking the return closet and returning any equipment used the previous day. I would then ask my boss if she needed help with general office tasks before heading off to class. I would do this a couple times a day, completing additional tasks whenever they were assigned to me by my boss or other professors.
Great learning opportunity
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMarch 11, 2013
Pros: flexable work schedule
Cons: yearly contracts that depend on enrollemnt numbers
I have had the pleasure of sharing my experience and knowledge of the construction and manufacturing industries to a couple of hundred students. I have been able to use my industry relationships to get many of them internships and their first jobs.
Great Place to work
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCFebruary 7, 2013
I loved working as as Resident Assistant. I was able to connect with each resident one-on-one on a personal basis. Pay was ok but the people I was able to meet and spend time with made it all great.
Fun, relaxing place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Design and update existing Western Carolina University brand collateral including a variety of print and digital advertisements such as brochures, billboards, web banners and digital signage.
Great start to your career
eMarketing Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCNovember 30, 2012
Western Carolina is a great place to begin your career as a college student. Supervisors are willing to teach you and help you through challenging situations.