Western Carolina University Employee Reviews

Already did this too
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 2, 2016
Im not reviewing a place more than twice. teamwork, ever-changing technology, interpersonal skills, ability to work and talk and process information simultaneously.
Very friendly place to work.
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 21, 2016
Can be demanding at sometimes. The salary is too low and the work expectation is too high...Very friendly place to work....
Not a lot of people around the area
Good community
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 19, 2016
WCU is a fun and friendly environment to work in. It could improve on compensation and benefits for employees, as well as better advancement opportunities.
Affordable and Valuable Education
Master's degree student (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 16, 2016
Western Carolina University provides it's students with an affordable program in various health sciences concentrations. The faculty were of very high caliber for such a small university.
Nice
Sandbox Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 16, 2016
Nice place to work, flexible schedule, easy to communicate with, will continue to work for during, nice people, good pay
Pros
easy
Experience working at WCU
Marketing and Student Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 15, 2016
WCU is a vibrant educational community focused on personal and professional development.

My job encompassed various marketing and communication tasks, as well as strategic planning responsibilities as it pertained to student recruitment. I communicated closely with colleagues in the International Programs Services as we operated under overarching departmental goals. I reported directly to the IPS Program Director.

The most valuable skills I have gained are:

- strategic, long-term marketing planning,
- understanding of logistical and administrative structure of a higher education institution,
- student outreach,
- planning and execution of a social media campaign.
Good not great
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 8, 2016
Great health benefits, below scale pay. Everyone knows it and they are trying to address it but no solution coming as of now. Laid back, low expectations, little growth.
Pros
Health benefits, location
Cons
pay, location
Wonderful Office Experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 16, 2016
I loved working for the University. This was a high pressure job but also gave me the ability to learn to multi-task. I loved being able to help the Vice-Chancellor.
great work environment, and amazing people to work with
Photography intern (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 9, 2016
-head shots of sports players
-action shots of every sports game
-provided images for magazines and newspapers
-edit all images for high end quality
Great place!!!
House Manager/Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to work for and a amazing place to stay, overall a great experience. Easy work with decent pay. Worked there several years ago and it was a blast.
Productive and positive workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 12, 2016
I absolutely loved working for my University! I was able to live where I worked, it was something new everyday, the residents were a lot of fun as well. I worked with first-year students and I loved that every year I got a brand new group of residents to guide, help, and plan programs for. This position is the epitome of teamwork and time management. My co-workers and supervisors are some of the best people, no matter the situation we lifted each other up, helped out if one was having a hard time or needed ideas for planning, etc. It is such a positive work environment, its contagious!
I learned how to balance work and my social life while earning two degrees, juggling multiple jobs, and a sorority all at once. The most important thing I learned was how to find the positive in every situation especially when it came to having to submit reports to the Department of Student Community Ethics about a resident's or group of residents actions, calling the University Police, EMS, etc. then trying to make them understand that it was not anything against them, it was simply that they made a bad decision that resulted in these consequences. Overall, my experience as an employee for Western Carolina University was amazing. I loved every second of it and would encourage other college students to get involved with their University!
Pros
Flexibility of schedules, support and encouragement from both supervisors and co-workers, salary increased each year
Cons
Received a paycheck once a month as a Resident Assistant
Productive and friendly working environment
Desktop Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 11, 2016
This job always had me working on something, whether it be taking apart computers everyday or working with people that had software issues. It was a great place to learn about Computer Information and Technology.
Great Enviornment
Architect's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCNovember 22, 2015
It fit well with classes, and it was made clear that school came first and then work. Everyone was a fun and enjoyable to be around.
Best Place ever
SYSTEMS & OPERATIONS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCSeptember 28, 2015
This is the ideal place to work if you want a relaxed environment that encourages learning in the classroom and in the workplace. Cullowhee is an awesome place to work and play and the co-workers are equally awesome. The new Chancellor has created a much more inviting and enjoyable environment.
Pros
Work environment is great
Cons
State job so the financial compensation is lacking
Easy going, fun-loving communtiy
Lab Prep Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCSeptember 26, 2015
Welcoming environment where is was fun to learn and just be a part of the science department. Always ensured safety and an environment where you never felt pressured for a mistake or lack of knowledge.
Diverse
Precalculus Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NC, Private 1:1 tutoring, sessionsSeptember 10, 2015
This school is pretty diverse for its location, which helps include people with different beliefs. I like having a variety of options.
Pros
Diverse friendly
Cons
N/a
Productive and fun workplace
Coulter Faculty Commons (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCAugust 11, 2015
• Assisted the supervisor with office duties: printing, faxing, scanning, filling, and etc.
• Ran campus errands and put up flyers
• Helped with any school related event planning
• Assisted supervisor in planning for several events
Pros
Free snacks
A good experience working 2 different jobs at my alma mater
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 24, 2015
The biggest aspect of this job was officiating various intramural sports at an efficient level while building a rapport with fellow officials and competitors. Overall, this is a good part-time job to have while in school.
Pros
Gaining new understanding of various sports, making new friends/working with old coworkers
Cons
Lack of hours
Most professional and caring work environment I have ever experienced. My co workers were literally like family, but consummate professionals too.
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 16, 2015
This job required a lot of attention to detail. Some parts of the year were incredibly busy, while other seasons were more laid back. This was due to the normal cycle of admissions. The management was excellent, and very minimal as far as watching over your shoulder. They were very flexible and treated employees like human beings with real needs. All of my co-workers were like that as well.
Pros
Excellent benefits package, great management, and very team driven.
Cons
Being a state job, the pay left a little bit to be desired.
Fun place to learn and work
Tech Crew Photographer (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 2, 2015
My job as even photographer was fun an engaging and the management was professional and easy to work with especially on a students schedule.

4.5