Western Express Employee Reviews

Good money if you are OTR team
Professional Driver OTR (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAFebruary 20, 2017
This company is not a bad company other than having a hard time getting paid what you earned. Keep track of you're money. The culture is okay, dispatch dms are all douche bags with the exception to a few and safety manager. Hardest part of the job is getting home. If you plan to be home on a certain date tell your dispatch you need be back a few days earlier; their trip planning isnt the best. Most enjoyable part of the job is every once in a while you get a good check.
Good
Driver Flatbed (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 20, 2017
This place is pretty good. You will run into problems of different sorts because there are so many things: equipment, appointment times, purcase order numbers or pickup numbers, directions or whatever. However, these guys have never left me stranded or without a solution. Most days are smooth and enjoyable when you're backed by 700 or 800 million dollars in a new truck. If freight is slow one week or they are not answering you-just hang in there. There are cycles sometimes. Then when it's over they will give some nice, long runs if you were mature in a low spot.
Pros
I would say the stability and resources of a powerful company.
Cons
Hmmmm. Well, it's Trucking after all.
Best Job Ive Had in Trucking
Lease Purchase Driver Contractor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 30, 2017
I am a Lease Purchase Driver. Been with company since January 2017.

The orientation process was great, no nonsense and professional.

Motel was exactly that, a motelm The room was nice, clean and I never experienced the bed bugs other talk about on You Tube. Breakfast could have had more of a selection.

Load securement training was good. Hit home on safety. Safety is top priority.

Ive had no issues with anyone at all. Office in main building is fast paced but everyone has been helpful.

If you base your decisions on what others tell you about this company, than all you will have is their perspectives. I made a wise choice in finding out for myself.
Pros
Nice Equipment, Nice People, Professional, Pay
Could have been better.
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 19, 2017
Due to the lack of proper operating equipment, things would have been much better. Had to recover a poorly maintained tractor/trailer which had been drained of energy and was in horrible condition.

Needed a preventative maintenance check as soon as I checked the engines and any motorized components.

