Western Governors University Employee Reviews

Good opportunity
Course Mentor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 8, 2018
As a course mentor and subject matter expert, I interacted with students on a daily basis. I enjoyed working with the students and interacting with my colleagues. I enjoyed the flexible work schedule. I enjoyed being able to work from home.
Pros
work from home, allowed me to use my education and skills
Cons
required travel
Just don't stay long if you get in
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2018
I can only review the position that I held, which was mentor. This is not a job for those looking to be in education. This job is more like sales. The pros of the job were the people, management not included. The mentors are dedicated to helping students graduate and truly make that organization stay afloat. They are the ones that encounter students everyday. Unfortunately, management is terrible, which results in high turnover. The culture of the company is one of uncertainty and numbers driven, which is why it is like a sales environment. Management pretends to listen to feedback from mentors, but does not enact any policies addressing the feedback. There is little to no entrance requirements for students, which means that students who should not be enrolled will be enrolled only to drop out weeks or months later. Mentors are held responsible for drops and those who don't pass courses. Low retention and graduation rates will reflect poorly on the reputation of the school. The federal government looks at retention and graduation rates when deciding where to send federal student loan dollars. If you happen to accept a position at WGU, keep looking for something else:) Also, the pay is low, but management does not want you to work elsewhere.
Pros
Nonmanagment personnel, work from home
Cons
pay, management is horrible
Great people led by horrible upper management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 2, 2018
The employees are amazing, but good people are leaving due to the cut-throat and horrible leadership at WGU. Amazon staff is taking over, which isn't a good thing at all. Go back to selling shoes and let our students get the best education. The new CIO is a big bully that swears more than a sailor. Unprofessional bully that is going to drive that place to the ground.
Pros
Benefits aren't bad
Cons
Management (Senior Management)
Supportive and Student-Focused Environment
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 29, 2017
Most WGU employees work from home, but that doesn't mean this is a laid back, non-rigorous work environment. I work in Academic Programs and we work full-time schedules with occasional overtime when necessary. The work is rewarding (helping non-traditional students achieve the dream of a college degree from a reasonably-price, quality focused, NOT FOR PROFIT university) and the pay/benefits are very fair. Coming from an identical position with a southern states public university, I make more at WGU. Except now, I get to work from home. Those living in very high priced US markets may not see the pay as being competitive though. Advancement is increasingly possible at WGU too. Many new roles are being developed to support our nearly 100,000 students. We are growing rapidly and keeping pace with demand. The most difficult part of the job will depend on the person. I enjoy working from home and being here when my kids get on/off the bus each day. Some may find it isolating though. Frequent meetings with my team keeps me invested. Management (like anywhere) is hit and miss...but are mostly solid and talented. If you understand and appreciate CBE, support non-profit higher education, want to make a difference for good pay, and want to work from home, WGU might be a great place to continue your career.
Pros
Non-Profit Mission, Pay, Benefits, Remote Work
Cons
Remote work isn't for everyone
Great flexibility!
Course Mentor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeDecember 28, 2017
I appreciated the flexibility given to assist students whether through self-scheduling or student need. If tools were not available you were free to develop what you needed.
Pros
Flexibility
Culture of fear
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2017
Working with at risk college students is very fulfilling and rewarding. Unfortunately, your job performance is dependent almost entirely on the success of your students. If a student does not pass or withdraws, it counts against you (KPI's).

Even though you must have at least a master's degree in order to work there, management treats you as if you are incompetent and cannot be trusted to do your job. They are extremely micro-managing and controlling.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Management is extremely micro-managing and controlling
Review
Evaluation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 12, 2017
The company is fine to work for, good benefits, get to work at home. Hardest part of job is the lack of communication, diminishing prospects to advance in the job. Most enjoyable is the people I work with.
What once was amazing, now feels beyond stressful.
Program Mentor (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 11, 2017
As a long time faculty member, they have a wonderful mission and purpose. What started as one of the most amazing positions, has turned into a stressful nightmare full of micromanagement, pettiness,
favoritism, and constant change. Management changed and we expect reorganizing, but not into a top heavy company that no longer focuses on student success. Managers that aren't familiar with how competency based education works, or the inner workings of WGU, senior managers that rule in a dictatorship, managers that discuss employees to other employees, ... it has become a hostile environment and everyone fears retaliation.

