Western Kentucky University

Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Good place to work, great people.
Network Specialist (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYMay 18, 2015
Restructured numerous times with sometimes lack of leadership or direction. Some employees were allowed to do whatever they wanted with little to no consequences. Not enough room for advancement.
Great job. Independence to perform at my best.
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYMay 14, 2015
Autonomy, Leadership, fun job. Most enjoyable part of job was working with students. No other information will be provided at this time.
productive and fun workplace
Athletic Marketing/ student activities (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYApril 27, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, very helpful
Staff meetings, assist students with questions about our departments, coordinate programs and activities. Ive learned how to enhance my skill sets dealing with event and sport marketing and also my communication skills with student activities. Management is great productive and efficient. I love my co-workers we work as a great team.
Very fun and productive work place
Downing Student Union Programming Assistant (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYApril 21, 2015
Pros: Getting to interact with different people every day
Cons: Very time demanding
I really enjoyed working for the Downing Student Union. My staff are always supportive and whenever I needed help they stepped up without hesitation. I never had the same job every week, so it really helped me grow when pursuing my future career.
Great for Student Worker
Student Worker (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYApril 6, 2015
A student worker job at Western Kentucky University has flexible hours and allows me to work 20 hours so that I have time to study.
Fun atmosphere with great people
Transcript Processor (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYMarch 6, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: compensation
Your day starts out by reconciling previous day transactions. Once complete, you then begin to process transcript requests from students in person, over the phone and via the internet. Keys to success are being able to multitask.
Great Place
Volunteer Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYFebruary 27, 2015
Experiences here are great. Coaches have been long term with a bundle of experiences to learn from. Positions are limited and so is pay.
Very rewarding
Program Director (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: watching kids believe in themselves and their future.
Cons: grant funding-ended
This position goes above and beyond for at risk students. We offered programs to enrich arts and humanities along with teaching how to achieve their dreams and future.
Excellent work environment
Program Director (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: educational funding, opportunity growth
Cons: low income, income based on grant funding for this position.
Budget management, database management, supervisory roll.

I learned a great deal about budget and database management. I was able to continue my education with very little cost due to the incentives. Co-workers were enjoyable.

Hardest part of the job-low pay scale.

The opportunity to grow.
office setting, easy work, no diversity
Study Abroad and global learning (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: easy work, no study abroad application fee's and a good job for a resume
Cons: gossip, small office, no diversity or non whites and no one really talked to me but communicated with each other, i was the only minority.the pay is bad also but that's expected it's a college kids job.
Easy job, typical day would be answering emails and phone calls and completing assignments given by advisers i.e budgets for study abroad programs.
I was an undergraduate researcher
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 11, 2015
Not really much to say, I would do research when I wasn't doing homework, studying or in class. The professors and other students were always up to having some fun in order to have a break from the daily grind.
Great learning experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 5, 2015
They have wonderful mentors. This institution facilitates a great learning experience both in the classroom and outside of it.
Fun and Productive
Student Worker (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYAugust 21, 2014
I enjoyed working at WKU for a variety of reasons. Fun and friendly staff with excellent guidance and a great resume builder. All the coworkers are all really great and they have a wonderful attitude. I wish I was able to stay for longer!
OFFICE ASSISANT (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, KYAugust 4, 2014
Loved working in the kind of environment and settting. Loved my co-workers.
Fun place to work
Information Assistant (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJuly 24, 2014
I loved the people I worked with, they felt like family. I made great connections.
Excellent balance of work, life, and school
Graduate Resident Intern/Student Teacher (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good balance, very good support
Cons: tight budget for a family
The GSKy Teach program at Western Kentucky University is an excellent way to get involved in teaching for the recent science or math graduate. You receive a six week summer training followed by a year of student teaching paired up with a mentor teacher. Four days a week you spend teaching and Fridays you have class. Because you aren't the teacher of record you have a small amount of freedom to have your life and enjoy and explore Louisville. But because you are still doing a lot of the teaching, prepare to spend a lot of time grading, planning, writing reflective pieces, and calling parents. But you are guaranteed three years working afterward.
WKU is good employer
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJune 10, 2014
I enjoyed working at WKU, and I wish there was a position available for me to stay there. I worked in a research laboratory and also taught biology labs. My co-workers varied, as graduate students come and go so quickly.
Adjunct Instructor since Fall semester 2007
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYJune 4, 2014
Pros: helping students succeed in higher education
Cons: low wages / no benefits
I taught one-two undergraduate courses for WKU-O which typically met Wednesday afternoons/evenings.
At WKU I learned about being part of a regional campus and the relationship of that campus to the main campus in Bowling Green, KY which was new to me. I also learned that teaching juniors and seniors in college is a different experience from teaching freshmen and sophomores; I liked each for different reasons.
I was warmly welcomed as part of the faculty and everyone was willing to help and support me. I had less frequent interactions with either administration or other staff as WKU-O has a much smaller enrollment compared to the community colleges locally.
Management changed once while I was there but with a smooth transition; the focus through my years there was to transition away from renting space on OCTC's campus and move WKU-O to its own new facility across the street. The new facility was wonderful.
My co-workers were very supportive, though I met few of them, except at instructor orientations at the beginning of each school year. My favorite moment was meeting and presenting with the instructor who teaches courses on death and dying; we team taught the chaplain staff at Owensboro Health (the large hospital in Owensboro) on issues of religious and cultural sensitivity in a healthcare setting.
The hardest part of the job was the low pay and lack of benefits, which is attributable not so much to WKU-O but to the state legislature of Kentucky with their continual budget cuts to higher education. WKU did allow for a raise in 2011 and I was also paid for my mileage as I commuted to work each week from Henderson.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students learn and advance their education, and helping them succeed in my course and at WKU-O in general.
Fun, friendly learning environment
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYMay 23, 2014
Teachers treated me fairly and impartially, prepared me well for my career
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYMay 16, 2014
Pros: freedom in teaching and research
Cons: below average salary
Great colleagues!
Great environment!
Fun teaching and research!
Enjoy summer vacations!