Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Good Environment
Application Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 14, 2016
This was a great and relaxed environment to work. It was almost too relaxed at times. Work deadlines were manageable for those who had been there for many years.
Pros
Excellent University/Campus amenities and benefits
Cons
Job Culture a bit sterile and staunch.
Great College Job
Resident Assistant - Housing and Residence Life (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 29, 2017
Great to get to know people in your building throughout the campus. Also a great way to practice time management and is a plus for when you graduate. Professionals seek people of good standing character which being a Resident Assistant provides you with.
Pros
half off housing
It was a good place to work.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYSeptember 27, 2016
I was pleased to work at Western Kentucky University for the time of my contract. I was able to teach in my subject area and I was also able to participate in/volunteer for activities which enabled me to engage in community outreach. I enjoyed the community outreach as much as I enjoyed my teaching. My working relationship with my co-workers and management was satisfactory and it enhanced my satisfaction with my job.
Pros
Good working relationships with fellow faculty and staff and my students.
Exellent
Director of Basketball Operations/ Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 21, 2017
WKU is an excellent organization to work for. All employees are serious about their jobs and are there to only help the student. The leadership is amazing and understand.
Pros
Great culture and leadership
Cons
Pay
This was a positive experience as the job provided an opportunity to demonstrate example as a leader in the History Department.
Graduate Assistant, History (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 19, 2016
The Graduate Assistant job was rewarding at times. Tutoring students who were legitimately making an effort to do a good job was a good feeling. The research work with Professors varied from very challenging to the extremely mundane. The compensation was low, but this was to be expected from a state institution; and a poor state at that. Management was adequate. The job culture was tolerable, but there was little sense of a team effort in anything. I would call it an every man/woman for himself environment.
In conclusion, a typical day for me entailed serving in the on-call center for two hours from 8 AM-10 AM. This time was mainly spent doing schoolwork; as Professors rarely were absent. I would spend three hours in the afternoon tutoring students in the History Department's Success Center. This was the best part of the job. The work for various Professors whom I had been assigned to assist with research was often the worst part of the job; as unfortunately, many times this entailed making thousands of copies or converting documents to PDF's; for example. This was a mind-numbing experience.
Pros
There were banquets at the start of each semester, The opportunity was there to demonstrate your knowledge in front of many Professors, Helping students see the light on what was required, for example, to write a good research paper, was extremely rewarding.
Cons
Much of the research work could not be accurately called research.
Excellent University
Adjunct FacultyRNBSN (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 28, 2017
Excellent University for the new and seasoned faculty. It provides nurture to faculty and students. Great first time experience, provides great opportunity to work and home life.
Pros
Excellent environment
Cons
NA
Low paying job with very nice superiors
Studio Technician (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 19, 2017
The people in charge made this very difficult job a much more pleasant experience. The pay is minimum wage, and it's difficult to get very many hours, but this is no fault of the art department. We have much lower funding than any other area at WKU, of course.
productive, friendly environment
Desk clerk (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 22, 2017
check the security of the keys and building
check id's of residents
check in guess of residents on log sheet
answer incoming calls
communicate effectively with parents and residents
provide resources for residents
Best Hospital
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 17, 2017
It is the world class top hospital in India with top renowned doctors and surgeons.The nursing stuff I worked with are very friendly and they give the interns the chance to learn.
Dont work for DFM
Bsa (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 9, 2016
The supervisors are idiots. Only a few team leaders actually do what they need to do other than that they just drive around or sit around doing nothing. I hated working there. Being a bsa you work so hard and dont get paid enough yet supervisors get $15 an hour and do nothing to earn that. All they do is stand around at DFM, walk around their buildings every so often and just sit in their office. They never give you a direct answer half the time and the only way you move up is if you have your head up management's butt. They expect you to do so much in a short amount of time and if you dont get it done your punished even when they know it was to much to handle.
Pros
None at this department
Great working environment
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 10, 2016
As a student worker I have always felt valued. My class schedule was always worked around. My work day is laid back... i pull reports and enter data for a majority of my time.
Pros
experience, connections
Friendly and fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 9, 2013
The crew I had was a great bunch who worked hard and helped out one another. My crew took projects and completed them fully and never hesitated to ask for assistance if needed.
I learned all the skills/machines/ products for the job and kept learning to improve myself.
Hardest part about the job was getting management to listen to my concerns and/or ideas for my job or employees to make the job of employees or myself manageable.
Most enjoyable times on the job was when my crew and I would have a project and see the completion.Also to be able to have fun together as a crew while doing projects.
Pros
holidays paid, chances for overtime, discount in higher education, some of the benefits were good
Cons
short lunch, pay scale could have been better, raises were lame, management could have been better knowledge of staffs jobs
good
Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYOctober 31, 2016
good school, good professor, good friends. good co-worker. good superviser. good advisor good working time. bad pay rate.
good
bad
Loved Learning and Higher Education
Student Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 11, 2016
Wow, how time flew and I met some of the best people in the world. Its crazy what a little reading will do you someone. I have some of the most state of the art news studios to practice in daily.
Great Work Environment with Excellent People
IT HELPDESK STUDENT CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KY 42101May 8, 2016
I have worked as a Student Helpdesk Consultant for two and a half years. The work environment was very relaxed, and the management very reliable and approachable.
Pros
Relaxed, Open, Amazing Management.
Recruiting
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 1, 2016
Great job to work at. I have had one of the best learning experiences of my life. Going to work each day was full of excitement and wonder. I loved my office family and looked forward to the great new opportunities that presented itself each day!
Excellent University
Lead Research Assistant, Nano Materials (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 7, 2016
Western Kentucky is an excellent university to expand your knowledge base in the field of chemistry. I found learning there was an enjoyable experience.
Nice working environment
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 16, 2016
This is a nice and friendly working environment. My co-workers were great in cooperation, supervisor was very straight forward and clear about what goals needed to be achieved.
Productive work place
Building Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 14, 2016
Enjoyed working for the company. So thankful that I was allowed the opportunity to have my classes paid because of the job as well. Thank you WKU
Work place relations
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 2, 2016
Work studies are not considered as part of the WKU team. However, they are considered a great asset.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Kentucky University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5