Western Governors University Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 16, 2017
I worked for western gov for 2.5 years. I have never worked for a company who doesn't post job promotions, they just hand pick their friends to get promotions instead of people who are qualified. I would never recommend this company to anyone. The directors of the company are a joke too.
Pros
There are literally no pros
Cons
Terrible management, higher ups are incompetent, and they have favoritism
Great place to see your efforts help people
Course Mentor - IT Business (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 5, 2017
Work from home and have the opportunity to work with a diverse student population. You can change lives and give someone an education.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
low pay
Great company to work for
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 20, 2016
Western Governors University is a company you can feel good about working for. You get to be a part of making others' lives better, which is inspiring.
Great Company, Not Good Department
Associate Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 22, 2016
I loved working for WGU. However, the department that I worked for had terrible morale and the department management just made everything worse. My co-workers were friendly despite the circumstances. Also, many promises were not fulfilled and I was advised that they never would be.
Pros
Good School, Nice Co-workers
Cons
Terrible management in the Enrollment Department, promises not kept
Good flexibility
Course mentor (Current Employee) –  online - remoteOctober 1, 2016
WGU is a good place to work if you desire flexibility with your schedule. Managers and co-workers are great. Job consists of working with courses created by product development team. Instruction consists of "teaching the gaps" via phone calls, live presentations, etc.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Limited autonomy as a professor with terminal degree
Good Place to Work
Mentor Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2016
It is an experience that one must decide for themselves based on your own expectations. There are pros and cons to the experience but can be a good experience for some..
productive and fun place to work, they like to feed you!
Enrollment counselor (Current Employee) –  PHX, AZAugust 19, 2016
They are really big on hospitality. The principal mission of Western Governors University is to improve quality and expand access to post-secondary educational opportunities by providing a means for individuals to learn independent of time or place and to earn competency-based degrees and other credentials that are credible to both academic institutions and employers.
Pros
work from home opportunitites
Cons
hard to get a work at home position.
Amazing place to work
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2016
I've never worked for an organization that cares about their employees like WGU. The negative reviews here surprise me.....probably people who are always negative. I love my coworkers, my supervisor and the amazing culture. Management really seems to care.
The competency based model for students is so innovative and allows people who could never go to a traditional college the opportunity to get their degree.
Pros
Work from home; great support
Management SUCKS
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2016
At the start everything was fine. Then my father inlawl got very sick. I worked from home enrolled 28 students that month, was forced back into the office. Then after 2 days they decided to let me go back home to work. Father in-law got worse embed up passing away.

That when management changed bad. I asked for time of they threw a hissy fit. Told me that was not there problem. Attitudes got even worse. Micro management big time.

Don't trust any Mgr at this place. They all lie to your face

RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cons
Best place to work....Till management changed.
Associate Enrollment Associate (Former Employee) –  4001 South 700 East Salt lake City Utah 84123July 6, 2016
I loved my job. I worked 6 days a week, every week for over a year. I was only part-time, but I worked full time hours plus some...I enjoyed being at work. I enjoyed working with students. Literally, for the first year and 2 months, I lived to go to work at WGU. I managed myself and I am a particularly good self-starter...so it was a cake walk for me. There wasn't any pressure on the stats you had to hold- just that you needed to be earning your pay. I carried awesome stats, including appointment show rate, which was one of the highest on our team, as well as my "save" being magnificent...I was good at this job.
However, All that changed when my manager switched positions and the new manager was a former call center director or some other fancy BS and our jobs were turned upside down. Now we became a "Call Center" in the making, and new policies on this and the other- as other reviews have said "the pay is low" which, I will say is very low compared to other call centers, and the opportunity for advancement is an impossible set of loops and hoops- also, if you speak up and ask questions or disagree with any new changes- you become known as "disagreeable, or difficult", even "insubordinate." The new expectations were ridiculous and asinine for the amount of money they were paying-that didn't get updated or changed- basically, this company was the ideal place to work for a person like me.... and then it just wasn't feasible- I was turned into a leper by management and my team, and being micromanaged, tired and annoyed at how much time I wasn't getting paid for (new manager
  more... would change my time cards and when I told HR- noone cared), plus being told I would be able to move to a full-time status by former management (I needed the benefits and I was already working the required hours plus some), and having that retracted by current management...even though I was told that my request was approved when former was still current- disappointing.
I asked how to put in my 2 weeks notice (after over a year and a half of working 50-55 hours a week), they fired me. No particular reason was given- in fact no reason at all was given... Still confused at the whole thing.

The good news is if your mother works in HR, you get to do and say anything you want and there is no consequences...So, get your momma hired if you want to have your voice and opinion matter.

