Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Great Place To Work
Basic Skills for College Teaching Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMarch 12, 2014
I worked in a house on university property. My boss was very open-minded and progressive. She would do everything in her power to help me grow as a person professionally and personally. I enjoyed the many books, articles and web sites that she would share with me. At the same time, she gave me complete freedom to manage my time and work schedule the exact way that I wanted. I could work from home or school. Of course, if my students needed me, I would have to meet them at the university.

I was given many opportunities to lead and grow. I helped update our teacher certification program, hosted workshops and seminars, lead workshops and seminars, occasionally managed student workers, led the first ever book faculty and staff book club and wrote articles for our teaching newsletter.

I never had a dull day at work. My students always asked challenging questions and forced me to continually view teaching from the eyes of a novice. I loved the fact that I was helping produce graduate teachers across the curriculum in many different departments on campus.
Great job. Independence to perform at my best.
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 14, 2015
Autonomy, Leadership, fun job. Most enjoyable part of job was working with students. No other information will be provided at this time.
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 16, 2014
Great colleagues!
Great environment!
Fun teaching and research!
Enjoy summer vacations!
Pros
freedom in teaching and research
Cons
below average salary
Educational
Helping Hand of Hope (Former Employee) –  Radcliff, KYJuly 12, 2012
Creating and maintaining files for new clients. Signing individuals up for agency programs, and interviewing clients to check required documentation ensuring applicants meet the income based requirements.
I learned to Created a Baby Supplies Drive through advertisement, advocating for donations, and signing up low-income families to receive supplies. Purchase, inventory, and store supplies. Issue clients' food and clothing. Provide office automation support.
Pros
willing to work around my schedual.
Cons
only pay minimum wage.
Fun, friendly learning environment
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 23, 2014
Teachers treated me fairly and impartially, prepared me well for my career
All Things Western
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 1, 2012
Working for WKU was undoubtedly some of the best years of my life. I enjoyed learning daily and interacting with individuals who always wanted to teach you something new. Depending upon which function I was performing made each day different. I loved teaching, doing research, helping my students, working in the lab, and being the go-to for my fellow students.
Pros
educational environment
Cons
overwhelming at times due to extreme workloads
Great for Student Worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 6, 2015
A student worker job at Western Kentucky University has flexible hours and allows me to work 20 hours so that I have time to study.
great teaching experience
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 23, 2013
I enjoyed working with students who were at the end of their learning experience and honing their knowledge base. I enjoyed the development of teaching materials such as power point presentation and lecture using life experience as examples of material. I was gifted with a great staff who assisted me in adjustment of teaching at the university level.
Pros
professional learning experience
Very rewarding
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 5, 2015
This position goes above and beyond for at risk students. We offered programs to enrich arts and humanities along with teaching how to achieve their dreams and future.
Pros
watching kids believe in themselves and their future.
Cons
grant funding-ended
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Bowling green KYJanuary 28, 2013
The day starts at 8 am and goes on until we finish our work. Since the university has very poor infrastructure for research we waste too much time doing a lot of menial things. As a result the efficiency is less and we do not have enough time for personal life. Co-workers are great to work with. The best part of the job is that we get to learn a lot.
Pros
peaceful city
Cons
researchers are paid very less
Great Place
Volunteer Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 27, 2015
Experiences here are great. Coaches have been long term with a bundle of experiences to learn from. Positions are limited and so is pay.
Great workplace, college friendly.
Desk Clerk, Housing & Residence Life (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green KyAugust 26, 2012
A typical day at work being a Desk Clerk for WKU, was amazing I sat behind a desk and interacted with my peers and others younger than me. I served as a mentor and the go to person. Working with this particular staff happened to be all male and me being the only female besides my boss. It was very helpful I learned how to cope with attitudes and all the male beings around myslef. The area of work was a dorm where all men lived also so that was fun to listen to their problems they would come hang out at the desk and interact with me. When their parents would come to visit the college on a regular day, game day or anything else that would be going on on campus they met me in their sons dorm. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with a resident whom didnt like to follow the rules or sneaking girls upstairs but I seem to get through to some of them and I didnt really have any other problems. My supervisors were both amazing people with big hearts, easy going and laid back sometimes I had to step in because they were new to the position and I have had experience with Housing and Residence Life for about 4 years at WKU. Overall I loved my job kind of sad that I graduated.
Pros
meeting new people everyday.
Cons
sometimes overworked and underpaid.
Laboratory setting job with many interesting challenges
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 12, 2013
While working here I was a teaching assistant or a laboratory manager. While teaching I had two classes of 10 students and taught a research methods lab. While a lab manager I was responsible for recruiting participants, collecting data, analyzing the data, designing experiments, and conducting background research.
High energy fun job
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 18, 2013
In charge of early morning workouts of the WKU football team. Learned how to implement and create workouts. The other coaches and clients were easy to get along with. Hardest part was getting your players motivated sometimes. It was always a great feeling at the end of the workout.
Pros
keep in shape, learn alot, networking
Cons
brutal schedule
I was an undergraduate researcher
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 11, 2015
Not really much to say, I would do research when I wasn't doing homework, studying or in class. The professors and other students were always up to having some fun in order to have a break from the daily grind.
Getting a MS
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department if AgricultureApril 1, 2014
great place to work while getting your degree! Great work environment. Other graduate students are helpful. Professors are great. The hardest part is having time for everything. The best part is having friends and coworkers that can help you!
Fun and Productive
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 21, 2014
I enjoyed working at WKU for a variety of reasons. Fun and friendly staff with excellent guidance and a great resume builder. All the coworkers are all really great and they have a wonderful attitude. I wish I was able to stay for longer!
fun work place like working with the people
Facilities management Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYApril 21, 2012
houskeeping learne how hard it is to keep a school cleanmost i like is meeting different people
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
short breakes, free lunch
Great learning experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 5, 2015
They have wonderful mentors. This institution facilitates a great learning experience both in the classroom and outside of it.
Enjoyable workplace with lots of laughter.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYSeptember 16, 2012
Rewarding employment, classes are taught mostly at night at the Owensboro Extension Campus, the students are wonderful as are the co-workers.
Pros
work schedule, co-workers, students are wonderful.
Cons
i prefer to teach more classes.

4.5