Western Carolina University

Western Carolina University Employer Reviews

Nice and genuine place to work for and go to school
Associate Dean Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: university benefits; discount food, services and health care
Cons: early mornings
Wonderful place to work for. The administrators are caring and supportive and make themselves available after-hours. Rewarding place for people who genuinely enjoy helping others accomplish their goals (i.e. Graduate College).
Great experience and knowledge gained in an exciting environment
Senior Project (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJanuary 23, 2015
I have learned everything needed in order to land a great job in my field of study outside of college. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for the education.
Freelance Tutor in College
Private Tutor (Former Employee), Cullowhee NCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: make my own schedule, enthusiastic students
Cons: not a career
This wasn't an employed job, I found students in the program who needed my help and charged for lessons by the hour. Fun, and a great learning experience, but not a job that could support any lifestyle. It was more of a hobby than a job, but still a good experience.
Typical office job with a friendly boss
Interior Design Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJanuary 13, 2015
I enjoyed working in the office. It got me some much needed work experience and I would definitely still be there had I not switched majors.
Great
College Athlete (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCOctober 17, 2014
Great place to be, also has a wonderful view of the mountains.
fun place to work as a student, great pay
Residential Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCOctober 3, 2014
Pros: good pay as a student
Cons: rather long hours
I enjoyed my time working here and the work environment was great. The hours are slightly long and the "as assigned" jobs were rather annoying and took up a lot of time.
Productive and good working area
1) Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJuly 10, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: healthcare
I have completed my Master of Science in Chemistry and Master of Philosophy in Nanotechnology. I have 5 more years research experience and teaching about chemistry, nanotechnology, and biotechnology area.
Fun workplace
Student Worker (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: sometimes it's very boring
I work at a desk all day. I learned how to make labels. My co-workers were very laid back and talkative.
Review
Employee (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 22, 2014
I have enjoyed my time at WCU as a student worker and my transition into part-time employee.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 14, 2014
My job was as an office assistant on campus, I learned a lot about clerical work, as well as how to use Microsoft publisher. My co-workers and managers were great to work with, and I had a good time.
Well- paced and peaceful environment.
United States Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 8, 2014
Peaceful shift hours. Must be willing to scan and file a lot. Good organizational skills are a must. Fun co-workers and very understanding management.
Overall good place to work.
Housekeeper, Full-time (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCApril 27, 2014
Pros: nice people, hour long lunch once a month, benefits.
Cons: hours
The people at Western are great! The staff is very friendly as are the teachers and most students. The hardest part of the job is dealing with potentially gross situations. The most enjoyable part is being around the people at Western.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJanuary 30, 2014
I worked with the English Department as an Office Assistant. My typical day meant answering phones and guiding students to the proper information. I conducted research for faculty and helped with projects with the department head.
Decent
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCOctober 31, 2013
Pros: a single room, decrease in housing cost.
Cons: low pay for high work expectancy.
I learned many interpersonal skills from my years at western Carolina. Being an Resident Assistant allowed me to flourish with a respect for respect system. Students are hard to work with but if you show them a level of respect they will respect you back. As an Resident Assistant you are entrusted in creating a safe work environment for all residents in you're building. Not only do you facilitate discussions in roommate and personal conflicts but you patrol the hall ways 4 times a week in order to deter wrong doing.
The hardest part of the job was managing school work, a personal life, and the RA job all at the same time. Being a resident assistant requires that you make yourself available for students even when it may not be the most appropriate time. The best part of the job was the community, residential living at western is very outgoing. This creates a very positive work environment. My supervisor was very understanding knowing that i am not only an employee but a student who is very busy.
Good experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCAugust 22, 2013
Pros: pay helps offset living and tuition expenses, opportunities for experience.
Cons: part time work only, no overtime, no benefits.
Good opportunity to work more closely with faculty while continuing studies. Plenty of research opportunities and some teaching experience.
A great school
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJuly 17, 2013
I love Western Carolina University and enjoyed my time working there as a Graduate Assistant.
Great to Work Place
Networking/Window Server/Programming Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCJune 20, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Loved working for management. They will work with you, so that class and work life work together.
Working at WCU
Employee (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCJune 10, 2013
Pros: work environment, flexibility in scheduling, acknowledgement of work/family
Cons: pay
This is a great place to work. The pay is not great and raises are far and few between (sometimes 4 years, depending on the state budget and GA) but the university itself is wonderful. The faculty and staff are great to work with and the opportunities for advancement are great as long as you are a male. For the most part Management is great, but upper level management seems unapproachable and not friendly or concerned about lower level employees. The new Chancellor seems to be setting a new standard for upper management and I have seen some changes in that overall attitude (Dr. Belcher is great and brings great attitude and energy to WCU). The Culture is laid back and easy going like the mountains WCU is located in. Job stability is phenomenal and health benefits as well as health activities and promotion on campus are wonderful. I expect even greater changes to come for the university, as upper management continues to adopt the Dr. Belcher attitude.
Awesome colleagues but some administrative difficulties
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Cullowhee, NCJune 6, 2013
A typical day included instructing students, setting up laboratory supplies for classes, student evaluation, etc.
I learned that I love to teach and the best ways to do so.
Dept management was excellent but overall college fair to poor.
I taught A&P labs and hated the dissection of cats particularly.
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my students and determining how they were best able to learn.
WORK STUDY
Personal assistant- work study (Former Employee), Cullowhee, NCMay 23, 2013
Pros: fun and easy
Cons: low income flow
I was just looking to make extra money while in school. This job was fun and easy. So if you looking to make a quick buck and enjoy college life, Work study for any department really is the way to go!

Western Carolina University Salaries