Western Digital Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging place to work
NPI Operations Technician - FE Logistics support (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 24, 2017
challenging and dynamic environment.
It was a new field for me but with huge opportunities to learn. kind reasonable and coachable manager. Good environment with coworkers
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Healthcare program
Great people, rewarding work, horrible life/work balance culture
New Product Introduction - Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 17, 2017
Western Digital was one of the best places I have worked for to begin a career as an engineer. They provided lots of opportunity to continue growing as an engineer and there were never shortages of new technology to learn.

The only negative would be the fact that they are accustomed to getting the maximum productivity at all times out of each and every employee to the point of stressing most of the employees beyond their ability to cope. I lost some good friends to chronic illnesses due to stress related issues that went unresolved. Management prides itself on keeping their direct reports as busy as possible which is good but at times to a fault.

I loved the people I worked with and I got along well with most managers. They are a bunch of hardworking engineers that helped make a difference in the technology growth of storage.
Pros
Great people, fun projects
Cons
assignment overload to keep you at work for as long as possible per day.
A high tech company with average in everything
SAP Basis Administrator - HGST (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 31, 2017
There is nothing to brag about. It does not have the hype of other high tech companies. Compensation is an average. The SAP team knows they will be gone after the top management made a decision to move to Oracle ERP.
Fun, productively
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 28, 2017
I really want to work western digital.. but the problem when their slow they laid off me.. and I like the places this is a good company at all
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Firmware Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 16, 2017
WD is generally a good company, it is a leader in its space in the computer storage segment, follows best practices in management, design, development and manufacturing of products and most importantly seems to always make money! One great thing about the company is how transparent it is.

Off late with a slew of acquisitions and with the resulting restructuring, layoffs have been too frequent. People working in core teams and who are competent at what they do have been less affected. There are certainly exceptions to this and that is a gamble that a company that needs to preserve its financial statements takes. So there can be a lot of demoralized people depending on the team you join. On the other hand, if you join the right team, you have a great opportunity to grow with the company. The demand for storage is always high, so from that standpoint, it is a great industry to be in.

Storage is an interesting area of work without a doubt. Moving disks and moving parts made traditional storage technically fascinating. SSDs have their own sets of challenges with regards to reliability and performance which need to be solved with innovation and development.

Notice that I said WD is a good company. It is not great because what generally happens is once you get into an area of work, there is not much opportunity to go up in the organization beyond a certain designation. Too many old timers from the HDD times with tremendous but irrelevant (anymore) knowledge need to retire. However, if you want a steady income with a steady job especially in Southern California, you need look
  more... no further.  less
Pros
Fantastic office and location in Irvine.
Cons
Maternity leave and paternity leave are minimal.
I work from my home
Manager Retail Business Analysis (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ARJanuary 8, 2017
I work from my home. My co-worders are spread around the country but corporate is in Irvine California. My typical workday is sitting behind a desk analyzing data, sales trends and forecasts. I manage item creation as well and many other details. Management at Western Digital is all very nice people. Western Digital just acquired Sandisk and Hitachi and we have been under integration. The culture is changing and still undetermined. The most enjoyable part of my job is quiet time when working on fine details in a spreadsheet or "when" I get to be around co-workers. The hardest part of my job is the stress that you encounter from customers and simply trying to get it all done during stressful weeks.
Pros
Western Digital matches 401K and I get a bonus
Cons
A lot of people getting let go due to intergration
Great place to work!!
Technical Director System/HW architecture (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 29, 2016
Western Digital has a great vision of where they want to go.
They have a great work environment, employees.
I really enjoyed the type of work I did there.
Very rocky integration
Employee (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 20, 2016
While the reverse commute kept me hanging on longer than I wanted, the reality is that the leadership team has bitten off way more than it can chew: WD acquired Hgst, and Sandisk, and are trying to homogenize the three subs into one company. This means they went from a 40,000 employee company, to a +/-80,000 person company. There is a lot of planning and perseverance that need to happen in such an enormous integration. Systems, teams, product lines and cultures need to meld. Exec's are making decisions without fully understanding the final impact, because they don't have insight to the lower levels. Leaders aren't selecting comprehensive tiger teams to plan facilitation of these enormous tasks, and at the end of the day, they're not willing to back off from bad decisions or poor or faulty execution. That results in tremendous hardship for the lower level people who are just trying to do their jobs. And as people leave (voluntarily, or through many layoffs that are inevitable after acquisitions) there's no urgency to replace or reassign critical roles. Communication is nearly non-existent.