There's little chance for moving up unless you choose to level up. The equivalent to a career ladder but with no formalization, protocol, definition, or expectation. And no structure for compensation. There's no communication between levels. Occasionally, we learn of changes from students after they have occurred.

They stress self-paced as their motto, yet employees are penalized if students don't complete the minimum number of CU's each term or they graduate early. Mentors call weekly, biweekly, sometimes twice a week. Especially if the student isn't making progress as fast as the university dictates. It used to be about individualized care for each student... no longer.

As someone who dearly loves their students, started and stays employed for the students, genuinely cares about the students.... it's disgraceful how numbers driven it has become and how many really good employees are leaving.
Pros
Work from home, decent accrual of earned time, retirement, helping students
Cons
No longer have flexible schedules, no room for advancement, inconsistency in management, lack of communication, micromanagement, 50 hour week
Student Mentors held responsible for adult learners completing courses
Student mentor, Health Professions College (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 10, 2017
Very difficult to motivate many adult learners to complete courses within the 6 month term. It is a competency based university, so if it takes you 1 year or 8 to complete your courses, students still have a 3.0/B average equivalent at graduation. It does show on their transcript that courses aren't completed on time, and they have to pay for them. However, for many of them they think it is on their "own time" to get courses done. The student mentors are held responsible for this lack of "on time progress" (OTP= completing at least 12 CU per 6 months for Bachelor's level courses). This affects mentor's evaluations, pay, and many get terminated due to this. VERY unfair job practices.
Pros
work from home
Nursing Faculty (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 5, 2017
I Highly recommend working at WGU. The culture is wonderful and collaborative and helpful. I have not met anyone that is rude. Everyone is student-obsessed.
I.T. Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTNovember 17, 2017
They provide great benefits and compensation. Laid back environment.Calls are steady and there is always something to do. Feels good to help students get graduated.
Productive and fun workplace with beautiful facilities
IT Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2017
Overall WGU is a great place to work. Friendly and helpful coworkers with a beautiful facility and an on-site marketplace. The management was friendly and helpful although a little hit or miss and the management team changed rather often (sometimes even monthly!) so if you like a manager they will change out soon :(
Pros
great positive working atmosphere with top notch facilities
Cons
management team changes often, fast-paced environment
review
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 20, 2017
WGU is a wonderful place to work as long as you get a manager that is willing to work with you and doesnt play favorites. I have had an overall good expirience since starting to work for them last spring.
Great Institute To Work For!
Records Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 19, 2017
I have had an amazing three years with WGU and only intend to leave due to family health concerns. I will sorely miss my team and the university as a whole.
Relaxed but Repetitive work
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 17, 2017
A typical day as a student mentor involves calling several students all day long, in addition to attending scheduled meetings and trainings. The work is rewarding if you enjoy helping others reach their goals through coaching and mentoring. You are the advocate for the student, and are the face of the school to your assigned students. You can work from home, and set your own schedule, but work can be monotonous. Pay is not on par with credentials and experience desired, which comprises several years of industry experience, and graduate to doctoral level degrees. It boils down to this, the leadership, culture, and work-life balance are great, but the pay is not as great as it could be. Hope this helps.
Pros
Work from home, set your own schedule
Cons
repetitive tasks, repetitive meeting content 2 or more x's per week
I was an MS student in Information Security and Assurance
MS Student (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 7, 2017
I spent six months working to complete my Masters in Information Security and Assurance at Western Governors. It was my first-and only-experience with on-line education.
Pros
Affordable graduate education
Cons
Lack of opportunity to interact with professors and other students
Enjoyable
Nursing Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 7, 2017
I love working from home and the flexibility in my schedule; however, the compensation is impossible to live off of in most states as a single person. I have always worked a second job to make ends meet.
Pros
working from home
Cons
Compensation
not a good place to work
Nursing Mentor-online (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2017
Judged unfairly for things that you cannot control.
Too many calls done daily- students tend to like texting better and you can get more out of them that way. You are asked to work on things that themselves have no idea how to fix
Pros
good vacation time, bonus
Cons
expected to work over 40 hours
WGU review
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 26, 2017
WGU is a great place to work. Knowledgeable & competent team members all working together to provide the best possible experience and education available from an online university.
Remote
Program Manager Nursing (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 26, 2017
It is great to work from home. The company is very supportive and has a great culture. The only downfall is the compensation is low for the amount of work that you do. However, the employee benefits are good.