Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Fun, calm environment to work in. Many opportunities to gain experience.
Human Resource Department Marketing Internship (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYOctober 22, 2017
Just as an intern, I learned a lot from this position. I was able to put what I was learning in my courses to use in real life situations. Everyone I worked with was very friendly and helpful.
summary
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYOctober 20, 2017
I have worked 20 years at wku as an adjunct instructor. I have been dedicated and loyal. I am dissappointed that I have never been hired full time. In fact, I have seen examples in my own career of reverse discriminatory practices concerning the hiring of full time instructors.
Pros
Good work environment of professionals
Cons
Lack of adequate pay and benefits
Great environment to work with helpful management and great students
Chemistry Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYOctober 17, 2017
I taught the introduction to chemistry lab with a lecture portion as well. I taught two - three classes per week and loved every minute of it. I learned so much about teaching from my boss and mentor and that's when I fell in love with teaching. Although I am normally not the most confident public speaker in the lecture setting, I excel.
The management I was under was fantastic. She always took time to help me when I got stuck creating a lesson plan or lab assignment. The work-place culture was one of support and positive reinforcement.
The hardest part of the job was connecting with those students who were not necessarily interested in chemistry; but the best part was getting through to them. Showing them how cool chemistry was with interesting lab experiments was so rewarding.
Pros
teaching where I was a student myself, teaching a class I had taken my first year there, the support of my superiors was incredible
Close to Home
Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 27, 2017
While living on campus, working on campus was great. I saved a lot of gas and made decent money. The notetaking positions are available when someone that needs help is in your class.
It is a great way to make a new friend while encouraging diligent notetaking, since not only your grade depends on it, but your new friend's does too.
n/a
UML in Enterprise Architect (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 25, 2017
Hello Sir/Mam,
I am interested in this position and it’s a good match to my skillset. Please find my resume attached. I feel this is a good opportunity to show my skills and learn more technical and database skills as well. Please email me or give me a call if you are interested in my skillset.
Budget cuts
Downing Student Union Manager Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 10, 2017
Due to budget cuts mandated by the state, salaries were either cut or eliminated and that is a major concern for this university. If stability can be maintained this will be an amazing place to work.
Long working hours, heavy work load and required meeting attendance as well as public, university and department service.
Assistant Professor of Education (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KY 42101August 31, 2017
Working with students is wonderful. Great support from colleagues.
Communication not always the best.
Student Worker
LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 2, 2017
I was a student worker so I worked under a staff member doing unpaid research. I still really enjoyed it and felt like it prepared me for future classes and jobs.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 18, 2017
WKU is an awesome place to work. There is a great support system in place, and the personal interactions are wonderful as well. You won't find a better place in American higher education
Fun Place to be
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 9, 2017
As expected University is a fun place to work. So much work to be done but most of the tasks are repetitive. It is easy to find friends as well as the place so huge and so many fun events.
Happy with the work environment
Instructor of Health Information Management (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 24, 2017
WKU is a pleasant place to work and teach students. The teaching work load is about 12 to 15 credit hours per semester if you aren't responsible research.
Flexible Environment
Graduate Assistant/Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 17, 2017
WKU is a good place to work, however, they are very slow and reluctant about moving things forward and fast. It is understandable that compensation is not up to the mark as they are an educational institute in Kentucky.
Pros
Flexible schedule, friendly colleagues
Cons
Low pay, process improvement is highly urgent
Awesome
Computer Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 5, 2017
Great place to work and earn money while in college. Got to meet a lot of great people and gain some good experience in higher education. Wish I could have gotten along with the head boss, loved my SLM though.
Pros
Work Study
Cons
My boss hated me
Awesome
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KEntuckyJune 5, 2017
Lovely work life balance.
Great place to study and work.
Very supportive staff.
Great learning.
Some times its challenging to find the right job, but once you find it life is just very convenient.
Life of a Math Tutor
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYMay 21, 2017
I love teaching, it has always been my passion. I love working with students who are sincere and care about learning. I tutored students that were taking remedial courses to upper-level calculus courses to math education courses.
Wonderful
Music Department Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 19, 2017
Wonderful place to learn and work, I'm sorry I don't have anything to contribute at this time. There are too many previous employers to effectively complete this review in a timely manner.
Pros
love the people
Cons
Productive laid back atomsphere.
Exam Proctor (Team Leader) / Student (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KY 42101May 14, 2017
Great work environment. They really encourage you to do your best and to keep your studies up. Great place to advance. It really has at atmosphere that is laid back and doesn't rush your work. It prefers quality over quantity.
Pros
Discount lunches, great atomsphere, friendly atomsphere.
Cons
Excellent student worker position.
IT Helpdesk Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 12, 2017
Working at the IT Helpdesk has been an amazing experience I enjoyed immensely. I gained great skills in customer service and technical help through a through training period and the environment is truly encouraging to its workers. Not once do I regret working at this position.
Worked directly with faculty as a student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 2, 2017
Worked with students in classroom beforehand and out in the field. Was given stipend and transportation cost for field experience. Stresses of handling 13 college age students out in the field took its toll but overall was a great experience.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Having to deal with reservations and rental locations at field site
Good School for Students
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 28, 2017
This school is excellent for students. However, it runs more like a corporation than a school. Many faculty and staff members go through a lot of channels to get things accomplished, so it can be frustrating trying to accomplish a task.