Western Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Exciting place to work. Each day is a new journey.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILAugust 22, 2016
Following the teachers lead. Assisting the children with activities and projects daily. Teacher assistants were responsible for sanitizing the classroom daily.
Productive and fast paced workplace
Campus Recreation Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJuly 27, 2016
It was a productive and educational job that acquired a high level of social skills and responsibility in order to function properly.
Pros
Met a lot of new people, and helped better my people skills.
Cons
nothing
Fun and very intresting place to work
Sports Official (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJuly 18, 2016
I have work as a custodian for western and also a sports official for westerns recreation center. Both jobs are very fun and laid back. You get to work with many different students and staff. Learn new things. Meet lots of new people.
Pros
everything is pretty easy
Cons
limited on the about of hours you can work
Productive and fun work place for student employees.
Athletic Department Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 18, 2016
Typical day at work consists of 5-8 hours of productivity.
I learned proper techniques to work within the biological department.
Managed various professors projects.
The hardest part of the job was trying to get your tasks down whilst staying out of the way of faculty members and not disrupting their routines.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Short breaks
Nice place to grow and build
Macomb Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 18, 2016
Western Illinois gave me the tools to become a successful individual after completion of my program. They continue to track my progress and well-being.
Productive work space with supportive atmosphere
Art Department Student Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 6, 2016
Typical day at work is productive and consistent. I learn a lot about how all the faculty work together to keep the department running, I learn that communication is very important. Management is very good very accommodating to my class schedule and willing to work through any schedule or time mix ups. My co-workers are fun to work with and are hard workers we work together and maintain adequate communication to get the job done. I would have to say that the hardest part of this job would be hours can sometime cut into homework. The most enjoyable part of this job would be the people I get to work with and being apart of helping the department be the best it could be.
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILApril 6, 2016
Worked on News stories for Newscast. Fast paced news group we experienced going live twice a week for newscasts. Was a great experience overall to learn as much as i did.
Great workplace to expand knowledge
Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 17, 2016
Meet with board members, exchange ideas, promote individual growth. Plan events, budgets, marketing, and advertisement.
Pros
Great for increasing career knowledge
Cons
only available while enrolled in school
Rewarding place to work with a lot of benefits
Medical Transcriptionist II (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day at WIU is very rewarding as you work for/with the students. I have learned a variety of different positions at WIU and enjoy learning new things on a constant basis. The management I have worked under has been exceptional, and I have had a lot of wonderful co-workers as well. I believe the hardest part about the job has only been recently with all of the budget concerns in the State of Illinois.....the not knowing has been very rough on us as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job for me has been the way I have been able to work on my own, as well as with students and co-workers when needed, and being able to be valuable in several different positions. Also, it's wonderful to have the opportunity to further my education.
Pros
Tuition Re-imbursement for furthering your education; great benefits; reasonable hours.
Cons
The insecurity we have right now with the State of Illinois budget situation.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Great place to work. Western Illinois University is very professional and all the employees are nice and fun to work with.
Great place to work and learn
Applications Programmer II (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 24, 2016
Great place to work with a common sense of purpose. Advancement is possible if you are willing to learn and take on more responsibility or willing to move to other departments.

Civil Service positions are full of great benefits and protection. Current budget crisis is weighing on everyone right now.
Pros
work life balance with generous vacation / sick time
challenging
Network Admin (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Enhanced skills in building WordPress website. Gained experience in building and maintaining virtual machines. It was very beneficial working here.
Productive and Educative
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 1, 2016
Western Illinois University is an Excellent place to begin a career, i was offered the opportunity to balance work and life . co workers are wonderful people to work with.
summary
Student Storeroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 26, 2016
fun place to work with great people. they're very flexible with students hours in case you have a test to study for. you have to do a lot of inventory each day and help people find stuff they need.
Pros
Flexible with schedules
Cons
Part time
A huge customer service environment
Desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILDecember 22, 2015
I met new people during this job and it was such a laid back job that I never felt stressed out or anything. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the new guidelines, I was able to follow all of them but there were new ones so often that I felt overwhelmed but I was able to conquer everything in the end.
Pros
Cons
Not enough direction from the Desk captain; pay was low.
grrr
Residence Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILDecember 17, 2015
typical day at work what you learned management ypur co workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the jpb was leaving the job in all honestly
Great Place
assistant (Former Employee) –  College of Business and TechnologyDecember 5, 2015
Enjoyed working at WIU and the people there made for a pleasant environment. Very flexible to work around my class and testing schedule. Allowed for me to work on my own and make decisions when manager was busy trusting my decisions.
Pros
Great management and co workers
Cons
Limitted income potential from being only a student employee position.
Monitor the computer labs, help students with issues
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 1, 2015
I monitor the computer labs.
Help out when students need it.
Complete tasks when asked by supervisor in a timely matter
Great group of people that I work with
I get to work on home work when I am not helping others
Fun and flexible place to learn and work.
Web Developer (Graduate Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILNovember 23, 2015
Get a lot to learn. Flexible timings which will cooperate with class schedules. Very cool manager. Quite workplace so there is no disturbance. Opportunity to explore your creativity with lot of time.
good job experience
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILNovember 16, 2015
A typical day would mainly be returning clean dishes from the dish room to the proper places in the cafeteria. I started out doing this, but branched out into different areas. I enjoyed getting a glimpse of how a university dining service is operated. The co-workers were nice and management was accommodating. I held this job during my college days and gave me a chance to earn some money.

4.4