Western Kentucky University

Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

High energy fun job
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJune 18, 2013
Pros: keep in shape, learn alot, networking
Cons: brutal schedule
In charge of early morning workouts of the WKU football team. Learned how to implement and create workouts. The other coaches and clients were easy to get along with. Hardest part was getting your players motivated sometimes. It was always a great feeling at the end of the workout.
Facility Student Supervisor (Current Employee), Bowling Green KentuckeyMay 21, 2013
As a student worker working with students you never knew what was going to happen.
Student Lab Manager (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYMay 6, 2013
Enjoy working at the university while attending college. Valuable experience and proud to be a hilltopper.
It is not hard work.
Custod (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYApril 29, 2013
Pros: they treat us fair and give us free turkeys for thanksgiving every year.
Cons: we do not get to change are time if we wanted another schedual.
I like working for the university because they have great benifits and it is not back breaking work. My co-workers are great to work with.
Highly Competitive, good starting point
Special Teams Coordinator/Academic Liaison (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYMarch 22, 2013
WKU does not pay their employees very much, but they provide a competitive atmosphere that allows their employees to learn at a fast rate. Most people are better for having worked at WKU because they learn how to make big things happen on a small budget.
great teaching experience
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: professional learning experience
I enjoyed working with students who were at the end of their learning experience and honing their knowledge base. I enjoyed the development of teaching materials such as power point presentation and lecture using life experience as examples of material. I was gifted with a great staff who assisted me in adjustment of teaching at the university level.
great teaching experience
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: professional learning experience
Learnt a lot while teaching students
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYFebruary 12, 2013
Lab Assistant
Taught Java
Researcher in the field of Software Metrics
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee), Bowling green KYJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: peaceful city
Cons: researchers are paid very less
The day starts at 8 am and goes on until we finish our work. Since the university has very poor infrastructure for research we waste too much time doing a lot of menial things. As a result the efficiency is less and we do not have enough time for personal life. Co-workers are great to work with. The best part of the job is that we get to learn a lot.
Great University and place to work!
Student Office Associate (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 23, 2013
My position was mostly administrative. This University offered a great environment for both students and employees. Management is flexible and supportive of your development.
Friendly and fun
Supervisor (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: holidays paid, chances for overtime, discount in higher education, some of the benefits were good
Cons: short lunch, pay scale could have been better, raises were lame, management could have been better knowledge of staffs jobs
The crew I had was a great bunch who worked hard and helped out one another. My crew took projects and completed them fully and never hesitated to ask for assistance if needed.
I learned all the skills/machines/ products for the job and kept learning to improve myself.
Hardest part about the job was getting management to listen to my concerns and/or ideas for my job or employees to make the job of employees or myself manageable.
Most enjoyable times on the job was when my crew and I would have a project and see the completion.Also to be able to have fun together as a crew while doing projects.
Normal workday for office enviroment
Kentucky Teacher Internship Program (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYOctober 15, 2012
Pros: university life
Cons: state funding
It was a great job.Handling incoming calls and mail, greet visitors, resolve inquiries. Create and maintain databases for participants in programs offered by The Center and KTIP program. Created various reports and forms for teacher interns and training records or their committee members. Liaison for 38 school districts for Interns, Resource Teachers, and Principals. Create forms, brochures, certificates of attendance, processed payroll and travel vouchers for university personnel. Processed monies received, transaction reconciliations, and issued invoices and checks when needed.
Building Service Attendant (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYSeptember 20, 2012
Great team enviroment, and good people to work with. Very busy and fast paced.
Enjoyable workplace with lots of laughter.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Owensboro, KYSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: work schedule, co-workers, students are wonderful.
Cons: i prefer to teach more classes.
Rewarding employment, classes are taught mostly at night at the Owensboro Extension Campus, the students are wonderful as are the co-workers.
Great workplace, college friendly.
Desk Clerk, Housing & Residence Life (Former Employee), Bowling Green KyAugust 26, 2012
Pros: meeting new people everyday.
Cons: sometimes overworked and underpaid.
A typical day at work being a Desk Clerk for WKU, was amazing I sat behind a desk and interacted with my peers and others younger than me. I served as a mentor and the go to person. Working with this particular staff happened to be all male and me being the only female besides my boss. It was very helpful I learned how to cope with attitudes and all the male beings around myslef. The area of work was a dorm where all men lived also so that was fun to listen to their problems they would come hang out at the desk and interact with me. When their parents would come to visit the college on a regular day, game day or anything else that would be going on on campus they met me in their sons dorm. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with a resident whom didnt like to follow the rules or sneaking girls upstairs but I seem to get through to some of them and I didnt really have any other problems. My supervisors were both amazing people with big hearts, easy going and laid back sometimes I had to step in because they were new to the position and I have had experience with Housing and Residence Life for about 4 years at WKU. Overall I loved my job kind of sad that I graduated.
Very Productive with excellent break periods.
Custodian and Housekeeper (Current Employee), Bowling Green, KYAugust 19, 2012
Pros: benefits and retirement is good and uniforms are provided.
Cons: i do not like the night shift because i am a day person, not a night person.
Good management, but do not like the night shifts because you don't get much rest. There is not much enjoyment for family life working at WKU.
Western is a great school!
Grad Researcher/Lab Instructor, Organic Chemistry (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYAugust 7, 2012
Pros: small town atmosphere.
Cons: the hill!
Beautiful campus, many classes offered during each semester, including summer. Focused on growing the doctoral degrees offered.
Great atmoshpere
Quality Control Coach (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYAugust 2, 2012
met and learned alot from some great people. great perks as I received a free education and also clothes. Also got to travel.
Educational
Helping Hand of Hope (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYJuly 12, 2012
Pros: willing to work around my schedual.
Cons: only pay minimum wage.
Creating and maintaining files for new clients. Signing individuals up for agency programs, and interviewing clients to check required documentation ensuring applicants meet the income based requirements.
I learned to Created a Baby Supplies Drive through advertisement, advocating for donations, and signing up low-income families to receive supplies. Purchase, inventory, and store supplies. Issue clients' food and clothing. Provide office automation support.
All Things Western
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJuly 1, 2012
Pros: educational environment
Cons: overwhelming at times due to extreme workloads
Working for WKU was undoubtedly some of the best years of my life. I enjoyed learning daily and interacting with individuals who always wanted to teach you something new. Depending upon which function I was performing made each day different. I loved teaching, doing research, helping my students, working in the lab, and being the go-to for my fellow students.

Western Kentucky University Salaries