The school is fantastic-just the Admin and other employee suck.
Pros
School is Quality, Students are great.
Cons
management doesn't follow through, no advancement potential, favoritism-also, not willing to pay what an employees is worth

Want to know more about Western Governors University?

Ask a question
Innovative, Student Focused, & Fast Growing
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2016
As an Enrollment Counselor I have had a positive, supportive work environment with great benefits and advancement opportunities. while making a difference daily in students’ lives by helping them obtain the education they need to succeed in their careers. I also had the opportunity to work extensively with students to identify and evaluate their goals, ensure enrollment requirements are met, and establish proper expectations.
Terrible place to work! RUN!!!!!!!
Nursing Faculty - Course mentor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 4, 2016
I worked at WGU for over 5 years. It was a great place to work for the first 3 years. In the health professions area, they recently changed upper management and it has gone downhill. There is a LOT of micromanagement, monitoring your e mails, calls and email calendars. They belittle you every chance they get and tell you that you are not doing enough. They have many favorites and if you don't kiss up to management, you will not be a favorite.
Management was formally military and you can tell. The problem is that I did not sign up for boot camp, I wanted to work with students. My coworkers were the only reason I stayed so long but everyone is burned out but afraid to speak up. It is a very TOXIC environment. Whether you want to work from home or not, please keep in mind that they expect you to check e mails on the weekend, not work anywhere else, although they don't pay well and you will be stuck to your computer. Is it worth it?? No!
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
Long hours, very poor management, low pay, no opportunity for growth
Lacks empathy and transparency.
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 26, 2016
If you have an education and common sense, please don't apply here. This place has turned into a call center and the pay reflects it. Teacher's College is the worse in all aspects--education and career choice. I really cant think of anything nice except for some of the colleagues.
Pros
Cons
They want you to babysit adults to obtain their degree
Lacks Transparency
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  SLCMay 23, 2016
This role did not fit with my educational and professional background or personal goals. I would not recommend if you have worked in large corps previously.
Great workplace
Student Mentor Teacher's College (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 30, 2016
Loved working at WGU. Supervisor was very good! Was able to work from home which made life work balance great. Good compensation and benefits.
What you are reading is not true
N/A (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 4, 2016
I saw a "talent recruiter" write a review and say WGU is employee first based. How would that person know! They are not on the front lines every day. There is not much room to advance at WGU and its a "clique" environment and who you know. If you take care of the employees first, they will take care of the customers. WGU drastically fails to recognize this. If they did, why are we recruiting from the outside to fill mgmt positions. Why not fill them with people that have been here for years and know the system, the ends and outs.

The IT infrastructure is a joke.
Mgmt is looking over your back all the time on numbers numbers numbers..and we are to take pride in that we are making a difference...which we are...but my credit card company doesn't care that I am making a difference for others. The compensation for a yearly bonus is a slap in the face.

If you speak your mind, AUTOMATICALLY labeled a trouble maker and good luck moving up.

Bottom line is, the school is a good school. But, don't think you can make a career out of WGU and be happy in life.
Pros
Work from home mostly, tution discount
Cons
Not as good of work life balance as they say. Poor pay, mgmt playing favorites, can't speak your mind.
Great Organization putting students and employees first
Talent Acquisition, Lead Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTMarch 20, 2016
WGU has a fantastic company culture and it's easy to feel pride and dedication to making quality education affordable and available to many under served areas across the U.S.
Pros
Great culture, student focused, superb benefits
Cons
none I can think of
N/a
Business College Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2016
I have been working here for over a year and really enjoy the work life balance.Organization skills are a must for this position.
My co-workers are great. The culture of the company is one of constant change, technology that sort of works and low pay.
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2016
WGU is a non-profit and they use that reason to keep salaries low. There is a culture of un-relenting cheerfulness, which rather reminds me of the "Everything is Awsome" culture of the Lego movie. We do things in shadow-mode. As a non-profit, we can't be fired if we don't reach a quota is calls everyday, but we are expected to reach a quota. We are as numbers driven as the most expensive for-profits. The most frustrating part for me is the utter difficulty of moving forward with my career there.
Pros
Kind people, travel
Cons
Low pay.
Great people, laid back culture, flexible, great management
Project Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 12, 2015
This is a phenomenal place to work! People are outstanding - friendly and down to earth - very helpful, very much a team environment. Management is great to work with as well, supportive of their staff and flexible. Culture is laid back. Flexible ability to work from home as needed. Salary is on the low side but all the other non-compensated benefits make it totally worth it to work here. The online university has a phenomenal program.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Governors University. Our community is ready to answer.