Western Digital Employee Reviews

Remarkable workplace
Senior System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 22, 2015
The Management and leadership of executives are incredible.
It is a wonderful work environment. Everyone will enjoy being part of such an organization. Will recommend.
Pros
Excellent
Good company to work for money
Sr. Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 8, 2015
Good bonus, not so good medical and dental insurance. People are usually friendly. Not as stressful as compared to other semiconductor companies.
This is a satellite office of a large corporation with a matrix management structure.
Director of Product Marketing (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 1, 2015
There are some really good people that work out of this office even after numerous reorganizations. It is a challenging time in the desktop storage industry and WD seems to be making the right changes to weather the storm.
Challenging place
Group leader/mechanical technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaliforniaOctober 19, 2015
Fun place to work with challenging tasks to get things done on a timely manner.
What I've learned is team work and communication is the key to success.
supportive and willing to cross train
Device Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 15, 2015
Western Digital was a good and fun place to work . My co- workers are very supportive.and willing to cross train when ever we get a chance.
Good
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 15, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how your personally grow and develop. Great managers and decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Fun place to work
Senior Project Engineer Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount View, CAOctober 13, 2015
Very fun place to work, free coffee all the time.
I have wonderful time working with WD. Nice company, good benefit and job work/life balance.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Need put up lot of overtime
Depressing Culture last year
Application & Platform Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 28, 2015
I worked at WD for 3 years. During this time WD culture changed from good to bad rather quickly. At the time of departure, the culture and personnel changes left many programs in flux. Bonuses were nice for the first year. Raises and promotions are few and far between. Limited professional growth.
Pros
Ping Pong, lounge, discounted products, ESPP
Cons
shady mangement, lack of visiblity, Raises/Promotions
Good people, good ideas, no solid vision from senior management (Consumer Products Div)
Analyst (Current Employee) –  IrvineSeptember 28, 2015
There are a lot of good, smart people working here. However, it seems that the "vision" changes with every release. Upper management wants one thing, it is delivered, then they want something totally different.

Either something changes or it is just a matter of time before it falls too far behind to ever catch up with the competition on any front.
Pros
Good people, good culture.
Cons
Upper management vision, easy for slackers to hide out.
productive and fun team
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine CASeptember 21, 2015
I like the team I was working with, all of us were productive and fun. such a great experience in a good company such as WD. Development of various diagnostic and optimization tests for hard disk drives, including media defect scan and defect management, improving product quality and reliability.
Embedded factory test firmware development in C++.
Experience HDD backend manufacturing process firmware design and development; C++ and embedded firmware development.
Software, firmware and system level debug skills.
Leadership on manufacturing process optimization across manufacturing and design teams.
SENIOR FIRMWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 15, 2015
Had a good opportunity to work with some great minds here and did some good work to contribute to the Storage industry. As a Senior Firmware Engineer involved in the coding and development of Firmware for Hard drives for Data Center related products and SATA drives and Personal Cloud Storage Solutions. Currently working on coding firmware and testing issues in SATA Drives and developing new features for new products, Writing test scripts and running test scripts and combos, root causing failures and doing the required firmware fixes.
Sr. Plating Engineering Tech (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 27, 2015
To obtain a responsible & challenging position of increasing responsibility where my work experience, job experience & technical skills can be utilized & provide opportunities for advancement
Productive workplace with great colleages
Sr. Electrical Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 26, 2015
In my time at Western Digital, I had the privilege of working with a great number of fantastic, passionate, friendly and engaging people. Through this experience, I learned a tremendous amount about engineering and manufacturing. In my role at PCBA functional test engineer, I was able to visit Malaysia, Thailand and Brazil in order to coordinate and train factory staff. My regular duties entailed designing test equipment and software for high volume test (up to 70 Million pieces per 3 months).

The hardest part of the job at this company would be the usual troubles encountered at any large company. Nothing was ever insurmountable, challenges always were easily resolved by finding and contacting the right person. If I were to advise anyone heading to this company, I would tell them that they should make sure to engage with others, and form networks outside of their own group.
Pros and Cons
Lead Data Center/Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 17, 2015
You enjoy working with peers, but management is blind to the work that is done. They are also unable to balance work load appropriately. they give some workers too much to do, and some hardly anything.

Pros: Greats co workers and learning oppurtunites
Cons: Terrible management structure.
New industry that I am happy to learn about
R&D Associate V (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 14, 2015
A friendly place to work
Learning new things
Very understanding Management
Nice co-workers
I want to expand my learning to more new things
I enjoy working with people here
Steadfast company in a challenged industry
Sales (Current Employee) –  USAugust 11, 2015
Very focused organization that has weathered many challenges and came ahead of the competition.

Company has good cash flow and is financially strong.
will review with future employer
Senior Staff, ASIC Development (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 8, 2015
this should be addressed on an individual basis, there was no meaningful work available, the company direction during my time was in a constant state of flux
Good place to work to bad it was a temp job
Shipper, (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 4, 2015
WD was a very nice place to work, very friendly and helping people.

Very helpful managers and very laid back vibe. Felt like i was appreciated rather then just another drone.
Pros
Laid back, great people
Cons
it was a temp job
Productive and fun place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 15, 2015
My position manages busy executive calendars and details of the most confidential and critical nature.

Executives have very important and somewhat stressful roles. All but the CFO treats the employees with respect.

Co-workers become great friends.

Hardest part of the job can be the 12 hour days.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. A true family atmosphere.
Excellent Company
Director Program Management (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 12, 2015
Great Dynamic cost efficient team model.
Excellent in technical expertise
Global and Local teams have good team dynamics
Pros
Everyone is approachable