Things were rushed most of the time while attempting to get from point A to point B. Wouldn't want to go back there.
Pros
Off weekends
Cons
poor equipment, rush jobs
The work place is ok, management says one thing and does not enforce it
Broker/tracker (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 22, 2016
When thing are normal it is a good place to work at, it doesn't happen that often. Management has his nitch of people and won't promote from with in. Micromanage time and has poor attitude towards employees, they have a big turn over reate. Most of my co workers were great. The hardest part is having management pass me by for promotions when qualified, the enjoyable pert is some co-workers
Pros
Broker/Tracker
Cons
Got set back by the VP of logistics and he promised it was temporary, 14 months later I was still waiting
Stay away
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 22, 2017
It seems that company completely indifferent of work conditions and situations it's drivers have to deal with, you are just a number not a human.The pay is lousy, have to fight to get home time. DM's attitude is horrible, and everybody lies...there is absolutely no help and support for a driver. Stay away, there are many other companies
Pros
Cons
Arrogant and rude DM, management which does't care
Flatbed Driver
OTR Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 2, 2017
I've worked here in the past and work here now. There are always different perspectives from people on things of course. My perspective is this company will give nearly anyone a chance. They have a lot of freight and new or newer trucks. To me the amount of freight and the new trucks is what matters because I will get miles and not break down. In return they just want someone with common sense that gets to work when their 10 hour is up and drives their clocks out. They won't put a person in a $200 dollar motel or fly them first class to orientation probably because a great many people drop out before orientation and load securement training are even finished. On a slow bad week a person can make 850 after taxes. A good week
1100 or even 1200.
Pros
Freight, Equipment
Cons
Depends on what you expect. I just like money.
Ok company
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTFebruary 2, 2017
Can't complain much they treated me good here and everyone I met down here were pretty cool. Time goes by fast in orientation you'll be in your truck before you know it once you are done with training. Load securement was good the guys know what their doing. Do your time get your experience and move to bigger things $$$
Pros
no driver facing cameras
Cons
it was funto work over the road
Driver (Current Employee) –  texasDecember 7, 2016
I love driving a truck. Over the road was fun but it gets old after doing for a few years. My experience with driving a truck is very rewarding. I would like to find a truck driving job closer to home. My parents are getting old and I would like to spend some holidays with them. The hardest part of over the road driving is I miss good sleep no home cooking and I miss my showers. most f al I miss my family
Better than being unemployed
CDL Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 29, 2016
Currently working for company. I would recommend this company as a start to get 12 - 36 months experience and then move on to better companies. It is difficult to get home time or even make doctors appointment. They don`t like to pay layover or breakdown. Older trucks don't register incidents or monitor breaking that is good. The level of driver harassment is low. Better than Swift Trans.
Pros
Make the sacrifice and start here then move on to Walmart
Cons
Difficult to get home or make appointments
Very BAD company
Soon to be ex wife of a truck driver (Current Employee) –  Monroe, GADecember 17, 2016
If you want you spouse home when they are supposed to be the you don't want them working for this company. This company LIES to their employees and will do everything to NOT get them home for their home time. This company just caused their employee to go through a divorce
Pros
NONE
Cons
They don't care about family
It's a job
Truck Driver (OTR) Flatbed (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 19, 2017
Bad staff, bad pay, bad mechanics, and bad management. Great experience, unique drivers they have, and you will make a lil money. Nothing what you would prefer though. Just they love to get you out and never want you to go home. Then hound you on going out to get another load.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Bad pay
Don't work here
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 25, 2017
Terrible job, I would not recommend anyone work here. Their technology is rubbish and their communication skills lack trummendously, I told them I had an emergency and I needed to leave immediately. They wanted me to do two more jobs before I left.
Pros
You will see the country
Cons
everthing
Very unperfessional staff no respect.
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2016
They suck and they sneaky oh yeah dont forget about the striper bus and alcohol they sellvyou a dream this company is for people who like to suck up. Lie, lie, lie, what else should i say even cant keep drivers leave you hanging if your application has a flaw you will be finding your own way home. Do i need to say more
Cons
It was ok but im looking for more than they offer
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 5, 2017
Over All I Thought the company was fair. The problem I had was
the trainer they put me with was not following safety regulations
and I did not feel safe in the truck with him.
Pros
they feed everyone well
Cons
The motel they put you in not the best, but i have seen worse
great for a beginner CDL driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 6, 2016
They do train you for the job. I stayed in a hotel for free while they trained me in the yard. Then you do a month of training on the road with a trainer driver. If you do not like being in tight spaces with a stranger this isn't for you. But the outcome is you, the road and the truck so that is peaceful. They keep you on the road for a while. Getting home time was tough.
Pros
being alone
Cons
did not let me go home when i needed to
Good Company - Good People
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CADecember 10, 2016
The company had good equipment. They paid me well, I made allot money with this company. The dispatchers were very friendly. I liked working for this company.
Pros
Good money, good people at this company, nice equipment, never really had to run real late at night/early morning.
Warning
None (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 29, 2016
In my experience this company has the potential to be a good company but it seems as if they're in the business of getting people to orientation and forcing you into unclean hotel and trucks. Not to mention assigning people to trucks and trailers they know need maint.. Warning stay away stay far away
Pros
NONE
Cons
ALL THE ABOVE
A good experience and very educational
Verification Processor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 8, 2017
Very educational learning the requirements involved in processing background references and DOT qualification requirements. I enjoyed knowing I was helping keep safe drivers on the roads.
Pros
Educational classes
Cons
Pay
Great place to get your feet wet in trucking..
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 28, 2016
I worked at Western for 14months and it had its good and bad times while employed there....Listen.... its trucking and everyday is/will be different....Overall it was a GREAT experience for myself. You can speak will 100 different drivers and get 100 different openions....Get a good DM and the problems are solved....
Pros
Freedom NO peson hagging you all day (unless your a screwup)lol
Cons
Shortage of trailers when trying to drop and hook

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Express. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7