Western Connecticut State University Employee Reviews

A rewarding experience mainly because the wonderful student body
Journalism Professor (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 22, 2017
I came here expecting to teach one semester and I wound up staying for 30 years. I've taught nearly all of the writing courses offered and found each one challenging and rewarding at the same time.
Truly enjoyed working there.
Adjunct Professor of Photography (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 10, 2017
Keeps you on top of your game.
If I dare say so it was fun working there . Because one can do a lot of good there. Sure for some classes you get students that just want a good grade BUT then you get other students that really want to learn. Those are the fun ones for you can really help them.
Cons
The B&W chemicals get dust in them so I would filter them out for the students.
Great Place to learn and grow
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  DanburyMarch 29, 2017
My typical day involved writing press releases for the university. My assignments range from informative pieces to human interest pieces. My favorite part of the job is getting to know new people and learn about them and what they are most passionate about, which is also the most difficult part. Sometimes I have a deadline and don't have a lot of time to build a strong relationship with the people I am interviewing, so it is challenging to get them to open up sometimes. I have learned a lot about AP style and mostly about how to form relationships quickly and how to establish and maintain trust.
Pros
Flexible hours, great boss!
Cons
Can be repititive
Stable and challenging environment
Oracle DBA /Banner DBA/Unix Admin (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CT,USAMarch 23, 2017
The nice place to work, it was a start of Banner , so learnt everything about Banner on Oracle here , managed and maintain the systems from scratch. Nice and friendly environment
Distracting environment
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTMarch 1, 2017
as a freshman if you are unsure of what you would like to major in there are not very many people that will lead you in the right direction. Times may have changed but there was no guidance what so ever.
Residential Life is Heartfelt
Resident Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 26, 2017
I enjoyed meeting new faces and helping to guide young minds towards their greatest potential.Campus residential living situations are student's first experiences away from home and with roommates which can be challenging. It's encouraged for each student to learn healthy communication techniques and become involved in activities to enhance their growth and assist in transition from not living at home. As a Residence Hall Director there is a very thin line between work and personal life and finding that balance of separation without always feeling like you are working was challenging. I was able to notice weaknesses within myself so I could strengthen them and still be able to provide insight to my students.
Hands on learning environment
lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTNovember 1, 2016
First time working with someone one on one and it was a great experience. I got to learn a lot from the professor that hired me and always pointed me in the right direction to learn things on my own.
productive work place
Admissions Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJune 5, 2016
good place to work while going to school. easy work. fun to be hands on and work with incoming students. friendly co-workers.
Great Work Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 23, 2016
The opportunities provided here are unlike any other. It is rare to find a university that lets its graduate students teach a class completely on their own. It is a wonderful experience, and the professors and other faculty that are there for guidance are helpful and are great supports.
Great
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 11, 2016
Flexibility and stability hours are great. The work environment is great and welcoming. My Managers always help me questions I have about things in the office and clear my confusion. As well as interact with me respectively.

Want to know more about Western Connecticut State University?

Ask a question
An inclusive, dedicated, and productive environment
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJanuary 22, 2016
The Campus and Student Center was an excellent first time work environment, each staff member was given plenty of opportunities and responsibilities to advance themselves. Management was always willing to listen to ideas and grievances and would often stop by during the day to check in on employees.
wonderful work environment
Adjunct Arabic Professor (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTOctober 15, 2015
It is a great workplace, I was honored to work with very well-known and smart professors. the school has amazing professors working at the language department. Each one of my colleagues has numerous publication and awards.
Cons
school operate on very low bydget
great experience and very cooperative stuff
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 5, 2015
My experience at westconn as a TA was amazing. I enjoyed working there. the only reason i left was because I transferred to University of Connecticut. otherwise I love teaching and student were very satisfied with my teaching.
Pros
on campus and flexible during exam week.
Okay place
Adjunct Professor - Astronomy (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTAugust 2, 2015
As an adjunct for one semester, I did not spend enough time there to provide a fair review. I enjoyed teaching the astronomy course.
Pros
fun
Cons
low pay as an adjunct
The people were great and the experience is unforgettable.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJuly 16, 2015
As my first job, I was very happy, I learned so much and did so much. The staff were great and my co-workers were wonderful, we were working as a team.
Pros
Free stuff
Cons
No health coverage
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJune 23, 2015
I enjoyed those I worked with and I learned something new everyday. I personally looked forward to going to work everyday.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
N/a
Productive and steady environment
Student Assistant Secretary (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 2, 2015
Diverse cliental, where it's professors, administrators, or students answering their questions and leaving messages for the Chair of the Education and Educational Psychology Department.

Constant filing and organizing student and staff documents.

Assisted in preparing several projects for professors of the Education Department.
Pros
Flexbile to my schedule
Cons
Only required to work "x" amount of hours per week
Everyone is nice
University Assistant in Events (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTMarch 1, 2015
Everyone here is really great to work with and always willing to help. Working here is a life experience. I've learned multiple different life skills that will help me throughout my life.
Pros
really nice people, really helpful
Cons
part-time
Not a terrible place to work
Assistant Degree Auditor (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 1, 2014
I audited degrees along with advising students who were up for graduation or who needed general advisement. Answered all questions pertaining to the University and its policies.
Excellent experience
Adjunct Laboratory Instructor (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTNovember 28, 2014
Excellent experience working with undergraduate nursing students. Taught both clinical courses and labs. Worked well with other professors and management. Most enjoyable part of this position was working with undergraduate nursing students - excited to start their careers in nursing. Students are eager to learn and concurrent courses compliment each other well.