Any company of this size that misses a pay cycle to all legacy Hgst employees is simply not planning well! Leaders should be embarrassed. Exec's need to reach deeper into the employee population to plan and make facilitation and implementation decisions, as they clearly don't understand down the road impacts. There will be many more employees who give up along the way, and they're likely to be good ones. My guess is that by 2018 the worst issues will be resolved. Good luck!
Pros
Reverse commute, competitive pay
Cons
Chaos, uncertainty, un-integrated systems
Sputter machine
Sputter Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 13, 2016
Responsible for Sputter process development of magnetic recording media.Run Sputter Lean & Anelva system for new process development.Work with R&D Engineering to qualify the process.
sweat shop
Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Longmont, CONovember 11, 2016
70 hours / per week was the norm. lately this has improved since the merger with HGST. Promotions and raises were nearly non-existent for upper level engineers.
complete facilities for work out, eating, basketball, volley ball, etc.
Commercial Strategic Sales Sr. Director (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CANovember 6, 2016
WD is a no nonsense company with little empowerment and most decisions made at the executive level. Company has major amount of debt to pay off, which forces the executive team to focus on getting maximum postive operations cash flow.
Pros
Potential long term growth of company. Leading edge memory/storage technology.
Cons
Still going through lay offs to reduce overall expenses and increase positive cash flow.
productive with life balance
Sr. Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 1, 2016
Fine work place but hard disk drive TAM is decreasing.
WD is very good at low cost consumer products for PC and external personal storage.
The hardest part is the hands-on working 1st line manager culture.
Great before Western Digital merged
Mixed Signal ASIC Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 26, 2016
I hired on as an HGST employee out of college, and enjoyed the company. While it was not quite a startup culture, it was very evident that it was trying to compete in the job market. While things weren't perfect, and I didn't agree with everything the company did (ie use TCL) it was definitely a nice work environment overall. Once the Western Digital merger went through, people were cut, and projects were added. I was laid off in the merge, but none of my co-workers are happy with the increased work load.
Pros
Free Crossfit, Flexible work hours, flexible vacation
Cons
Shrinking company
Nice company to work for.
Staff Engineer Electronic Design, RSS HDI FW (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 14, 2016
The co-workers at Western Digital are very nice; managers and directors are good at technologies; the whole company is well-organized.
Great place to work everyday!!!
Device Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 28, 2016
Great place to work everyday!!!

Learned: Accountability, Integrity, Respect, Communication and Team Work.

Management: Great Management always motivate associate. Great training programs.

Co-workers: We learned a lot from each other. Always work as a team.

Hardest part job: Commute, 12 hours shift made it harder sometimes to spend time with family.

Most Enjoyable job: Appreciation and Incentives from the Management.
Productive and fun workplace
Account Manager/Customer Support/Sales (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2016
A typical day at works starts with completing any tasks from the prior day, returning phone calls or emails left on voice mail or email. Then continuing to complete any tasks or projects asked by the management. Tasks such as sales projects, inter departmental projects, and assisting with other coworkers projects. When all is complete, calls are required to new and existing customers to ensure all services are up to par.
Pros
Excellent management and coworkers, clean and fun environment.
Cons
Not enough work hours in the day
Very good opportunity to gain knowledge of storage technology industry
Business Strategy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 5, 2016
WD is the biggest storage company in the world after the merger with HGST and Sandisk. Overall, very good opportunity to learn about storage industry.
Productive and has a ping pong table in the cafeteria
SEM Engineering Tecnician IV (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work is always a busy day but manageable and fun environment because the people i work with are very friendly and family oriented. Management in our department is great. The only hard part of my job is if no one's around when it comes to very critical and sensitive matter but I guess that's where our training comes in handy when where under pressure.
Pros
Department picnics
Cons
A swiftly deteriorating corporate nightmare
Marketing & Sales (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 29, 2016
A somewhat progressive environment that took the occasional chance despite a staunchly corporate environment suffered from a series of mergers and acquisitions. What remains is a soulless, unimaginative, "old-school" company that relishes the old way of doing things at the cost of employee happiness.

"Well, at least we still have jobs" became the depressing motto of those individuals "lucky" enough to remain after a dizzying bevy of layoffs and restructures.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Horrible work culture
Just another "big company" now
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNAugust 24, 2016
The company pretty much defines what it does only on the basis of marketing and doesn't really have a vision to lead and innovate anymore. No more vision for technology, only to make money. If you want to really explore and innovate with software, unless they already know someone will buy exactly that, they just don't care. As such, the company is entering a period of stagnation, especially with the decline of drive sales.
Pros
Free coffee, nice benefits
Cons
Not a meritocracy any longer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Digital. Our community is ready to answer.