Western Governors University

Western Governors University Employer Reviews

Fantastic Place to Work!
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits, paid training, great managers, is a friendly place to work
Cons: have to work some nights (once or twice a week). if you work one late night a week, you have to work one saturday a month.
Western Governors is a great place to work. I have grown in my communication skills and have learned to work with many different people. I love how we are helping people gain their degree to better themselves. Western Governors University is a university that cares about its employees and treat us very well.

I feel that I have created a lot of friendships here in the office and I couldn't ask for better co-workers; we are family.

My role in the university is to speak with prospective students (via phone) who are interested in the program---no cold calling! Only calling those who have at one point expressed interest in the program. I conduct interviews (via phone) to officially place students on the roll for their intended start date.
I am a student at WGU.
RN to BSN (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: i'm able to pick a schedule that works for me
Cons: no face to face teachers
Its a great school. My hours are flexible and I have already completed 126 units. 10 more units to my BSN. I have one more semester to go. I have really enjoyed the online experience. At first it was a bit difficult to adjust because it was all new to me but I quickly figured out how to maneuver through the site and it became easier. There's lots of reading to do and at the end of each course there's either a paper to write or a proctored exam. I am enjoying the whole online experience.
Overall summary
IT Project Manager / Product Manager (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 30, 2015
Pretty good place to work but no career growth. Co-workers are great to work with and the job itself is enjoyable. Hardest part of the job is project prioritization from the business. Trying to make sure the focus is on the right project for the right reasons.
Student
MBA - Business Management and Strategy Student (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 27, 2015
I was a student. This was not a job. However all of the staff were always wonderful to deal with and very helpful.
Very friendly and a great environment
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 16, 2014
Besides a great environment and friendly it has become very very micromanged
Counsel students through their degree program to graduation with a degree in Elementary Education
Student Mentor (Current Employee), work from homeOctober 17, 2014
Pros: no commute
Cons: very little live contact with co-workers which requires long distance travel
*Work from home contacting 80 - 100 full time college students enrolled in full time on line programs to guide students in the Teachers College as they progress through their term
Help students
*set and meet weekly goals
* over come obstacles to become independent learners
* find and utilize all resources available
*prepare for clinical experiences
*successfully complete their degree program to graduation

Attend and contribute to regular online meetings
* collaborate with peers
* remain up to date with university procedures and policies
*train in new programs to enhance student success
Fun and productive place to work with, excellent staff, and great benefits.
Educational Consultant (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: good central location for main campus facility in austin; work independently and flexible hours.
Cons: some late or real early work times, not feeling like you are part of a normal college setting or program, because it is so alternative.
It's like working with a start-up business company, except it's in education. There is a thrill of working in something very valuable, helping students, administrators, and life-long learners with advancing their degrees in a unique and meaningful way.

Hardest part of the work is to connect with the students at times when they can dedicate time to the advising process and discussing their questions and needs. Also, it is hard for the Mentor sometimes
because their work may have to be done at a time that is inconvenient or early/late in the day.

Management is excellent, with many education professionals to work with who have great backgrounds and experience to add to the online program of learning and degree achievement.
While a good place to work, you may not always be compensated for your time
Associate Enrollment Councilor (Former Employee), work from home or in UtahAugust 5, 2014
as an AEC you will be required to be the first contact that people have with a prospective student. you must answer any questions that they have and then get them in contact with their councilor. while i enjoyed my flexibility in working, it was painfull to have more and more responsibilities thrown on to my plate but my wage didn't change much over the year.
NA
Records Readmission Assessor (Current Employee), RecordsJuly 31, 2014
Issues with IT and processes. Low bandwidth and no support.
Clinical Supervision of Student Educator
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee), Jones Cove elementary School, Sevierville, TNJuly 23, 2014
Pros: professional relationships, new research
Cons: management procedures at wgu
Acting as a supervisor of student teaching for students who are doing their student teaching was very interesting. It reminded me of the many I had completed of the first year and experienced teachers when I was a school principal.

I always enjoyed telling student teachers of the strengths I found and was able to offer many ways of strengthening any weaknessesf ound either by the student or myself due to the training I had and as Exemplary Educator with the State of Tennessee Department of Education.

I still keep in touch with one of my former student teachers although she now teaches in Georgia.
Exceptional Online University for Education Majors
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 25, 2014
I have been blown away by the teacher candidates that I have supervised and mentored coming out of WGU. They are doing a fantastic job holding students accountable and to the highest standards.
work from home
MBA Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 18, 2014
It's nice to work from home great educational model. It's a fairly positive student centered place to work
If a library and a call center got together....
Many positions are similar (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2014
Pros: students
Cons: yes man mentality, low pay, many managers transferred from for-profit universities
Management will track how long you were on the phone, how long you spoke to coworkers, how many emails you sent, how long you were on break, etc.
WGU Director
Director of Enrollment Currently (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 3, 2014
Pros: non-profit organization
Cons: salary and opportunity
Vendor management, enrollment operations, team management. managed a large department of 240 employees, including 40 support staff members.
Ability to work from home
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 3, 2014
Very flexible, managers welcome advancement and help in anyway they can
Good company
Admission Recruiter (Current Employee), Salt Lake CItyFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: work from hom
Cons: company hires from outside too much, so it can be difficult to move up.
It is a good company, but upward mobility is a problem. They hire from outside a lot, so upward mobility is a big problem. You may be able to work from home which is nice, but they are flexible and enjoyable to work for. In addition, it is a good school, so you are providing a good service.
Typical office/desk job, talking on phone with prospective students.
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: sitting all day
8-9 hour work day talking on phones through inbound and outbound calls with prospective students, responding to emails, and assisting students through the enrollment process. It helped me learn how to communicate via phone and email with people with various concerns. It helped me learn how to think quickly in order to respond effectively. The hardest part was the somewhat monotonous nature of the job and saying the same thing over and over again with people. The most enjoyable part was serving people and helping them further their educational goals.
Great education
Student in RN/BSN Program (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 7, 2014
I am a student but overall it is a great place. I am very thankful for it.
Comfortable work environment that is focused on allowing students to succeed and obtain a degree.
Bursar (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 23, 2014
Worked with students on their accounts and assisted in resolving and overcoming financial difficulties.
Team oriented workplace
FINANCIAL AID CALL CENTER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Financial Aid Counseling, disbursement of financial aid, customer service, made decisions on appeals