Western Illinois University Employee Reviews

State Financial Woes are Making this Job Unbearable
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILSeptember 14, 2017
The State has made working at any Illinois State Higher Ed institution extremely stressful. I am not happy with my current salary, and am feeling the urge to move out of state because of the current financial situation.
good environmental working conditions
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILSeptember 9, 2017
Western Illinois is a good place to work with affordable cost of living. The management are friendly and are conscious of the staffs wellbeing and security.
Amazing
Sodexo Customer Service Employee (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILSeptember 4, 2017
WIU is a great University for students to balance their school and work lives. This is good for new incoming students who are trying to be young adults.
Great College
Student (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILAugust 15, 2017
Fantastic college to attend. I studied graphic communications as well as marketing. It was a great school that wasn't too large so that I could learn to the best of my abilities.
Office asst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 13, 2017
Learning experience and great job training. The job consisted of undergraduate admissions operations. Worked with general public and student body providing information.
Wiu
Resident Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Macomb, MIJuly 12, 2017
this institution is an amazing place for growth and development. Everyone is like family here and the opportunities are endless. I love it and will always recommend WIU.
productive and nice place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJune 27, 2017
good place to work at with plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and improve interpersonal skills. Interact with professionals and helpful people.
Too insular and exclusive in attitude
Teaching Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 22, 2017
The overall culture at WIU is elitist and grounded too much in the dependence on state funded salaries. Providing quality education is not the priority for all, though I believe most value their experience as educators.
Productive and fun workplace with family like coworkers
Laundry Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 15, 2017
Working here was fun but our work always came first. I actually learned a lot about myself and othes around me. The best part is being able to accomplish tasks that i was unsure about.
Pros
everything
Cons
Working in the ETL department was a pleasure as well as a great learning experience.
TSA (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 15, 2017
The department was very accommodating. Working with professors to learn how to structure the learning goals of classes and projects for students turned out to be very beneficial to my overall learning experience.
Good place for education and work
Graduate Research Assistant (Web Developer) (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 10, 2017
Good place for education and work environment. Working as a developer excelled my skills in the Java and J2EE Technologies.
Woking on an Open source Project improved my knowledge for the open source project environment.
Great place to volunteer
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 7, 2017
As a volunteer, the athletic department was very accepting and welcoming to all staff members. I thought it was very enjoyable learning the different aspects of management within the athletic department.
good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 5, 2017
Assisted with lab protocol such as bioassays, RNA isolation, and qPCR. Assisted with experiment set-up, organization, data collection, and data analysis.
Overall a positive experience and atmosphere
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 26, 2017
There isn't much to discuss about the two jobs I had with WIU. Both were fairly similar in the aspect that I assisted those who needed it or questions that needed to be answered. My secretary job I handled very confidential information that I was not able to discuss under FERPA
Pros
very flexible hours around my schedule
Cons
Occasionally under appreciated for the amount of work I did
Graduate Assistant
Clinical Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 24, 2017
I worked as a graduate assistant, which paid for my tuition along with a monthly stipend. The assistantships were competitive, but were absolutely worth obtaining.
Hard work, Lots going on.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 23, 2017
The job is tough and there is often a lot going on. That happens in many kitchens. Cost of living in Macomb is reasonably low, so a management job goes a long way as far as living comfortably in the area. I really enjoyed working in the residence halls, but not so much in the catering department.
The residence halls are a 7 day operation with lots of staff and consistent work. The catering department is small and work is random. Often will not get consecutive days off, or will have events pop up the day before or the day of the event, adding extra stress to the daily work and changing working hours on very short notice.
Pros
Free Meals per 5 hr. shift. Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Not a lot of consistency between units or managers.
Good Experience
Adjunct Professor CN551 Counseling of Addictions (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMay 16, 2017
This was a good place to work and the students were good to work with. It was a great experience to teach at the graduate level to students that were motivated to learn in the field of counseling.
Pros
1 semester
Cons
1 semester
Excellent 4 year university environment
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 12, 2017
Western Illinois University is an accredited Midwest campus with an atmosphere geared to learning and growth for students. Easy transfer guidelines, academic advisory at every step of the process of learning
Western was a fun workplace.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 10, 2017
My main time there was as a student but I have the pleasure for working within the University. Not only did I get to meet other students on a more personal level but also working with them.
Excellent experience at Western Illinois University.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMay 3, 2017
As a student and Graduate Assistant, I had an exceptional experience at Western Illinois University - Moline. The faculty and staff were wonderful and the education I received was high quality.