Western Governors University

Western Governors University Employer Reviews

Fun and productive place to work with, excellent staff, and great benefits.
Educational Consultant (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: good central location for main campus facility in austin; work independently and flexible hours.
Cons: some late or real early work times, not feeling like you are part of a normal college setting or program, because it is so alternative.
It's like working with a start-up business company, except it's in education. There is a thrill of working in something very valuable, helping students, administrators, and life-long learners with advancing their degrees in a unique and meaningful way.

Hardest part of the work is to connect with the students at times when they can dedicate time to – more... the advising process and discussing their questions and needs. Also, it is hard for the Mentor sometimes
because their work may have to be done at a time that is inconvenient or early/late in the day.

Management is excellent, with many education professionals to work with who have great backgrounds and experience to add to the online program of learning and degree achievement. – less
While a good place to work, you may not always be compensated for your time
Associate Enrollment Councilor (Former Employee), work from home or in UtahAugust 5, 2014
as an AEC you will be required to be the first contact that people have with a prospective student. you must answer any questions that they have and then get them in contact with their councilor. while i enjoyed my flexibility in working, it was painfull to have more and more responsibilities thrown on to my plate but my wage didn't change much over – more... the year. – less
NA
Records Readmission Assessor (Current Employee), RecordsJuly 31, 2014
Issues with IT and processes. Low bandwidth and no support.
Clinical Supervision of Student Educator
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee), Jones Cove elementary School, Sevierville, TNJuly 23, 2014
Pros: professional relationships, new research
Cons: management procedures at wgu
Acting as a supervisor of student teaching for students who are doing their student teaching was very interesting. It reminded me of the many I had completed of the first year and experienced teachers when I was a school principal.

I always enjoyed telling student teachers of the strengths I found and was able to offer many ways of strengthening any – more... weaknessesf ound either by the student or myself due to the training I had and as Exemplary Educator with the State of Tennessee Department of Education.

I still keep in touch with one of my former student teachers although she now teaches in Georgia. – less
Exceptional Online University for Education Majors
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 25, 2014
I have been blown away by the teacher candidates that I have supervised and mentored coming out of WGU. They are doing a fantastic job holding students accountable and to the highest standards.
work from home
MBA Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 18, 2014
It's nice to work from home great educational model. It's a fairly positive student centered place to work
If a library and a call center got together....
Many positions are similar (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2014
Pros: students
Cons: yes man mentality, low pay, many managers transferred from for-profit universities
Management will track how long you were on the phone, how long you spoke to coworkers, how many emails you sent, how long you were on break, etc.
WGU Director
Director of Enrollment Currently (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 3, 2014
Pros: non-profit organization
Cons: salary and opportunity
Vendor management, enrollment operations, team management. managed a large department of 240 employees, including 40 support staff members.
Ability to work from home
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 3, 2014
Very flexible, managers welcome advancement and help in anyway they can
Good company
Admission Recruiter (Current Employee), Salt Lake CItyFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: work from hom
Cons: company hires from outside too much, so it can be difficult to move up.
It is a good company, but upward mobility is a problem. They hire from outside a lot, so upward mobility is a big problem. You may be able to work from home which is nice, but they are flexible and enjoyable to work for. In addition, it is a good school, so you are providing a good service.
Typical office/desk job, talking on phone with prospective students.
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: sitting all day
8-9 hour work day talking on phones through inbound and outbound calls with prospective students, responding to emails, and assisting students through the enrollment process. It helped me learn how to communicate via phone and email with people with various concerns. It helped me learn how to think quickly in order to respond effectively. The hardest – more... part was the somewhat monotonous nature of the job and saying the same thing over and over again with people. The most enjoyable part was serving people and helping them further their educational goals. – less
Great education
Student in RN/BSN Program (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 7, 2014
I am a student but overall it is a great place. I am very thankful for it.
Comfortable work environment that is focused on allowing students to succeed and obtain a degree.
Bursar (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 23, 2014
Worked with students on their accounts and assisted in resolving and overcoming financial difficulties.
Team oriented workplace
FINANCIAL AID CALL CENTER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Financial Aid Counseling, disbursement of financial aid, customer service, made decisions on appeals
Mentors beware
Mentor/faculty (Former Employee), ArizonaJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: wfh, good retirement, health insurance
Cons: low pay, no advancement, high stress, call center environment
Call center mentality. Upper management us supportive while 1st line manager isn't - at all. Phone time (talk time) is #1 priority as opposed to student's learning. WFH is convenient but your phone will ring at all hours. Student case load is really overload. School is not about learning but KPI and OTP focused.
outstanding flexible education
Pro Bono Business Consultant, Graduate Coursework (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJanuary 4, 2014
WGU offered an excellent program to complete a rigorous MBA program in under two years. I was able to hone my writing and teambuilding skills to become a more effective leader.
Challenging and rewarding place to work.
Marketing Traffic & Programs Coordinator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2013
Pros: job security in a growing company.
Cons: long hours and some growing pains when more positions were needed.
WGU is a fast growing, great company to work for. While there were some growing pains, it was a fast-paced, challenging and rewarding place to learn to skills and improve on abilities. The marketing department was a great department full of different personalities and skill levels where I could interact and learn from everyone.
Supervised two student teachers
Supervisor of Student Teacher (Current Employee), Salt Lake City UTAugust 22, 2013
Pros: professional institution
I loved working with the WGU students. Never having worked at an online university I thought it would be hard to get ahold of someone when I had a question or problem but it wasn't at all. Someone always got back to me within 24 hours. The WGU staff is knowledgeable, cares about students and willing to step outside the box to resolve issues. The two – more... students I have had were always willing to do whatever it took to do a great job for students. WGU is a very impressive concept for the busy lady/gentleman. I'm getting another student in January 2014. – less
Very stressful
Mentor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 16, 2013
Pros: serve great food at graduations.
Cons: integrity is lacking.
No upper management support. Communication between supervision, staff and upper management very poor.
Focused on student success and a great place to work
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 5, 2013
Pros: quarteryly lunches and yearly bonuses
Cons: employer not flexible when employee needs to move out of state
Assisted students with their financial aid questions and issues. I learned how to package student's financial aid as well as complete verification on files to process the student's aid. Counseled students on their loan debt and their financial plans to finish their degree.