Western Federal Credit Union

Western Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Not As Professional as They'd Like You to Believe
Contracted employee (Former Employee), TorranceFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: no micromanaging, up-to-date software. extremely nice lunch room. the company is generous in providing employees food.
Cons: management who seems acutely out-of-touch with the responsibilities of their staff, serious failure by mangers to realize goals, and immensely irresponsible.
The department I worked in was under administration of one manager and two supervisors. On my first day, the manager informed me they didn't want an employee who asked too many questions because she and the two supervisors were too busy to spend time answering questions.

From thereon, I arrived to work, sat down and worked. There was absolutely no communication and with exception of one project, all the other projects I completed were never reviewed. After 3 months the manager admitted she never reviewed my work and apologized for not communicating with me.

Co-workers were nice and hard workers. I learned quickly that staff are overworked and required to complete an inordinate number of reports. In this respect, I found this to be an archaic organization. It also amazed me that the manager and two supervisors seemed unusually oblivious to the fact that some of the information they demanded could easily and more efficiently be produced by the IT Department.

I liked the fact there was no micromanaging.

I disliked that there was no follow through on the part of managers. There was also an immense amount of ignorance on the part of the managers about the multitude of tasks each staff member is required to complete. Because of this, there is a lot of overtime but this has to have an impact on the credit union's bottom line and on an employee's quality of life. Though everyone- managers and staff alike, smiled a lot, on several occasions I overheard the manager and her two supervisors negatively gossiping about staff which is always counter-productive. in any working environment. – more... I also observed that every employee who returned to work after taking personal time off, always exclaimed about how much they didn't want to return to work. This in itself may not seem unusual, but it occurred in the case of EVERY employee who returned from personal time off.

I amended more than 15 individual procedures but not one was reviewed and on my final day of employment, the manager seemed unusually anxious to get these to Compliance when she and her two supervisors never reviewed any of these. Normally, one reviews the work, introduces changes, and in the end, sends the drafted procedures to Compliance. The manager's methodologies were neither proactive, efficient, or cost effective and in the end one has to wonder if goals are ever achieved and if so, what is the quality of the end product? On a side note, the department's procedures are a mess. Actually, most of the Credit Union's procedures are poorly written, poorly organized, poorly formatted, with many riddled with redundancies and saturated with grammatical and syntax errors. – less
Bizarre
Temporary writer (Former Employee), Torrance, CAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: super nice staff and lots of food provided by the company.
Cons: lack of professional acumen, disorganized, not cost-effective.
I worked for this company in a temporary capacity so my position though full-time had not benefits. However, what I observed was at at times disturbing. I'd arrive to work each day, sit down, and begin t conducting research and writing. I did this, day in and day out for more than 3 months. On my first day the manager told me that they didn't want someone who was going "to be asking lots of questions, because we're too busy." Though the Manager and her 2 supervisors seemed superficially nice, none of the three ever checked my work over the approximate 3 month period I reported to work. With exception of two assignments, I never received feedback about what I produced. The Manager frequently promised to meet with me to discuss what I created and yet over a three month period, there were only 2 meetings, each lasting less than 20 minutes.

The people in the department I worked in were very nice but each had too many responsibilities which included having to complete numerous reports each week. One project required creating production spreadsheet for each employee. All were to be linked to a single, master report which would tally employee totals. The lists each had over 100 individual job responsibilities that employees would have to pick from when completing tasks. The reports were nothing less than absurd. This is a busy staff with deadlines who should not be forced to peruse a long list of items each time they complete a task. A far more proactive measure, which would have been far more accurate, was to ask the IT department to provide reports showing how many calls each employee – more... takes each day, each week, and each month and what types of transactions each performs using the Credit Union's software.

