Western Carolina University Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 15, 2017
WCU offers excellent benefits and various work schedules. It's great that I can take up to three classes per year tuition waived. Driving a cat tran on campus allows interaction with students, faculty and staff.
Pros
Free classes for full-time employees
Cons
long way to drive to work
Loved working for WCU
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 11, 2017
Great University to work for. State benefits. Employees are like a big family and take care of each other. University is growing and developing each year.
Great university and atmosphere but limits open opinions
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 5, 2017
WCU is a beautiful campus that is always growing and drawing attention from students across the state and further. I decided my freshman year to apply for a Resident Assistant position. The job was very fulfilling and allowed me to help residents adjust to the new community and address any problems they had. However, management and peers were very political and stifled any opposing beliefs, claiming they "created distrust from your residents". Overall I would recommend this to anyone on the fence.
Pros
Great experience, decent pay, make many friends
Cons
Some long nights, Got to be the "bad guy", very liberal campus
Welcoming work experience with added room for growth
Campus Bookstore Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NC 28723May 29, 2017
I enjoyed the year I spent working at the bookstore and my job did not consist of a typical cashier work day, in fact I worked in all facets of the store. This was not because of a shortage of employees but because of the proficiency the manger wanted to instill in cases where emergencies needed to be solved quickly.
See below
Chief Audit Officer (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 18, 2017
Lack of resources make an otherwise wonderful place to work very difficult. This does not look as if it will change anytime soon. Resources are dependent on legislative activity.
summary
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 9, 2017
I great place to work. Inclusive of all employs and makes the work environment a friendly one. i would definitely recommend this position to a friend!!
Good learning curve job
ANNUAL GIVING COORDINATOR ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCApril 3, 2017
The Annual Giving Assistant is a great position that offers a low learning curve. Tasks are mostly administrative with some data verification and entry in to the system. You are also tasked to manage student supervisors in the evening by setting and maintaining calling pools for the student callers.
great university
Assistant Coach Womens Basketball (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 30, 2017
This was a great place to work. Beautiful campus and a great family environment. Good health benefits, good pay, and great support from the administration.
Great school
School Counselor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 29, 2017
I was doing an internship and enjoyed working with the children at the Early College. They really brightened my day and they made me look forward to working with them.
Brilliant
RA (Current Employee) –  Norton Road HallMarch 27, 2017
Fantastic people to work with. I loved every second of it. Working in residential living was easily one the highlights of my college career, and I loved the skills I gained.
Great atmosphere and caring supervisors
Course Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 15, 2017
At the WaLC, the atmosphere is relaxed yet still professional. My supervisors, while still my boss and expectant of a certain maturity, they grew to really care for me as a person and want the best for me. The hours are flexible so as to never overpower class work.
WCU rocks
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 13, 2017
I loved working at WCU and was a graduate student as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, pleasant work environment, and the best students in the world.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Peanuts.
Great college job!
Student Mail Center Lead Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 21, 2017
I very much enjoyed working for Western Carolina University while I was in college. The mailroom was a great college job and I recommend it to anyone!
Great school in the mountains if you aren't fond of large schools
Lab Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 6, 2017
WCU is placed high in the Appalachian mountains, and has many opportunities for multiple outdoor activities. Faculty are very helpful and personable.
Excellent place to work
Presently adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Working at WCU is a great experience. Staff/faculty is very team oriented. Faculty wants the best for students. You have opportunities fro research. Your opinions are respected .
Pros
Team approach
Cons
nothing
Fun place to be
Carolina Panthers Football Club Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 27, 2017
Lots of interesting people were there. Learned everything about athletic training here. I am more prepared when I came out of WCU than I anticipated. Great teachers that gave a lot of good experience.
Wcu
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 14, 2017
Great to work for, always there for you when you need it and willing to work with you when things come up. One of the best jobs I have ever had!
Lots of Flexibility
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 13, 2017
Western is a wonderful place to work, lots of flexibility and a fun atmosphere. They work around your school schedule, and you can also work from home with certain positions.
Great place to work.
Student Computing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCDecember 9, 2016
This is a fantastic play to work for students, however, if you would like to have the opportunity for advancement, then I am not sure if this is the place for you.
Pros
Great work environment, nice people, and great pay.
Cons
Low chance for advancement and managerial issues.
Great Expirience
Head of Media (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCNovember 30, 2016
I worked for the band for three years, and it was a great expirience. Not only did I learn invaluable people skills and how to deal with large crowds, but also how to better myself and my time management skills.