Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews in United States

fun place to work
Arabic and Spanish Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 26, 2015
it feels like family working at WKU, great benefits and greater support system, the only con is that it is located in a small town and I am used to live in bigger cities.
Pros
WKU has a great support system
Cons
small town
Dont work for DFM
Bsa (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 9, 2016
The supervisors are idiots. Only a few team leaders actually do what they need to do other than that they just drive around or sit around doing nothing. I hated working there. Being a bsa you work so hard and dont get paid enough yet supervisors get $15 an hour and do nothing to earn that. All they do is stand around at DFM, walk around their buildings every so often and just sit in their office. They never give you a direct answer half the time and the only way you move up is if you have your head up management's butt. They expect you to do so much in a short amount of time and if you dont get it done your punished even when they know it was to much to handle.
Pros
None at this department
Great Work Environment with Excellent People
IT HELPDESK STUDENT CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KY 42101May 8, 2016
I have worked as a Student Helpdesk Consultant for two and a half years. The work environment was very relaxed, and the management very reliable and approachable.
Pros
Relaxed, Open, Amazing Management.
Cons
Fun atmosphere with great people
Transcript Processor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 6, 2015
Your day starts out by reconciling previous day transactions. Once complete, you then begin to process transcript requests from students in person, over the phone and via the internet. Keys to success are being able to multitask.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
compensation
Graduate assistant in Psych
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 21, 2016
I felt very comfortable with my advisor and was well supported. I enjoyed the research I conducted and would gladly recommend this university for anything.
Pros
Cons
N/A
wku
Intramural field caretaker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 3, 2016
This job was very stress free. other than lifting heavy equipment from time to time the overall workload was never overwhelming.
Friendly and fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 9, 2013
The crew I had was a great bunch who worked hard and helped out one another. My crew took projects and completed them fully and never hesitated to ask for assistance if needed.
I learned all the skills/machines/ products for the job and kept learning to improve myself.
Hardest part about the job was getting management to listen to my concerns and/or ideas for my job or employees to make the job of employees or myself manageable.
Most enjoyable times on the job was when my crew and I would have a project and see the completion.Also to be able to have fun together as a crew while doing projects.
Pros
holidays paid, chances for overtime, discount in higher education, some of the benefits were good
Cons
short lunch, pay scale could have been better, raises were lame, management could have been better knowledge of staffs jobs
Culture Diversity
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 9, 2015
It was a fast paced job which I enjoyed as I like meeting and helping students from all over the world it was rewarding working with the immigration advisor taught me a lot. But eventually the upper management changed employees started to face issues with upper management which caused all employees from that specific department to quit their job.
Pros
Builds your communication skills
Cons
the director is not very helpful and is very rude
Excellent balance of work, life, and school
Graduate Resident Intern/Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 16, 2014
The GSKy Teach program at Western Kentucky University is an excellent way to get involved in teaching for the recent science or math graduate. You receive a six week summer training followed by a year of student teaching paired up with a mentor teacher. Four days a week you spend teaching and Fridays you have class. Because you aren't the teacher of record you have a small amount of freedom to have your life and enjoy and explore Louisville. But because you are still doing a lot of the teaching, prepare to spend a lot of time grading, planning, writing reflective pieces, and calling parents. But you are guaranteed three years working afterward.
Pros
great benefits, good balance, very good support
Cons
tight budget for a family
Fun and great way to gain work experience
I.T. Desktop/Helpdesk Intern (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 8, 2015
They provide students with various different positions to gain useful experience toward work after graduation. WKU provides students with great opportunities to obtain not only work but networking.
Very Productive with excellent break periods.
Custodian and Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 19, 2012
Good management, but do not like the night shifts because you don't get much rest. There is not much enjoyment for family life working at WKU.
Pros
benefits and retirement is good and uniforms are provided.
Cons
i do not like the night shift because i am a day person, not a night person.
A good place to start work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 27, 2015
The day starts as early as 7.30 am with an hour break at 12 pm, and the end of the day's work is dependent on the activities of the day. A typical day ends at 4.30 pm
Pros
Flexibility of schedule
Cons
No cons from my perspective
Great Work Enviroment that Promoted Learning
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 24, 2015
Great Job that worked around my class schedule. Fulfilling job, that promoted education via hands on experience. Hardest part was connecting with students whom did not want to be in the class.
Pros
Strong Support System
Great and relaxed place to work
Corporate Support for WKU Public Radio (Current Employee) –  The Academic ComplexFebruary 20, 2012
WKU is a great place to be, and a hard place to leave. Opportunities for growth exist if you work hard, and all the benefits are superb - plus you can go to school for free!
Pros
great food, beautiful campus
productive and fun workplace
Athletic Marketing/ student activities (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 27, 2015
Staff meetings, assist students with questions about our departments, coordinate programs and activities. Ive learned how to enhance my skill sets dealing with event and sport marketing and also my communication skills with student activities. Management is great productive and efficient. I love my co-workers we work as a great team.
Pros
great co-workers, very helpful
It is not hard work.
Custod (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 29, 2013
I like working for the university because they have great benifits and it is not back breaking work. My co-workers are great to work with.
Pros
they treat us fair and give us free turkeys for thanksgiving every year.
Cons
we do not get to change are time if we wanted another schedual.
Very fun and productive work place
Downing Student Union Programming Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 21, 2015
I really enjoyed working for the Downing Student Union. My staff are always supportive and whenever I needed help they stepped up without hesitation. I never had the same job every week, so it really helped me grow when pursuing my future career.
Pros
Getting to interact with different people every day
Cons
Very time demanding
One of a kind job
Advising Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 12, 2015
Even though it was short lived, I learned a lot about the healthcare system. Educating people and helping them find insurance was enjoyable.
Good place to work, great people.
Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 18, 2015
Restructured numerous times with sometimes lack of leadership or direction. Some employees were allowed to do whatever they wanted with little to no consequences. Not enough room for advancement.
Good enough
Student Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KyJuly 9, 2015
It is a good place for college students where you can work and study at the same time. WKU gives you to make your own hours and they will try their best to work you within them.

4.5