On what would be my final day of employment, the Manager contacted me by email and spoke to me in person, requesting I send her ALL the files of all the work I'd completed. This meant resending her files that she never responded to previously. She also apologized for not conferring with her over the past three months but stated she and the two supervisors had just been too busy to talk. She told me that she and the 2 supervisors were going to review ALL my work which seemed rather absurd since there was too much information to review in a few hours. About 30 minutes before I left for the day, one of the supervisors walked over to where I sat and asked if I could provide her my badge number, explaining that HR was updating its records and required that all employees provide their badge number. Oddly, I was the only employee whose badge number she requested, causing me to wonder if my assignment was ending that day. When I left for the day, I wished the manager and one supervisor a happy weekend and they both wished me one too. When I arrived home I received a call from my agency advising me that my assignment ended. They could have informed me the assignment was ending and asked that I hand them my temporary badge. The entire experience was strange. I've never heard of an employer who contracts a temporary employee, delegates assignments and never speaks to the employee again or reviews the work produced. Clearly, there is a disconnect in the Manager's methodologies. I wish the Credit Union the best because they'll need it. They have dedicated staff and questionable leaders. – less
Great
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Camarillo CaDecember 30, 2014
Pros: member service
Great members service fun people easy going managers smart workers that work hard for the members
Don't Do It
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CANovember 5, 2014
Seriously, don't apply to work here especially if you're looking at joining a branch. Management is terrible they only care about helping out their friends and whoever is in their clique. If you don't kiss up to the boss get ready for unwarranted write-ups and possibly termination. If you want to move up I suggest you consider other options. This place doesn't know how to reward their workers or make for good morale.I was told one thing when I got hired and another when I actually started working there. It's a shame how fast this place is going down internally.
Great learning experience
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 19, 2014
Cons: limited growth opportunity
On a daily basis I am able to assist and profile members to make sure that they receiving the best products the company can offer them which in part brings in strong sales numbers. I assist members with a range of issues or request from a new account to home loans. As part of a very productive team I constantly work with co-workers to grow their book of business by having weekly re-caps, coaching sessions, and conducting observations.
Finance and Mortgage Specialist
Retention Specialist (Current Employee), Manhattan Beach, CAApril 7, 2014
Interview potential mortgage applicants to determine best product fit, placing application onto Mortgage
Builder system. Follow up with member to obtain any documents requested by Processor and/or
Underwriter while troubleshooting issues or questions the member may have about the process. Assist
Servicing with funding of mortgage loans when needed, balancing files and loading onto Symitar system.
Retain consumer loans attempting to payoff from Credit Union by offering a variety of refinance solutions
(currently retained and/or produced over $10.3MM in consumer and mortgage loans). Actively cross sell
products and services to membership to expand product base and meet member expectations. Create and
fund consumer loan preapprovals
suggested by mortgage Underwriter during mortgage process. Respond to
incoming inquiries through website (western.org) on all consumer and mortgage products, placing
application and funding loan via email or fax.
Horribly managed company!!!
Regional (Former Employee), Southern CaliforniaMarch 22, 2014
Pros: absolutely none!!!!
Cons: worst experience of a 25 year career!!!
There is no way the ratings for this company should be any more then a 1. Whoever is rating it higher then this is obviously still working for Western and is trying to make the company look good. We had a wonderful home-life and a really good job BEFORE accepting a position here. Was promised great pay and benefits along with "the sky is the limit on promoting within" during the 3 time interview process, and about 3 months worth of waiting on an answer. After accepting the position and rearranging our entire life to make this work, it was a total disaster!! After the third day, the realization of "I've just made the biggest mistake of my life" set in. Let me warn those of you looking to apply here, this is MICRO-management beyond anything you can imagine. Write-ups and threats of job loss for some of the most minor errors is an everyday thing here. They literally look for reasons to write a person up, and rarely find the "good" in someone. The executive team is extremely dysfunctional, and the Board of Directors must have blinders on to not do something about them. The top three executives in particular need to be released from their duties in order for this company to go somewhere, with a positive outlook/forecast. After leaving this company, we heard so many bad things about the top executive. It's a shame we didn't do research, and know about this executive being well known for his horribly managed ways before accepting the position. It was a head-hunter that called out of the blue and said "You are at a company that is well-known for it's poor management and high turn over rate, but I have several positions available that meet your criteria." Thank God a window opened, and we were able to slam the door on this one!!!
Do your research! Fair warning...
Current Employee (Current Employee), Western FCUFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: the benefits are great! least expensive insurance and the pay for school up to your mba at 100%.
Cons: terribly unorganized, horrible communication, and extremely unreasonable expectations of staff and mgmt
Don't be confused by the number of openings available. This is not advancement opportunities created through growth, it's turnover. The back office departments are free to do and act as they please with little to no responsibility/accountability. The front office (branch) employees are controlled by a dictatorship style of leadership which is evident in the voluntary and involuntary turnover you see in the consistent job openings. As an employee you will have no voice and will be required to fall in line and perform as demanded. Micromanaging is HUGE within the entire organization. There is no work-life balance whatsoever so expect 50-60/week as a manager and if you're a front line employee expect all the pressure to be placed on you. At the mere pennies Western pays it's front line staff I do not believe it is worth it (hence the turnover). BEFORE you apply for a job here, go in to a branch and have a candid conversation with an employee. Find a front-line employee on Linked-In. Or, go ahead and apply, ask yourself why you need to go through 3-4 levels of interviews to be a teller and why the hiring process is drawn out to 2-3 months. Do yourself a favor...there's a ton of Credit Unions and Banks that offer better training, development, and opportunities. At Western, HR and all the Middle/Sr mgmt team members are best of friends, you'll never get a complaint heard. HR is there when you need help with your health insurance and nothing more. Make a mistake and instead of coaching and feedback be prepared for write-up after write-up until they can safely remove you. This is a terribly place to work.

