Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 5, 2015
They have wonderful mentors. This institution facilitates a great learning experience both in the classroom and outside of it.
Fun and Productive
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 21, 2014
I enjoyed working at WKU for a variety of reasons. Fun and friendly staff with excellent guidance and a great resume builder. All the coworkers are all really great and they have a wonderful attitude. I wish I was able to stay for longer!
OFFICE ASSISANT (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 4, 2014
Loved working in the kind of environment and settting. Loved my co-workers.
Fun place to work
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 24, 2014
I loved the people I worked with, they felt like family. I made great connections.
Excellent balance of work, life, and school
Graduate Resident Intern/Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 16, 2014
The GSKy Teach program at Western Kentucky University is an excellent way to get involved in teaching for the recent science or math graduate. You receive a six week summer training followed by a year of student teaching paired up with a mentor teacher. Four days a week you spend teaching and Fridays you have class. Because you aren't the teacher of record you have a small amount of freedom to have your life and enjoy and explore Louisville. But because you are still doing a lot of the teaching, prepare to spend a lot of time grading, planning, writing reflective pieces, and calling parents. But you are guaranteed three years working afterward.
Pros
great benefits, good balance, very good support
Cons
tight budget for a family
WKU is good employer
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 10, 2014
I enjoyed working at WKU, and I wish there was a position available for me to stay there. I worked in a research laboratory and also taught biology labs. My co-workers varied, as graduate students come and go so quickly.
Adjunct Instructor since Fall semester 2007
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJune 4, 2014
I taught one-two undergraduate courses for WKU-O which typically met Wednesday afternoons/evenings.
At WKU I learned about being part of a regional campus and the relationship of that campus to the main campus in Bowling Green, KY which was new to me. I also learned that teaching juniors and seniors in college is a different experience from teaching freshmen and sophomores; I liked each for different reasons.
I was warmly welcomed as part of the faculty and everyone was willing to help and support me. I had less frequent interactions with either administration or other staff as WKU-O has a much smaller enrollment compared to the community colleges locally.
Management changed once while I was there but with a smooth transition; the focus through my years there was to transition away from renting space on OCTC's campus and move WKU-O to its own new facility across the street. The new facility was wonderful.
My co-workers were very supportive, though I met few of them, except at instructor orientations at the beginning of each school year. My favorite moment was meeting and presenting with the instructor who teaches courses on death and dying; we team taught the chaplain staff at Owensboro Health (the large hospital in Owensboro) on issues of religious and cultural sensitivity in a healthcare setting.
The hardest part of the job was the low pay and lack of benefits, which is attributable not so much to WKU-O but to the state legislature of Kentucky with their continual budget cuts to higher education. WKU did allow for a raise in 2011 and I was also paid for my mileage as I commuted
  more... to work each week from Henderson.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students learn and advance their education, and helping them succeed in my course and at WKU-O in general.
Pros
helping students succeed in higher education
Cons
low wages / no benefits
Fun, friendly learning environment
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 23, 2014
Teachers treated me fairly and impartially, prepared me well for my career
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 16, 2014
Great colleagues!
Great environment!
Fun teaching and research!
Enjoy summer vacations!
Pros
freedom in teaching and research
Cons
below average salary
Fun ecological research
STUDENT RESEARCH (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KyMay 8, 2014
Student research hours so not really a job, still was fun and good for experience.
gota good experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  campus computer labApril 24, 2014
Tutoring undergraduates and Monitoring Computer department labs.
. Grading respective undergraduate courses

Learnt a lot
Productive and fun workplace
Representative (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 10, 2014
W.K.U. was a good place to work. My colleagues were friendly and more than happy to help with any assistance I asked for.
Pros
lots of food days
Cons
the pay wasn't great, but my job wasn't all that hard either.
Independent Learning Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 8, 2014
Through this position, I had the opportunity to manage my own classroom and design curriculum.
Getting a MS
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department if AgricultureApril 1, 2014
great place to work while getting your degree! Great work environment. Other graduate students are helpful. Professors are great. The hardest part is having time for everything. The best part is having friends and coworkers that can help you!
Great Place To Work
Basic Skills for College Teaching Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 12, 2014
I worked in a house on university property. My boss was very open-minded and progressive. She would do everything in her power to help me grow as a person professionally and personally. I enjoyed the many books, articles and web sites that she would share with me. At the same time, she gave me complete freedom to manage my time and work schedule the exact way that I wanted. I could work from home or school. Of course, if my students needed me, I would have to meet them at the university.

I was given many opportunities to lead and grow. I helped update our teacher certification program, hosted workshops and seminars, lead workshops and seminars, occasionally managed student workers, led the first ever book faculty and staff book club and wrote articles for our teaching newsletter.

I never had a dull day at work. My students always asked challenging questions and forced me to continually view teaching from the eyes of a novice. I loved the fact that I was helping produce graduate teachers across the curriculum in many different departments on campus.
Teaching adult
Spanish Professor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KyJanuary 31, 2014
I was a Spanish professor. I taught at night hours. My mentor was wonderful.The hardest part was having 30 students.
Pros
adult enviroment
Cons
young adult not responsible sometimes
very educational and productive
IVS Facilitator (Former Employee) –  glasgow, kyJanuary 24, 2014
I made sure all equipment was properly working and overlooked classrooms during lectures.
Good Experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 23, 2014
Great experince helped with school drill only once per month
Pros
helped pay for school
Cons
drill weekends were sometimes boring
Good company.
IT Helpdesk Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 19, 2014
Multiple networking opportunities. Room for upward movement. Management is receptive to new ideas.
great working and learning environment
Graduate assistant, student assistant (Former Employee) –  finance deptDecember 5, 2013
learning about the work ethics.
how to plan and organize events.
coordinate with professors for career and recruiting campaigns.
team leader in distributing and tutoring.

4.5