August 23, 2014

I'm thrilled that so many people found my review helpful, at first I thought Indeed wasn't going to post it (it took quite a while to get on here) and then I noticed the review right above mine...I don't know for certain who that employee was but I can guess with some certainty and it should only solidify that my comment is not a complaint but representative of the organization. My comment and the one above are SPOT ON. At the time I am writing this now (8-23-14) there is currently more than a 10% vacancy in the organization. HR is oblivious to the "dictator" I mentioned previously or they just don't care. I am currently employed with Western to this date and this will certainly go down as THE WORST company I've ever worked for. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay away. I wish I could share who I am and help you find a better opportunity but all I can do is hope whoever reads these reviews heeds the warnings. (PS...I only still work here because they pay for school and don't require you to stay once you get your degree if anyone is wondering).

good health benefits
Branch Manager (Former Employee), virginiaSeptember 11, 2013
overall good company
good health benefits
good training program
Wish I could have had a more positive experience
Bank (Former Employee), Westchester, CAJuly 19, 2013
Pros: the members make it worth while you meet some of the nicest people
Cons: management and also promoting
I worked there for a year and wish I had worked at the branch I was assigned to..my branch manager was very rude to me and also harassing me calling me names..I went to Hr to report the issue but it was useless..all of the managers, HR and Vps are friends...I was even accused of stealing which if it were true I wouldnt have lasted as long at the job. I even tried to transfer back to the branch that I interviewed with initially and my manager denied my transfer because she said it wasnt a promoting transfer...worst experience ever!!
I loved my job at Western Federal Credit Union
Business Development Representative (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAApril 15, 2013
Pros: traveling
I would meet with companies without a credit union and offer our products and services. The process was simple and free. I would travel to nine different states to open up new markets. I would take new clients out to lunch to discuss the benefits. Management was great and my co-workers were amazing. I came to an end when the goverment would not "Bail Out" the credit unions like they did with the banks. Budget cuts led to my position being cut.
Family and community oriented company
Business Development Representative (Current Employee), Camarillo CAMarch 24, 2013
Pros: flexible with expending lunch meetings, mileage reimbursement
Cons: technology not so advanced as other companies i have worked for
A job with flexible hours.
Work on my own and give a report daily about my production during the day.
Management is awesome.
My co-workers are always willing to work as a team.
Hardest part of my job is to make our members understand why we are not up to date with the technology.
Being able to truly help our members with exactly what they need
A very professional and competent company
Loan Servicing Assistant (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: the company always expressed great appreciation for their employees
Cons: desk and working area were very small
A typical day at work was concentrating on my daily chores and duties with occasional urgent tasks.
I had the opportunity to furthur my knowledge in the real estate loan division with such competent management and co-workers who were willing to teach me their specific system.
The hardest part of the job was being a new co-worker. I was eager to learn about the system, the people and the atmosphere of
the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the total environment.
Great Easy to Sell Products
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 3, 2012
Western FCU has a great array of savings and lending products. They have a fair training program, although I tend to learn hands-on. They grow through mergers, and are always looking. Main office is in Southern California, so it's difficult to move up if you are in a management position. Member service oriented.
Productive Environment
Teller, Member Service Rep. (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CAJune 9, 2012
Pros: great place to make friends and network
Cons: very unorganized, and there has been a lot of favoritism within management and employees.
WFCU is a great place to work. The best part is that it's possible to move up within the company very easily as long as you have no write ups.
Enjoyable place to work
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJune 8, 2012
Motivate seven staff member to reach $600K funding goal each monthly. Process and fund loan, open new membership, open new IRA accounts plus handle IRA questions and transactions, handle members complaints and help with teller line.
Productive, Yet Challenging Work Environment
Senior Branch Representative (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2012
Pros: lunches for top branch
Cons: advancement possibilities
A day at work is working on loans and referrals. We service each and every member by doing transactions and also making sure they are knowledgeable about their finances and how we can save them money. The staff is a great staff to work with , a very green team that is prone to learn more about their duties and how to achieve their goals each day, I manage a team of 9 each day and support my team in every way possible to keep them encouraged and focused.
5 year employee
Teller, Member services (Former Employee), Torrance, CA.February 25, 2012
Pros: staff
Cons: breaks and lunches
Awesome company to work for, especially the health benefits.

Western Federal Credit Union Salaries